PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry Presentation Advice

Burley
2010-06-08, 01:57 PM
Woo! College Chem! I'm doing a presentation on Shape Memory Alloys/Polymers and I'm looking for some cool things to say. I'm pretty confident in explaining the actual SMA/P, but the audience isn't exactly going to be as excited about chemistry as I am.
So, I've got some NiTinol wire that I'm going to use to impress everybody, but I'd also like some cool examples of what SMA/Ps are used for, like plane wings, eyeglasses, braces and Illusionist Spoons.

I know the playground has some genious scientists and engineers, so, hook a brother up!

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-08, 05:15 PM
I know they are what the key card in Metal Gear Solid is made of, and that's it.

Sorry that wasn't helpful, but I fel an uncontrollable urge to share my useless knowledge.

Runestar
2010-06-08, 05:50 PM
Youtube is probably your friend here, hopefully you can locate some impressive looking videos to hook your audience in, so they will pay more attention to what is otherwise a fairly dull topic.

Burley
2010-06-08, 06:17 PM
Fairly dull? Are you crazy? NiTinol has 26 different molecular structures, where most things have 1, or maybe 2.
Also, it returns to a rigid state when heated, which is the opposite of most other metals. That is sick! Crazy sick!
Maybe I'm just really impressed by metal... :smallredface:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-06-08, 11:16 PM
Fairly dull? Are you crazy? NiTinol has 26 different molecular structures, where most things have 1, or maybe 2.
Huh? Most organic compounds have dozens to hundreds of possible molecular structures and even simple compounds often have at least several possible enantiomers and diastereomers (enantiomer = same basic structure of a molecule, e.g. a cyclohexane ring + an amine group and a carboxyl group in the same position, but the different structures are mirror images of each other and are not superimposable, diastereomer = same as above except they're not mirror images of each other).

For example, something as simple as C6H6 has 217 possible configurations only one of which is benzene and at least a dozen of which are easily synthesizable (with another dozen or so possible to make, just not in an undergraduate environment).

Sorry, nothing to say on topic though.

u-gotNOgame
2010-06-09, 12:17 AM
For example, something as simple as C6H6 has 217 possible configurations only one of which is benzene and at least a dozen of which are easily synthesizable (with another dozen or so possible to make, just not in an undergraduate environment).

Yes but C6H6 can't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrsx6f4HrSE&feature=related) do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20J4NDgAYk) this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9f-W6Xi_Wo&feature=related)

Runestar
2010-06-09, 03:43 AM
Also, it returns to a rigid state when heated, which is the opposite of most other metals. That is sick! Crazy sick!
Maybe I'm just really impressed by metal... :smallredface:

Like the OP said, his audience isn't likely going to be as enthusiastic or knowledgeable about the subject as you are, so he will probably have to go out of his way to attract and retain their attention throughout his presentation.

Some may go "Yeah, it has 26 different molecular structures...so? What's your point?" At least I am not going bonkers over this particular tidbit. :smalltongue:

llamamushroom
2010-06-09, 05:30 AM
(enantiomer = same basic structure of a molecule, [...] but the different structures are mirror images of each other and are not superimposable).

I learned those as stereoisomers (with the example given being Thalidomide). Huh. Learn something new every day.

On topic: How long does the presentation have to be, and how much stuff do you already have? Basically, how much interesting filler do you need?

You said that your audience won't find it interesting - are you presenting to other college Chem students? I would've thought they would find it interesting, it being their chosen field of study and all. [/optimistic naivete]

Burley
2010-06-09, 03:26 PM
I learned those as stereoisomers (with the example given being Thalidomide). Huh. Learn something new every day.

On topic: How long does the presentation have to be, and how much stuff do you already have? Basically, how much interesting filler do you need?

You said that your audience won't find it interesting - are you presenting to other college Chem students? I would've thought they would find it interesting, it being their chosen field of study and all. [/optimistic naivete]

The presentation is only about 10 minutes. We're not supposed to use video, or let slideshows do the talkin' for us. They're chem students, but everybody there is taking the class because they need a lab science course. Most people there are in Economics and junk.

Huh? Most organic compounds have dozens to hundreds of possible molecular structures and even simple compounds often have at least several possible enantiomers and diastereomers (enantiomer = same basic structure of a molecule, e.g. a cyclohexane ring + an amine group and a carboxyl group in the same position, but the different structures are mirror images of each other and are not superimposable, diastereomer = same as above except they're not mirror images of each other).

Sorry, nothing to say on topic though.

Oh, yeah, they have possible formations. But, how many of these things, as a solid, allow molecules to slide along each other into another position. Also, this is a metal. Organic chemistry has lots of cool stuff, but when it comes to metallic elements and alloys, being able to do anything with them like this is crazy cool.

Adumbration
2010-06-09, 03:36 PM
There's a type of safety reflector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_reflector) I have that is probably some sort of shape memory polymer. Can't be sure, though. It's a few centimeters by about thirty centimeters shaped stripe of plastic, covered by a reflecting surface on the other side and a velvety surface on the other. The strip automatically curls around your arm, but if you stretch it out, you can hear a sort of click, and it stays stretched.

Like I said, could be wrong about it. Don't have it at hand at the moment, so can't confirm it.

EDIT: It's plastic, though, so I'm not sure if it applies to this. :smallredface:

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 06:07 PM
I say ditch the alloys and do a old fasioned volcano.:smallbiggrin: