PDA

View Full Version : Power Armor in 3.5

Seatbelt
2010-06-08, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking of making an NPC for a game I will be running and the guy with the Ooze PC got me thinking. Someone wearing what amounts to the Mjolnir Armor from Halo would make for a cool baddie I feel. What would be the best way to actually mirror something like that? Note I have no familiarity with psionics and very little interest in learning, and "warforged with adamantine body" is not an acceptable solution. Beyond that anything is game.

senrath
2010-06-08, 12:36 AM
Well, there is this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a).

chiasaur11
2010-06-08, 12:37 AM
Mialee hates power armor.

And I thought the hatred for her was largely irrational. How wrong I was.

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-08, 01:51 AM
Well, there is this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a).

That is so ridiculously awesome I'm considering getting it for my caster. So what if it has a 90% spell failure for me? It's power armour at it's best: With clockwork.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-08, 01:53 AM
Also, Dragonmech has power armor.

The Shadowmind
2010-06-08, 01:58 AM
That is so ridiculously awesome I'm considering getting it for my caster. So what if it has a 90% spell failure for me? It's power armour at it's best: With clockwork.

There is no mentioned ASF, if you get heavy armor prof. So the is +4 Strength and +4 Dexterity and other benefits worth a feat/other method?

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-08, 02:06 AM
There is no mentioned ASF, if you get heavy armor prof. So the is +4 Strength and +4 Dexterity and other benefits worth a feat/other method?

Who cares about the bonuses? It's clockwork power armour!

Seriously for a minute, with no ASF or AC penalty, for some builds it might actually be worth it, depending on how you get the proficiency. It's essentially an enchanted Full Plate with no penalties.

Fizban
2010-06-08, 02:12 AM
Another option is a suit of Mithral Mechanus Gear with the Nimble enhancement. You're wearing a suit of armor made of gears! With mithral and nimble you've still got room for a +4 dex bonus to AC on top of the +10 armor. Add a speed enhancer (for example, the effect of Boots of Striding and Springing) to overcome the additional speed penalty of the gear armor and you're set for that.

Emulating regenerating shields is the part where most people get hung up. I can think of two good ways to do it: either grant temproary hp every round, or use a mechanic like Stoneskin with DR X/- and a damage per round limit. Maybe 20/-, enough to negate weak attacks and severely blunt stronger ones, limited to 50 points per round.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-08, 02:40 AM
The best bet for nabbing proficiency would either be to Gish it up via Wizard 1/Eldritch Knight X/Dragonslayer 1/whatever else or simply blow a feat on Dodge and some cash for Iron Will to dip Dragonslayer 1 later in your wizardry career.

Ossian
2010-06-08, 02:55 AM
From the amazing Gigerstreak of the old WOTC star wars forum, via D20Wiki Crossover, here you have: HALO! (http://swrpg.wikispaces.com/Halo). He also did an amazing Dragonball Z conversion to star wars RCR.

Mark 6 Powered Armor -> magic power battle suit
DR: 8 (Adamantine negates)
AC Penalty: -2 (same)
Weight: 50 kg. (it s all right, there are "magic servos")
Max Dexterity Bonus: +3
Prototype Personal Shielding System: 20 Shield Points, Regenerate after one round of not taking any damage. (that is, you pretty much have a "DR 20" that soaks damage and regenerates)
Life Support: The suit provides full life support for 2 hours, with and internal air supply and protection against the most extreme environments, including vacuum. (some kind of "survival" spell with "permanency")
Strength Augmentation: The powered servos give the operator a +6 equipment bonus to Strength. If the operator does not have the Armor Proficiency (Powered) feat, not only does this bonus not apply, but the operator suffers a -6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity while in the suit.
Computerized Targeting System: +2 to Attacks (ranged only)
Sensors: The suit grants its operator the benefit of a pair of electrobinoculars, reducing the wearer’s penalty on Spot Checks to -1 for every 20 meters. Life Form Scanner gives a +4 to the wearer’s checks to spot a life form within 50 meters and can make spot checks on its own with a +5 modifier to the roll.
Comlink: The armor’s built in comlink has a range of 50 kilometers and can send and receive encrypted messages.
Powerlamp: Projects a light up to ten meters long.
Data Computer: Acts as a Master Crafted Datapad (+5) that can hold one data card or AI.
Diagnostics Package: The owner receives a +4 equipment bonus to Repair Checks made to diagnose problems.
Locked Access: DC 25 Disable Device to Access suit.
Integrated Shield Unit: provides energy resistance 5, allowing the wearer to ignore the first 5 points of energy damage each round. Once the shields have absorbed 25 points of damage, they shut down. The shields reset after the wearer takes no energy damage for 1 minute (10 rounds).

Escheton
2010-06-08, 03:34 AM
This is the Ironman powersuit for the warlock named Tony Stark.

Ossian
2010-06-09, 07:39 AM
This is the Ironman powersuit for the warlock named Tony Stark.

I thought tony was an Eberron artificer?

Anterean
2010-06-09, 07:54 AM
I know that I am repeating my self here to the point where I sound like a broken record, but if you have access to "More magic and mayhem" from the world of warcraft rpg line, the steam armour rules there might suit your needs.

The aforementioned clorkwork armour is pretty cool too.

Anonymouswizard
2010-06-09, 08:07 AM
There is some power armour in the starship troopers d20. But it's for a different game, go with the D&D armours above, unless you realy like it.

Person_Man
2010-06-09, 08:37 AM
Iron Man homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6900315&postcount=3), for the interested.