PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Techpriest PrC (updated, 1pm 6/10)

Sintanan
2010-06-08, 12:37 AM
Techpriest
{Insert PrC flavor. A picture would be nice, too.}
XXHit Dice: d6.

Entry Requirements
XXSkills: Knowledge (arcana and religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
XXSpellcasting: Able to cast 1st-level divine spells and able to cast 1st-level infusions.
XXSpecial: Must have the artificer knowledge class ability.

Class Skills
The techpriest class skills are: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
XXSkill points per level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]{colsp=7}Techpriest Class Progression
.|.BAB|Fort [br]Save|Ref [br]Save|Will [br]Save|.[b]Special|.[b]Spellcasting
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Artificer knowledge, relic spell power +1|+1 level of lower-level existing spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Bonus feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
3rd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Divine infusion|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
4th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Relic spell power +2|+1 level of lower-level existing spellcasting class
5th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Artisan techpriest|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
6th|+3|+5|+2|+5|--|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
7th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Relic spell power +3|+1 level of lower-level existing spellcasting class
8th|+4|+6|+2|+6|Bonus feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
9th|+4|+6|+3|+6|--|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/ [br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class
10th|+5|+7|+3|+7|Master techpriest|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/[br]+1 level of existing infusion casting class[/table]

[B]Class Features
The following are class features of the techpriest prestige class.
XXWeapon and Armor Proficiencies: The techpriest gains no new weapon or armor proficiency.
XXSpellcasting: At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, the techpriest gains new spells per day, infusions per day, and an increase in caster level (and spells and infusions known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in both a divine casting class and a infusion casting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.
XXAt 1st, 4th, and 7th level, she gains new spells per day, or infusions per day, and an increase in caster level (and spells or infusions known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in her spellcasting class with the lowest caster level. (For example, a 4th level cleric/1st level artificer who gained one level of techpriest would gain increased spellcasting ability as if she had gained a level of artificer since that class's caster level is lower than her cleric caster level. If all spellcasting classes have equal caster levels, the techpriest can apply this benefit to any of her existing spellcasting classes. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.
XXArtificer Knowledge(Ex): The techpriest adds her class levels to her artificer levels when making an artificer knowledge check.
XXRelic Spell Power (Ex): At 1st level, the techpriest's caster level for her divine spellcasting class and her infusion casting class increases by 1. It increases again at 4th level, and 7th level (to a maximum of +3).
XXBonus Feat: Starting at 2nd level, and again at 8th level, the techpriest gains a bonus feat. This feat must either be an item creation or metamagic feat. The techpriest may add her caster level from both her classes increased by relic spell power for the purposes of qualifying for feats.
XXFor example, a 3rd level artificer/4th level cleric/2nd level techpriest has a caster level of 5 for infusions and a caster level of 6 for divine spells would have effective caster level of 11 for determining which feats she may take (such as Craft Rod).
XXDivine Infusion (Su): The techpriest may charge divine energy into her infusions, allowing them to come to fruition sooner. At 3rd level the techpriest may sacrifice a daily use of her divine spellcasting to decrease the casting time of one of her infusions: Casting times of one minute or greater become a full-round action while casting times of less than one minute become a standard action. Infusions with a casting time of one standard action or less are not benefitted by this ability. The sacrificed divine spell must have a spell level equal to or greater than the infusion being cast. A divine infusion is considered a divine spell in addition to an infusion for the purposes of applying metamagic feats.
XXArtisan Techpriest (Su): At 5th level, the techpriest may now use Conjuration (healing) spells and the Heal skill on constructs as if they were humanoids.
XXMaster Techpriest (Su): At 10th level, the techpriest may now treat constructs as humanoids for the purposes of any spell or infusion cast by her. In addition, the she may also treat humanoids, monstrous humanoids, or giants as constructs for the purposes of any spell or infusion cast by her.

Changelog/Commentary[b]Edit #3 - 1 pm; 6/10/10
* Decreased bonus feats allotted (from 5 to 2).
* Reworked the caster level increase for bonus feat qualification.
* Reworked the wording on Artificer Knowledge class skill.
* Moved Master Techpriest from 9th level to 10th. (the capstone now)
* Added UMD to Techpriest class skill list.
The new wording on the Bonus Feat class feature might be too word-heavy, but I'm unsure of a simple way to explain and I do not believe another PrC does something like this so I can check on the wording.
Hopefully it is fairly balanced at this point and I can start on the flavor and fluff. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, DragoonWraith. (And I really should stop trying to homebrew stuff at 3 in the morning.)
---
Edit #2 - 3 am; 6/10/10
* Reworked Divine Infusion
* Added Relic Spell Power
* Reworked bonus feats
* Added Artificer's Knowledge
* Renamed two abilities for a better thematic fit
XXXXMaster Techpriest to Artisan Techpriest
XXXXGrandmaster Techpriest to Master Techpriest
* Changed entry requirements to a more thematic fit
Okay, vers 2. After applying further suggestions from DragoonWraith and fine tuning other abilities I believe I have successfully arrived at a PrC that allows divine spellcasters to dabble in advanced item creation like and Artificer, or allows Artificers to dabble in divine spellcasting while allowing for flavorful abilities to enhance the powers of both classes.
This PrC does resemble the Ultimate Magus a lot, as that was the base model for the design of class features. Hopefully the following class features are unique enough to allow this PrC to be an entity unto itself, rather than just a reflavored Ultimate Magus.
Once the numbers have been properly balanced, I will go about adding flavor to the PrC with a detailed description found with PrCs in published materials so that the Techpriest may find a loving home in the allowed homebrew folder of many D&D groups.
---
Edit #1 - 6/8/10
* Techpriest PrC posted in replacement of original post. Decided on 'techpriest' over 'divine craftsman.'
I must admit that while the layout from the UM works, some of the class abilities really didn't fit thematically and mechanically.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-08, 10:27 AM
Do you want to favor artifice or divinity? I strongly oppose the 3/3 entry given by most Theurgic PrCs, so I'd avoid that. You could actually... Hmm...

Prerequisites
Class Features
Ability to cast 1st level Divine spells.
Ability to cast 1st level Infusions.
Artificer Knowledge.
Turn or Rebuke Undead.
Skills
Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks.
Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks.
Spellcraft 8 ranks.

These prerequisites require 1 level of each Cleric and Artificer, as well as 5 levels total, but the exact mix is left up to the player, which I think is a good thing. Could then do something a la Ultimate Magus for the progressions. That sounds like an excellent chassis to me.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellcasting / Infusions
1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Artificer Knowledge,[br]Spell Power | +1 level of lower-level existing spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class[br]+1 level of existing Infusion-using class.[/table]

Sintanan
2010-06-09, 02:21 AM
Well, I took a crack at it. Dunno if I succeeded or not (first time really trying to homebrew something). Would appreciate feedback.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-09, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure how Divine Infusion would work; infusions have special rules that function differently from spells, I believe? Plus, don't you get rather few infusion slots to begin with? Finally, not sure why the level increase is necessary...

Also, the Bonus Feat thing is weird. I mean, say you're a Cleric 4/Artificer 1/Techpriest 2. You have Scribe Scroll, but missed out on Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item. You gain a level of Techpriest, and gain those two feats immediately? That seems very strange.

Better, I think, would be to say that you can add your Divine class levels to your Artificer caster level for the purpose of qualifying for Item Creation feats, and then just give a couple of Bonus Item Creation Feats, and let the character choose which to take.

Finally, I really, really like Master and Grandmaster Techpriest. Those are awesome.

Also, Spell Power on the half-dead spellcasting levels is recommended, as is advancing Artificer Knowledge, methinks.

Sintanan
2010-06-09, 11:09 PM
Alright. I have a few things to do first, but I'll apply these suggestions. I'll have to read up on artificer's knowledge (I think I'm mistaking it for a different ability off the top of my head).

I think I'll just do the simple route of artificer-plus-techpriest to determine what item creations feats the character can apply for, and then give bonus feats.

What I thought would be a good use of divine infusion wouldn't be without getting real rules-wonky.

I'll juggle some stuff around. I don't want this PrC to just end up a cookie cutter variation of UM, but I can see the benefits from spell power.

Finally, dunno if I should add UMD to the skill list. Advancing UMD would be nice, but I'm thinking UMD might cause the class to tread on the toes of the artificer too much to make artificer nothing more than a dip for character building.

Sintanan
2010-06-10, 06:04 AM
PrC updated. Changelog:
* Reworked Divine Infusion
* Added Relic Spell Power
* Reworked bonus feats
* Added Artificer's Knowledge
* Renamed two abilities
(Master Techpriest to Artisan Techpriest, and Grandmaster Techpriest to Master Techpriest)

Still unsure if UMD should go on the class skill list. (Reasoning explained in above post)

DragoonWraith
2010-06-10, 09:38 AM
Wow, you gave a ton of feats. That's, uhm, a lot. Three would have been a lot; two seems more reasonable. Plus you opened them up to Metamagic feats. That steps on the Artificer's toes far more than UMD.

But yes, it should have UMD. UMD is everything the Artificer does, it can't do anything without it.

The new version of Divine Infusion is excellent, though. I really like that.

Sintanan
2010-06-10, 04:13 PM
Wow, you gave a ton of feats. That's, uhm, a lot. Three would have been a lot; two seems more reasonable. Plus you opened them up to Metamagic feats. That steps on the Artificer's toes far more than UMD.Corrected: From 5 to 2. I agree, was way too many feats.

But yes, it should have UMD. UMD is everything the Artificer does, it can't do anything without it.Added UMD.

The new version of Divine Infusion is excellent, though. I really like that.Thank you. This is more what I intended in the first place, but I couldn't get the wording right so I went another way with it... which didn't work out.

Full changelog (edit 3):
* Decreased bonus feats allotted (from 5 to 2).
* Reworked the caster level increase for bonus feat qualification.
* Reworked the wording on Artificer Knowledge class skill.
* Moved Master Techpriest from 9th level to 10th. (the capstone now)
* Added UMD to Techpriest class skill list.

I'm worried that the new wording on bonus feat might be too word-heavy and lose its meaning.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-12, 09:48 AM
Hmm... You maybe should do something with this ideas of "Relics" - I mean, that sounds like a divine magic item. I know Magic Item Compendium has rules for Relics, which you could maybe look at, but you should try to fill in those dead levels with something unique.

Otherwise, looking quite good.