PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian of the Blood Talon [PEACH]

Fable Wright
2010-06-07, 09:27 PM
Hit Die: D12.

Starting Gold: As barbarian

Class Features

Class Skills: As barbarian

Weapon and armor proficiencies: They are proficient with light armor and martial weapons, as well as the bola and blow dart.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Pain touch

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Pain throw

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Bleeding blow

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Blood frenzy

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Channel the Pain, sickening blow

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Bloodletter(2), Reckless disregard

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Winding blow, Suppress agony

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Blood rage

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Bloodletter(3), Nauseating blow

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Death frenzy

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Exhausting blow

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Bloodletter(4), Greater blood rage

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Distracting blow, Pain drain

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Recall agony

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Returning pain, My Pain is Yours, Bloodletter(5)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Acid blood

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Burst the Vessels, Agony blade

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Bloodletter(6), Exploding heart

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Recall death, Fell blade

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Ultimate blood fury[/table]

Descriptions of class powers:
Pain touch: At 1st level, the Barbarian of the blood talon (BBT) can inflict some of the pain to others. When the barbarian is below maximum HP, they have access to pain points equal to max HP- current HP. The access to these points can dry up if the character is healed, and the character may only use 10 points per level per day. These points can, initially. be only used to deal 1.5 points of damage per point expended in a touch attack (rounded down). If the attack misses, then the points are wasted.

Pain throw: The character can make a ranged touch attack at a single target within 30 ft to deal 1 points of damage per pain point invested in the attack.

Bleeding blow: The character may reduce the damage dealt by any attack to cause a bleeding wound. For every three points by which damage is reduced, the wound bleeds for one hit point of damage per round. He cannot reduce the damage of an attack by more than his current pain point total, nor can he reduce it below 1. This effect is applied after any Damage Reduction the target may have.

The wound continues to bleed until the target receives at least one hit point of magical healing, or is treated with the Heal skill (DC 15 check, requires a standard action).

Blood frenzy: The character has learned to twist their bodies in painful ways to deal more damage to their foes. They can, on any attack, take 1 point of damage (up to class level) to deal twice that to an opponent hit by their attack. The character must declare the use of this power before they make the attack, they take damage regardless of whether or not the attack hits.

Channel the Pain: The character can now add pain points to the damage rolls of any attack, as if they were using pain touch.

Sickening blow: The character can reduce the damage dealt by an attack by 3 points of damage to inflict the sickened condition to any opponent hit by the Barbarian's attack.

Bloodletter(x): The character can reduce damage dealt from an attack by 5 points of damage per attack, maximum x, to deal x points of damage to one of the opponent's stats.

Reckless disregard: When making a charge, the character can reduce any number of points from their AC and add them to their attack roll.

Winding blow: The character can reduce 3 points of damage in order to make an opponent fatigued.

Suppress agony: The character can spend 3 pain points in order to neutralize fatigue, and sicked status conditions from themselves, and 5 points to neutralize poison, exhaustion, and nausea.

Blood rage: One of the character's signature abilities, they can add any number of points (up to class level) of to strength, dexterity, for constitution for 3+ new constitution modifier rounds, after they which they sacrifice 1 point of ability damage, rounding up, per 2 points of bonus they gained from their stats as a cost to activate the ability.

Nauseating blow: The character, instead of sickening the target, can nauseate him instead with sickening touch.

Death frenzy: The character can, at any time, go into a death frenzy. The character can sustain the frenzy for as long as 3+con mod rounds (the duration changes if their con changes, as well). During this time, they are treated as having -10 HP for the purpose of pain points, they get a +6 bonus to strength, +6 bonus to dex, and they are immune to mind effecting spells at that time, as well as death by HP damage. At the end of the frenzy, they immediately become nauseated, exhausted, and at -10 HP.

Exhausting blow: The character can now exhaust someone with a winding blow instead of just fatiguing them.

Greater blood rage: The character now only takes 1 point of ability damage per 3 points added to any one stat.

Distracting blow: The character can reduce the damage dealt by an attack by 3 points of damage to make a distracting blow, which forces a spell caster to make a concentration check for the next 3 rounds when they try to cast a spell, they must make a concentration check (DC = damage dealt +3) or else they lose the spell.

Pain drain: The character can transfer damage, maximum 2 points/level, from another character, healing their wounds and damaging themselves.

Recall agony: At will, when they damage someone using 5 pain points, they can instead use those points to use recall agony as a psi-like ability, CL equal to their class level. The saving throw is constitution-based.

Returning pain: The character can choose, as a free action, to take any number of points of damage dealt to themselves as their bodies reopen new wounds. The character gets a bonus on their next damage roll = 3*the damage taken.

My Pain is yours: The character can now expend 5 points of damage on their attack roll to transfer one status condition the have to the opponent (poison, exhaustion, nauseation, etc.).

Acid blood: The spell of the same name constantly effects the character.

Burst the Vessels: The character busts several of their blood vessels in this attack. They can take 1 point ability damage in order to add 5 points of damage to their damage roll for the attack, and then takes 3 points of HP damage, but effects everyone within 5 feet with damage from the acid blood power.

Agony blade: The character can reduce the damage dealt in an attack by 5 points of damage on their damage roll to stun an opponent until the beginning of the barbarian's next turn. The character can make a fortitude save (DC = 10+class level + con. modifier) and merely be dazed instead.

Exploding heart: The character can cause the heart of opponents to literally explode, causing irreversible damage in an opponent. A character can choose to negate all damage dealt by a bloodletter attack dealing at least 5 points of ability damage. The opponent must make a fortitude save (DC = damage dealt) or die. They take the ability damage even if they save, though.

Recall death: The character, when using recall agony, may instead use recall death instead.

Fell blade: The character can, up to 3 times per day, make a fell blade attack. They can throw their weapon to target up to 3 opponents within 30ft, hitting each of them with a wickedly sharp blow that has all of the effects of a single damage boost (e.g., blood frenzy) on the damage roll against each enemy. Feats suck as power attack and cleave apply to this attack.. The weapon flies back to the character at the end of the throw.

Ultimate blood fury: The character now takes 1 point of ability damage for every 4 points he raises a stat using blood fury

The tribe of the blood talon was raised by a barbarian/frenzied berserker who, after taking enough damage over his lifetime, eventually learning to enjoy the pain. He, being the strong warrior that he was, founded a tribe in the mountains based on his ideals. The children raised in the village learned to enjoy pain, and the tribe was shunned by most other races. Eventually, some of the (even more) crazy blood talon barbarians launched a suicide raid on some of the rival tribes. After seeing the damage that a couple of these barbarians could do on a suicide rampage, the chieftains of the surrounding barbarian clans wiped out most of the blood-talon clan, leaving only a few. These trained a select few others in their art, and became rare, but highly valued mercenaries. Several tribes of blood-talon barbarians have been formed, taking different individual clan names, but they still unite under the banner of the blood-talon tribe if any of the clans are in trouble, and in offering their services as mercenaries.

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 09:31 PM
Hit Die: D12.

[the rest pending]

The Barbarians of the red talon are suicidal maniacs who want to watch the world burn. I made this class for a friend, so PEACH. (note: I cannot write detailed descriptions)

You need to flesh out the rest of the class abilities before anyone can really give an honest critique. Otherwise we can't tell you if the abilities are balanced or not?

Fable Wright
2010-06-07, 09:33 PM
I know. Things IRL to prevent me from finishing now*cough* English Project *cough*

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 09:37 PM
I know. Things IRL to prevent me from finishing now*cough* English Project *cough*

*grins* Study will do that to you!!

PM me when you've finished? I'll come back to this thread and grab a look.

Fable Wright
2010-06-09, 11:55 AM
I updated it; it's now done. PEACH away.

Volthawk
2010-06-09, 12:53 PM
Gotta admit, I like the idea of Blood Rage. Does the ability damage have to be done to any particular stat? Also, be careful of Restoration. It is available around the same time as Blood Rage and heals all ability damage, so you can ignore the drawbacks and enjoy huge bonuses, as long as you have a cleric around (or someone with UMD). Just letting you know.

mrcarter11
2010-06-09, 12:53 PM
Well, I am new. So my knowledge on balance is limited. But the class looks nice, I think it would fun to play. Would like to see class fluff, but if not possible o well. Um, a lot of the abilities have lackluster wording. Coming to mind are the bleeding blow and your rage ability. Although that could just be me. If I had to guess, it isn't the most balanced thing, but it isn't terrible.. And there is my PEACH (can I even say that)

EDIT: I see a lot of these.. Are the save or die attacks really fair? I don't mean just hb stuff, but in general?

jiriku
2010-06-09, 02:59 PM
Class Skills: You need them.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: You need them too.

Pain Touch: Requiring division in order to figure out how many pain points you have available is unnecessary. Change the formula determining pain points to (max HP-current HP) and double all pain point costs. This eliminates the need for division.

Bleeding blow: Recommend you change the wording as follows:

The character may reduce the damage dealt by any attack to cause a bleeding wound. For every three points by which damage is reduced, the wound bleeds for one hit point of damage per round. He cannot reduce the damage of an attack by more than his current pain point total, nor can he reduce it below 1. This effect is applied after any Damage Reduction the target may have.

The wound continues to bleed until the target receives at least one hit point of magical healing, or is treated with the Heal skill (DC 15 check, requires a standard action).

I'd recommend that throughout the list of class features you should use the concept of "reduce" instead of "sacrifice", as it communicates your intent more clearly.

Blood Rage: Too powerful. At middle levels, doubling a character's physical stats could easily provide bonuses on the order of +10 to hit, +15 damage, +5 AC, +50 hp, and +5 to Fort and Ref saves.

Agony Blade: DC is improbably high. Suggest you use DC = 10 + class level + Str bonus, or possibly DC = damage dealt.

Distracting Blow: DC is too low. 10 + damage dealt is more appropriate.

My Pain is Yours: Don't use dazed as an example. Dazed characters can't attack, so it's not possible to attempt to use the ability while dazed.

Exploding Heart: Excessive damage, and not party-friendly. If he fails a save vs. a death attack, he could TPK the whole group. Given the ease of access to resurrection at this level, you probably don't want to tempt players to use the barbarian as a suicide bomber.

Returning pain: A terrible ability. PCs are usually outnumbered, and high-level monsters usually have very large hit point totals, so a 1:1 trade is a very bad trade, especially since Channel the Pain already allows the character to trade pain points for damage at a 3:1 ratio.

Fell Blade: Weak for its level. Other classes can already kill a roomful of opponents at range, so a power that kills a single opponent in melee with you isn't very impressive. Suggest you grant this ability about 4 levels sooner. DC needs to be adjusted as mentioned for Agony Blade.

Fable Wright
2010-06-09, 04:54 PM
Ok, updated. Thank you jiriku, I edited it. Please critique accordingly. Fluff to come.

Fable Wright
2010-06-09, 05:10 PM
Gotta admit, I like the idea of Blood Rage. Does the ability damage have to be done to any particular stat? Also, be careful of Restoration. It is available around the same time as Blood Rage and heals all ability damage, so you can ignore the drawbacks and enjoy huge bonuses, as long as you have a cleric around (or someone with UMD). Just letting you know.

it specifically mentions strength, dexterity, and constitution. Also: I know.

One more thing: jiriku, the characters doubling their stats would die immediately afterwards. Others would be rendered unable to do much anything. Either way, I changed it, but I'm just letting you know.

Fable Wright
2010-06-09, 10:11 PM
No comments?

zenanarchist
2010-06-10, 12:41 AM
The point system is awesome. I like the versatility this has as incurred by how much damage you take. Very variable and thus hard and fun to play.

The overall concept is pretty damn spanky as is. But as for balance well...that one you'll have to ask someone else.

To me it SEEMS balanced but then I've played D and D a total amount of times of: one.

But the sexyness of it is good and as I said the point system per damage incurred is pretty spanky. Gets more powerful the more HP you have versus the damage you can handle. Which is just awesome.

Blood Talon suits to a tee.

mrcarter11
2010-06-10, 01:17 AM
I like it the class, I must admit I am tempted to play it.. If you don't mind and all.. Um, balance idk, I am not the right person, but seems fair enough. As for the name, it suits it. Although from the first ability, I just kept thinking is a masochistic barbarian.. Hm, a sadist rogue next?? Anyways, any chance of you writing class fluff?

jiriku
2010-06-10, 01:23 PM
One more thing: jiriku, the characters doubling their stats would die immediately afterwards make themselves immune to ability damage first.

Fixed it for ya!

Blood Rage: Still OP. Also, D&D rounds all numbers down. Don't abandon tradition! To balance this ability, consider leaving the bonus cap alone, and eliminating the ability damage penalty, but requiring the character to take the ability damage up-front as a sacrifice cost in order to activate the power. Making it a cost, rather than an effect, means that it can't be reduced or avoided, although it can still be healed later. Paying it up-front reduces the effective amount of the bonus enough to balance the ability.

So, example:
Original Stats: level 8, Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18
Sacrifice: 4 ability damage to all stats
Buffed Stats: Str 16 (24), Dex 12 (20), Con 14 (22)
Hangover Stats: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14

Fable Wright
2010-06-11, 12:27 AM
Corrected. Also, if they took it up front, then they only get +1 to a stat for the duration. That's why the sacrifice is after it ends.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-11, 05:47 PM
You got the flavor just right, I can tell because I was constantly cringing as I read it. :smalleek: