PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstorm Blade and Dungeon Crashing

Rasman
2010-06-07, 11:08 PM
I've been thinking and thinking on a new character for a terribly deadly game a friend is running. I was thinking something powerful but not too cheesy. I've always liked the idea of the guy that gets so bad that he just starts throwing his weapons at you, hell, he starts throwing everything at you and makes you go...oh ****. That's where I helped make my friend a Paragon Kitten with Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything. But as I was working on my character, this thought crossed my mind. "What if he threw it so hard he crushed you into a wall and THAT dealt damage too?" Ok, so it's kinda cheesy, but for this campaign it's got to be something strong. I'm just not quite sure if it's even possible to mix BsB and a Dungeon Crasher build, especially within 13 levels or at least close. Master Thrower will probably get in there after BsB, but if it's playable with Dungeon Crasher before that, I'm good with it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-07, 11:54 PM
6 fighter levels for dungeon crasher, 1 warblade level, 4 levels of bloodstorm blade (all you really need) and 2 master thrower levels makes 13 levels. Add in a source of flight (I'd suggest raptoran, as it's nonmagical flight) and you can fly above people and smash them into the ground.

Rasman
2010-06-08, 12:23 AM
6 fighter levels for dungeon crasher, 1 warblade level, 4 levels of bloodstorm blade (all you really need) and 2 master thrower levels makes 13 levels. Add in a source of flight (I'd suggest raptoran, as it's nonmagical flight) and you can fly above people and smash them into the ground.

I figured something like that, probably more levels of Warblade later, but is it possible to Dungeon Crash with the Bloodstorm Blade attack, is mostly what I'm getting at?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-08, 12:42 AM
I figured something like that, probably more levels of Warblade later, but is it possible to Dungeon Crash with the Bloodstorm Blade attack, is mostly what I'm getting at?

Of course. A bull rush is made as a melee attack action, and Bloodstorm Blade turns ranged attacks into melee attacks, so it works just fine.

Rasman
2010-06-08, 12:53 AM
Of course. A bull rush is made as a melee attack action, and Bloodstorm Blade turns ranged attacks into melee attacks, so it works just fine.

ah, right...dur...I'm a little brain damaged at the moment...at work and such

another question because of drain bramage, does that mean that a BsB that just stands still can bullrush/dungeoncrash, multiple opponents in a round if he has multiple attacks?

Also, any suggestions for Cheese items?

Draz74
2010-06-08, 01:21 AM
I don't think BsB can bull rush at a distance unless he has an ability that lets him do so via a thrown attack, e.g. Knockback. He can't "make melee attacks" (including bull rush) at a distance; he can just treat thrown attacks as melee.

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 01:52 AM
Ah Draz, but he can do just that with the Thunderous Throw ability:

<snip>
As a swift action, you can chose to treat your ranged attacks with thrown weapons as melee attacks for the rest of your turn. You use your melee attack bonus, including Str bonus, feats, and so forth, to determine your attack bonus for each attack as normal, but you apply the standard modifiers for range penalties. Attacking into melee, through cover, and so forth incures the standard penalties.

In addition, you can apply 1-1/2 your Str bonus to damage if you wield the thrown weapon with two hands, and you can use Power Attack with your thrown weapon attacks (adding two times the number subtracted from attack rolls as a bonus on damage rolls when throwing a two-handed weapon.

Selections quoted for emphasis. The Knockback feat requires that you make melee attacks, and that you Power Attack while doing so. BSBs using Thunderous Throw satisfy both, and thus are eligable for the free Knockback bull rush every time they hit.

Fail at reading comprehension...

Rasman
2010-06-08, 02:00 AM
so, basically, I just need to add the Knockback feat in there and it's still viable?

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 02:07 AM
Short answer? Yes

Long answers? Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

Do note that the Knockback feat requires that you are either Large, or have the Powerful Build trait. That does limit you a bit, but Half Giant, Goliath, and Half Minotaur are all +1 LA options that qualify you, and the regional feat Jotunbrud, from PGtF is Powerful Build in every respect EXCEPT the name, so you might be able to swing it as well.

Rasman
2010-06-08, 02:10 AM
Short answer? Yes

Long answers? Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

hmm...large races only...any suggestions besides Goliath? Something semi-normal OR would Jorhutbrun work for this? I can't ever remember that feat name...

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 02:11 AM
Fear the ninja edit, for it contains much wisdom...

Rasman
2010-06-08, 02:19 AM
Fear the ninja edit, for it contains much wisdom...

lol...Ninja Edits are Ninja Much appreciated

and now we play the "working out the math of it" game...I hate this game...it's like the waiting game but...it has math...