PDA

View Full Version : Generic Class (DnD 3.5)

Gnaritas
2010-06-08, 04:44 AM
I am toying with the idea of a generic class, one that allows a player to create it's own class in a way. Are there any other threads that have information on this? Also please criticise mine for things that could go wrong or are inbalanced.

It looks like this:

Generic Class
Hitdice: 1d4
Skills: 2
Saves: all low
BaB: 1/2
Special: 2 feats per level

In addition to the normal feats, a bunch of class-feats will be added, for which i currently have not have good names, nor good wording. Also i have only written down a few, there should off course be a lot more so every class feature should be available at some point:

Extra HP
You gain 1 hp + 1 hp/lvl. You cannot take this feat more than 4 times.

High Fortitude
You have high fortitude saves.

High Reflex
You have high reflex saves.

High Will
You have high will saves.

more BaB
You gain 1 BaB, your BaB cannot be higher than your HD.

Spell 1
You gain a level 1 spell slot.
You gain a level 1 spell known.
You choose to cast Divine or Arcane spells.
You use WIS as a casting stat if you chose Divine and CHA or INT as a casting stat if you chose Arcane. There are no bonus spells, but save DC's and being able to cast a spell are based on this stat.
The spells you can choose depends on whether you chose Divine or Arcane, you can pick any one class to take the spells from.
You can cast spells spontaneously as a sorcerer.
You can take this feat more than once.

Spell 2
Prerequisite: Spell 1, Generic Class 4
You gain a level 2 spell slot.
You gain a level 2 spell known.

Spell 3
Prerequisite: Spell 2, Generic Class 6
You gain a level 3 spell slot.
You gain a level 3 spell known.

Skills
You gain 3 skillpoints + 1 skillpoint/level.
You can take this feat no more than 6 times.

If you want to recreate a Fighter, you get this at level 6:

You take 3x Extra BaB
You take 3x Extra HP
You take 1x High Fortitude
You have 5 feats left (1 more than a normal Fighter 6)

If you want to recreate a Sorcerer, you get this at level 6:

You take 1x High Will
You take 5x Spell 1
You take 4x Spell 2
You take 2x Spell 3

You now have a sorcerer with no familiar, less spell slots per day (and no bonus spells). but more spells known. You do get to choose

So while the Generic Fighter 6 is better than a normal Fighter 6, the Generic Sorcerer is a bit weaker than a normal sorcerer.
This will only extend further as we progress in level, because the Fighter already bought almost all it's class features (it just needs to keep up BaB), so instead of 1 feat every 2 levels, it gets 3 feats every 2 levels. The Sorcerer needs to continue to use feats for spells to keep up....

I am hoping this kind of balances the classes a bit more as well as give players a lot of options to choose instead of the normal base classes.

Please give your comment!

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-08, 05:12 AM
This has been done before. That's not to say you've not got a valid version, but maybe you should check out the exisiting attempts.

There's this version (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm), in Unearthed Arcana, which has three generic classes.

There's this version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151404&highlight=class), here on the Playground boards.

And there's this version (http://www.rpglife.com/node/1075), which effectively does away with class and levels altogether.

There are, no doubt, more out there... somewhere... :smallwink:

EDIT: found the link!

Gnaritas
2010-06-08, 05:17 AM
Thanks, i like the "Buy the numbers"-idea a lot....!!!

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-08, 05:21 AM
Thanks, i like the "Buy the numbers"-idea a lot....!!!

It's not a bad idea, and a handy tool. The book isn't as fully formed as I'd like - it needs to actually give a table table of costs and such like.

Carefull with it now - it can get broken very easily.

Autopsibiofeeder
2010-06-08, 05:38 AM
I once toyed with a similar idea and made a thread here Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130242). It is relatively low-powered (Fighters come out stronger, casters weaker) and not quite finished yet, but it may give you an idea or two.