PDA

View Full Version : +1 LA Template that changes creaturetype?

Escheton
2010-06-07, 09:01 PM
Anyone happen to know a +1 template that could change a living construct into an animal, abberation, magical beast, dragon, fey, monstrous humanoid, humanoid, plant, giant or vermin?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-07, 09:02 PM
It's actually an LA-2 template from savage species called Incarnate construct. Turns you humanoid.

Yes, you read that right. LA MINUS 2. Not plus.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 09:05 PM
It's actually an LA-2 template from savage species called Incarnate construct. Turns you humanoid.

Yes, you read that right. LA MINUS 2. Not plus.

This is a limit of a minimum to -0, assuming there is no LA there before. The trick to this is to do shenanigans with Warforged, like applying Draconic, Feral, and other very juicy +1 LA templates before slapping on the Incarnate Construct template.

As for the discussion itself, there's Half-Minotaur.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-07, 09:07 PM
Combine Incarnate construct with stuff like feral mineral warrior for beatsticks.... phrenic for casters.

Note: I think it is till debated whether Incarnate construct can be applied to warforged (which I assume you are using due the living construct subtype) but I believe that by RAW you can add it.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-07, 09:07 PM
This is a limit of a minimum to -0, assuming there is no LA there before. The trick to this is to do shenanigans with Warforged, like applying Draconic, Feral, and other very juicy +1 LA templates before slapping on the Incarnate Construct template.

As for the discussion itself, there's Half-Minotaur.

Half minotaur can only be put on Certain things. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think minotaur can breed with Contructs.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 09:08 PM
Whats the source/stats of a half-minotaur?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-07, 09:09 PM
Half minotaur can only be put on Certain things. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think minotaur can breed with Contructs.

A WIZARD DID IT!

Edit: Half Minotaur is from some dragon magazine I don0t know which one but they are in crystalkeep

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 09:13 PM

Nope, you can't, but it deserved mention to the main topic at hand.

As for the Incarnate Construct shenanigans, my favorite trick is to go Primordial Giant Incarnate Construct Phrenic (or Lolth-touched Draonic in place of Phrenic, for evil games) Warforged.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 09:18 PM
Inherited Template
that can be added to
any Small-sized to
Huge-sized Giant,
Humanoid, or
Monstrous
Humanoid.

That goes for most templates I see.

Now, what template that can be applied to warforged can boost int a lot?
Or indeed change type as the OP.

The idea is to keep the whole "healed by repair spells and only disabled when at -10 or worse" that makes warforged so awesome.

Thurbane
2010-06-07, 09:20 PM
I'm not that familiar with Eberron, but isn't there a Warforged PrC that has a capstone of turning them into biological beings?

Marriclay
2010-06-07, 09:31 PM
I'm not that familiar with Eberron, but isn't there a Warforged PrC that has a capstone of turning them into biological beings?

there's two PrCs like that. ones the Warforged Juggernaut, which makes you more like a construct, and then Reforged, which makes you more like a living thing. It doesn't change your type though, I think

Its_Meh
2010-07-26, 08:31 PM
Inherited Template
that can be added to
any Small-sized to
Huge-sized Giant,
Humanoid, or
Monstrous
Humanoid.

That goes for most templates I see.

Inherited templates are acquired at the character's birth (forging in this case), and must be applied first. You also have to apply templates one at a time and resolve the effects before moving onto the next template.

Now, what template that can be applied to warforged can boost int a lot?
Or indeed change type as the OP.

You can apply Half-Dragon, Half-Celestial, and Half-Fiend to the warforged, as they can be applied to any living creature.

Effectively, if it says it can be applied to any living creature or construct, then you can apply to the warforged. Just make sure the template actually has a level adjustment and not a dash.

The idea is to keep the whole "healed by repair spells and only disabled when at -10 or worse" that makes warforged so awesome.

Then you won't want to apply Incarnate Construct. Incarnate Construct removes all of the Attack Modes, Special Attacks, and Special Qualities of the creature it is applied to. Thus, you would lose that special quality.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-26, 08:33 PM

As there are no rules for breeding I don't think it's mechanically illegal to have a Half-Minotaur Warforged. :smallsmile:

Lhurgyof
2010-07-26, 08:39 PM
As there are no rules for breeding I don't think it's mechanically illegal to have a Half-Minotaur Warforged. :smallsmile:

I see what you did thar.

CubeB
2010-07-26, 09:13 PM
Not all templates have that restriction.

Many templates can be applied to any living corporeal creature, which makes them options for Warforged.

Darrin
2010-07-26, 09:32 PM
Anyone happen to know a +1 template that could change a living construct into an animal, abberation, magical beast, dragon, fey, monstrous humanoid, humanoid, plant, giant or vermin?

The go-to for constructs, as has already been mentioned, is usually the Incarnate Construct template, but it has some mechanical issues.

Try Corrupted Creature (BoVD). LA is undefined. This changes you to an aberration.

Gelatinous Creature (SvgSpc) might also work, also changes you to an aberration, but does wonky things with your stats... although you can get Int back up to 3 by adding the Pseudonatural template after that.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-26, 11:45 PM
Unseelie Fey is a template that can be added to any living creature type to turn you into a fey, so living construct is fine. It's in Dragon Compendium on page 223. Best of all, it's +0 LA.

Its_Meh
2010-07-27, 06:08 PM

Aside from the fact that Half-Minotaur can't be applied to Constructs?

The go-to for constructs, as has already been mentioned, is usually the Incarnate Construct template, but it has some mechanical issues.

Such as losing all Attack Modes, all Special Attacks, and all Special Qualities, leaving a warforged in pretty sad shape. It should never be used for a normal, vanilla warforged.

Unless you are playing the character for pure roleplaying value. Then it could be useful, but you'll lose out on all of the benefits of a warforged. Just keep that in mind.

Try Corrupted Creature (BoVD). LA is undefined. This changes you to an aberration.

Gelatinous Creature (SvgSpc) might also work, also changes you to an aberration, but does wonky things with your stats... although you can get Int back up to 3 by adding the Pseudonatural template after that.

The question should be asked if he is going to be playing this character or having it around as a monster. If he is going to be playing it as a character, then he can't take these templates, as they are for NPCs and not PCs.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 06:21 PM
thread necro much?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-27, 06:25 PM
Such as losing all Attack Modes, all Special Attacks, and all Special Qualities, leaving a warforged in pretty sad shape. It should never be used for a normal, vanilla warforged.

Unless you are playing the character for pure roleplaying value. Then it could be useful, but you'll lose out on all of the benefits of a warforged. Just keep that in mind.

You can also throw +2 LA worth of templates on there before you slap on the Incarnate Template. Lolth-touched and Draconic being my first two choices, as they're both primarily +stats with little else to them. The template also lowers you natural armor bonus to a certain minimum, which, for warforged, translates into a net increase in AC.