PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Party Flexibility?

subject42
2010-06-08, 01:55 PM
If you were going to put together a four character party with an emphasis on extreme flexibility, how would you set it up?

So far, I lean toward a Cloistered Cleric, Binder, Factotum, and Wizard. Does anyone have any ideas that could beat that?

(Other than the standard " Four Wizard 20 /thread", comments)

AmberVael
2010-06-08, 02:00 PM
Factotum would definitely be in there, yeah. Maybe Factotum/Chameleon, but I've always liked straight Factotum, myself.

Wizard is pretty much a given, though I'd likely say Wizard/Mage of the Arcane Order.

Cloistered Cleric... maybe substitute Archivist for Cleric. Cleric has more versatility out of the box just due to knowing all their spells, I think, but Archivist has greater potential (like a Wizard). Heavily depends on scroll availability.

Binder is cool, though I think an Incarnum user could do well in the party too. With the right choices, they could do all kinds of things.

Also, I assume Spell to Power Erudite is right out.

J.Gellert
2010-06-08, 02:03 PM
Binder, Warblade, Wizard, Archivist... You can have a Factotum or other rogue type, but don't you need someone who can "spontaneously" melee if you really want to be flexible?

Gnaeus
2010-06-08, 02:06 PM
Binder, Warblade, Wizard, Archivist... You can have a Factotum or other rogue type, but don't you need someone who can "spontaneously" melee if you really want to be flexible?

For flexibility + Melee Druid beats Warblade for all levels greater than 5.

subject42
2010-06-08, 02:06 PM

I thought about warblade, but there's a limit to what they can do outside of combat. They're really good at knocking down doors, but Binders can already do that.

Boci
2010-06-08, 02:14 PM
I thought about warblade, but there's a limit to what they can do outside of combat. They're really good at knocking down doors, but Binders can already do that.

They have diplomacy and some knowledges as class skills and 4 base skill points, but yes, binders are better for flexibility.

gallagher
2010-06-08, 02:17 PM
Binder, wizard, archivist, Druid

Boci
2010-06-08, 02:18 PM
Binder, wizard, archivist, Druid

Arcivist depends a lot of how freely available divine scrolls are. Closister cleric is arguable better.

Eldariel
2010-06-08, 02:29 PM
Archivist, Artificer, Druid, Wizard.

Boci
2010-06-08, 02:31 PM
Archivist, Artificer, Druid, Wizard.

How flexible is an artificer? I'd replace it with a second wizard.

Escheton
2010-06-08, 02:34 PM
Chameleon, RKV, JPM, SSN

Eldariel
2010-06-08, 02:35 PM

Between Infusions, all crafting feats in the game (and various bonuses to Crafting like XP pool and such), 4+Int skills including Trapfinding off rather Int-based "casting" and UMD boosts with effectively access to every spell in the game, very. It's...very much a function of how it's played but Artificer, when utilizing a large pool of items along with scrolls and wands + infusions is second to none in versatility. Being able to craft anything is pretty amazing, and getting stuff two levels before full casters is nice too.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-08, 03:34 PM
Truenamer, Monk, CW Samurai and Aristocrat. That gives you a Caster, Skill Monkey, Frontliner and Partyface, what else do you need?

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-08, 03:52 PM
Truenamer, Monk, CW Samurai and Aristocrat. That gives you a Caster, Skill Monkey, Frontliner and Partyface, what else do you need?

a DM who is cool with mahoosive optimization and you may actually have something there.

Druid (Melee + Healing), Wizard (Magic), Factotum (To fill the gaps), Artificer (Everything lol).

tordirycgoyust
2010-06-08, 10:51 PM
Pick any four of:
(Insert Tier 1 class here)
(Insert Cha based class with Leadership here)
(Insert class with Alter Self/Wildshape/etc. or decent Summoning/Gate/Planar Binding here.)

Jack_Simth
2010-06-08, 10:55 PM
Ah, don't. See, the Artificer can supply the "spells" for crafting scrolls, while the Wizard/Archivist plays the "creator" and supplies Scribe Scroll. It's now an Arcane/Divine scroll... of an arbitrary spell ... suitable for learning by the creator. Any spell in the game, available to the Archivist for repeated castings, for the cost of crafting a scroll. For that matter, *any* spell is available to the archivist that way, so the Wizard is quite redundant.

Draz74
2010-06-09, 01:50 AM
the Wizard is quite redundant.

So replace him with a StP Erudite ...

Amphetryon
2010-06-09, 05:27 AM
Binder, Factotum, Druid, StP Erudite.

Thurbane
2010-06-09, 06:00 AM
Human Binder, Killoren Factotum, Spellscale Bard/Master of Masks, Changeling Rogue/Chameleon

Greenish
2010-06-09, 06:42 AM
Rainbow Warsnake, (Wizard-base) Shadowcraft Mage, Druid, Malconvoker.

PId6
2010-06-09, 06:53 AM
I'm going to go with Artificer with Wand Surge + Unfettered Heroism, StP Erudite with Mental Pinnacle, Shadowcraft Mage with Miracle, and Planar Shepherd with time-related shenanigans. You've arcane (Artificer/Shadowcraft Mage/Erudite), divine (Artificer/Erudite/Shadowcraft Mage/Planar Shepherd), psionics (Erudite, arguably Shadowcraft Mage), and melee (Artificer with Polymorph, Erudite with Metamorphosis, Shadowcraft Mage with Draconic Polymorph, and Planar Shepherd with Wild Shape and Animal Companion), with each character able to do as much as they can.

3/4 of the characters have powerful unlimited assets (Artificer's wands, Erudite's PP, Planar Shepherd's Wild Shape essentially), and they all have broken tricks they can exploit. Between Erudite and Shadowcraft Miracles, there should be no situation that they don't have the spell for; the Artificer and Planar Shepherd are just there for muscle.

Prodan
2010-06-09, 06:55 AM
Bard, Binder, Factotum, Beguiler

Sliver
2010-06-09, 07:35 AM

Sounds like Mystery Men: D&D edition. Which is awesome and should be done.

Prodan
2010-06-09, 07:37 AM
Well, the Truenamer might not be badly off, since you get UMD as a class skill.

Solophoenix
2010-06-09, 07:45 AM

If it wasn't so overpowered, I'd suggest replacing the Aristocrat with a Healer, in case something manages to scratch that powerhouse of a team.

Sliver
2010-06-09, 08:13 AM
Well, the Truenamer might not be badly off, since you get UMD as a class skill.

UMD is a monk class feature, so Truenamer is free of that burden. :smalltongue:

Enguhl
2010-06-09, 08:29 AM
Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric.
What? It makes a solid and flexible party...

subject42
2010-06-09, 09:21 AM
If it wasn't so overpowered, I'd suggest replacing the Aristocrat with a Healer, in case something manages to scratch that powerhouse of a team.

Come on, that's what potions of healing are for.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-09, 09:52 AM
Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric.
What? It makes a solid and flexible party...

Druid (Warblade/Crusader), Factotum, Wizard, Artificer (Druid) however is the same party, just better all round. Though I suppose Cleric can be given a stay of execution.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-09, 09:58 AM
Sounds like Mystery Men: D&D edition. Which is awesome and should be done.

Yes it must be done now! But they do become effective and useful in the end while these classes probably wont. hmm...