PDA

View Full Version : Improving My Will Saves

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-07, 08:26 PM
My DM has recently decided to allow me to play a true xenotheurgist and i want to be able to build up my will saves to the maximum, mostly to keep my incursions in check.

My question is what feats and equipment should i use to do so.

Link to Xenotheurgy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103

My scores (as rolled) are as follows: 10, 16, 17, 13, 18, and 15

I'm a human and the Xenotheurgist gains a feat that allows you to use your highest mental ability score for Will saves (Charisma gives a -1 penalty on Will saves and a +1 bonus on the DC, while Intelligence gives a +1 bonus on Will saves but also a -1 penalty on the DC).

Also in our game humans gain a +2 bonus to any one score.

I'm taking two flaws (Vulnerable & an Undecided) and a trait (Detatched) as well

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 08:34 PM
What manner of stat spread are you working with? In any case, Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor) is obvious, as is Cloak of Resistance. You'll want to max one stat and get that stat to Will-saves; you can get Wis (obviously), Cha, Int or Con (Cha can be gained multiple times) to it. Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) grants +1 Competence and Luckblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade) +1 Luck and a reroll.

Keen Intellect [DR319?] for Int, Force of Personality [CAdv] for Cha and Steadfast Determination [PHBII] for Con. Pally-levels and such can add Cha to Will-saves too. Other than that, miscellaneous bonuses like magical boosts (Conviction gives notable Morale-bonuses and Recitation some Luck to Will-saves; Cleric-spells both), Iron Will/Cumbrous Will and various feats that give it as a side dish (e.g. Mage Slayer) do something but generally you want more than Iron Will's effect for investing feats to something like this. So there.

Also, not failing on 1 is good; Pride-domain granted power does that and Luck-domain granted power (and Luckblade, Mantle of Second Chances [MiC] and company) allow single reroll per day. There are also Luck-feats in Complete Scoundrel for that, but they are again a bit inefficient use for feats, and more restricted rerolls in any case. You can gain any Domain granted power with a feat: Planar Touchstone [PlH] bound to Catalogues of Enlightenment allows you to acquire any one Domain Granted Power.

Glimbur
2010-06-07, 08:38 PM
Feats:
Iron Will is boring, kind of expensive for a feat slot, but broadly applicable.

Cumbrous Will from Savage Species builds on that for a larger bonus, if you can deal with the fear.

Steadfast Determination(PHB II) is nice if you want to dump Wis and have lots of Con, but it requires Endurance to take.

If you spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld: Enigma Helm and another on Bonus Essentia, you can get +2 Enhancement to will save.

Items:

Cloak/Vest of Resistance. If you're on a budget, consider the armor enhancements that only apply to one save, choose Will. Those are in Magic Item Compendium. There's probably more stuff in the MiC but I'm too lazy to dig it out. Sorry.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-07, 08:44 PM
Iron Will worth 2000 gp (from WBL) gained through Otyugh Hole magical location.

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-07, 08:52 PM
Edited OP to show the basics for my character.

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-08, 09:56 AM
Iron Will worth 2000 gp (from WBL) gained through Otyugh Hole magical location.

What book is this in, i haven't seen it before

Eldariel
2010-06-08, 10:01 AM
What book is this in, i haven't seen it before

It's in Complete Scoundrel. Magical locations basically require expediture/doing something and give you either temporary, or permanent bonuses for it. Otyugh Hole has value of 2000gp and involves spending some time amidst various horrors and gains you a feat that represents stronger mind; Iron Will is an option.

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-08, 04:33 PM
Anything else i could use, i find it rather hard to believe that this is all that's out there

Thurbane
2010-06-08, 09:42 PM
Scorpions Resolve feat (Sandstorm): no prereqs, +4 bonus on saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities.

MIC has Mindarmor armor enhancement (3000gp for +5 untyped bonus to saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities as an immediate action 3/day). Also, Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (face slot, 10000gp) for permanent +4 insight bonus to Will saves.

Eldariel
2010-06-09, 05:52 AM
Anything else i could use, i find it rather hard to believe that this is all that's out there

Generally save-boosting is about class levels and spells, not feats and equipment. What we've covered is the most of it. There's some Morale-bonus source but I can't remember one right now and beyond that, most is covered. Stat boosting in your key stat (off which you derive your Will-save) and getting what's listed here should be good enough.

Incorrect
2010-06-09, 07:18 AM
Spend a feat on getting the maneuver Moment of Perfect Mind from ToB
A Concentration check in stead of Will.

Its a lot easier to max a skill

Person_Man
2010-06-09, 08:53 AM
I'm too busy to read the wall of text right now. Can you give us the 2 sentence version of Xenotheurgist?

You can become immune to Mind Affecting Effects with Deformity (Madness), from Elder Evils. I'm not sure if it will cover your needs, but it should cover 90% of normal Will Saves.

Mantle of Second Chances: Reroll one die once per day. Rerolls are very important, because Saves always fail on a natural 1. 6,000 gp, DMG II pg 269. No reason you can't buy more then one of them, and switch them out after use.

Binder 8 (with the Improved Binder feat) will let you bind Balam, which gives you a reroll once every 5 rounds. Binder 10 (again, with Improved Binder) will let you bind Haures, which grants Mind Blank. Binder in general is chock full of Will protecting special abilities.

Enigma Helm soulmeld grants Non-Detection, and investing essentia into it improves your Will Save. Binding it to your Crown chakra grants Immunity to Charm.

But I agree with Eldariel - Save-boosting is about class levels and spells. If you want strong Saves the most efficient way of doing so is to build a class combo with strong Saves, or to be a full caster or in UMD or Arcane Schooling (Player’s Guide to Faerun).

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-09, 09:29 AM
I'm too busy to read the wall of text right now. Can you give us the 2 sentence version of Xenotheurgist?

Spellcaster that can cast spells at will but has a chance of going insane (unless they make a will save) each time they cast and it gets harder toresist each time they cast a spell. Multiclassing increases the chaotic madness within causing them to suffer a -2 penalty on will saves whenever they multiclass.

Thurbane
2010-06-09, 10:12 AM
Is it a mind-affecting effect?

If so, feat Willing Deformity (Madness) (EE) will make you immune at the cost of -2 WIS. Ironic, if it works...

EdroGrimshell
2010-06-09, 10:45 AM
Is it a mind-affecting effect?

If so, feat Willing Deformity (Madness) (EE) will make you immune at the cost of -2 WIS. Ironic, if it works...

No, it's the far realms taking a bit of your sanity when you use the breach (equivalent of spells) so it's not actually mind-affecting.

Incorrect
2010-06-10, 03:55 AM
My previous advice about taking the feat Martial Study (ToB) to get moment of perfect mind var pretty bad.
Spend 1500g on a Novice [Item] of Diamond Mind, granting you the maneuver moment of perfect mind once per encounter, and boost your consentration. Maybe it wont improve all the Will saves you have to make, but one you wont fail is a good start