PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law (Thread The Third!)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

mucat
2010-06-30, 12:48 PM
Well, just as Fir is named after a tree, Iris is named after a flower. I guess elves like to name their familiars after plants.
Unless Serrin was just too distracted to spell 'Fur' right...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 12:53 PM
Unless Serrin was just too distracted to spell 'Fur' right...

Nah, she wasn't. What would make her so distracted at name-your-familiar time though?

Kumo
2010-06-30, 12:54 PM
Nah, she wasn't. What would make her so distracted at name-your-familiar time though?

Shiny object?

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 01:06 PM
I'm assuming you know what my thoughts are going to be here. (Smirk)

mucat
2010-06-30, 01:19 PM

The newly summoned familiar pounced playfully on the hem of her mistress's robe. While on one hand, she was a magical creature imbued with phenomenal intelligence and mystical powers, on the other hand she was still a kitten.

"What do you want to be named, little one?" the wizard asked silently, testing the telepathic link that connected them.

"<I don't know>" the kitten thought back happily, pressing its head against her hand to be petted. "<You think of a name.>"

The wizard closed her eyes and considered. Naming a familiar was no light matter; the dual traditions of wizards and elves must both be given due respect, while not forgetting that each familiar is a unique creature, and deserves a name that reflects its individual...

The thought was interrupted by a sudden sneeze, as the wizard inhaled something that tickled her nose. Eyes snapping open, she realized that the little cat was shedding; as she pet it, she had filled the air with drifting cat hairs. The familiar was looking at her inquisitively, as if asking the reason for the strange sudden noise. She smiled down at it. "Fur," she explained.

"<Fir!>" came the kitten's delighted thoughts over the telepathic link. "<You named me after a tree! I love it!>"

"Er...yes," said Serrin. "A tree. Exactly."

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming you know what my thoughts are going to be here. (Smirk)

Her boyfriend was busy naming his familiar too. His snake familiar is named Yew.

Closak
2010-06-30, 01:59 PM
Her ex has a snake familiar?

Interesting...

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 02:06 PM
Her boyfriend was busy naming his familiar too. His snake familiar is named Yew.
Yew as in me? (Grins)

Lix Lorn: So slutty perverted open and friendly she not only goes through the fourth wall for *fun*, she installed a revolving door.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 02:11 PM
Yew as in me? (Grins)

Lix Lorn: So slutty perverted open and friendly she not only goes through the fourth wall for *fun*, she installed a revolving door.

Buh? :smallconfused:

Her ex has a snake familiar?

Interesting...

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/SerrinSmiley.png HEY! A man's alignment should not be judged simply on the basis of his familiar! And I'll have you know that Yew is much better mannered than Iris is!

Anitar
2010-06-30, 02:21 PM
Yew is much better mannered than Iris is!

But... everyone knows the right form of "be" for "you" is "are", not "is"! Work on your conjugation!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 02:22 PM
But... everyone knows the right form of "be" for "you" is "are", not "is"! Work on your conjugation!

Uh...Yew is the name of Naevarolf's snake familiar. Yew is also a type of tree.

Closak
2010-06-30, 02:32 PM
That's not what i meant and you know it.

...:smallamused:

Hehehehe

Asta Kask
2010-06-30, 02:43 PM
There's a lot of similar names in German (a language I'm taking in school), so I think I reached my conclusion the same way you did. Yay for foreign languages!
-Xavez

It is the name of the Roman goddess of the rainbow.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 02:49 PM
That's not what i meant and you know it.

...:smallamused:

Hehehehe

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/SerrinSmiley.png: For an elf? I consider it good advertising. :smallamused:

It is the name of the Roman goddess of the rainbow.

...Wait. Was there a conversation I missed?

In any case, update tomorrow and Friday. And Friday's my birthday! :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-30, 03:03 PM
Yew as in me? (Grins)

It's not yew as in you, but yew as in the tree. Don't you see?
-Xavez

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 03:22 PM
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/SerrinSmiley.png HEY! A man's alignment should not be judged simply on the basis of his familiar! And I'll have you know that Yew is much better mannered than Iris is!
Hey, Serrin! Would he sleep with me? The Ex, not the familiar. XD

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR TOMORROW

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-30, 03:29 PM
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/SerrinSmiley.png: For an elf? I consider it good advertising. :smallamused:

...Wait. Was there a conversation I missed?

In any case, update tomorrow and Friday. And Friday's my birthday! :smallbiggrin:

There was a conversation you missed, and happy birthday on friday!
-Xavez

mucat
2010-06-30, 03:30 PM
He can't. 'Cause, y'know, elf. Would you trance with him?

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR TOMORROW

Seconded!

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-30, 03:33 PM

Your answer is 42. Now if only we knew the question...
-Xavez

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-30, 03:44 PM
f*** i dont have a present XD

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 03:51 PM

Your continued support of this comic and your liking me? :smallsmile:

Dear god, the ideas just...Keep...Flowing. Water-Smurf helped me untangle the multiple plot threads and stuff that will happen later on...And it shows. Boy howdy, does it show!

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-30, 03:53 PM

You don't need a material gift, just give Coffee her a hug!
-Xavez
P.S. To Coffee (it's your birthday present):
*Hugs*
And also:
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/06/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg
You're welcome.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 04:30 PM
Hugs are good for the soul!
(Glomps Coffee)

Kumo
2010-06-30, 04:32 PM
Your answer is 42. Now if only we knew the question...
-Xavez

How many women has Chuck Norris seduced? =D

Seriously though. Aside from the 'life' joke, no idea >.>

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 04:47 PM
Hmm... I forget. What gender is Fir?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 04:49 PM
*Glomps everybody*

Hmm... I forget. What gender is Fir?

Both Fir and Iris are female. Thanks for getting us back on topic here. :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-06-30, 04:51 PM
*Glomps everybody*

DO IT AGAIN AND I SWEAR DEATH WILL FEEL LIKE A RELIEF WHEN I'M DONE WITH YOU :smallfurious:

... oooooh! Can of coke! :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-06-30, 05:02 PM
Both Fir and Iris are female. Thanks for getting us back on topic here. :smalltongue:
*I* got us *on*topic.
Alright everyone, apocalypse is coming. This is NOT a drill.

I needed to ask because [spoiler redacted]

Definitely not writing a minific. >_>

And if I were, it wouldn't be for Coffee's birthday. Nosirree...

Edit: Also... (Glomps Kumo)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 09:39 PM
Definitely not writing a minific. >_>

And if I were, it wouldn't be for Coffee's birthday. Nosirree...

Oh boy! :smallbiggrin:

Also, remember how I said that I wouldn't get in an update today?

I lied! :D

#53: He Didn't See Panel Five
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/HeDidntSeePanelFive.png

Just so you know, Janine really is sorry, and she does feel terrible about it.

mucat
2010-06-30, 09:59 PM
Just so you know, Janine really is sorry, and she does feel terrible about it.
But in that last panel, she's getting scary. She really needs to find someone she trusts, and listen to them.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 10:03 PM
But in that last panel, she's getting scary. She really needs to find someone she trusts, and listen to them.

Exactly. Janine is messed up inside. I'm not going to go into details, but she had, hands down, the worst childhood of any of the main characters. And the problem is that Radic is too passive in stopping Janine. Right now, Radic's the only one who has even the slightest hope of reasoning with her, but Radic's not doing anything and I'm not even sure that Janine would listen.

Do you like this update?

Kumo
2010-06-30, 10:05 PM
Exactly. Janine is messed up inside. I'm not going to go into details, but she had, hands down, the worst childhood of any of the main characters. And the problem is that Radic is too passive in stopping Janine. Right now, Radic's the only one who has even the slightest hope of reasoning with her, but Radic's not doing anything and I'm not even sure that Janine would listen.

Do you like this update?

... how the heck would YOU not be sure, she's your character!

And yes. Although that last panel freaks me out on three levels:
1) What janine was thinking
2) the look on her face
3) how matt was eating the cookies :smalleek:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 10:11 PM
... how the heck would YOU not be sure, she's your character!

And yes. Although that last panel freaks me out on three levels:
1) What janine was thinking
2) the look on her face
3) how matt was eating the cookies :smalleek:

It was a look of determination. Janine is absolutely convinced that Lloyd is also in lust love with her, but isn't consciously aware of it yet. Janine, due to various circumstances in her past that will be explained in full detail in the prequel, has the warped belief that A) Sex=Love, and B) The only way guys will like her is if she sleeps with them. Combine that with her other severe personal issues, remove the therapists, and nymphomania was practically inevitable.

And Matt loves those cookies. :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-06-30, 10:14 PM
Janine, due to various circumstances in her past that will be explained in full detail in the prequel, has the warped belief that A) Sex=Love, and B) The only way guys will like her is if she sleeps with them.

... that first one sounds like the average real world adult to me :smallconfused:

mucat
2010-06-30, 10:21 PM
Do you like this update?

I do like it, Coffee, but it's the single most depressing thing you've drawn. (I mean that as high praise for your storytelling skill. It means you can make us care about these characters enough that we feel bad when little stick drawings are in pain!)

I had always taken Janine for a good-natured hedonist who just needed to learn a few things about personal boundaries. (That they exist, for starters.) Even when some of the others who post here had caught on that she was deeply troubled, I still thought she was basically all right, if quirky and flawed like everyone else...

We've seen signs before that she's had a painful life...but this is heart-wrenching. She thinks the only thing anyone would value her for is sex, ergo anyone who doesn't want to sleep with her must not like anything about her. And this is all so deeply ingrained that she doesn't even see any of the assumptions she's making; they've been part of her brain for too long.

I wish Lloyd had talked to her longer, because brushing her worries off in a few sentences isn't going to even scratch the surface of what she needs to hear. But of course, he has every right to want to get the hell away from her, because no matter how much pain you're in, you can't grope someone who just told you not to. :smallfrown:

So yeah, great update artistically, and a very tough one to read.

Raz_Fox
2010-06-30, 10:25 PM
Happy birthday, CI. Continue to provide quality comics for a long time, if you would!

Also, while I logically agree with the "Oh poor Janine she's so messed up" sentiments, I can't get over Matt in the last panel. All the pathos I was feeling for her melted away when I saw him shoveling down the cookies. And now I feel bad about that, but I can't stop giggling about the cookies which makes me feel worse for laughing at something I should be feeling bad about and

WARNING. LOGIC ERROR. EXPLOSIVE DEBUGGING COMMENCE.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 10:27 PM
I do like it, Coffee, but it's the single most depressing thing you've drawn. (I mean that as high praise for your storytelling skill. It means you can make us care about these characters enough that we feel bad when little stick drawings are in pain!)

I had always taken Janine for a good-natured hedonist who just needed to learn a few things about personal boundaries. (That they exist, for starters.) Even when some of the others who post here had caught on that she was deeply troubled, I still thought she was basically all right, if quirky and flawed like everyone else...

We've seen signs before that she's had a painful life...but this is heart-wrenching. She thinks the only thing anyone would value her for is sex, ergo anyone who doesn't want to sleep with her must not like anything about her. And this is all so deeply ingrained that she doesn't even see any of the assumptions she's making; they've been part of her brain for too long.

I wish Lloyd had talked to her longer, because brushing her worries off in a few sentences isn't going to even scratch the surface of what she needs to hear. But of course, he has every right to want to get the hell away from her, because no matter how much pain you're in, you can't grope someone who just told you not to. :smallfrown:

So yeah, great update artistically, and a very tough one to read.

Thank you. You hit it right on the nose. :smallsmile:

The funny thing is that Janine started off as a good-natured hedonist, but as she slowly revealed more and more of her past...Well, this is the result. Lloyd is going to speak with her later, but now is not the time, unfortunately...

Happy birthday, CI. Continue to provide quality comics for a long time, if you would!

Also, while I logically agree with the "Oh poor Janine she's so messed up" sentiments, I can't get over Matt in the last panel. All the pathos I was feeling for her melted away.

Thank you! I hope I continue to as well.

And why is that? Because of the gag with Matt?

Raz_Fox
2010-06-30, 10:29 PM
And why is that? Because of the gag with Matt?

I hit the post button a bit early, but yeah. It was a bit hyperbolic - I still do feel bad for her - but COOKIES BWAHAHA

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 10:35 PM

Also, while I logically agree with the "Oh poor Janine she's so messed up" sentiments, I can't get over Matt in the last panel. All the pathos I was feeling for her melted away when I saw him shoveling down the cookies. And now I feel bad about that, but I can't stop giggling about the cookies which makes me feel worse for laughing at something I should be feeling bad about and

WARNING. LOGIC ERROR. EXPLOSIVE DEBUGGING COMMENCE.

*Snort* It's okay. I put that in on purpose. :smallbiggrin:

Expect a lot of mood whiplash as the comic continues.

Lycan 01
2010-06-30, 11:01 PM
Woo, surprise update! :smallbiggrin:

Wow. I mean really... wow. I didn't think Janine would actually go psycho-stalker over Lloyd. :smalleek:

I hope she doesn't do anything too drastic, though I don't mind if she does, since it'll probably be an awesome plot device you worked up months ago like the storytelling genius you've turned into. :smalltongue:

Also, Matt shovelling cookies down his throat like that is awesome, and gave me quite a hearty laugh. It seems like something I'd do - scarf down junk food while completely missing something important next to me. In fact... that's happened before. On many, many occasions... :smallredface:

Anterean
2010-07-01, 02:39 AM
"Why do you hate me"
"I don´t hate you"
"Then you love me"

You know there is a middle ground somewhere Janine

Cracklord
2010-07-01, 04:58 AM
Interesting dynamic you have here, isn't it?

Closak
2010-07-01, 05:00 AM
Missed opportunity Matt, missed opportunity.

...Wow, and here i thought i was good at shoveling down candy :smalleek:
At least i still pay attention to my surroundings while doing it.

And i think Lloyd is starting to get a little scared of Janine now...

Now...where's Tinder?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 06:16 AM
"Why do you hate me"
"I don´t hate you"
"Then you love me"

You know there is a middle ground somewhere Janine

She doesn't know there is a middle ground. Janine's past wasn't exactly child-friendly.

Interesting dynamic you have here, isn't it?

You mean that in a good way, right?

Tinder is asleep.

I'm starting to worry that I might not be able to post some of the stuff that happened in Janine's past, that it won't be forum friendly, even if I use censoring (Which of course I will)...

I really can't overemphasize just what Quark and Johan did to her.

Closak
2010-07-01, 06:27 AM
Quark and Johan?

Who are they?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 06:39 AM
Quark and Johan?

Who are they?

When you see them in the prequel, you'll want them to die in a fire. A very slow fire.

Closak
2010-07-01, 06:58 AM
I can think of worse than that.

But most of those would be far to graphic and violent for these forums.

Draconi Redfir
2010-07-01, 07:33 AM
matt: COOOOKIIIIIEEEESSS!! omnomnomnomnomnom

... i want cookies now...

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 08:39 AM
Well...
I know you said your birthday was friday, but I wrote it today and am IMPATIENT. So... happy birthday!

The sound of bedsprings moving, and quiet giggles-and the occasional moan.
And quiet whispers-but no-one could hear that part.

<Look, this is stupid and petty.> whispered a cat from the headrest, at the two girls who-fully dressed and on opposite sides of the large bed, were bouncing around, giggling, and moaning theatrically.

Fir facepawed.
<Why are you even doing this?> complained the familiar
“To embarrass my parents!”
“To interest Lloyd!”
They said simultaneously, murmuring just loud enough for each other to hear.

Then they giggled at each other and kept going.

Fir facepawed a second time. With Janine’s persistence, and Serrin’s hyperactivity, this would go on for hours...

Predictably, Saphrin and Lucrid were in the room next door. Of course, the very moment it had started, the wizard had simply scried her.
<If she had one tenth your smarts.> scowled Iris.
“Hey, she’s very smart.” said Saphrin indignantly.
<Yeah, with less common sense than her cat. Oh, wait, who does that remind me of?>
“Silence.” said Lucrid.

On the other side of the active room was Lloyd.

He had cotton in his ears, and an expression of true peace.

Several doors away was Matt, listening deeply and... Well, let’s just say it’s a good thing no-one was scrying on him.

In the room directly underneath the action was Radic.

Wishing she was there.

There is nothing dirty in there-though there is a short implication.

Disclaimer: If I have crossed any boundaries with this work, please remove the work and don't punish Coffee and her thread.
Although, it should be fine. You won't get the implication unless you already know it.

Hemnon
2010-07-01, 10:24 AM
i hope loyd and janine gets together....:smallbiggrin:

Kumo
2010-07-01, 10:27 AM
i hope loyd and janine gets together....:smallbiggrin:

I hope janine gets a major attitude adjustment.

Zanaril
2010-07-01, 10:28 AM
#53: He Didn't See Panel Five

That last panel is gold. Whiplash is my favourite flavour of funny. :smallbiggrin:

Well...
I know you said your birthday was friday, but I wrote it today and am IMPATIENT. So... happy birthday!
Poor Matt.

Although that goes wihout saying.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 10:52 AM
Poor Matt.

Although that goes wihout saying.
Duh. XD

(Tries to resist urge to attention whore quietly ask for feedback)

Zanaril
2010-07-01, 11:07 AM
(Tries to resist urge to attention whore quietly ask for feedback)

The idea is great, although it could have done with a little bit more build-up before we found out what was really going on.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 11:36 AM
You're probably right, but I had no clue how to do that. Thanks. XD

Allan Surgite
2010-07-01, 12:02 PM
That mood whiplash was... uh, evident.

And "prequel"? Something to look forward to, indeed; Janine's backstory is certainly shaping up to be interesting at the very least, haha.

Cizak
2010-07-01, 01:52 PM
Could someone be so kind to explain the title of the last comic to me?

Kumo
2010-07-01, 01:53 PM
Could someone be so kind to explain the title of the last comic to me?

Matt didn't see them about to get it on :smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2010-07-01, 02:32 PM
I enjoyed it Lix, and I think it was better that you revealed that they were faking it right at the beginning. That made it funnier because the reader could see why they were doing it, and the results it was reaping. Good job. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 03:29 PM
I liked it, Lix. Thanks. :smallsmile:

You know what else about Janine?

The happy, excited, somewhat hedonistic Janine that we know of from before? That's who Janine was supposed to be. She would always have a very active libido, no matter what. But Johan and Quark twisted Janine's mindset, making her truly believe that men only like her for sex, and if they don't want to sleep with her, then they hate her.

Janine made a lot of progress with Radic and the whole Quilla family, and the person that she was supposed to be began to emerge. Radic was the first real friend that Janine had had in years, and she really helped the poor girl.

However, once Janine met Lloyd, a lot of the progress she made went out the window. She had been suppressing the beliefs from before, and Lloyd looks very similar to Johan... (No, they are NOT the same person! Johan is in his late 30s-early 40s right now, and Lloyd's 26!)

Lycan 01
2010-07-01, 03:34 PM
Very informative psychoanalysis. You put a LOT of thought into your characters. A lot more than me... :smalleek:

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 03:59 PM
I'm glad people liked it. :smallsmile:

Oooh. Can I Meteor Swarm this Johan in multiple orifices?

Closak
2010-07-01, 04:20 PM
Nah, using "Power Word: AGONY!!!" on him would be better.

Especially if we then dump him in a pocket dimension and leave him to rot in there for the rest of eternity while the spell remains active, ensuring that he is in as much pain as possible and then some at all times :smallbiggrin:

Man, i love using that home-brewed sucker on people who deserve it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 04:22 PM

But you don't even know who he is!

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 04:46 PM
But you don't even know who he is!
He hurt a lovable sex fiend. I don't have to.

Kumo
2010-07-01, 05:22 PM
He hurt a lovable sex fiend. I don't have to.

Correction: he TURNED HER into a loveable sex fiend.

I say we put him through the operation eunuchs go through. The medevial version has a rather substantial chance of death :smallbiggrin: And if that doesn't work...

well there's always a metal pipe.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-01, 05:23 PM

That depends on if you save some of them for me. *wins initiative and shoots for the unmentionables*

Ah, I love it when their scream suddenly becomes much more high-pitched.
-Xavez

Cracklord
2010-07-01, 05:23 PM
My favorite part is watching them try to move afterward.
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nah, using "Power Word: AGONY!!!" on him would be better.

Especially if we then dump him in a pocket dimension and leave him to rot in there for the rest of eternity while the spell remains active, ensuring that he is in as much pain as possible and then some at all times :smallbiggrin:

Man, i love using that home-brewed sucker on people who deserve it.

How about we kill him, or use magic to forcefully convert him to Lawful evil (all you need is two ninth level vile or celestial spells and possibly a helm of opposite alignment) then kill him and let the devils sort him out?
I'm sure he'd enjoy the forth level of hell.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 05:30 PM
Your suggestions are too fast.
We turn him to stone. And do NOT kill him in the process-make him feel everything as if he were flesh.
Chisel him apart.
Drop the pieces into the core.

As living magma, he burns constantly and eternally.

mucat
2010-07-01, 05:38 PM
So far, Quark is getting off easy, perhaps because his/her name doesn't actually sound like a person.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 05:41 PM
Wow. And I haven't even officially introduced him yet. :smalleek:

You know what? I'm going to draw him on Inkscape. Would you like to see him younger, or in present day? :smallamused:

So far, Quark is getting off easy, perhaps because his/her name doesn't actually sound like a person.

Yeah. Quark's the one who starts this whole mess.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 05:46 PM
Whatever age he was.

Quark gets the same treatment. They will be empathically linked to have each others pain added to theirs.
They don't SHARE the pain. That would imply it was halved for each of them.

Closak
2010-07-01, 05:47 PM
...*Sharpens the "Dagger of Pain +13" one of my superiors had lying around*

Hey Quark, it's FUN TIME!
Don't worry, this won't hurt one bit...for me.

Below: In that case i make sure to aim for the ears (Manic grin)

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-01, 05:47 PM

No, I'm letting him off because he's a bartender. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(Star_Trek))
-Xavez

mucat
2010-07-01, 05:50 PM
Next time I teach a field theory class, right before writing a quark annihilation operator on the board, I'll make sure to mutter, "This is for Janine, you bastard."

No one will know what the hell I'm talking about. It will be glorious. :smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 05:54 PM
Next time I teach a field theory class, right before writing a quark annihilation operator on the board, I'll make sure to mutter, "This is for Janine, you bastard."

No one will know what the hell I'm talking about. It will be glorious. :smallconfused:

Awesome. And you're a teacher?

And I'm making Young Johan now.

Kumo
2010-07-01, 05:57 PM
Awesome. And you're a teacher?

And I'm making Young Johan now.

... and here i thought Johan and Quark would be parents or something =/

... in retrospect it should've been really bloody obvious. Lord i'm stupid :smallannoyed:

ShinyDelusion
2010-07-01, 06:04 PM

It does to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fans! And not-fans who still know the show well enough to know the names of the main cast members. That other Quark's crimes weren't so sexual in nature, however.

I hate to look like both a killjoy and a Trekkie hypocrite, but, in my humble opinion, even though Johan is, sort of (since his very existence has been little more than implied, if even that much, in-comic), a character in Murphey's Law, discussing violent ways to torture/kill him is walking both the discussion-of-topic line and the graphic violence line. My point is it's not really providing Coffee with any usable or ego-boosting feedback, so it's not very productive. Nor is it very pleasant for people with vivid, image-oriented, imaginations.

I like your latest updates, Coffee. The latest comic is very telling about Janine's mindset, but I must confess I also found it a little disheartening; at first it looks as if Lloyd and Janine's relationship will finally take steps in a more mature direction, but by the end it looks like things will simply return to the way they were. I realize this may just be your way of showing that the problem with Janine is some very serious damage that will take a lot of time and perhaps professional help to heal, but it makes me wonder how much longer Lloyd will be able to tolerate her behavior when he realizes that this conversation didn't change her mindset. Problems like this can break up a group, and, since I know that outcome is unlikely, I'm left a little confused about how this can be resolved without Lloyd practically confirming Janine's warped worldview by growing to hate her, an outcome I also doubt I'll see and don't want to see.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-01, 06:09 PM

... in retrospect it should've been really bloody obvious. Lord i'm stupid :smallannoyed:

I'm even worse. I didn't even know why Coffee was making them.
-Xavez

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 06:15 PM
It does to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fans! And not-fans who still know the show well enough to know the names of the main cast members. That other Quark's crimes weren't so sexual in nature, however.

I hate to look like both a killjoy and a Trekkie hypocrite, but, in my humble opinion, even though Johan is, sort of (since his very existence has been little more than implied, if even that much, in-comic), a character in Murphey's Law, discussing violent ways to torture/kill him is walking both the discussion-of-topic line and the graphic violence line. My point is it's not really providing Coffee with any usable or ego-boosting feedback, so it's not very productive. Nor is it very pleasant for people with vivid, image-oriented, imaginations.

I like your latest updates, Coffee. The latest comic is very telling about Janine's mindset, but I must confess I also found it a little disheartening; at first it looks as if Lloyd and Janine's relationship will finally take steps in a more mature direction, but by the end it looks like things will simply return to the way they were. I realize this may just be your way of showing that the problem with Janine is some very serious damage that will take a lot of time and perhaps professional help to heal, but it makes me wonder how much longer Lloyd will be able to tolerate her behavior when he realizes that this conversation didn't change her mindset. Problems like this can break up a group, and, since I know that outcome is unlikely, I'm left a little confused about how this can be resolved without Lloyd practically confirming Janine's warped worldview by growing to hate her, an outcome I also doubt I'll see and don't want to see.

Thank you, Shiny. I'm starting to get a bit fed up as well.

And yes. Janine has suffered serious emotional damage that is going to take a very long time to heal. And trust me on this one. Lloyd has the patience of a saint. He knows better than anyone else that Janine needs to face her demons on her own terms, and is willing to give her the support she needs. The problem is that either Radic or Janine need to explain what happened for him to learn.

... in retrospect it should've been really bloody obvious. Lord i'm stupid

Buh? :smallconfused:

Lix Lorn
2010-07-01, 06:19 PM
I'll be good. Sorry, Coffee.

CWater
2010-07-01, 06:19 PM
I hate to look like both a killjoy and a Trekkie hypocrite, but, in my humble opinion, even though Johan is, sort of (since his very existence has been little more than implied, if even that much, in-comic), a character in Murphey's Law, discussing violent ways to torture/kill him is walking both the discussion-of-topic line and the graphic violence line.

Thank you ShinyDelusion, I was just about to say something similiar,
-minus the Star Trek part. :smallwink:

Buut about the update:
I...liked it, in the sense that it had deeper...meaning. I find it interesting how this Janine's nyphomania started out as something funny and laughable, but has begun to feel more like somewhat sad in the resent strips. I approve this change, it was well done. Now I'm eager to know how this will continue.

...Needless to say I'm hoping for a happy ending.:smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 06:22 PM
Thank you ShinyDelusion, I was just about to say something similiar,
-minus the Star Trek part. :smallwink:

Buut about the update:
I...liked it, in the sense that it had deeper...meaning. I find it interesting how this Janine's nyphomania started out as something funny and laughable, but has begun to feel more like somewhat sad in the resent strips. I approve this change, it was well done. Now I'm eager to know how this will continue.

...Needless to say I'm hoping for a happy ending.:smallsmile:

Thank you. And that was my plan. It looks funny, and a great running gag, but then you take a closer look...And it's not so funny anymore.

And here. This is a 20-something-year-old Johan with a 14-year-old Janine. They just met.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/JohanAndJanine.png

Lycan 01
2010-07-01, 08:29 PM
Oooooh noooooooo... He's an older guy, someone she looks up to, and a Cleric to boot. This... this just can't end well. :smallfrown:

Kumo
2010-07-01, 08:45 PM
I've been reading through this again and realized i never asked what that thing is Matt is holding at the end.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/DiggingYourselfDeeper.png

mucat
2010-07-01, 09:06 PM
Oooooh noooooooo... He's an older guy, someone she looks up to, and a Cleric to boot. This... this just can't end well. :smallfrown:

Oh, it could totally have ended well:

Johan teaches Janine magic, Janine is totally happy and proud of herself for learning it, and they both live rewarding lives full of invigorating challenges, good friendship, and hilarious punchlines.

It didn't end well, but that is specifically that one bastard's fault...

Now I have to go track down that picture Coffee made of a totally-badass-flying-Janine locked in a spell duel with an older, cruelly reactionary cleric of her own faith. Was that an older Johan she was fighting?

RdMarquis
2010-07-01, 09:08 PM
Ugh. I wish my computer hadn't caught that virus. I missed an update and about 2 pages of stuff.

Like most of you guys, Matt downing those cookies in the last comic had me laughing for a while, until I realized the sad implications of the conversation between Janine and Lloyd.

That picture makes me a little sad, too. It's such a shame, Johan looks so nice at the moment (or maybe that's just my low wisdom score). But, I'm sure my opinion with him will take the same 180 turn as his deity's alignment and I'll join the angry mob.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 09:40 PM
I've been reading through this again and realized i never asked what that thing is Matt is holding at the end.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/DiggingYourselfDeeper.png

It's a stink bomb.

Oooooh noooooooo... He's an older guy, someone she looks up to, and a Cleric to boot. This... this just can't end well.

You have no idea.

Now I have to go track down that picture Coffee made of a totally-badass-flying-Janine locked in a spell duel with an older, cruelly reactionary cleric of her own faith. Was that an older Johan she was fighting?

No, he's not. That older zealot cleric is named Hyperion.

Like most of you guys, Matt downing those cookies in the last comic had me laughing for a while, until I realized the sad implications of the conversation between Janine and Lloyd.

That's what I was aiming for. In case you didn't notice, I really like doing whiplash stuff like that. :smalltongue:

That picture makes me a little sad, too. It's such a shame, Johan looks so nice at the moment (or maybe that's just my low wisdom score). But, I'm sure my opinion with him will take the same 180 turn as his deity's alignment and I'll join the angry mob.

That's the point. I really hope that I'll be able to elicit the same emotional response when I show the entire thing. Which will probably be a long, long time from now... :smallfrown:

Aaron
2010-07-01, 09:49 PM
Wow. Janine is really someone who had a messed up childhood. You've really shown that with this comic, Coffee. It's such an interesting character development flow. Keep it up Coffee! :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Also, Matt shovelling cookies down his throat like that is awesome, and gave me quite a hearty laugh. It seems like something I'd do - scarf down junk food while completely missing something important next to me. In fact... that's happened before. On many, many occasions... :smallredface:

Hee hee. I have to agree. Matt(hew) shovelling the cookies is just too funny. :smallbiggrin: And he said he hated elves. :smalltongue:

mucat
2010-07-01, 09:56 PM
No, he's not. That older zealot cleric is named Hyperion.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you drew that picture. See, the Janine who is fighting Hyperion there seems closer to the person I first mistook her for: confident in her own self-worth, comfortable with her own array of quirks and flaws, happy to be alive and exploring the world, and determined to make sure everyone else gets that same opportunity

It might be that she's not that way, and the picture just represents a brief moment where an otherwise tortured soul manages to get her **** together and does something that needs to be done (and even that is inspiring, in its own way)...but I like to think the picture holds out hope that she evolves into somebody awesome. :smallsmile:

RdMarquis
2010-07-01, 10:03 PM
Hee hee. I have to agree. Matt(hew) shovelling the cookies is just too funny. :smallbiggrin: And he said he hated elves. :smalltongue:

So they're elves that make great cookies? Like the Keebler elves? :smallbiggrin: (I know that wasn't an intentional reference, but it still made me laugh).

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-01, 10:05 PM
Wow. Janine is really someone who had a messed up childhood. You've really shown that with this comic, Coffee. It's such an interesting character development flow. Keep it up Coffee! :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Thank you! I hope I can keep it up as well.

Exactly. In making Murphy's Law, I deliberately set out to make the elves genuinely likable. And to do that, I had to smash all the major stereotypes about them into little tiny shards, then smash the shards. :smallbiggrin:

Nonetheless, I'm glad you drew that picture. See, the Janine who is fighting Hyperion there seems closer to the person I first mistook her for: confident in her own self-worth, comfortable with her own array of quirks and flaws, happy to be alive and exploring the world, and determined to make sure everyone else gets that same opportunity

It might be that she's not that way, and the picture just represents a brief moment where an otherwise tortured soul manages to get her **** together and do something that needs to be done (and even that is inspiring, in its own way)...but I like to think the picture holds out hope that she evolves into somebody awesome.

How are you so good at character analysis? Seriously, it's scary. :smalleek:

The person fighting Hyperion is the person who Janine was supposed to be. Whether or not she's able to find that person again, and remain that person instead of using it as a facade...You'll see.

Closak
2010-07-02, 03:28 AM
By the way.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COFFEE! :smallbiggrin::smallsmile:

CWater
2010-07-02, 05:21 AM
The person fighting Hyperion is the person who Janine was supposed to be. Whether or not she's able to find that person again, and remain that person instead of using it as a facade...You'll see.

Already looking forward to it.:smallsmile: By the way, has Matt's attitude towards elves changed at all for the better, or does he just consider the Peakanes a rare exception?

...Hmm, I'm sure there was something else I was supposed to remember...oh! Of course, this! (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/CBirthday.jpg)

Excuse my horrendous handwriting ^^', but Happy Birthday nonetheless!:smallbiggrin: May you have an awesome day! About the artstyle in that pic, well if I would ever draw a comic that's probably tha style I'd use. (Not that I probably ever will...):smallsmile: So they are a little short on purpose.

I also arranged all my pics and skethes into a practical list, that you can put into the OP.:smalltongue:

Sketch1 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch1.jpg)

Sketch2 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch2.jpg)

Sketch3 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch3.jpg)

Sketch4 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch4.jpg)

Sketch5 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch5.jpg)

Sketch6 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch6.jpg)

Lloyd Zephyr (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Lloydcolor6.jpg)

Radic Quilla (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Radiccolor1.jpg)

Matt Silver (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Mattcolor2.jpg)

Janine Nova (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Janinecolor3.jpg)

Tinder (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Tindercolor2.jpg)

Serrin Peakane (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Serrincolor1.jpg)

Colourhelp (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/rColourhelp.jpg)

Birthday (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/CBirthday.jpg)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-02, 06:34 AM
Already looking forward to it.:smallsmile: By the way, has Matt's attitude towards elves changed at all for the better, or does he just consider the Peakanes a rare exception?

...Hmm, I'm sure there was something else I was supposed to remember...oh! Of course, this! (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/CBirthday.jpg)

Excuse my horrendous handwriting ^^', but Happy Birthday nonetheless!:smallbiggrin: May you have an awesome day! About the artstyle in that pic, well if I would ever draw a comic that's probably tha style I'd use. (Not that I probably ever will...):smallsmile: So they are a little short on purpose.

I also arranged all my pics and skethes into a practical list, that you can put into the OP.:smalltongue:

Sketch1 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch1.jpg)

Sketch2 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch2.jpg)

Sketch3 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch3.jpg)

Sketch4 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch4.jpg)

Sketch5 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch5.jpg)

Sketch6 (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Sketch6.jpg)

Lloyd Zephyr (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Lloydcolor6.jpg)

Radic Quilla (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Radiccolor1.jpg)

Matt Silver (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Mattcolor2.jpg)

Janine Nova (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Janinecolor3.jpg)

Tinder (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Tindercolor2.jpg)

Serrin Peakane (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/Serrincolor1.jpg)

Colourhelp (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/rColourhelp.jpg)

Birthday (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/meriwater/FanArt/CBirthday.jpg)

He considers the Peakanes a rare exception.

Aww, thanks guys! And don't worry, CWater, my handwriting is worse. Much, much worse. :smalleek:

Lix Lorn
2010-07-02, 06:45 AM
My handwriting is WORSERER.
Ohgod. Please don't say Johan is another Master. :smalleek:
I don't have enough free time to write more plans for killing him...

Anyway, happy birthday. ^_^And here's to many more!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-02, 06:46 AM
My handwriting is WORSERER.
Ohgod. Please don't say Johan is another Master. :smalleek:
I don't have enough free time to write more plans for killing him...

Anyway, happy birthday. ^_^And here's to many more!

No. Trust me, it's not.

Uhm, well...Not really...

Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

And people, if you're posting just to say happy brithday, please stay on topic and go here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158548)

Lix Lorn
2010-07-02, 07:26 AM
My handwriting is bad enough that I get a laptop during exams.

Oh, I hope not. Because if he was, me and Chloe would have to plan torture again and that always creeps people out.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 09:47 AM
My handwriting is bad enough that I get a laptop during exams.

Oh, I hope not. Because if he was, me and Chloe would have to plan torture again and that always creeps people out.

:smalleek: i thought mine was bad...

half-halfling
2010-07-02, 01:19 PM
Happy birthday, Coffe! I read your comic from the beginning, and I must say it's my second favourite webcomic (after Order of the Stick). You have awesome ideas, and excellent drawing skills.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-02, 02:22 PM

It can easily end well. Unless Astrid is some sort of fertility god on his off-days.
-Xavez

Kumo
2010-07-02, 02:23 PM
It can easily end well. Unless Astrid is some sort of fertility god on his off-days.
-Xavez
i thought Astrid was female :smallconfused:

Draconi Redfir
2010-07-02, 02:26 PM
preity sure she is

Asta Kask
2010-07-02, 02:27 PM
In Sweden it's a girl's name. And I think she's generally a goddess of Goody Two-Shoes.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-02, 02:34 PM
Her off-days then. Being a female fertility goddess makes more sense anyways. Unless you're an egyptian! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapy)
-Xavez

The Succubus
2010-07-02, 06:02 PM
Bit late but happy birthday to our resident comic dispensing goddess =D

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-02, 07:40 PM
Happy birthday, Coffe! I read your comic from the beginning, and I must say it's my second favourite webcomic (after Order of the Stick). You have awesome ideas, and excellent drawing skills.

Aww, thanks! :smallredface:

For the record (Again.) Yes, Astrid is female. No, she is not a fertility goddess.

mucat
2010-07-02, 07:49 PM
Aieeee! Astrid is the Bringer of Pestilence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)!

...OK, she's probably not.

And happy birthday, Coffee! I hope this will be a good year for you. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-02, 07:57 PM
Aieeee! Astrid is the Bringer of Pestilence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)!

...OK, she's probably not.

And happy birthday, Coffee! I hope this will be a good year for you. :smallsmile:

Me too. I'm applying to colleges this year. :smalleek:

I don't know if I can do an update today. Sorry.

Lycan 01
2010-07-02, 10:36 PM
Aw, no update today? Oh well, you deserve a break. It is your birthday. :smalltongue:

So, any idea how long-ish it'll take you to write Murphy's Law? I'm curious as to how long you intend to keep this up.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-02, 11:15 PM
Aw, no update today? Oh well, you deserve a break. It is your birthday. :smalltongue:

So, any idea how long-ish it'll take you to write Murphy's Law? I'm curious as to how long you intend to keep this up.

I expect Murphy's Law to last several more years. :smalleek:

And I've actually been working on this all day in my spare time, as well as enduring my mom constantly complaining that I'm addicted to the internet. Here you go!

#54: All Aboard The Plot Train
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/AllAboardThePlotTrain.png

I say that they're playing a flute-and-violin version of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu5LvkSKl4&feature=related)

Lycan 01
2010-07-02, 11:24 PM
Wait, since when are they going to see an ambassador? Is this new, or did I just forget part of the plot? :smallconfused:

Also, I noticed Fir tackling Iris, and I assume this stems from our discussion of Familiars sharing feelings with their owners. Awesome... :smalltongue:

RdMarquis
2010-07-02, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I know I already made a note of this, but were your version of familiars inspired by the daemons from Pullman's Dark Materials series?

Either way, a cat tacklehugging a bird is just adorable. :smallsmile:

CWater
2010-07-02, 11:34 PM
Is there a better way to start a day than by reading a new comic?:smallbiggrin:

Teehee! I too loves that tacklehug, adorable. Hmm...so Serrin's gonna serve as an ambassador? I wonder how that's gonna turn out...:smallamused:

mucat
2010-07-02, 11:57 PM
Hmm...so Serrin's gonna serve as an ambassador? I wonder how that's gonna turn out...:smallamused:

"No tackling Prince Riley" would be a good initial ground rule.

Wonderful comic, Coffee, though please remember that you can take a day off whenever you feel like it -- we love the comics, but you don't have to spend your birthday keeping us entertained!

I was slow on the uptake on the last couple panels; at first I thought Fir was just grabbing a chance to take out some good-natured familiar rivalry on Iris while both their wizards were distracted. Then I realized that she was mirroring Serrin's emotions, and glomping Iris as Serrin glomped her mom...and I laughed so hard that people in this coffeeshop are still giving me funny looks. :smallredface: :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2010-07-03, 12:11 AM
Wow, both of us made a comic on our birthdays.:smallsmile: Anyways, here's a celebratory comic of our birthday Coffee.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt255/silverraptor_photo/Birthdaycomic.png

By the way, it's really shaping into a great comic. Keep it up.:smallwink:

Aaron
2010-07-03, 01:09 AM
Thank you! I hope I can keep it up as well.

Exactly. In making Murphy's Law, I deliberately set out to make the elves genuinely likable. And to do that, I had to smash all the major stereotypes about them into little tiny shards, then smash the shards. :smallbiggrin:

You're welcome. :smallsmile:
So thats where all those truckloads of sand in-front of my house came from! :smalleek:

Ohhhhh! An update.:smallbiggrin:

I like the idea of "phones" that operate on sending spells. Who says you need electronics for communications? :smalltongue:
I love how Serrin is tackle hugging her mom, also that Fir is tackling Iris. Really shows that Familiar bonds can go a long way.

And now Saphrin is going to give the boys a talk about "behavior" around Serrin. Well, this will make the party an even balance of boys and girls, soooo... :smallamused::smallwink:

Asta Kask
2010-07-03, 02:15 AM
Wait, since when are they going to see an ambassador? Is this new, or did I just forget part of the plot? :smallconfused:

They don't have a plot right now. They "killed" the green dragon and then they went to the magic academy to pick up a wizard. Well, mission accomplished.

And happy birthday SilverRaptor.

Grim ranger
2010-07-03, 02:25 AM
Dragon Roost duet? I smell Zelda reference here, specifically Wind Waker... but I was wrong with my last wild mass guess too...

And adorable elves are adorable :smallbiggrin:

Zanaril
2010-07-03, 04:15 AM
#54: All Aboard The Plot Train
They probably should have blindfolded Iris too.

Sereg
2010-07-03, 05:12 AM

Iris would've still known. Empathic link remember.

Anyway, I've caught up again and am still enjoying this.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-03, 05:50 AM
Thank you everybody!

And thank you, Silverraptor! Happy birthday too! :smallbiggrin:

Dragon Roost duet? I smell Zelda reference here, specifically Wind Waker... but I was wrong with my last wild mass guess too...

And adorable elves are adorable :smallbiggrin:

That is a Zelda reference. They're playing the Dragon Roost Island theme song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu5LvkSKl4&feature=related)

Wait, since when are they going to see an ambassador? Is this new, or did I just forget part of the plot?

It's new. This is the catalyst for the entire rest of the story.

Yeah, I know I already made a note of this, but were your version of familiars inspired by the daemons from Pullman's Dark Materials series?

Not consciously. I took "Empathetic Link" to the next logical step.

"No tackling Prince Riley" would be a good initial ground rule.

Probably. She'd be mobbed by the guards in a moment.

Wonderful comic, Coffee, though please remember that you can take a day off whenever you feel like it -- we love the comics, but you don't have to spend your birthday keeping us entertained!

But I promised Friday updates whenever possible!

I was slow on the uptake on the last couple panels; at first I thought Fir was just grabbing a chance to take out some good-natured familiar rivalry on Iris while both their wizards were distracted. Then I realized that she was mirroring Serrin's emotions, and glomping Iris as Serrin glomped her mom...and I laughed so hard that people in this coffeeshop are still giving me funny looks.

Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

I like the idea of "phones" that operate on sending spells. Who says you need electronics for communications?

Remember what I said about how, as the manipulation of Arcana grows more sophisticated, I can create modern technology? :smallamused:

I've even thought up two major companies for the Modern-Aequar setting: Arcanovation Incorporated, and Arcantech Industries! :smallbiggrin:

They don't have a plot right now. They "killed" the green dragon and then they went to the magic academy to pick up a wizard. Well, mission accomplished.

Yep. And now the team's all together and it's time for things to go full steam ahead!

That wouldn't have worked.

Closak
2010-07-03, 06:10 AM
Uh-oh, Saphrin is gonna have a talk with the boys of the team...

Saphrin: If you touch my daughter...
Matt, Tinder, and Lloyd: Wouldn't think of it :smalleek:

You know, to anyone who didn't know that they were familiars it might look like Fir was trying to turn Iris into lunch, cats are known for doing that to birds.

So...how long until the %&¤# hits the fan and everything starts going horribly wrong?

Mina Kobold
2010-07-03, 06:22 AM
So...how long until the %&¤# hits the fan and everything starts going horribly wrong?

Three days, two minutes and forty-four seconds, if my calculations are correct.

And now I will go back to carefully plan out every second of dinner, time is money!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-03, 06:48 AM
Uh-oh, Saphrin is gonna have a talk with the boys of the team...

Saphrin: If you touch my daughter...
Matt, Tinder, and Lloyd: Wouldn't think of it :smalleek:

You know, to anyone who didn't know that they were familiars it might look like Fir was trying to turn Iris into lunch, cats are known for doing that to birds.

Murphy's Law starts to kick in again in about 10 strips or so.

The **** really hits the fan in about 50 strips.

Closak
2010-07-03, 07:00 AM
So around comic 100 things should be getting really ugly for our poor heroes then.

Break the Goody Two Shoes, Break the Nature Lover, Break the Jerkass with a heart of gold, Break the Dragon, Break the Nymphomaniac, Break the Cutie
Break everyone...

...I smell Kago. *Starts building bomb shelter*

Draconi Redfir
2010-07-03, 08:58 AM
... wonder if the bird was able to feel as "exited" as the mom all night... probly not, that might be going a little too far XD

The Succubus
2010-07-03, 11:53 AM
... wonder if the bird was able to feel as "exited" as the mom all night... probly not, that might be going a little too far XD

This smells like Crack Pairing Country. =D

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-04, 01:50 PM
This smells like Crack Pairing Country. =D

:smallwink:

And now for my mandatory advertising. :smalltongue: I'm doing a Let's Play of Mother 3. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158775)

Hmmm...You know what? After I finish swimming, I'm doing a Happy Fourth Of July panel! :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-04, 02:10 PM
:smallwink:

And now for my mandatory advertising. :smalltongue: I'm doing a Let's Play of Mother 3. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158775)

Hmmm...You know what? After I finish swimming, I'm doing a Happy Fourth Of July panel! :smallbiggrin:

Wait. What? You're swimming while you post this? You have a perfectly waterproof computer? Or are you posting with you mind alone? Please tell me how!

*facepalm*
-Xavez

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-04, 03:02 PM
Wait. What? You're swimming while you post this? You have a perfectly waterproof computer? Or are you posting with you mind alone? Please tell me how!

*facepalm*
-Xavez

Actually, I'm swimming after I post this. Change of plans.

Happy 4th of July to all American Murphy's Law Readers! Enjoy this panel!

...Even if you're not American, I think you'll enjoy it anyway. :smalltongue:

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/4thOfJuly.png

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-04, 03:04 PM

Wait coffee, I am confused now, didn't you hate fanservice:smallconfused:

OTOH I do like fanservice

Mina Kobold
2010-07-04, 03:12 PM

I enjoyed it despite being European, mostly because it's my birthday but that's irrelevant :smalltongue:

Closak
2010-07-04, 03:16 PM
For some reason the sight of Tinder like that has me cracking up *Puts hand over mouth to keep from making to much sound*

...That's...an interesting tatoo you have there Matt...

And for some reason Serrin is displaying the most cleavage out of the three girls...um...

Ninjaman
2010-07-04, 04:05 PM
Awsome, It´s really Funny:thog:

Just one question, Why are the legs so long?

Anyway awsome

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-04, 04:16 PM

OTOH I do like fanservice

I'm making fun of it. Besides, compared to what I saw at the beach, those suits are downright modest.

I enjoyed it despite being European, mostly because it's my birthday but that's irrelevant

Happy Birthday!

...That's...an interesting tatoo you have there Matt...

And for some reason Serrin is displaying the most cleavage out of the three girls...um...

It signifies that he's a fully recognized rogue from the Tobeem Rogue's Guild.

No, actually Janine is. Her holy symbol blocks a lot of it though.

Awsome, It´s really Funny

Just one question, Why are the legs so long?

Thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy! And the legs are long because that's my drawing style.

RdMarquis
2010-07-04, 05:43 PM
I didn't notice the first time, but that's one wicked scar Lloyd has.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-04, 05:51 PM
I'm making fun of it. Besides, compared to what I saw at the beach, those suits are downright modest.

:smallsigh: I knew I should have finished that post with a :smalltongue:, It was a joke based on the title of the very first strip.....

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-04, 08:41 PM
I didn't notice the first time, but that's one wicked scar Lloyd has.

Actually, he has two scars. One was in a training accident, the other was in a fight.

I knew I should have finished that post with a , It was a joke based on the title of the very first strip.....

Sorry...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-04, 08:43 PM
Sorry...

Don't be, it was my fault for forgetting than showing emotion or non-grammar/language based jokes on the internet is almost impossible (though smileys do help a bit)

Lycan 01
2010-07-04, 10:01 PM
Cool summer pic. What's Matt's tattoo of, anyway? A dragon or something? I think I see a wing...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-04, 10:28 PM
Don't be, it was my fault for forgetting than showing emotion or non-grammar/language based jokes on the internet is almost impossible (though smileys do help a bit)

Okay then.

Cool summer pic. What's Matt's tattoo of, anyway? A dragon or something? I think I see a wing...

It's a gray smoke spiral (The lower part of it wraps around his upper thigh, incidentally), a gray flame, and a violet wisp of fire off of the gray flame.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-05, 07:45 AM
I like fanservice. (Big grin)

(Shot)

Anyhoo... I hope Serrin DOES tackleglomp a prince. That would be amusing. Also shipfuel.

lesser_minion
2010-07-05, 09:07 AM

Aside from that being a parody, there are different shades of fanservice.

Excessive, blatant, or tasteless fanservice -- for example, "hurr, cold resistance 5" female characters who run into a battle in the Arctic wearing a bikini and high heels -- is generally not a good thing.

Tasteful and understated (or at least somewhat justified) is generally the way to go.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-05, 01:00 PM

The sad thing is, that's true. But then again, why am I sad? It makes me happy.:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-05, 01:46 PM
Okay guys, new comic! Guess what, we're almost done with Elfland! I hope I succeeded at making them likeable.

#55: Ursa Saphrin
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/UrsaSaphrin.png

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-05, 01:49 PM
First! yay new comic!!!

Second: :eek: I am really scared of saphrin right now

Third where the spells Stoneshape, disintigrate and meteor swarm?

fourth: I loved the title :smile:

CWater
2010-07-05, 02:08 PM
:smallbiggrin:LOL Serrin's mom is awesome! So boys, better keep safe the girl whose mom is a epic level elven wizard...or else.:smallamused:

In all seriousness, very good comic. I especially like it how she starts nicely:smallsmile:, moves from there to strict:smallannoyed: and then to outright...threatening:smallfurious:.
...That word really doesn't give her credit.:smallwink:

RdMarquis
2010-07-05, 02:09 PM
The last one looked kind of like Fireball. Anyway, Sapharin's mini-rampage was hilarious. I also loved Lloyd's expression in the last panel. It looks like his eyes were about to bug out of his head. :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-05, 02:18 PM
First! yay new comic!!!

Second: :eek: I am really scared of saphrin right now

fourth: I loved the title :smile:

Stone Shape, Shatter, and Meteor Swarm.

Anyways, good job, Coffee! I think I know what Tinder meant when he said that...
-Xavez

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-05, 02:23 PM
:smallbiggrin:LOL Serrin's mom is awesome! So boys, better keep safe the girl whose mom is a epic level elven wizard...or else.:smallamused:

In all seriousness, very good comic. I especially like it how she starts nicely:smallsmile:, moves from there to strict:smallannoyed: and then to outright...threatening:smallfurious:.
...That word really doesn't give her credit.:smallwink:

Thanks, guys! :smallbiggrin:

Stone Shape, Disintegrate, Meteor Swarm, and then Fireball.

mucat
2010-07-05, 02:24 PM
I love Saphrin. :smallsmile:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-05, 02:48 PM

Serrin is cool too. :smallsmile:
-Xavez

Aaron
2010-07-05, 03:27 PM
Okay guys, new comic! Guess what, we're almost done with Elfland! I hope I succeeded at making them likeable.

Hee hee. I love it! You have succeeded beyond your wildest dreams, Coffee. Elves are awesome! :smallbiggrin::smallsmile:

I love how she was saying, "please protect my daughter." :smallsmile: Then going, "oh, and if you don't, then this will happen." :smallannoyed::smallfurious: *KABOOM*

Asta Kask
2010-07-05, 04:27 PM

And we have a new trope. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MamaBear)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-05, 04:36 PM
Hee hee. I love it! You have succeeded beyond your wildest dreams, Coffee. Elves are awesome! :smallbiggrin::smallsmile:

I love how she was saying, "please protect my daughter." :smallsmile: Then going, "oh, and if you don't, then this will happen." :smallannoyed::smallfurious: *KABOOM*

Thank you!

And we have a new trope.

Got that right. Janine would also qualify.

Also, I'm doing a Let's Play of Mother 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158775) on this site.

Closak
2010-07-05, 04:41 PM
:eek: Saphrin is scary when she's mad.

Wait wait wait, Janine would qualify for Mama Bear?
Is there something i'm missing here?

Lix Lorn
2010-07-05, 04:43 PM
Janine would also qualify.
Janine has kids?

Also: BADASS

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-05, 04:44 PM
Wait wait wait, Janine would qualify for Mama Bear?
Is there something i'm missing here?

Janine has kids?

Also: BADASS

No, Janine does not have kids. However, she is extremely protective towards kids, especially her younger siblings.

Cracklord
2010-07-05, 05:21 PM
Huh.
A very demonstrative method she's picked up there.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-05, 05:25 PM
Huh.
A very demonstrative method she's picked up there.

Hey, whatever works. You can be sure that they'll make sure that she comes home safely. :smalltongue:

Uh...I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but do you like?

Cracklord
2010-07-05, 05:31 PM
Oh yes. :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-06, 02:34 PM
Thank you! I'm almost done with Elfland too. On to Laria!

Oh! I know what each of the gods I've created so far look like!

The Four Elemental Giants: They're personifications of Earth, Water, Fire, and Air. Self-Explanatory.

Isarus and Don: Isarus is an elven wizard/Archmage of indeterminate gender, with jet-black hair that is partially tied off into a side ponytail. Isarus is always seen with hir raven familiar Birch, hir spellbook, and several history tomes. Don is a dwarven bard/Horizon Walker. He has a goatee and a mop of dirty blond hair with a crooked sideways grin. He is shown with several scrolls, a rapier, and a whip.

Fortune, Fate, and Twist: Fortune is depicted as a lively dancing girl, at one point benevolent, at another malicious, always alluring, always flighty. She is never seen without several rare coins and a 20-sided die. Her sister Fate, on the other hand, is grave and serious, with glasses and a stern countenance. She always carries writing quills, scrolls on which prophecies are written, a list of loopholes, and a crystal ball. Twist, Fate and Fortune's adopted son, is a quirky boy who tries to follow Fate's commands but often does the work of Fortune by mistake. He has butterfly wings (Butterfly effect).

Astrid: Astrid has a violet dress (Same color as the cloaks/capes that all her clerics wear), flowing orange hair, and pale blue skin (The color of water). She always has her two draconic Pure Elementals by her side: Chilmado, the Pure Ice Elemental to her left, and Salblaze, the Fire Pure Elemental to her right. Chilmado's body is pure ice, while Salblaze's body (if it has one) is always obscured in its rolling flames.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 02:37 PM
Coffee have you considered running a game in this setting? It is awesome, and it shows the great care you have put in this world building.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-06, 02:41 PM
Coffee have you considered running a game in this setting? It is awesome, and it shows the great care you have put in this world building.

Thanks. :smallredface: But I've barely even scratched the surface. I've got the other countries, major goods produced, climates, mythologies, histories, other deities, the Arcana System, Divine Diamonds, the Old Gods (Long dead), and even more...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 02:45 PM
Thanks. :smallredface: But I've barely even scratched the surface. I've got the other countries, major goods produced, climates, mythologies, histories, other deities, the Arcana System, Divine Diamonds, the Old Gods (Long dead), and even more...

wow.............. I am speechless,

Allan Surgite
2010-07-06, 02:48 PM
I await the day when all of the words of god that have been missed by mortals such as I are aligned and composed in the Coffee Compedium. You may commence the groaning :P

I assume Isarus, Don and Astrid are gods that have been elevated to their position by humans (empowered by the belief of their followers), while Twist is the opposite: a human elevated to godhood by gods? And as for the Four Elemental Giants: I assume Water's physical form is composed more of ice then of water? On land, at least :smalltongue: Just asking some things that occurred to me while reading.

-edit-
On the other hand, I assume that Fire/Water/Wind kind of have the power of magic to make up their physical forms.

Magiccccccc.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-06, 02:54 PM
wow.............. I am speechless,

Eh, thanks, though it could be better. There are still a lot of plot holes and I don't know DnD that well, so I'm doing a lot of houseruling. :smallredface:

I need to make an Orcish god. All I know right now is that he's probably a ranger and uses a bow.

I await the day when all of the words of god that have been missed by mortals such as I are aligned and composed in the Coffee Compedium. You may commence the groaning :P

I assume Isarus, Don and Astrid are gods that have been elevated to their position by humans (empowered by the belief of their followers), while Twist is the opposite: a human elevated to godhood by gods? And as for the Four Elemental Giants: I assume Water's physical form is composed more of ice then of water? On land, at least :smalltongue: Just asking some things that occurred to me while reading.

Uh...I'll try. The only holy texts that I have even begun to think of (I am not even going to TRY to make an equivalent to the Bible or Torah or Koran or any major holy text) are those belonging to Astrid.

Isarus and Don were raised to godhood by humans, they were the History Keepers. Don collected history through his travels and Isarus put it all together. Isarus also defined many of the original discoveries of the Arcana System. (Basically Isarus was like Newton). Their domains are Knowledge, Magic, and Travel; almost every cleric of Isarus and Don takes the Knowledge Domain and a cleric needs to have the Knowledge Domain to rise into the upper ranks.

Astrid, on the other hand, was always a deity. Twist...I'm not sure yet. :smalltongue:

Water? Water is a god. Gods don't need to worry about that stuff. (Speaking of which, I need another name for the Four Elemental gods...On to my Latin books! :smallbiggrin:)

Asta Kask
2010-07-06, 03:05 PM
Eh, thanks, though it could be better. There are still a lot of plot holes and I don't know DnD that well, so I'm doing a lot of houseruling. :smallredface:

That is not bad. That is good.

Uh...I'll try. The only holy texts that I have even begun to think of (I am not even going to TRY to make an equivalent to the Bible or Torah or Koran or any major holy text) are those belonging to Astrid.

C'mon. You can write a 1000 pages of religiosity. It will only take 20 years or so...

Allan Surgite
2010-07-06, 03:06 PM
Aha, I joke. And as for the bracketed, quite understandable.

You certainly seem to have Isarus/Don's, uh, organisation planned out rather well; I assume the two serve the purpose of making sure yesterday comes before tomorrow, or something of the sort?

As for the Giants, I had a similar concept in one of my early worldbuilding attempts; I believe I referred to them as the Celestriad, as Earth was destroyed and made into the planet that the story took place on. Never really did anything with it, though :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-06, 03:09 PM
C'mon. You can write a 1000 pages of religiosity. It will only take 20 years or so...

I'm not doing it. I have better things to do with those 20 years. Like college. And veterinary school. And the Aequar comics. You want to do it, feel free.

...I might post something on the Homebrew, but I need to work out the kinks first, and post the mythologies. These are the major ones:

THINK OF NAMES FOR THE EASTERN AND WESTERN CONTINENTS!!!

Gods for the Eastern Continent.

Pin down the geography and make it exact, detailed, and specific; it's still a big broad, generalized, and vague.

You certainly seem to have Isarus/Don's, uh, organisation planned out rather well; I assume the two serve the purpose of making sure yesterday comes before tomorrow, or something of the sort?:

Actually, Isarus and Don were based on a dream I had. I was Isarus, and Don was my apprentice, and we were the "History Keepers" (Think Discworld's History Monks). Don accidentally destroyed a lot of the recorded history, and so I had him go back in time and re-record the history (Like, for example, rerecord the events of a major battle), then return to me so I could put the history back in order. Then he accidentally jumped through time but not through location, ended up in a restricted area, and got arrested, so I had to bail him out. Then I woke up, thought about it, and went, "AH-HA! I've got a new idea for two gods!"

The funny thing is that now I have a plot for the Modern-day Aequar comic too. :smalleek:

Allan Surgite
2010-07-06, 03:16 PM
The History Monks were my first thought, actually. I don't normally draw references between works unless I'm 100% sure that the other participant in the conversation is familiar with the work in question, so I kept re-typing that paragraph trying to find an alternate way to phrase it; probably failed in that task :smallbiggrin:

And by "destroyed," I assume you mean "caused to never happen?" Rather interesting gods, I think; do they still perform their duties as deities, or have they wound down a lot now? Sorry for all the questions, just a bit curious :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-06, 03:20 PM
The History Monks were my first thought, actually. I don't normally draw references between works unless I'm 100% sure that the other participant in the conversation is familiar with the work in question, so I kept re-typing that paragraph trying to find an alternate way to phrase it; probably failed in that task :smallbiggrin:

And by "destroyed," I assume you mean "caused to never happen?" Rather interesting gods, I think; do they still perform their duties as deities, or have they wound down a lot now? Sorry for all the questions, just a bit curious :smalltongue:

It's okay. :smalltongue:

And no, he destroyed the records. Just think of it as the largest collaborative archive ever, stretching back millenia.

Also, Tiamat is a god. But there's no Bahamut, she's not evil, and she only has four heads. She was raised to godhood because she had four heads: a blue dragon, a red dragon, a brass dragon, and a gold dragon.

...They don't like to talk about that night.

Draconi Redfir
2010-07-06, 05:03 PM
I need another name for the Four Elemental gods...On to my Latin books! :smallbiggrin:)

if you dont mind the usual clesheness: Aqua, Pyro, Geo, and Gale.

edit: im a preity good writer, if you need gods made you could just let me know what your hopeing for (what they rule over, were their lands are, what domains they have, ETC) and i could help you out.

Lycan 01
2010-07-06, 05:07 PM
No love for Cthulhu? :smalltongue:

Aw, too bad the Orc god is a Ranger and not a Bard, otherwise I'd nominate my old DnD character Trog, who was quite epic for a level 1 Bard. He once convinced a statue it didn't exist. :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-07, 01:38 PM
No love for Cthulhu? :smalltongue:

Yes love for Cthulhu! We need a cthulhu smiley! :cthulhu:
-Xavez

Lord Loss
2010-07-07, 04:13 PM
Well, that should dissuade Matt from being mean to Serrin. You've planned out quite alot for this comic...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-07, 05:19 PM
Thanks, guys!

Okay, new update time! The first panel had a lot of things that I needed to draw, so this comic took a while for me to do, and I don't have much time today. Enjoy!

#56: But Seriously, They're Safe
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/ButSeriouslyTheyreSafe.png

HypoSoc
2010-07-07, 05:24 PM
Good, the best defense against troped-doom is a lampshade shield.

And seriously, how does she not know this? Her dad's an epic bard!

Lix Lorn
2010-07-07, 05:42 PM
...XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Best moment EVER.
(Gives Coffee a medal)

(Also: (Helps HypnoSoc escape washing machine))

Zanaril
2010-07-07, 05:53 PM
Her home might be safe, but after #55 I'm expecting something to happen to Serrin to get the males seriously worrying about those threats.

Closak
2010-07-07, 06:00 PM
Oh Serrin :smallsigh:
Someone has a poor Wisdom score, she can be best buddies with Matt then.

That's right guys, make her shut up before she dooms you all.

In other news, the evil thoughts have struck again.
BURN ORPHANS BURN!
Not telling what it's about though.

mucat
2010-07-07, 06:48 PM

Well, you notice Saphrin didn't join in the panicked tackle at the end. Maybe it's the rational Int-based casters vs. the trope-aware Cha-based ones.

(Then again, Saphrin was frowning in panel 3, and making parentheses-eyes in panel 4...but that might have been because in panel 3 Serrin was sounding like she might recklessly seek out excitement, and in panel 4 Luic was racing past like a madman.)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-07, 08:34 PM

Eh, 20th level. Just shy of epic. :smalltongue:

Her home might be safe, but after #55 I'm expecting something to happen to Serrin to get the males seriously worrying about those threats.

Foreshadowing? Or because Matt was among the three? Or both?

In other news, the evil thoughts have struck again.

Can I smack them out of you?

Well, you notice Saphrin didn't join in the panicked tackle at the end. Maybe it's the rational Int-based casters vs. the trope-aware Cha-based ones.

That may be, but I wouldn't exactly call Serrin and Saphrin "Rational" or "Completely sane". :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-07-07, 08:43 PM
Orcish diety? Is he solely worshiped by orcs, or is he part of the pantheon for everyone and the orcs just worship him more then everyone else.

Lycan 01
2010-07-07, 10:22 PM
Excellent update. :smallbiggrin:

I'm now worried about what's going to happen to the family, though. :smallfrown:

Dvandemon
2010-07-07, 10:42 PM
Didyouknowyourcomicwasthispopular?Ididn'tknowitwas thispopular,itevenhasaTVtropespage;Oh,andanti-HEROEShasapagetoo:smallbiggrin:

RdMarquis
2010-07-08, 01:36 AM
Thanks, guys!

Okay, new update time! The first panel had a lot of things that I needed to draw, so this comic took a while for me to do, and I don't have much time today. Enjoy!

Well, thanks for all your hard work. This was very funny. Serrin better get a move on before her dad and brother skip town. I think a few fantasy RPGs do feature hometowns that escape being wrecked, though. For example, the first Lunar game.

Tira-chan
2010-07-08, 05:06 AM
Your comic is really brilliant. I love the characters, and all the mythology you've done. I can't wait to read more.

John Cribati
2010-07-08, 05:22 AM
Leaping Lucrid strikes again! :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-08, 05:55 AM
Orcish diety? Is he solely worshiped by orcs, or is he part of the pantheon for everyone and the orcs just worship him more then everyone else.

I'm still working out the kinks. I do now know that he's named Rockwell though.

I'm now worried about what's going to happen to the family, though.

See the title. The town is safe. Saphrin, Lucrid, and Luic are safe.

Didyouknowyourcomicwasthispopular?Ididn'tknowitwas thispopular,itevenhasaTVtropespage;Oh,andanti-HEROEShasapagetoo

Yeah. I knew. :smallbiggrin:

Your comic is really brilliant. I love the characters, and all the mythology you've done. I can't wait to read more.

Thank you! I can't wait for you to read more! :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-08, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it when characters know that they are in a story. It's worse than breaking the fourth wall, because at least the fourth wall is broken relatively infrequently (that's recognizing that they are in a comic with different episodes). The comic is still okay, I just don't find the jokes about protagonists funny. No offense to you though Coffee. I've seen this elsewhere as well, and you at least can make a passable joke out of them (in my humble opinion).
Still reading though,
Xavez

Draconi Redfir
2010-07-08, 11:50 AM
its possible they DONT know they are in a story. i know that if i were living in a fantasy world, and had read all the fiction/fact stories about other adventurers doing adventurey things, i would try to refrain from saying "how could things get any worse?"

i do not blame you if that post made no sense. gog that was awful

Lix Lorn
2010-07-08, 12:35 PM
its possible they DONT know they are in a story. i know that if i were living in a fantasy world, and had read all the fiction/fact stories about other adventurers doing adventurey things, i would try to refrain from saying "how could things get any worse?"
He's right.

But personally, I like the fourth wall. As in, I enjoy breaking it. Regularly. In fact, it's very rarely intact.

ShinyDelusion
2010-07-08, 03:16 PM
Sheesh, Serrin, what next? Lemme guess: "There's no such thing as a jinx."

Family: NOOOOOO!

Anyway, as for my actual opinion of this update... It was funny, but it's a shame that you put all that work into the first panel of a comic that doesn't really take us anywhere. If the hometown really isn't doomed, then the whole point of that comic was just one joke that I think you could've snuck into a more plot-oriented comic anyway. Please remember that this is one of very few complaints I've ever made here; I still think the comic in general is as good as I've said before, I just consider this latest update pointless-filler-y and hope that the next updates will feel more relevant.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-08, 03:59 PM
Sheesh, Serrin, what next? Lemme guess: "There's no such thing as a jinx."

Family: NOOOOOO!

Anyway, as for my actual opinion of this update... It was funny, but it's a shame that you put all that work into the first panel of a comic that doesn't really take us anywhere. If the hometown really isn't doomed, then the whole point of that comic was just one joke that I think you could've snuck into a more plot-oriented comic anyway. Please remember that this is one of very few complaints I've ever made here; I still think the comic in general is as good as I've said before, I just consider this latest update pointless-filler-y and hope that the next updates will feel more relevant.

No, the family's just saying their good-byes. You'll see the wagon and the halfing and dwarf for the next several comics. Thank you for the criticism though. Sorry you don't like it, Darklord.

Aaron
2010-07-09, 12:17 AM
I like this new update. It's a great way to wrap up the Elf story arc. Great job Coffee. The Fourth Wall will never be the same again. :smallbiggrin:

Leaping Lucrid strikes again! :smallbiggrin:

A high dexterity score can help in times like that. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-07-09, 04:02 AM
Leaping Lucrid. XD This is a... uh...
What's the trope for an unreasonably popular minor character?

RdMarquis
2010-07-09, 04:23 AM
Ensemble Darkhorse. Unless that part about the minor character becoming a protagonist is required.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-09, 04:27 AM
Ahhhyeah. I knew that. Thanks. XD

Cracklord
2010-07-09, 06:02 AM
I'm still working out the kinks. I do now know that he's named Rockwell though.

That is a start, but you need to expand further.
Gods reflect cultures (unless we have it the wrong way around), and so Rockwell should reflect the ideals of the orcish people. Now if you don't want to give them a pantheon, that already tells you a lot. They respect, or even idealize individualistic behavior. They probably value personal happiness over the good of the community.
Why only one? Do they think he's the only god, or just the only god worth worshiping?
So do the orcs live in semi-organized, tribal, family based structures? A loose collection of raiders and nomads? A despotic state based upon the teachings of Ayn Rand (god I hope not)?
He's a ranger. So probably a wild, free sort of god, who lives in harmony with nature.
Again, tells us a lot. It reflects a chaotic, hard lifestyle, and a dangerous one. Also, a sort of 'survival of the fittest mentality', red tooth and claw. Or alternately, a friend to the animals, healer of the sick, who catches little baby birds and puts them back in their nests. Or even complete indifference, like the cold, uncaring ocean.
Or maybe it's a matter of perspective. Mortals can't understand the gods, that's how it's designed.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-09, 06:11 AM
That is a start, but you need to expand further.
Gods reflect cultures (unless we have it the wrong way around), and so Rockwell should reflect the ideals of the orcish people. Now if you don't want to give them a pantheon, that already tells you a lot. They respect, or even idealize individualistic behavior. They probably value personal happiness over the good of the community.
Why only one? Do they think he's the only god, or just the only god worth worshiping?
So do the orcs live in semi-organized, tribal, family based structures? A loose collection of raiders and nomads? A despotic state based upon the teachings of Ayn Rand (god I hope not)?
He's a ranger. So probably a wild, free sort of god, who lives in harmony with nature.
Again, tells us a lot. It reflects a chaotic, hard lifestyle, and a dangerous one. Also, a sort of 'survival of the fittest mentality', red tooth and claw. Or alternately, a friend to the animals, healer of the sick, who catches little baby birds and puts them back in their nests. Or even complete indifference, like the cold, uncaring ocean.
Or maybe it's a matter of perspective. Mortals can't understand the gods, that's how it's designed.

Heh, thanks.

Most of the orcs, goblins, and drow live in the Alavaan plains, south of Tobeem, west of Kago, and east of Laria. They live in small, occasionally semi-nomadic communities that are internally organized but have very little external organization. The communities closer to Kago, Tobeem, and Laria do conduct some trade with these countries.

Cracklord
2010-07-09, 06:16 AM
That's just a lot of geography, Coffee. It doesn't really tell you much about them.
What is their view on women? Do they have gender roles? What sort of relationships do they have? How long do they live?
What do they value? How advanced is their medical work? How advanced is their medicine? Do they herd animals, or is it completely subsistence off the land based? What do they do in the event of a drought?
Do they keep history? Are they an oral tradition or a literary one? How do they deal with inter-clan/tribe politics?

Yeah, unnecessary for a webcomic, but the bare minimum for a culture. And yes, that is why I rarely start anything that's not a drabble anymore.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-09, 04:42 PM
Ugh, the fan in my laptop broke. I won't be able to update tonight. I'm sorry.

HypoSoc
2010-07-09, 04:44 PM
Cue screaming.

Closak
2010-07-09, 04:45 PM
...AHHHHHHHH!!!

Freaking fan :smallmad:
Why do those things always have to break at the worst possible time?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-09, 05:56 PM
...AHHHHHHHH!!!

Because this is me we're talking about.

The good news is that I'm (Hopefully) going to get the fan fixed tomorrow morning, which means that, hopefully, I'll post the update Saturday afternoon.

Kumo
2010-07-09, 06:59 PM
...AHHHHHHHH!!!

Because this is Murphy's Law.

some jokes should never see the light of day... XD

Silverraptor
2010-07-10, 02:10 AM
Curse that laptop fan for deciding to break on us!:smallmad:

Ninjaman
2010-07-10, 02:24 AM
Nice, 2 new sinse last. Also: Dunnh dunnn DUUUNNNHHHH!!!!!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-10, 04:14 PM
Okay, I'm using my dad's computer right now. Here's how it stands:

IF I'M LUCKY: Something got stuck in the fan or a screw came loose or something, they'll be able to fix it easily, and I'll have my computer back by tomorrow or Monday.

IF I'M UNLUCKY: They have to order a new part and I won't get the computer fixed until Saturday evening. Next week.

IF MURPHY'S LAW APPLIES TO MY LIFE YET AGAIN: THAT won't work, I'll have to get a new computer, and I won't be able to update for about a week and a half or even 2 weeks.

mucat
2010-07-10, 04:42 PM
Hi Coffee.

I hope it turns out easy for you to get everything back in commission. Don't feel bad about posting delays, though. Your loyal fans love the comic, but we want it to be something you have fun doing, not an additional hassle when you're already busy trying to fix things.

Good luck! :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-10, 04:48 PM
Hi Coffee.

I hope it turns out easy for you to get everything back in commission. Don't feel bad about posting delays, though. Your loyal fans love the comic, but we want it to be something you have fun doing, not an additional hassle when you're already busy trying to fix things.

Good luck! :smallsmile:

Thanks. I'm just really upset because I promised you guys, and I want to get in as many updates as possible before school starts again, because update frequency is going to collapse then; I really want to at least start the Messenger Arc before school starts...

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 10:59 PM
Coffee, I think you should take down the part about crack pairings in the first post. Both of the threads got closed and I don't want the same thing to happen to your comic.

CWater
2010-07-11, 04:08 AM
Hoah, back from my vacation!:smallsmile:

Oh, that's no fun,:smallfrown: hope it is not too hard to repair.
Hmh, they don't make these machines as good as they used to:smallsigh:

Anyway, :smallsmile: there seems to be one new update since my departure..

Heh, nice one!:smalltongue: I'm actually in favor of strips that focus only on one or two of the main characters. Plot advancement is of course a good thing, but it is through character interction that you really get to know the characters, #53 is a very good example by the way.

Asta Kask
2010-07-11, 04:35 AM
Thanks. I'm just really upset because I promised you guys, and I want to get in as many updates as possible before school starts again, because update frequency is going to collapse then; I really want to at least start the Messenger Arc before school starts...

Coffee, relax. Take a deep breath. No one will hunt you down and torture you to get more comics. We're all your friends.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 06:55 AM
Heh, nice one!:smalltongue: I'm actually in favor of strips that focus only on one or two of the main characters. Plot advancement is of course a good thing, but it is through character interction that you really get to know the characters, #53 is a very good example by the way.

Thank you! And I hope you had a fun time.

Coffee, relax. Take a deep breath. No one will hunt you down and torture you to get more comics. We're all your friends.

Yeah, but I still feel bad. How about this? Every day that I don't get my computer back, I'll post a piece of trivia about Murphy's Law or the world of Aequar.

Kumo
2010-07-11, 09:20 AM

We are?! :smalleek: Bu- whu.... what am i supposed to do with these hot pokers?!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 10:31 AM
Okay guys, here's the first piece of trivia:

You know the tattoos that Matt has? Everyone who graduates from a guild in Tobeem has a tattoo. They make it easier for people who hire mercenaries to figure out a person's class and specialties. For example, a cleric would have the holy symbol of their god tattooed somewhere on their body, as well as the two domains that they took. A wizard would have an open spellbook. If there wizard is specialized, the specialized school appears on the left pages of the textbook, the two banned schools on the right (With the red circle with a slash mark through it). Abjuration is symbolized by a wall, conjuration by a sword being created, divination by a crystal ball, evocation by an explosion, illusion by a cloud, necromancy by a skull, enchantment by the hypnotic swirly eyes, and transmutation by an owlbear. There are many others, and they denote prestige classes as well.

Lord Raziere
2010-07-11, 01:54 PM

well maybe except me, I might send my robots after you to kidnap for you for my mad scientist plan to turn everything into a comic by blasting a reality ray through your brain and into a satellite dish than will spread the ray thing across the world, but I first gotta deal with that pesky "physics" problem, you know the part where rays are completely unscientific and all that, I might have to invent a reality ray to fix that so I can invent a reality ray, then I might try. It might be more practical to just get back to my worldbuilding and comic-making, but I'm not sure.

[/end sarcasm]

CWater
2010-07-11, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but I still feel bad. How about this? Every day that I don't get my computer back, I'll post a piece of trivia about Murphy's Law or the world of Aequar.

I approve of this arrangement.:smallamused:

I love hearing/discussing about fantasy worlds!:smallbiggrin:

Okay guys, here's the first piece of trivia:

You know the tattoos that Matt has? Everyone who graduates from a guild in Tobeem has a tattoo. They make it easier for people who hire mercenaries to figure out a person's class and specialties. For example, a cleric would have the holy symbol of their god tattooed somewhere on their body, as well as the two domains that they took. A wizard would have an open spellbook. If there wizard is specialized, the specialized school appears on the left pages of the textbook, the two banned schools on the right (With the red circle with a slash mark through it). Abjuration is symbolized by a wall, conjuration by a sword being created, divination by a crystal ball, evocation by an explosion, illusion by a cloud, necromancy by a skull, enchantment by the hypnotic swirly eyes, and transmutation by an owlbear. There are many others, and they denote prestige classes as well.

Hmm...interesting.. How big is the tattoo, can you choose it?:smalltongue: I think it might be most practical to place it on your arm, it would be easy to show without having to resort to stripping...though in rogues' case it is understandable to hide it, since it is a class that is not always wise to advertise.
Does Tobeem have monks by the way? If so, what is their symbol?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 03:49 PM
I approve of this arrangement.:smallamused:

I love hearing/discussing about fantasy worlds!:smallbiggrin:

Hmm...interesting.. How big is the tattoo, can you choose it?:smalltongue: I think it might be most practical to place it on your arm, it would be easy to show without having to resort to stripping...though in rogues' case it is understandable to hide it, since it is a class that is not always wise to advertise.
Does Tobeem have monks by the way? If so, what is their symbol?

The tattoos are of a standard type, and can be any size and have to be placed somewhere on the body that the tattooee wouldn't mind displaying to a potential employer upon request. The monks have either a fist or quarterstaff with their deity's holy symbol superinscribed over it.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-11, 04:16 PM

Don't you have another computer?
-Xavez

HypoSoc
2010-07-11, 04:17 PM
Also, couldn't you work on it 5 minutes at a time?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 04:25 PM
Don't you have another computer?
-Xavez

No, not one with Inkscape. Plus all of my character models and stuff are on there.

Zanaril
2010-07-11, 05:14 PM
That really sucks. :smallfrown: So is your computer going to need a new fan altogether? If you haven't already, maybe you should back up your files onto a USB or something, just in case.

Anyway, I've got some fan art for you:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/Zanaril/OOTSart/radic.png

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 05:16 PM
Eeee! I love it! Thanks, Zanaril!

And yeah, I need a new USB to put it all on.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-11, 05:23 PM
The tattoos are of a standard type, and can be any size and have to be placed somewhere on the body that the tattooee wouldn't mind displaying to a potential employer upon request. The monks have either a fist or quarterstaff with their deity's holy symbol superinscribed over it.
HELLYEAHS
I HAVE AN EXCUSE
(Goes to live there)

;P
Sad to hear about your computer, but it ent your fault, we're with you, hug hug hug and all! =^.^=

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-11, 05:32 PM
Anyway, I've got some fan art for you:

{snip}

I hate it.

It makes me too jealous of your skills.

HELLYEAHS
I HAVE AN EXCUSE

...I totally thought of that when I read it.

Great minds think alike or disturbed minds think alike? :smallconfused:

Zanaril
2010-07-11, 05:36 PM
Eeee! I love it! Thanks, Zanaril!
You're welcome. :smallredface:

HELLYEAHS
I HAVE AN EXCUSE
(Goes to live there)

I suppose it depends what you're getting employed as....

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-11, 06:01 PM
HELLYEAHS
I HAVE AN EXCUSE
(Goes to live there)

That makes two of us.:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 06:02 PM
That makes two of us.:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

I hate it.

It makes me too jealous of your skills.

...I totally thought of that when I read it.

HELLYEAHS
I HAVE AN EXCUSE
(Goes to live there)

;P
Sad to hear about your computer, but it ent your fault, we're with you, hug hug hug and all! =^.^=

What have I done? :smalleek:

Closak
2010-07-11, 06:19 PM
Yes Coffee, what have you done?

Kumo
2010-07-11, 06:42 PM
What have I done? :smalleek:

You just inspired a bunch of perverts to go live in a fictional place where you show off tattoos displaying how good/sucky you are in a particular fictional field of work. You can't see it but i'm mentally slapping you across the face.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 06:45 PM
You just inspired a bunch of perverts to go live in a fictional place where you show off tattoos displaying how good/sucky you are in a particular fictional field of work. You can't see it but i'm mentally slapping you across the face.

No, it's...

If you look at Matt's tattoos, you'll see a gray spiral of smoke, a gray flame, and a violet wisp of fire. The gray smoke and flame signifies that he's a graduate of the Rogue's guild in Tobeem. The violet wisp signifies that he has taken some courses in the Assassin's Guild, although he does not have any levels in Assassin.

Please remember to stay on topic and appropriate.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-11, 06:51 PM

To be perfectly fair, I never wanted to move there. It's just that the idea of people abusing it crossed my mind. :smalltongue:

RdMarquis
2010-07-11, 06:57 PM
If you look at Matt's tattoos, you'll see a gray spiral of smoke, a gray flame, and a violet wisp of fire. The gray smoke and flame signifies that he's a graduate of the Rogue's guild in Tobeem. The violet wisp signifies that he has taken some courses in the Assassin's Guild, although he does not have any levels in Assassin.

That's pretty cool. A mysterious tattoo is better than a diploma, any day. Are class alignments any different in Aequar? For example, do you still have to be evil to take levels in Assassin?

Lix Lorn
2010-07-11, 07:00 PM
There's a difference? :smallconfused:

I'd be somewhere between Janine and Fanservice girl.
But a Sorceress. Or Wilder.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-11, 07:01 PM
That's pretty cool. A mysterious tattoo is better than a diploma, any day. Are class alignments any different in Aequar? For example, do you still have to be evil to take levels in Assassin?

Like in Discworld, the graduation requirement to be a full-fledged assassin requires that the student kill a designated target.

Unlike Discworld, they actually have to go through with it.

But a Sorceress. Or Wilder.

There are no psionics in Aequar.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-11, 07:10 PM
No psionics? Interesting...
Swordmage then. Yay for homebrew. XD

Kumo
2010-07-11, 08:50 PM
Like in Discworld, the graduation requirement to be a full-fledged assassin requires that the student kill a designated target.

Unlike Discworld, they actually have to go through with it.

There are no psionics in Aequar.

If it's like the DND version you have to kill a person for no reason except to complete the initiation

Lycan 01
2010-07-12, 01:56 AM
What would the Bard symbol be? Or a Ranger?

Personally, I see myself as a Bard, but the DnD character thing everyone likes said I was a Level 3 Human, with 2 levels in Ranger and 1 in Cleric. And I'm Lawful Good, but I don't need a test to tell me that. I mean sheesh, I'm a walking Motivational Speaker. :smallbiggrin:

Next time I take a survey that asks occupation, I'm putting Bard. Because that's basically what I am - an aloof scholar who passes his time by telling stories and entertaining people, and who can convince random strangers to do things random things like sit down, play DnD, and come back for more. In fact, I'm going to go tweak my profile real quick. :smalltongue:

Back on topic, I do have a valid point to all this. Coffee, in your world, how are Bards made? Do they actually have to go to an academy, or can they be self-taught? Do they have to play an instrument, or can they be a poet or storyteller? :smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-12, 02:40 PM
What would the Bard symbol be? Or a Ranger?

Personally, I see myself as a Bard, but the DnD character thing everyone likes said I was a Level 3 Human, with 2 levels in Ranger and 1 in Cleric. And I'm Lawful Good, but I don't need a test to tell me that. I mean sheesh, I'm a walking Motivational Speaker. :smallbiggrin:

Next time I take a survey that asks occupation, I'm putting Bard. Because that's basically what I am - an aloof scholar who passes his time by telling stories and entertaining people, and who can convince random strangers to do things random things like sit down, play DnD, and come back for more. In fact, I'm going to go tweak my profile real quick. :smalltongue:

Back on topic, I do have a valid point to all this. Coffee, in your world, how are Bards made? Do they actually have to go to an academy, or can they be self-taught? Do they have to play an instrument, or can they be a poet or storyteller? :smallconfused:

Wizards gain their power by studying Arcana and learning to manipulate it. Divine spellcasters gain their power by making the required oaths and such.

Sorcerers and bards are innately able to manipulate the arcana that is present in every person and the environment. Elves and half-elves are generally more adept at this than others, as are other magical creatures. However, without proper training, sorcerers and bards aren't able to focus their magic well. This often results in mishaps of the explodey kind. Bards need an instrument to channel and focus their arcana, as they are less adept at innately manipulating it than sorcerers are.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-12, 05:09 PM
Sorry for the double post, but here's where it stands:

My computer was so dusty that it's a miracle that only the fan broke. They ordered a replacement part today; it MAY get in by Wednesday. Odds are I'll have the computer back Wednesday evening or more likely Thursday.

Trivia piece: Remember what I said about music fitting the places and stuff? This is the elven lands. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKndzmu__nc)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-12, 05:14 PM
My computer was so dusty that it's a miracle that only the fan broke. They ordered a replacement part today; it MAY get in by Wednesday. Odds are I'll have the computer back Wednesday evening or more likely Thursday.

You should prefaced that with GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Trivia piece: Remember what I said about music fitting the places and stuff? This is the elven lands. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKndzmu__nc)

Coffee, I am disappoint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8zw8rrUhM). :smalltongue: Seriously though it's actually an amazing choice. Yay Pokemon. But not Winona... she ended my Nuzlocke run single-handedly.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-13, 10:35 AM
Coffee, I am disappoint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8zw8rrUhM). :smalltongue: Seriously though it's actually an amazing choice. Yay Pokemon. But not Winona... she ended my Nuzlocke run single-handedly.

I can't get the sound on my dad's computer. :smalltongue: But thanks. Yeah, it just seemed to fit well.

And guess what? I FINALLY GOT THE NAMES FOR THE CONTINENTS! :smallbiggrin:

The continent which Lloyd and Co are on now is named Nordica. To the south is a large chain of islands, or several large chains of islands, ranging in size from little coral atolls to about 3/4 the size of Australia. These islands are collectively known as the Southern Islands. To the east of Nordica is an extremely large continent known as Orrent. Hanging off southern Orrent, connected by a thin isthmus, is a small continent called Alorca.

Asta Kask
2010-07-13, 12:51 PM

Young lady, I think you need to clean your room more often. Like, ever.

Zanaril
2010-07-13, 12:54 PM

Shoving everything under the rug doesn't get rid of the dust. :smalltongue:

Also you end up tripping over the lumps in the rug.

Do you have a map for all this yet? :smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-13, 01:00 PM

I just cleaned my room today. :smallannoyed: I work while sitting on my bed; that would explain a lot.

Shoving everything under the rug doesn't get rid of the dust. :smalltongue:

Also you end up tripping over the lumps in the rug.

Do you have a map for all this yet? :smallconfused:

In my head; it's still very generalized but coming together.

Lord Loss
2010-07-14, 09:57 AM
First, comes the really awesome fanart. Next thing you know, there'll be a ''what Murphy's law character are you quiz..''. And then T-Shirts. And then Fancomics basing themselves off this Fancomic! An then an Anime! And then a live action movie!...