PDA

View Full Version : Blood of the Elementals - New Races, Feat, and Class [PEACH]

dragonfan6490
2010-06-07, 09:50 PM
Howdy fellow Playgrounders!

Its been a while since I posted anything, so here is a new race, feat to go along with said race, and a prestige class. If ya'll have any ideas for more fluff, feel free to add it too. So without further ado, I present the Teg'hynd for your viewing pleasure.

The Race of the Teg’hynd

The Teg’hynd are a race of quasi-elemental beings who are the chosen descendants of the Elder Elemental gods and inhabit the Teg’hynd Islands. The Teg’hynd are closely related to the Genasi and Half-Elemental races and consider these races to be their “cousins”. Each Teg’hynd is born with an Elemental Affinity which determines their role in society. They are relatively human looking, but often have some sort of trait that reveals their Elemental Affinity. Occasionally, a Teg’hynd will be born with two affinities, and are considered to be blessed by the gods and destined for greatness. Regardless of their role, the Teg’hynd live in a very egalitarian society, where all Teg’hynd are equal citizens.

Air Teg’hynd are lithe and agile creatures who have a wispy air about them and a wit to equal their agility. They often have fair skin and hair, which seems to be in a perpetual state of movement. Air Teg’hynd are generally laid-back and “go where the wind takes them” and are thus the most likely to be seen adventuring. They also make up the majority of the noble class and diplomats of Teg’hynd Society, with the other Teg’hynd making up a smaller percentage.

Earth Teg’hynd are stout and strong creatures who have an innate connection to the earth and a stubbornness equal to that of the Dwarves. They often have darker, tougher skin and coarser hair than their counterparts. Earth Teg’hynd are strong and dependent, but are seen by others as stubborn, slow to react, and “stuck in their ways”. They are rarely seen adventuring as they make up the majority of the working class and craftsmen of Teg’hynd Society.

Fire Teg’hynd are quick and intelligent creatures who emit an inner heat and arrogance. Their eyes often show an inner flame and their hair is often fiery in coloration. Fire Teg’hynd are often brash, hot-headed, and impulsive and are thought of as “passionate to the point of obsessive”. They are natural leaders but can be very unpredictable. They make up a significant population of the military and smiths of Teg’hynd Society.

Water Teg’hynd are adaptable and wise creatures who have a very calm demeanor about them. They have light eyes and their hair seems to have a natural fluidity. They are very graceful and flexible, seeming calm one moment and flying into a tempest in the next. Being so adaptable, the Water Teg’hynd are the most varied of the Teg’hynd in their role in society, but do make up the majority of Seers and Scholars in Teg’hynd Society.

All Teg’hynd have the following traits:
Type: The Teg’hynd are Humanoids with the Elemental Subtype.
Medium size: Teg’hynd are medium sized creatures with no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Darkvision: Teg’hynd have darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunities: Teg’hynd are all immune to poison, disease, and sleep.

In addition, the Teg’hynd each have an elemental affinity, that they are born with, which chosen at first level. This affinity determines certain bonuses as well as special abilities which are gained based upon the number of hit dice the character has.

Air Teg'hynd
Air Teg’hynd: +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution.
Air Teg’hynd have no need to breathe air and can exist indefinitely without air.
Natural Armor: +1 Natural Armor bonus.
Special
1 HD: At one hit die, Air Teg’hynd have Electricity Resistance 5.
4 HD: At four hit die, Air Teg’hynd are able to cast Feather Fall at will.
7 HD: At seven hit die, Air Teg’hynd gain Electricity Resistance 10.
10 HD: At ten hit die, Air Teg’hynd are able to cast Lightningbolt 1/day as a Sorcerer of their character level.
13 HD: At thirteen hit die, Air Teg’hynd gain Electricity Resistance 20.
16 HD: At sixteen hit die, Air Teg’hynd are able to cast Control Weather 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
19 HD: At nineteen hit die, Air Teg’hynd gain Electricity Immunity.
Level Adjustment: +2

Earth Teg'hynd
Earth Teg’hynd: +2 Strength, +4 Constitution.
Stability: Earth Teg’hynd receive a +4 bonus to their combat maneuver bonus when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Natural Armor: +4 Natural Armor bonus.
Special
1 HD: At one hit die, Earth Teg’hynd have Acid Resistance 10.
5 HD: At five hit die, Earth Teg’hynd are able to cast Stoneskin 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
9 HD: At nine hit die, Earth Teg’hynd gain Acid Resistance 20.
13 HD: At thirteen hit die, Earth Teg’hynd are able to cast Earthquake 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
17 HD: At seventeen hit die, Earth Teg’hynd gain Acid Immunity.

Fire Teg'hynd
Fire Teg’hynd: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence.
Natural Armor: +2 Natural Armor bonus.
Special
1 HD: At one hit die, Fire Teg’hynd have Fire Resistance 10.
4 HD: At four hit die, Fire Teg’hynd are able to cast Fireball 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
7 HD: At seven hit die, Fire Teg’hynd are able to cast Fire Shield 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
10 HD: At ten hit die, Fire Teg’hynd have Fire Resistance 20.
13 HD: At thirteen hit die, Fire Teg’hynd are able to cast Firestorm 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
16 HD: At sixteen hit die, Fire Teg’hynd have Fire Immunity.
19 HD: At nineteen hit die, Fire Teg’hynd are able to cast Elemental Swarm 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level to summon Fire Elementals.

Water Teg'hynd
Water Teg’hynd: +2 Constitution, +4 Wisdom.
Water Teg’hynd are able to breathe while underwater indefinitely.
Swim Speed: 60 feet.
Natural Armor: +2 Natural Armor bonus.
Special
1 HD: At one hit die, Water Teg’hynd have Cold Resistance 5.
4 HD: At four hit die, Water Teg’hynd are able to cast Produce Water 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
7 HD: At seven hit die, Water Teg’hynd have Cold Resistance 10.
10 HD: At ten hit die, Water Teg’hynd are able to cast Control Water 1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
13 HD: At thirteen hit die, Water Teg’hynd have Cold Resistance 20.
16 HD: At sixteen hit die, Water Teg’hynd are able to cast Cone of Cold1/day as a Sorcerer of their level.
19 HD: At nineteen hit die, Water Teg’hynd have Cold Immunity.

New Feat: Bonus Affinity
Once in a great while, a Teg’hynd is born with a second Elemental Affinity and functions as a Teg’hynd of two types.
Prerequisites: Must be selected at level 1 and be of the Teg’hynd Race.
Benefit: Functions as a Teg’hynd with two Elemental Affinities taking the higher bonuses and gaining all of the abilities of both Affinities. For example, a Teg’hynd with the Air and Earth Affinities would have +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, and +4 Constitution, Natural Armor +3, and all of the Hit Die related abilities of both races.
Special: Bonus Affinity can only be taken once.

New Prestige Class: Omni Caster

The Omni Caster is a rare and powerful Teg’hynd who has gained affinity for all the elements. Omni Casters are considered to be outside of Teg’hynd Society and all Teg’hynd revere them as powerful lords and sages. All Omni Casters have Dual-Affinities and must encounter another Omni Caster to realize their potential.

Prerequisites
Race: Teg’hynd
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Knowledge (Planes) 2
Feats: Bonus Affinity
Special: Must be exposed to an Omni Elemental
Hit Die: d6 Skills: 2+Intelligence Modifier Class Skills: Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (All), Linguistics, Profession, Spellcraft

{table]Level |Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +0 |+0 |+0 |+0 | Bonus Affinity
2nd |+1 |+0 | +0 |+0 |
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Bonus Affinity
4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Mastery of Elements [/table]

Bonus Affinity: At first and third level, an Omni Caster gains Bonus Affinity as a bonus feat.

Spellcasting: At 2nd and 4th level, an Omni Caster gains new spells and spells per day as if they had gained a level in a previous Spellcasting Class.

Mastery of Elements: At fifth level, an Omni Caster is able to substitute the energy type of their Spell Like Abilities.

Edit: Removed +1 to existing spellcasting class from Omnimancer

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 09:55 PM
I would try just a little formatting into tables.

Add some bolds and italics to differentiate.

It's flavoursome for sure, but....so hard to read and define between sections and changes in points.

Format and when you update again I'll pop back for a look? :smallsmile:

flabort
2010-06-07, 10:03 PM
I would try just a little formatting into tables.

Add some bolds and italics to differentiate.

It's flavoursome for sure, but....so hard to read and define between sections and changes in points.

Format and when you update again I'll pop back for a look? :smallsmile:
seconded. really.

Fable Wright
2010-06-07, 10:08 PM
... you know that the PrC is really powerful, right? <insert munchkin here>, switching out different elements to negate elemental resistance, and then a duskblade... with really powerful stat bonuses... etc. Enough said.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-07, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I know its powerful, and they would have the elemental resistance of all the Teg'hynd subraces. Its somewhat balanced by its poor BAB, Fort, Ref, Will Saves, and d6 HD, which I may change to d4. And the bonuses overlap rather than stack, I don't know if that changes anything, but still.

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 10:17 PM
... you know that the PrC is really powerful, right? <insert munchkin here>, switching out different elements to negate elemental resistance, and then a duskblade... with really powerful stat bonuses... etc. Enough said.

Before I get to the above. The post is a LOT easier to understand now... Good job.

Secondly, in regards to the above. I'm afraid I've got to second. Ouch at the munchyness of it. You could really throw around your weight with this, a lot more so than you should be able to. Dull it a little?

dragonfan6490
2010-06-07, 10:18 PM
Would taking out the increased spellcasting nerf it any?

dragonfan6490
2010-06-08, 07:00 PM
No comments on the race itself? Is any of it relatively balanced?

flabort
2010-06-08, 07:54 PM
I don't understand the race improving as hitdice are gained, but there may be other races like that, so I may be just making a fuss over nothing.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-08, 08:03 PM
I don't understand the race improving as hitdice are gained, but there may be other races like that, so I may be just making a fuss over nothing.

Half-Elementals gain abilities as their hit dice improves and if I'm not mistaken, so do a few other templates that I can't think of right now and I liked the idea of it.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-15, 06:31 PM
Bump? No one has any thoughts on the balance of these races?