PDA

View Full Version : NeverEnding Dungeon - Rellayron Nur (Ditto)

Pages : [1] 2

NeverEnding DM
2010-06-08, 01:17 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=210551)

Ditto
2010-06-08, 03:36 PM
Rel tries to snitch the torch to bring with him, if it'll come loose, and opens the door to see what's ahead.

candycorn
2010-06-08, 03:43 PM
The torch comes loose, no problem.

When you open the door and look out, you see the passage go 35 feet south before ending. 5 feet ahead of you, the passage runs east. 25 feet ahead of you, the passage has a split to the east. 35 feet ahead of you (at the end of the passage), it goes east and west.

Ditto
2010-06-08, 03:55 PM
Confused... so the door opens South, and between this door and the end of the hall there are two branches east, plus the east-west passage at the end of the hall? Is the hallway lit?

Room
____
. |
. |--
. |
. |--
. |
.--|--

candycorn
2010-06-08, 04:02 PM
More Like:
___**___
...|***___
...|**|
...|**|
...|**|__
...|***___
__|**|__
_______

And no, the passage isn't lit. But a torch and low light vision lets you see quite far.

* is part of the passages.

Ditto
2010-06-08, 04:09 PM
Got it. I'll step outside and explore immediately east, right outside the door. I'll take my time scooting along and making sure the ceiling doesn't sneak up on me and kill me.

Move silently [roll0]
Search -Take 20- +7 = 27

candycorn
2010-06-08, 04:14 PM
Taking 20 takes 2 minutes per 5 foot square. Are you searching floors only? Walls and ceilings?

Ditto
2010-06-08, 04:43 PM
Floors will do, I suppose, since that's all I'm walking on. And I just woke up in a magical land where everything is probably going to kill me, so I'm in no hurry yet. :smallsmile: How far ahead does the first east path stretch?

candycorn
2010-06-08, 04:49 PM
The torch gives you normal light to 40 feet, and shadowy light to 80 feet.

The passage travels for 80 feet. At 10 feet, the passage splits north and south. At 30 feet, there's a door on the north side of the hallway. At 60 feet, the passage splits north and south. At 80 feet, the passage turns south. Also at 80 feet, there's a door on the east wall.

Ditto
2010-06-08, 08:16 PM
I'll take a few minutes careful advance to check out the first N/S corridor at 10'. Where do I see that leading?

I'm kind of curious to see how far I can go without opening a door. Probably a novel approach.

candycorn
2010-06-08, 09:12 PM
The passage goes north for 20 feet (and then turns east).

The passage goes south for 20 feet (and then turns west). There is a door 15 feet south of you, on the east wall.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 08:54 AM
I'll go north to look what's east, still moving super cautiously (Search 27).

candycorn
2010-06-09, 10:40 AM
You Travel 20 feet north.

The passage goes 10 feet east before turning north.

You travel 10 feet east.

The passage goes 10 feet north before ending. At 10 feet, the passage splits east and west.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 11:25 AM
Following the snaking corridor to the east-west junction.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 11:29 AM
The passage goes west for 30 feet. At 20 feet west, the passage splits north. At 30 feet west, the passage turns north.

The passage goes east for 50 feet. At 20 feet east, the passage splits north. At 30 feet east, there is a door on the south wall of the corridor. At 50 feet east, there's a door on the north wall of the corridor. At 50 feet east, the passage turns south.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 11:45 AM
I need to draw a map, shee... I will go east and take the first (only) North branch that way.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 11:49 AM
Along the way, you discover a pit trap (halfway between the intersection and the split north). A jump check (DC 10, or DC 5 with a running start) will get you over it.

The passage goes 10 feet north. 10 feet north, there's a door on the north wall. 10 feet north, the passage turns east.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 12:47 PM
I've got a fearful penalty to my jump check. I think I'd actually be better climbing down and back up the other side. I assume the pit covers the entire width of the hallway? How deep is it? Can I trigger it to drop the floor without actually stepping on it, or would it be possible to use Disable Device to attempt to jam the trigger/sensor?

candycorn
2010-06-09, 12:51 PM
"Disabling" a pit trap collapses the floor safely. Jamming the floor to stop it from falling isn't possible. It is 20 feet deep. The hallway is 5 feet wide, as is the pit. It's a 5x5 pit.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 01:20 PM
If it's just a flat plain pit, I'ma try bypassing it the long way. I'll knock the floor in, climb down, and back up again. That's a Use Rope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useRope.htm) check to affix my grappling hook (+3 skill, +2 for silk rope), [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm]Climb[/url=] down (+3 skill), shake the hook loose and throw it back up the other side, and Climb up.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on your toes with computing DCs, and definitely let me know if I forgot to add in any modifiers. Just trying to make my crawling slowly along a little more expedient.

UR: [roll0] vs DC 10 (affix grappling hook)
Climb down: [roll1] vs DC 10 (rope with wall to brace against)
UR: [roll2] vs DC 14 (10 + 2 for each 10 ft I'm throwing the grappling hook)
Climb up: [roll3] vs DC 10 again

I guess the first UR fails... but wait, I'm reading the entry again. Do I need to make a check to secure the rope at the top, right in front of me?

candycorn
2010-06-09, 01:38 PM
Yes, you have to make a check. The second Use Rope works, and once you add in all the climb bonuses (-5 for perpendicular wall, -10 for a chimney with an opposite wall). With your +5 modifier and a base DC of 20 (with -15 modifiers), you can make the climb check without a rope, on a roll of 1.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 02:05 PM
Great! My lousy first roll is sufficient then. My math is weak. That's what DMs are for!

I'll pack away the rope and continue to the north and around the corner to the east, past the door.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 02:25 PM
When you head east, you see a red notecard hanging on the wall ahead of you.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 02:41 PM
I should like to read this notecard.

What's ahead in this east-leading corridor?

candycorn
2010-06-09, 02:48 PM
The passage goes east 10 feet to the notecard, then turns north.

You turn the card over. It reads as follows:"BOOM!"
[roll0] force damage
The passage leads north 30 more feet. At 20 feet, the passage splits east. At 30 feet, the passage splits east and west.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 03:39 PM
Figures. I'll burn my Inflict Light Wounds to cast CLW [roll0] Back up to full health.

I'll move up to look down the east branch, then look at where the east-west split leads as well.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 03:43 PM
The east branch goes east 30 feet. At 25 feet, there's a door on the south wall, with a red and white painted bull's eye on the floor in front of it. At 30 feet, the passage turns south.

The east/west split: Runs east for 20 feet, and turns north. Also runs west for 20 feet, and turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 03:48 PM
A bullseye, you say? No thanks!

I'll continue my North-and-east prowl as far as that'll take me.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 03:54 PM
After taking the east split, you go 20 feet, and it turns north. The hallway goes north 50 feet. After 25 feet, there's a door on the west wall. After 50 feet, the passage turns west.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 04:04 PM
Continue North to the west turning.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 04:06 PM
You search the square north of you, and manage to walk 5 feet forward... And your torch sputters out, plunging you into pitch black darkness.

You've been in this dungeon 1 hour. Congratulations.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 04:15 PM
That's sad. I'll light my lantern then. If you think this would be prohibitively annoying to do in the dark, I will cast Light on the burnt-out torch for now. As the 10 minute casting approaches its expiration, I'll light the lantern then. (Note: Hearthfire cubes last for 24 hours. I have 12 cubes.)

And continue north and west in the mean time.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 04:22 PM
Oh, no. Lighting a lantern in the dark reminds me of so many wonderful horror movies. Fumbling around in your pack for the lantern... Striking the flint and steel, seeing it light up a foot ahead of you... Wondering what each strike will reveal.

I love those kinda movies. Go right ahead. ^.^

After lighting your lantern, you continue north to the west turning. The passage runs west for 30 feet. At 20 feet, the passage splits north and south. At 30 feet, the passage turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 04:24 PM
Continue onward in the non-terrifying dark to look N/S, and then look at the far N corridor.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 04:30 PM
You find another pit trap, just before the north/south intersection. After crossing it, you find the following.

At the intersection, the passage runs south for 10 feet, and turns west. The passage runs north for 10 feet, and turns east.

The far north corridor runs north for 40 feet. At 20 feet, there are doors on both sides of the hallway. At 40 feet, the hallway turns east.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 04:33 PM
I will go south and west briefly, just to see if it leads to a long corridor headed south. (I'm making a map!)

I will then take the farther, west path headed north and east past the two doors. North and East is my favorite! :smallsmile:

Headed home for the day, catch you later/tomorrow.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 04:39 PM
The passage goes east for 10 feet, then turns north.
It goes north for 10 feet, then turns west.
It goes west for 20 feet, then turns south.
It goes south for 20 feet, then turns west.

The passage extends 30 feet west.
At 20 feet, the passage splits to the north.
At 30 feet, the passage turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 08:46 PM
id that south and west passage indeed link up to the long parallel corridor from before?

A squiggle, what fun! Just for kicks, I will search the north wall of the first westward passage in the squiggle (20 ft) for secret doors 'n' junk. Moving forward, I will look down each of the northerly passages to see what northerly adventures lie ahead of me. Hopefully one that leads east.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 08:52 PM
You find no secret doors.

The first passage north extends 20 feet, then turns west.
The second passage north extends 10 feet, then turns west.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 10:37 PM
First north passage (20 ft), an onward west.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 10:39 PM
The passage goes west 20 feet, then south.

10 feet south, the passage splits east.
30 feet south, the passage turns east.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 10:48 PM
It seems this is a circle... I take the first east path, confirming that it leads me back to where I just was. (Is this accurate?)

If so, I'll search the inner walls I've just walked in a circle around for anything interesting. And maybe I'll discover that someone really felt it was important to build a path in a little loop to keep the local mason's union employed.

If I find no explanation for this circle path, I will continue with the 30 ft south --> east path.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 10:53 PM
It seems this is a circle... I take the first east path, confirming that it leads me back to where I just was. (Is this accurate?)

If so, I'll search the inner walls I've just walked in a circle around for anything interesting. And maybe I'll discover that someone really felt it was important to build a path in a little loop to keep the local mason's union employed.

If I find no explanation for this circle path, I will continue with the 30 ft south --> east path.

It does lead you back.

You don't find anything unusual in the loop.

At the east path that was 30 feet south, the passage runs east for 30 feet.
At 15 feet, there's a door on the south wall.
At 30 feet, the passage turns south.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 10:57 PM
I will take the South path.

I'm going to get turned in a circle now that I'm away from my map! :smalltongue:

candycorn
2010-06-09, 11:02 PM
The path goes south for 70 feet.

5 feet south, there's a door on the east wall. In front of that door, there is a red and white bullseye painted on the floor.

50 feet south, the passage splits west.

70 feet south, the passage turns west.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 11:04 PM
Do not like bullseye. :smalleek: I will search the facing wall, door, and ceiling before advancing past that square.

Should I not find anything, advance and look where both westward paths lead.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 11:13 PM
You find nothing at the bullseye.

The first passage west goes for 10 feet, then turns north.

Just before the second passage west, you spot a thin tripwire running across the corridor.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 11:20 PM
Can I disable this trap, perhaps by cutting the wire or tripping it with a 10 ft. pole? Is there any indication what this tripwire triggers? Is it easy enough to bypass by just stepping over it now that I see it's there?

Also, I'll look to see what's north in the first passage.

candycorn
2010-06-09, 11:23 PM
Can I disable this trap, perhaps by cutting the wire or tripping it with a 10 ft. pole? Is there any indication what this tripwire triggers? Is it easy enough to bypass by just stepping over it now that I see it's there?

Also, I'll look to see what's north in the first passage.

Yes, you can disable the device, with a disable device roll.
You can trip the trap safely, such as with a 10 foot pole.
You could step over it, but it may be a hazard if you travel this way again and forget to step over it.

There's no indication as to what it triggers, based on what you've searched.

Forgot you searched walls.

A false cover in the wall looks like it would launch or extend something out of the wall when the tripwire is triggered.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 06:41 AM
I will trip it with my 10 ft. pole from 10 ft. north, the direction I approached it from.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 09:18 AM
Darts shoot out from the wall, missing you.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 10:05 AM
I will look to see where the west corridor beyond the tripwire leads.

If it leads about 40 ft. south and turns east, I win at mapmaking.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 10:10 AM
The west corridor leads 30 feet west, and turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 10:18 AM
Boo. I'll check out the passage farther back up that corridor, before the dart trap, and see where that North path leads.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 10:24 AM
The passage goes 10 feet west, and turns north.

It then goes north for 20 feet and dead-ends. 15 feet north, there is a door on the west wall. 20 feet north, there's a door on the north wall.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 10:27 AM
Doors are lame. Back down south past the dart trap, go west and see where the new North path leads.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 10:30 AM
The passage goes north 40 feet. At 35 feet north, there's a door on the east wall. At 40 feet, there's a door on the north wall. At 40 feet, the passage turns east.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 10:33 AM
North and east, please.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 10:36 AM
The passage goes east for 10 feet and dead ends. 5 feet east, there's a red and white bullseye painted on the floor. 10 feet east, there is a door on the south wall.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 11:18 AM
Alright, I'll bite. Now that I'm out of free hallways on this path, I will search the door on the east wall at 35 east, and the door 40 ft. N. If they come off clean, I will cast Silent Image OF a door in the same place as the door at 35 East, open that door, and look through my illusion to see what is inside the room.

(I'm totally cribbing the idea from the OOTS comic where Roy played D&D as a gnome illusionist. Which I am, too. I'm assuming the outside of these doors all look like the door from the room I originally started out in...)

candycorn
2010-06-10, 11:30 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3||1|
4|||
5|||
6|||[/table]
There is a door at A-1 west, B-1, and another at C-1 east
There is a gnome sized figure with a white dragon’s head, ivory scales and short swords standing in the room
Initiative:[roll0]

DM Only:Listen: [roll1] to hear door opening.
DC 10, + 1 for distance.

EDIT: Heard door opening to the northwest.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 11:41 AM
What fun! I will do the same illusory door trick on the door at 40N, since that's still within the boundary of my Silent Image spell. I wonder what I'll see up there! I am maintaining the 35E door part of the illusion still as well.
Move silently up the hallway, since 35E door is open... [roll0]

Is there any indication the dragongnome noticed? Looking up, charging the allegedly-present door, that sort of thing? I see you've rolled initiative, so I guess he thinks something is up. Does him being suspicious mean that combat has started...?

candycorn
2010-06-10, 11:46 AM
Before you can do anything, or I can give any information, you must roll initiative.

By the way, silent image creates an object, creature, or force. Two doors isn't one object.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 12:13 PM
Doors are bolted to their hinges, aren't they? I'd say I've created one dungeon hallway replica, which includes some flooring, walls, and two flappy door bits. Like creating an image of a window with two working shutters. Or I've created an image of a mimic which looks like that.

If you find this unacceptable, and I am able to do so before the dragongnome acts, I can instead close the door, move my door image to 40N, and open it like that.

Init: [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-10, 12:35 PM
Doors Slide into the wall.

An object is not 2 walls, floors, and doors. An object is AN object. No grouping items together and saying it's a collage.

Besides, you already created an object. A door. The spell lets you move it. It doesn't let you change it.

Your action for round 1 is maintaining concentration on the silent image, and closing the door?

Ditto
2010-06-10, 01:29 PM
I was under the impression it was mutable and that this was sort of a retcon to accommodate your clarification. No worries, one slidey door it is.

Forget that second door nonsense, then, I'ma just color spray this fellow. Drop concentration on the door illusion. Will DC18, as I believe he is flatfooted since I won initiative and am hiding behind a door. Duelling natural 20s, what fun! If he is still standing, I will then move one square south, so as to prevent him from charging me.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 01:37 PM
No, Silent image is moveable, not changeable. There are higher level illusion spells for that.

Also, he is flatfooted, but not because you're hiding behind a door. It's because you have a higher initiative. That doesn't really alter the will save, though.

Will:[roll0]

The creature is unconscious for 2d4 rounds, then blinded/stunned for 1d4, then stunned for 1 round.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 02:02 PM
Fantastic. I'ma go coup de grace this sucker, because everything here is presumably trying to kill me.

First unconscious round: Move and draw hammer, then Hammer him in the face. Atk: [roll0] Dmg [roll1]

Second round: Coup de grace full round action. Dmg: [roll2] x3 = 6 dmg, Fort save 16 if he is still alive or else dead.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 02:09 PM
x3 means you roll 3 times.

[roll0]+2 = 8 damage.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 02:10 PM
Fort save: [roll0] Pass

Also, round 1 was when you cast it.
Your actions are round 2 and 3.

Color spray durations: [roll1], [roll2], 1

EDIT: It is not helpless for the Coup de Grace. You'll need to roll the attack. (It's prone and stunned, though, and blind, which gives it a -8 to AC, and flat footed.)

EDIT 2:
You cast the spell, 1 round passes.
You move to it and attack, 1 round passes (it becomes conscious).
You were going to coup de grace, but it's awake. You have 3 rounds where it's blind, prone, and stunned, then 1 round more where it is stunned and prone.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 03:26 PM
He should be unconscious through two whole turns. Otherwise he has not spent two of *his* turns unconscious.
Me1: Std action: Color spray! Unconscious timer starts.
Enemy1: I am unconscious. #1
Me2: Move action & draw, standard action Hammer attack. Unconscious timer goes down 1.
Enemy2: I am unconscious #2
Me3: Full round action CDG. Unconscious timer goes down one (to zero)
Enemy3: I am stunned.

Wait, I still had a move action on the turn I cast Color Spray, correct? Should we just say the sequence proper was :

1: Cast color spray, move & draw (Enemy unconscious 1)
2: CDG. (Enemy unconscious 2)

Anyway, here's some rolls while I bash this dude to a pulp for three rounds, whether or not he's already dead.
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

candycorn
2010-06-10, 03:43 PM
He should be unconscious through two whole turns. Otherwise he has not spent two of *his* turns unconscious.
Me1: Std action: Color spray! Unconscious timer starts.
Enemy1: I am unconscious. #1
Me2: Move action & draw, standard action Hammer attack. Unconscious timer goes down 1.
Enemy2: I am unconscious #2
Me3: Full round action CDG. Unconscious timer goes down one (to zero)
Enemy3: I am stunned.

Wait, I still had a move action on the turn I cast Color Spray, correct? Should we just say the sequence proper was :

1: Cast color spray, move & draw (Enemy unconscious 1)
2: CDG. (Enemy unconscious 2)

Anyway, here's some rolls while I bash this dude to a pulp for three rounds, whether or not he's already dead.
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

No. Spell durations are measured from the time the effect starts, not the time the character affected gets his turn. Color Spray started on your turn. The rounds count from your turn, not his.

I'll give you the move after casting, but you need a base attack of +1 (or quick draw) to draw too.

The timer starts like this:Round 1 (initiative 27): Color spray! Unconscious timer starts. Move next to the creature. This was not a surprise round, so you get a full round of actions. (It heard the door open. Even if it did not see you, it was alerted to the presence of something, so gets an initiative roll.)
Round 1 (initiative 20): Unconscious 1.

Round 2 (Initiative 27): 1 round has passed for color spray. You draw your weapon, and attack! (move and standard) You roll a 14, which hits, for 4 damage.
Round 2 (Initiative 20): Unconscious 2.

Round 3 (Initiative 27): 2 rounds have passed, unconscious ends. You attack! You roll a 2, which misses.
Round 3 (Initiative 20): Blind 1

Round 4 (Initiative 27): 3 rounds have passed. You attack! You roll a 3, which misses.
Round 4 (Initiative 20): Blind 2

Round 5 (Initiative 27): 4 rounds have passed. You attack! You roll a 12, which hits for 4 damage.
Round 5 (Initiative 20): Blind 3

Round 6 (Initiative 27): 5 rounds have passed. Blindness ends. You attack! (Not yet rolled)
Round 6 (Initiative 20): Stunned.

Round 7 (Initiative 27): 6 rounds have passed. Stunned ends. You attack! (Not yet rolled)
Round 7 (Initiative 20): Enemy gets an action.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 03:59 PM
Whups, you're right about the move-and-draw. It still seems bizarre that the unconscious timer would go down at the start of my turn and not the end of my turn, since I did not have 1 full turn's actions to act after having cast the spell so I don't see how 1 full turn of unconsciousness is deducted.

Bugger, my rolls sucked! And I've wasted a perfectly good chance to be using my double weapon. Would you let me take still the second swing in round 5? If so: Atk: [roll0] [Dmg: [roll1]

Round six: [roll2] [Dmg: [roll3], [roll4] [Dmg: [roll5]
Round seven: [roll6] [Dmg: [roll7], [roll8] [Dmg: [roll9]

candycorn
2010-06-10, 04:06 PM
You're aware that double weapons are treated just like two weapon fighting? Without the 2 weapon fighting feat, you take a -4 to hit with the main hand, and a -8 to hit with the off hand.

After that, your rolls are 12 (for 3 damage), and 5 (for 1 damage). The first attack hits, and the second misses.
Then a pair of misses.

EDIT: It's badly battered, but still barely alive.

It stands up, provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 04:12 PM
Wow, I double failed at reading right there. I just looked it up and thought it was some sort of wacky exception. Oh well, whiff and whiff in round 7, shouldn't've done that.

Please tell me this dude is dead...

Ditto
2010-06-10, 04:13 PM
Ooh, never mind. AoO it is.

Atk [roll0] Dmg [roll1]

candycorn
2010-06-10, 04:16 PM
It drops, unconscious and bleeding.
150xp.

Loot: 2 Short Swords (small), 4 darts (small)

Ditto
2010-06-10, 04:21 PM
Good riddance... this is why I don't open doors. I will pick up the gear, and search around the room for anything else of interest. Searching squares in SE of the room in particular for secret doors or latches.

candycorn
2010-06-10, 04:24 PM
Why not? You gained some XP! You only need 850xp more for level 2!

EDIT: And are you taking 10 or 20 when searching the room?

Ditto
2010-06-10, 04:31 PM
Take 20. I've got nowhere to be. :smallsmile:

The room is overtly featureless except for the dragongnome who was standing here waiting to kill me, correct?

I guess you're right, I'll fully exhaust this length of corridor before going back to my mapmaking exploits... I'll head to that 40N door next. Kick it down (or slide it to the side, as it were...) and color spray whatever's lurking in there. One trick pony!

candycorn
2010-06-10, 04:34 PM
Searching reveals nothing.

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||2||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||[/table]
Around a fire are sitting 2 humans. A better look reveals one of them to be an elf and the other has another set of sharp teeth. Elf is #2. They have equipment. You like equipment, don’t you? There is a door at A5 south, E5 south and D1.
[roll1]]

You are at the door at A5 (South).

Ditto
2010-06-10, 04:42 PM
Let's see if I get lucky and pull superinitiative twice, cuz the bad guys certainly are!

[roll0]

Looks like I lose. I'm standing at A6, just outside the room, correct? Or did I move in to A5 by opening the door?

candycorn
2010-06-10, 04:47 PM
A6. The Elf gets up, and moves to A5, drawing a longsword on the way.

The sharp toothed one stands up, and casts a spell, blanketing the room in a thick fog.

Ditto
2010-06-10, 06:44 PM
How convenient! He starts right next to me. I will cast color spray again, which should hit the elf and (I believe) the fanged caster if he hasn't moved from his original location.

If I cannot in fact hit both of them because of the angle I am standing at, I will Withdraw into the room I came from and shut the door behind me.
EDIT: I will simply move into the room, since Withdraw is a full round action. Shouldn't matter, as I assume this fog prevents the elf from seeing me and thus AoOing?

Ditto
2010-06-12, 01:38 PM
Bump. You out there, CC?

candycorn
2010-06-12, 04:49 PM
Sorry, didn't notice your post.

You can hit the warrior (right in front of you) with a color spray. However, the caster's last known square was 20 feet away (2nd diagonal is 10 feet).

However: The fog isn't totally blinding. You can see 5 feet away. Objects 5 feet away have concealment (20% miss chance).

Ditto
2010-06-13, 10:39 AM
A6 to B5 - 5 ft. B5 to C4 - +10 ft. Or alternately A6 to A5 - 5 ft, A5 to B4 - 5 ft., B4 to C4 - 5 ft. That's two ways to hit C4 with 15 ft of movement/coverage. It's a 15 foot cone, and Fang was at C4.

Either way, I'll go ahead with the Color Spray. DC17 for the Elf, DC18 for Fang since I am effectively invisible to him and he does not get Dex to AC (+1 per Cloaked Casting).

If the elf drops, I'll move to A4.

candycorn
2010-06-13, 05:52 PM
DM Only: Elf: [roll0]
Fanged creature: Out of range (at D3 due to 5 foot step after casting)

EDIT: The elf collapses. 2d4 rounds unconscious, 1d4 rounds blind/stun, 1 round stun.

EDIT2: You move to A4.

Note: Cloaked casting is an ability that level 2 beguilers have. You are not level 2.

candycorn
2010-06-13, 06:01 PM
DM Only: Listen: [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-13, 06:05 PM
DM Only 2: Fanged creature: Move to B2, cast color spray.

You hear spellcasting (spellcraft DC 16 to Identify):Color Spray

I need a DC 13 Will save.

Elf is out for: [roll0] Rounds, then blind/stun for [roll1], then stun for 1 round.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 09:08 AM
Spellcraft: [roll0]
You're right, I'm getting my beguiler characters mixed up again. :smallredface:

Will save: [roll1]
Listen check to find Fang: [roll2] I guess the DC is something like 10, +1 for however far away he is from me... I guess I just need to know if I'm able to pinpoint is location enough to hit him with another color spray.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 11:28 AM
If I can't find him, I'ma coup de grace the elf, so might as well roll for that now. Heck, I might just go with that and risk another Fang attack and run away after I kill the elf.

Hammer smash: [roll0]
Fort save DC 24 or else dead.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 12:35 PM
The DC to hear the casting is 0 + 2/10 feet.
The DC to pinpoint the square it 20 above that.
Your listen is enough to get you "the casting came from the east, and close"

Ditto
2010-06-14, 01:25 PM
Meh, forget him then. I'm low enough on spells that I don't need to play pussyfoot with a hiding caster. Just going with the cdg for my turn. Lemme know if Mr. Elf is dead, and what Fang is doing on his turn.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 01:39 PM
No fort needed. That coup took him from full to dead in one sickening crunch.

Spellcraft DC 16:Color Spray

Another Will save, DC 13.

DM Only: If failure on the save (evidenced by the thump of an unconscious body), move adjacent. If pass on the save, move to C5.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 02:03 PM
Spellcraft[roll0]
Will Save [roll1]
Well crap. This is what we call a bad choice. I guess I'll just be unconscious here then.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 02:26 PM
The spell was another color spray.

Unconscious for [roll0] rounds
Stunned/Blinded for [roll1] rounds
Stunned for 1 round.

When you come to, the fog is gone, and the fanged caster is nowhere in sight. You also see your gold pouch laying empty on the floor beside you.

3gp and 8sp was just taken from you in your sleep.

75xp for elf kill.
Loot: Longsword, Studded Leather.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 02:36 PM
I approve of cowardly casters!

I'll stash the loot and head out the North door, which should lead to a corridor I've been to before. I think I've explored everything there is to see down this branch, so I'm going to go all the way back past the squiggle to a 4-way intersection with a pit trap on the east side. It should be about 50 ft straight east from the room I'm in, if my map is any good.

From that intersection, there should be a path the leads north and turns east. I'd like to head up that way and explore, taking my usual slow Searching approach from that point. Let me know if you're able to figure out where I'm trying to head from that description.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 02:48 PM
From the intersection you speak of, you note another pit trap 5 feet to the north. After clearing it safely, the corridor turns east.

20 feet east of you, the corridor splits north.
30 feet east of you, the corridor turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 03:14 PM
Nasty intersection! I will move ahead and look up each northward corridor.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 03:16 PM
The first passage runs north for 30 feet. At 10 feet, there's a door on the west wall. At 30 feet, the passage splits east and west.

The second passage runs north for 30 feet. At 30 feet, the passage turns west.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 03:24 PM
I'll go up the eastern-most path, which I guess reconnects with the western north path at the top anyway. What else is there when I look west?

candycorn
2010-06-14, 03:58 PM
It does. You see the passage go west.

10 feet west of you, there's a passage to the south.

20 feet west of you, the passage turns north.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 04:05 PM
End of the passage and look North, please. Feel free to continue moving me forward to look down each corridor I find, and choosing the one which appears to advance me most to the north & east, because I have decided that is where the exit is. :smallsmile:

candycorn
2010-06-14, 04:07 PM
Any time there's a decision, I'm going to give you the choice. :)

The passage runs north for 10 feet, then east for 40 feet.

At the end of that, the passage turns south for 10 feet. At 10 feet, there's a door on the south wall. At 10 feet, the passage turns east.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 04:36 PM
East, please.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 04:41 PM
You head to the turn with the door on the south wall.

The passage extends for 10 feet, and ends. At 10 feet, there's a door at the passage end. In front of the door, there is a red and white painted Bullseye on the floor.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 04:44 PM
Search the bullseye and door for trouble, as usual.

If there's nothing interesting, I'll open this East facing door since we've found another hallway end.
Edit: Casting Shield of Faith before opening door. Might as well get some use out of the slot.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 04:46 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5|||||
6||||| [/table]
There is a door at A-3 (you are at this door), and another at A-5, E5 and D6. There is a metallic humanoid standing in the room looking at you.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 04:51 PM
A metallic humanoid? If that indicates construct, then I am completely hosed. Completely unable to hurt it with my beguiler skills OR cleric skills... well, whatever. Color Spray! Will DC 17

Init[roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-14, 04:59 PM
DM Only:Will:[roll0]

EDIT: it collapses.

Ditto
2010-06-14, 05:16 PM
Sweet! CdG time again. Let's get my counters up and make sure I do it right this time around...

Unc, Blind, Stun: [roll0]
Blind, Stun: [roll1]
Stun: 1

Round 0: Cast color spray, move up to Shiny Man.
Round 1: Full round Hammer smash: [roll2]
Fort DC 22 or dead.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 05:43 PM
That kills him.

150xp

Ditto
2010-06-14, 09:29 PM
Wonderful. Any bits to be looted? I will search the room thoroughly, for I have nothing better to do.

Let's look behind door E5.

candycorn
2010-06-14, 09:38 PM
The search reveals nothing.

The door at E5 leads around to a one-way teleporter.

There is a sign, stating that this is the exit to level 1 of the dungeon. Once you take it, you will be transported to a room where you may rest and recover for as long as you like (provided you have the food and water to survive). In addition, the room will have a Magic-Mart, where you can buy or sell any object you should desire. Purchases will be made at standard value, Sold goods will be sold at half value.

In addition, the Magic-Mart Will Identify any item you desire, at a cost of 100gp per item. The Magic-Mart can also perform a detect service for 1 gp (will provide a yes/no answer only).

(Any item from a legal book source can be bought or sold at the above rates. Once you leave level 1 of the dungeon, there is no going back.)

Ditto
2010-06-15, 08:25 AM
Lookit that! North and east was successful. I assume each of the other doors in this room is a teleporter as well?

If this is the case, I guess I'd better go back and try exploring a little more. I've still got one color spray in me!

By the way - aren't you supposed to get XP for surviving/bypassing encounters with traps? I hit 3 pits, darts, and an explodey note that should be worth something...

candycorn
2010-06-15, 08:29 AM
Lookit that! North and east was successful. I assume each of the other doors in this room is a teleporter as well?

If this is the case, I guess I'd better go back and try exploring a little more. I've still got one color spray in me!

By the way - aren't you supposed to get XP for surviving/bypassing encounters with traps? I hit 3 pits, darts, and an explodey note that should be worth something...

Each of the other doors leads to the same teleporter, actually.

And I didn't get XP for traps, so I'm not giving XP for traps. If you feel like you should get it, pose the question in the OOC thread, and one of the more experienced DM's will answer. If you should have gotten it, it's easy enough to add.

Let me know what you intend to explore, and I'll let you know what you find.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 08:40 AM
Oh, a teleporter *room*. Thought there was a transporter pad right on the other side of the door. K.

Fair enough, I'll ask and see what happens.

Going back out of this room, I'll go west, north, weeeest, south, east, south. There should be a door on the west wall. I'd like to look in that room.

candycorn
2010-06-15, 08:43 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||| [/table]
There are doors at A3 west and E3 east. (You are at the E3 door.)
A string of 4 notes hangs in the center of the room.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 08:49 AM
Cast detect magic. Scan the room. Concentrate for 3 rounds to get a clear reading on anything that pings.

I will then 20-Search the room from top to bottom, floors, walls, ceiling, and then notes. (Stop me if I find anything significant along that order of action. :smallsmile:)

candycorn
2010-06-15, 08:55 AM
You get no pings on detect.

DM Only:[roll0]

Nothing on the floors, walls, or ceilings.

You detect a trap on the 4th note.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 08:59 AM
Can I read the notes? ...without touching them? (Are they open notes, or do they need to be unfolded?) What is the nature of the trap I discovered on the last note?

candycorn
2010-06-15, 09:03 AM
Can I read the notes? ...without touching them? (Are they open notes, or do they need to be unfolded?) What is the nature of the trap I discovered on the last note?

You can read the notes without touching them.

The nature of the trap is "magical".

Ditto
2010-06-15, 09:39 AM
Let's read the first, non-magical notes.
Not at all confident enough in my search/DD check to tackle a magic trap. I'll probably try triggering it from outside the room.

candycorn
2010-06-15, 09:43 AM
In order, they read:

Top Note: “Fools rush in where angels dare not tread”
2nd Note: “The follies of youth are best left behind”
3rd Note: “See reverse side for care instructions” and on the reverse side “There is a reward in this room. The next note says where.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 10:26 AM
Yeah, ha.

Let's see how we can jigger that last note & string... I'll try tying my rope to note #3, standing outside the doorway, and swinging note 3 to bat into note 4.

candycorn
2010-06-15, 10:51 AM
Nothing noticable happens.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 10:54 AM
Alright, tie the rope onto the rope for note 4, head out of the room, and attempt to pull the note-rope down that way.

candycorn
2010-06-15, 10:57 AM
The string of notes comes down easily.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 11:30 AM
Hunh. I'll pull the string of notes over to me and pocket the lot. What a silly room. I do not like rooms.

I will cross the room and exit the west door, which should bring me to a hallway I've been in before, and a west-facing door right in front of me. Assuming I didn't die or anything after grabbing the notes and then entering the room again, I would like to open the new west-facing door.

candycorn
2010-06-15, 06:11 PM
The hallway runs north and south.
To the north, it runs for 20 feet before turning east.
To the south, it runs for 20 feet before turning east.
Directly across from the door you just left, there's another door.

Ditto
2010-06-15, 09:51 PM
Yup, that's the one! I'll open that door. Even save you the trouble of waiting for initiative if there's something angry on the other side.
Init [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-15, 09:57 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3||L|
4|||
5|||C [/table]
There is a door at A-2, and another at C1 east. There is a large lever with a bright red handle in the center of the room. There is a cake in the southeast corner of the room, on a tray bolted to the floor, with frosting reading something. . A note attached to the wall above the cake reads something else.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 08:58 AM
I shall Search the room. Particular attention to the lever, another note (which had better not be trapped again, I'd like to read again before I die!) and the cake, which hopefully is note made of delicious exploding runes.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 09:01 AM
The cake, a chocolate cake with buttercream icing and pink lettering, reads “This Is Your Reward For Pulling The Lever; Eat Me Once You Do” in common.

The note attached to the wall above the cake reads “The Cake Is A Lie. The Room Is A Trap.” in common.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 09:20 AM
Now who would leave such a note? In the absence of any traps detected, I will take the note and the cake and exit the room. I will use my trusty rope again to tie around the lever and pull it from outside the doorway.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 09:35 AM
The cake tray is bolted to the ground. How are you taking it?

Ditto
2010-06-16, 09:46 AM
Oh, I see. I figured the cake was on a plate, since one does not commonly leave cakes lying flush on tables. I will eat the cake right now, and then proceed with my rope-lever-pulling plan, assuming I have not just eaten a pile of cleverly disguised fire ants.

I mean, sure it seems like a terrible idea. But there's cake!

candycorn
2010-06-16, 09:54 AM
The cake is positively to DIE for...

No, really. Make a fortitude save.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 10:14 AM
I don't know what good I thought might've come of that.

Fort: [roll0]

And as discussed, it's not like I even get XP for my bad choices. Maybe it's a mimc? A delicious mimic with pink icing? :smalltongue:

candycorn
2010-06-16, 10:16 AM
Mmmm, tasty cake.

It seems like the lever pulls to the south. If you're in a door, you could only pull north-ish.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 11:33 AM
I will feed the rope through a rung of the cake stand (southward), and back northward to the door so that it ends up pulling in the opposite direction.

Was the cake delicious, at least? I hope it was delicious. Stupid poison cake.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 11:36 AM
The cake was on a tray, not a stand. The tray was bolted to the floor.

And sure, although the buttercream was just a little off.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 11:40 AM
There's no handle, grip, or edge to this tray? Just a flat tile raised from the floor and flush against the wall?

candycorn
2010-06-16, 11:50 AM
Hm, handle. Sure, why not? All good trays need good places to put hands.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 12:12 PM
I will feed the rope through the nasty cake's handle and attempt the reverse angle pulling program thusly!

I don't know why I'm so excited about figuring out the room, you'd think I'd learn when the victory cake is made of poison.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 12:18 PM
The rope goes taut at you pull it, and the lever ratchets into its new position.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 01:59 PM
No noticeable effect, hunh? Rope doesn't burst into flames or get smooshed by a drop ceiling? Interesting. Well, not interesting actually. I'll release the slack on the rope to see if the lever resets itself.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 05:09 PM
The rope hangs as slack is released... Upwards.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 05:16 PM
Upwards? My rope is hanging wrong-ways-down? Very curious. I wonder how long this anti-gravity effect lasts, since I'd rather like to retreive my rope... how high is the ceiling in this room, anyway? at least 10 ft, I assume, so I would be unable to reach the lever if I were for some reason standing on the ceiling, yes?

candycorn
2010-06-16, 05:20 PM
Twenty feet, sir.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 05:41 PM
Hunh. That wouldn't be fun. I'll wait another 5 minutes to see if it resets itself, but if not I guess I'll have to come back and figure it out later. I'll tie my end of hte rope to a dart and jam it into the doorjamb to keep it accessible to me.

If nothing happens, I will go north and follow the squiggle around until I find a south facing door. (Should be the first one I find in that direction.) If I'm not mistaken, it will be the North door of the room where I fought the elf and Fang. I'd like to go in there and see if I can't track down the last half of the room's XP.

If the gravity returns to normal, I'll go in and retreive the rope, then go hunting for Fang.

candycorn
2010-06-16, 05:45 PM
After about a minute and a half, the gravity ends.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 05:46 PM
Swell, I'll reclaim the rope and go Fang hunting.

Init, if he's in the room. [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-16, 06:29 PM
He's not in the room.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 08:36 AM
Bah. Alright, new room... I'll go back to the 4-way 2-pit intersection and take the east -> South path, and try the door halfway down that corridor on the west wall.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 08:53 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, another at A-1 North, and another at E-3, which you are just outside of. You see a nearly 7' tall, horned hobgoblin-esque creature, wearing studded leather, and wielding a scimitar.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 09:31 AM
Looks like he won init. I assume he'll come over and attack me. On my turn, I will take a 5 ft step back to avoid an AoO, then cast Color Spray (Will DC17)at the giant hobgoblin.
Init [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-17, 09:44 AM
The Creature darts up to E3 and stabs at you with his scimitar!

Attack [roll0] for [roll1]
(if 18-20) [roll2] for [roll3] more

Then it moves away, to A6.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 10:16 AM
That crit does not land, which is good, cuz I would then be dead. Currently at 1 hp. That sucker has a lot of move!

New plan! Gonna back 20' down the corridor, and cast CLW (lose Obscuring mist). [roll0] hp restored. Crap.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 10:21 AM
You see the creature come out of the door, see you, and move up to you, and attack!

(18-20) [roll2] for [roll3]

It then falls back 15 feet, to right in front of the door. (total distance from you: 20 after falling back)

Ditto
2010-06-17, 11:07 AM
K, I'm at -4.
1 means I'm not bleeding out: [roll0]
Nope! I spend my turn losing 1 hp. -5.
Wait, what am I talking about, he didn't hit me. I should check my own AC before offing myself!

That thing has 60 ft. move?

Even with 40 ft move I can't outrun him. Step 5 ft forward and Color spray, Will DC17.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 11:10 AM
It rolled a 15. Your sheet shows AC 17. Is that correct?

And yes, it has a 60 feet move.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 11:10 AM
Just realized that as soon as I posted it. Corrected.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 11:12 AM
Will: [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-17, 11:14 AM
It darts forward and attacks!

[roll0] for [roll1]

It then falls back 15 feet (to 20 feet away)....

and back forward to next to you when it sees you fall.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 11:15 AM
Coup de Grace: [roll0]

Ditto
2010-06-17, 11:31 AM
1 [roll0]
2 [roll1]
3 [roll2]
Boooo. I am dead and squishy.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 11:33 AM
Indeed. You can start the floor over with the same character, or you can submit a new one.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 11:46 AM
I suppose I'll start over. I assume I will be okay with the same MO for searching and exploring, mapping all the corridors I've already been to? The only difference will be I'm not reading the stupid exploding runes note this time. :smalltongue:

I guess I'll begin by stepping over my corpse from last time and trying to beat the hobgoblin room again. I will cast shield of faith for +2 AC before opening the door. Revenge!
Init [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-17, 01:07 PM
The room you just died on? Sure thing. Any room you've been to, let me know, and you can go there.

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, another at A-1 North, and another at E-3. You see a nearly 7' tall, horned hobgoblin-esque creature, wearing studded leather, and wielding a scimitar.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 01:39 PM
Ha, fiend! Color spray for you again!
Will DC17. Don't make it this time.

If he makes the save, I'ma close the door. :smallsmile:

candycorn
2010-06-17, 01:42 PM

EDIT: Save Failed.

Blind and Stun for 1d4 rounds, then Stun for 1 round.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 01:58 PM
Don't forget the unconscious, blind, and stun!
UBS [roll0]
BS [roll1]
S - 1

I will end my turn by moving adjacent to him.

New turn: -1 round UBS, and Coup de grace time!
Hammer smash: [roll2]
DC 20 Fort save vs dead.

candycorn
2010-06-17, 02:24 PM
I didn't forget anything. I applied the spell based on the creature's hit dice.

2 rounds of blind and stunned.
1 round of stunned.

Ditto
2010-06-17, 03:10 PM
Oh, alright. Regular smashing in the face it is.

[roll0], [roll1] dmg
[roll2], [roll3] dmg
Double attack for kicks [roll4], [roll5] dmg, [roll6], [roll7] dmg
[roll8], [roll9] dmg Rolled too many, though it was 3 blind/stun. Crappy roll, too!

And an AoO, if he tries to stand up. [roll10], [roll11] dmg

candycorn
2010-06-18, 10:05 AM
He's not prone. The only reason previous people were prone is because unconscious people Can't stand. Stunning and Blinding don't do that.

The first two attacks hit, for 2 damage.

The double attack? Both miss.

DM Only:Base AC for the Creature: 18. (+2 dex, +3 Armor, +3 Natural)
Flat footed (Stun): 16 (+3 Armor, +3 Natural)
AC Penalties: -2 Stun, -2 Blind

Final AC for round 1 and 2: 12 (Blind and Stunned)
Final AC for round 3: 14 (Stunned only)

The hobgoblin-esque creature readies an action.

DM Only: ReallyNo, reallyAttack if Ditto tries to cast a spell (coupled with a 5 foot step, as no movement has been done)

Ditto
2010-06-18, 10:38 AM
Ugh, HD'd creatures are no fun for me! 5 ft step back, then let's try casting Sleep, DC14.

candycorn
2010-06-18, 10:47 AM
As you begin to cast, you trigger its ready action.

It takes a 5 foot step in before the ready action, and enjoys the Attack of Opportunity you provoke.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]
(18-20): [roll2] for [roll3]

Then, it makes the actual attack (the Ready action):

Attack: [roll4] for [roll5]
(18-20): [roll6] for [roll7]

If any of these hit, you need a concentration check (DC 10+Damage Dealt) to keep the spell.

Ditto
2010-06-18, 11:00 AM
It should be the ready-action (5 ft step & attack) first, since it happens before my spellcasting trigger goes through, yes?

Conc check: [roll0] vs DC13

Then, since he happens to be standing next to me, he gets an AoO now that it's my turn and I cast. The second attack does not hit.

Is that really how it works? I guess you *would* still be eligible for AoOs after readying an action since it's an unrelated action to the readying... good trick, that.

candycorn
2010-06-18, 11:15 AM
Correct. And thanks on the compliment! :) I joined the arena that Neverending Dungeon takes its rules from, and I've been reading through old matches. There's a lot of tricks in there.

Your sleep spell fizzles (failed concentration).

Due to the readied action, the Varag's turn becomes immediately before yours.

It moves 5 feet to the side, and attacks.

It then darts out the door and out of sight to the north.

Ditto
2010-06-18, 11:25 AM
I will pursue. If it is within 15 ft, I will color spray (DC17). Otherwise, Sleep (DC14).

And not just to compliment your tricky-tricks, you're a swell DM as well. Very sharp indeed, super attention to detail, responsive, and perfectly reasonable when I haggle over rules with you. :smallsmile:

candycorn
2010-06-18, 11:31 AM
You walk out the door. The corridor extends 25 feet north, and turns west.

The creature isn't even visible.

You used 10 feet of movement to get out of the room.

Ditto
2010-06-18, 11:40 AM
Bah. I guess I'll just see if he comes back. I close the door and move 10 back to the center of the room so I can cover the doors in case he attempts to come through a different one.

If he doesn't come back in a round or two, I'm not sure how long initiative 'lasts' and I can maintain a readied action to cast CS/Sleep as indicated above... but I'll start with a little bit of waiting and see if he comes back for me.

candycorn
2010-06-18, 11:46 AM
You can't ready an action to cast Sleep. It's not a legal ready action. It takes a full round to cast a Sleep spell.

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, another at A-1 North, and another at E-3.

Where in the room are you?

And initiative lasts until I end it. That's a DM decision. ^.^

Ditto
2010-06-18, 12:45 PM
Oh, right you are. Color Spray is my only useful option right now. I'll be at C3, which places me within one 5 ft step + 15 ft. color spray range of any door. I'd only need to use the step for the A6 door.

candycorn
2010-06-18, 12:58 PM
"Maintain a ready action to cast color spray" is missing a very important step.

What is the trigger?

Ditto
2010-06-18, 01:06 PM
Right, I should make that explicit, shouldn't I? :smallsmile:

I will maintain ready action to Color Spray on my turn as soon as I spot any valid target in range. Hopefully the varag opening the door. We'll hang out for up to half an hour before getting bored with this endeavor and heading out.

candycorn
2010-06-18, 01:17 PM
The door in A-1 Opens. You see nobody there.

DM Only:It's opened the door from 5 feet northeast of A1. It then moves around to east of E3.

I love high movement.

Ditto
2010-06-18, 01:53 PM
I'ma continue holding. I'm not interested in shooting invisible creatures or chickenly goblins who open doors sideways, he can get good'n'blasted when I see him. I hope he falls in that pit north of the room and starves while I'm waiting for him. :smalltongue:

candycorn
2010-06-18, 03:40 PM
Next Round: Door in E3 opens, and the hobgoblin like guy is visible in the doorway.

Ditto
2010-06-19, 12:50 PM
I should like very much to color spray him. Consider my action triggered. Will DC17, please!

candycorn
2010-06-19, 06:56 PM
Will [roll0]

Blind and Stunned for 1d4 rounds (no Dex to AC, -4 to AC)
Stunned for 1 round (no Dex to AC, -2 to AC)

Ditto
2010-06-21, 08:44 AM
Complete this round by moving adjacent.

[roll0] Blinded & stunned rounds:
[roll1], [roll2] Dmg, Pick up the varag's dropped scimitar.
[roll3], [roll4] Dmg, Stow scimitar in my backpack.
[roll5], [roll6] Dmg (<--He's not stunned this round)

Stunned round:
Cast Sleep, Will DC14

And finally, if he passes the save I will close the door and ready an action to cast Color Spray again if he opens that door.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 09:21 AM
Whoa. You have a rather generous idea of what you can do on that first round.

When you ready an action, you do not get a full round. You get the standard action you announced. That's it. You don't even get free actions, such as drawing arrows.

There's no difference this time, but it can be important.

Round 1, you can move and attack.
Round 2, you can attack and get the scimitar.
Round 3, you attack. NOT sleep. You have no way of knowing when the blind ends, and I'm not going to let you take back actions with a line through them.

All three attacks hit.

The enemy then gets an action.

It readies an action.

DM Only: Close the door if the opponent casts.

term1nally s1ck
2010-06-21, 09:44 AM
Remind me to send you a link to my first and only arena victory, candy. Through various readied actions, and his own friustration, I ended up with his weapon and threw it into a pool of water. :smallcool:

Ditto
2010-06-21, 10:26 AM
You're right, I forgot my ready action was only a partial round. All I did was walk over too him, I'd say that's only slightly generous. :smalltongue:

I was unaware that I didn't get to know the duration of my own spell. I always thought that it would indicate if that was an unknown, as with dust of disappearance.

The greater invisibility bestowed by the dust lasts for 2d6 rounds.The invisible creature doesn’t know when the duration will end.
I rolled attacks for the max possible blind rounds I would get, to save on multiple postings. In any event, is it not obvious to my character when someone goes from blinded to not blinded (reacting to attacks better, not sightlessly blinking and staring into space...)?

candycorn
2010-06-21, 10:33 AM
I was unaware that I didn't get to know the duration of my own spell. I always thought that it would indicate if that was an unknown, as with dust of disappearance.
It does (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration).
Timed Durations

Many durations are measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or some other increment. When the time is up, the magic goes away and the spell ends. If a spell’s duration is variable the duration is rolled secretly (the caster doesn’t know how long the spell will last).

I rolled attacks for the max possible blind rounds I would get, to save on multiple postings. In any event, is it not obvious to my character when someone goes from blinded to not blinded (reacting to attacks better, not sightlessly blinking and staring into space...)?
And no, it's not obvious when the character is Stunned, and not reacting to attacks.

You choose your actions as you like, but you won't know that the spell's over until it's over.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 10:59 AM
Got it. My mistake. 3 attacks it is, then. Is this dude looking bloodied at all? I know my damage is pitiful, but I'm just hoping it's making a dent.

It's strange that a stunned creature is inexplicably better at defending itself than a stunned and blinded one, if they're both equally befutzed. But I guess that's math.

Alright, let's try something different this time. 5 ft step back from the door, draw out tanglefoot bag, and throw that to nail down the hobgoblin.

Ranged touch attack [1d20+1[/roll]
If it hits, make a DC15 Ref save. Failure means he is unable to move, -2 Atk, & -4 Dex for 2d4 rounds. On success, he can only move half-speed for 2d4 rounds.
If it misses, I've made a gooey mess in his square.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 11:07 AM
Messed up my roll, sometimes I type bad.

Ranged touch: [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-21, 11:22 AM
Reflex: [roll0]

DM Only:Duration: [roll1]

candycorn
2010-06-21, 11:26 AM
It moves next to you, and makes a touch attack.

Take an AoO.

Afterwards (if you miss): [roll0]
If success: [roll1] opposed grapple check
If that succeeds:[roll2] nonlethal damage

Ditto
2010-06-21, 11:31 AM
Poo. I tried, at least!

AoO [roll0], [roll1]

His first roll fails to hit my touch AC, so I gather the grappling doesn't happen.
For my turn, I'll 5 ft step back and cast Sleep, Will DC14.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 11:32 AM
That's a miss. Afterwards, he misses a touch attack.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 11:33 AM
Edited my action into above post.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 11:40 AM
You begin to cast sleep (which is a full round cast).

While you are casting, his turn:

He moves outside the room and closes the door.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 11:49 AM
You'd think I would learn. My turn:
Poof! The sleep spells goes off and puts to sleep the Nobody not-standing next to me. I move over to the door and cast Cure Minor Wounds to recover 1 HP. Yay!

candycorn
2010-06-21, 12:02 PM
It opens the door, 5 foot steps in, and makes a touch attack.

Take an AoO.

After:If you missed: [roll0]
Opposed grapple: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Ditto
2010-06-21, 12:10 PM
AoO [roll0], [roll1]

That misses either way. I will 5 ft step back and cast Color Spray, which can actually HIT him on this turn! Will DC17.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 12:17 PM
Minor problem with that action.

You have 4 beguiler spells per day.

You used all of them.

Posts that they were used in:
Post 172
Post 178
Post 192
Post 203

Ditto
2010-06-21, 01:28 PM
Bugger, that's a major problem. Forgot about the Sleep that he interrupted. And I wasted another casting it again when he closed the door. Gah

Alright, revised action: Inflict Light Wounds. Touch attack [roll0], Will save DC14 or take [roll1] dmg

I assume he'll AoO me, so I'll make a Concentration roll too. [roll2] Bah, c'mon... I get top rolls on the attack and damage, and now I'll lose it unless he deals me -3 points of damage. Laaame.

Either way, I will then close the door.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 01:33 PM
He can't AoO, no weapon. ^.^

Touch attack hits, and it's a Will for half.

[roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-21, 01:35 PM
It opens the door, clinging to life by a thread, and makes a touch attack to grapple. AoO.

After:Touch attack: [roll0] **Yay! A HIT!**
Opposed grapple: [roll1]
If win: [roll2]

Ditto
2010-06-21, 01:51 PM
Boo threads! AoO: [roll0], [roll1]

Ditto
2010-06-21, 03:09 PM
That's not gonna hit. I guess it's grapple time. I'll need a natural 20 to beat him.
Grapple: [roll0]

Ugh, grappling is no fun. Couldn't we explore the Mounted Combat rules, or some other strange set of circumstances? :smalltongue: So as I understand it, it is now my turn and I need to beat a new opposed grapple check from him in order to do anything else?

Ditto
2010-06-21, 03:15 PM
So, unless he chooses to release me, I'll make an opposed grapple check to do some damage to him.

[roll0] vs. his check. [roll1] non-lethal damage. Woo, there's that natural 20! If non-lethal damage equals his current HP, he's staggered, which is all I can really hope for at this point.

His grapple attack dealt non-lethal damage to me, correct? Or does he have some natural weapons that are lethal?

candycorn
2010-06-21, 03:43 PM
Opposed checks are not attack rolls. The higher roll always wins, even if a natural 20 is rolled. In the case of a tie, the higher modifier wins.

EDIT: He takes 1 Nonlethal. And yes, he dealt nonlethal to you.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 03:44 PM
Opposed grapple to damage: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

There's no way you can tie that. You take the damage.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 03:48 PM
Gah, I'm at 0. Last chance for me to knock him out... gotta hit and hope a d2 will knock HIM out.

[roll0], [roll1]

candycorn
2010-06-21, 03:49 PM

If won, Grapple to knock out: [roll1] for [roll2]

EDIT: Provided you're at 0, you just knocked him out.

Reviewing, I'm only showing that you healed 1 of the 3 damage you took at the beginning of the fight, is that correct?

Ditto
2010-06-21, 04:01 PM
Oh dear, you're right. I don't know why I thought it was 1 damage he's got a +2 modifier so that makes little sense. I should have burned a proper CLW... I was unconscious from subdual before punching him out. :smallfrown: Perhaps he'd like to wait an hour while I wake up, instead of coup de grace'ing me? After he steals his sword back, that is.

candycorn
2010-06-21, 04:53 PM
Oh, dear me, no. You seem to be quite intent on finishing the guy off... He's content to return the favor.

Coup: [roll0]
Coup2: [roll1]
Coup3: [roll2]

Ditto
2010-06-22, 08:16 AM
Squish. But this time I'm inside the room! I've moved 15 feet closer to... dying in vain...

Alright, attempt number 3! I shouldn't be having as much trouble with this dude as I am. Please note that today I'll be changing my Obscuring Mist to be another Inflict Light Wounds. I'll keep the Shield of Faith +2, and cast that before opening the door to this guy's room again. Same plan as before, leading off with a Color Spray if I win initiative.

Init: [roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-22, 01:55 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, another at A-1 North, and another at E-3. You see a nearly 7' tall, horned hobgoblin-esque creature, wearing studded leather, and wielding a scimitar.

Ditto
2010-06-22, 02:56 PM
Color Spray for the nice man, please.

candycorn
2010-06-22, 03:41 PM

Ditto
2010-06-22, 03:57 PM
Swell. Complete the turn by moving adjacent.

(1) Next turn, I will now hammer him with one hand, and pick up the scimitar with the other. [roll0], [roll1]

(2) Next turn, I will begin casting Sleep (Will DC14). Which I've finally gotten through my head is a full round spell.

(3) Next turn, the Sleep spell will go off, hopefully without indcident (provided you rolled a 2, 3, or 4 on the 1d4 stunned and blinded roll). I will put the scimitar in my backpack.

IF he fails the Sleep save and collapses unconscious, I will pull out my rope and begin tying him up.

IF he makes the Sleep save, I will complete the turn by hammering him again. [roll2], [roll3]

candycorn
2010-06-22, 04:01 PM
DM Only:[roll0], then 1

candycorn
2010-06-22, 04:08 PM
Before Sleep finishes, the creature attacks you:

Touch Attack.

This provokes an AoO. If you take it, you will automatically lose your spell (you must continue uninterrupted focus on your spell until it goes into effect):

If you choose not to attack, or you miss:Touch:[roll0]
Opposed Grapple: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2] nonlethal

If the above misses, or is not successful:Move out of the room and north (Provoking an AoO)

DM Only:Ending around the corner

Ditto
2010-06-22, 04:28 PM
Bah, rolled a 1, eh? RNG frowns upon me today. I thought I was all kinds of clever.

Alright, I'll want to keep the spell so I can't AoO him... that grapple hits me, but if I beat the grapple check I have successfully batted his hand away and continue casting. Opposed grapple: [roll0]

But even so it shall not matter, because he has escaped me again. Curses!

Ditto
2010-06-22, 04:31 PM
Since I see he is escaping after his failed grapple attempt, I may as well take the AoO now and lose the sleep spell since I won't be able to hit him with it.

[roll0], Dmg [roll1] Whiff!

I will now wait for him to return. (Sort-of-again.) Maintain Ready action to cast Color Spray as soon as I see him, standing in position to cover all 3 doors again. Not going to bother closing the East door.

candycorn
2010-06-22, 05:37 PM
How long are you going to wait?

Ditto
2010-06-23, 08:06 AM
Oh, same as before I suppose... give it 10 minutes on the outside, but I expect he'll be back before then.

candycorn
2010-06-23, 08:28 AM
After about 5 minutes, he reappears at the east door.

Ditto
2010-06-23, 08:32 AM
Color Spray Will DC17 for him.

candycorn
2010-06-23, 08:33 AM
Will Save:[roll0]

candycorn
2010-06-23, 08:34 AM
DM Only:[roll0]

Ditto
2010-06-23, 09:43 AM
I guess I can't risk you rolling a 1 again, so I will begin casting Sleep immediately. Hopefully it'll work and I'll drag him into the room and start tying him up. Otherwise, I will take as many turns as I can get hammering him.

1 Cast sleep
2 Sleep finishes (Will DC14) Move to the varag and then Hammer, if the sleep doesn't work. [roll0], [roll1] Dmg
3 [roll2], [roll3] Dmg
4 [roll4], [roll5] Dmg

Ditto
2010-06-23, 09:45 AM
Crit confirm on attack 1, if necessary (if the Sleep fails). [roll0], [roll1] additional Dmg
Wow, sad news all around. I really hope the sleep works so these embarassing rolls never happened. :smallcool:

candycorn
2010-06-23, 10:26 AM
Will: [roll0] vs DC 14

EDIT: Creature falls asleep, for 10 rounds.

Ditto
2010-06-23, 10:40 AM
Brilliant! I will go with the tying-up plan. I'll roll the Use Rope now, since I assume he'll want to try and escape as soon as he wakes up. +10 for binding, +2 silk rope, +3 Dex (untrained) [roll0]

Do you agree that it is reasonable to tie up this fellow within the minute alloted? I'm going to coup de grace him after he's bound, and I dunno how many attempts I'll get before he wakes up and tries to burst the rope or escape artist it. Here's one, anyway
Cdg [roll1]

candycorn
2010-06-23, 10:43 AM
150xp.

MW Scimitar, MW Studded Leather

(Side note: you don't roll Use Rope until the escape attempt is made.)

Ditto
2010-06-23, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I know, but considering how HORRIBLE every damage roll I've ever landed against this guy has been, I assumed I would immediately need to use it when he woke up. :smalltongue:

Brilliant! Well, I'm out of my favorite spells. I guess I'm going to have to attempt the fallacy of sleeping in the dungeon after just one encounter. I will return to the starting room, shut the door, and wedge my 10 ft pole in the door handle. I'll sleep right against it so if anyone tries to open the door while I sleep I'll be jostled.

candycorn
2010-06-23, 12:33 PM
DM Only: 1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]
4: [roll3]
5: [roll4]

candycorn
2010-06-23, 12:39 PM
You awaken, bleary eyed (after 3 hours or so), to the door sliding open into the wall. Your pole seems to have no effect on slowing the door opening down, but it did bonk you on the face and wake you.

Initiative: [roll0]

In the doorway, there stands a wolf, with patches of fur hanging out and an eye missing. You can almost feel the chill of the grave radiating off of it.

Ditto
2010-06-23, 01:16 PM
Well, at least it woke me. [roll0] Eyeball out, chill of the grave... can I tell if this creature is undead?

candycorn
2010-06-23, 01:22 PM
It is, though any further knowledge would require ranks in Knowledge: Religion.

Ditto
2010-06-23, 01:41 PM
That's all I needed to know. I'ma try and turn it. Not my forte, but we'll see...

Turning check [roll0]
Turning damage [roll1]
If my math is right, if the wolf has 4 HD or less, it should be fleeing.

candycorn
2010-06-23, 01:48 PM
Not successful. Move action?

Ditto
2010-06-23, 01:52 PM
Ew. I'm not going to do any better than a roll of 20, stupid useless turning.

I guess I'll use my move action to close the door. For reference, I'm in the square adjacent to the actual door's square. (Otherwise the pole wouldn't've been long enough to poke me.)