PDA

View Full Version : [Saga] Soldier/Elite Trooper Built

Bharg
2010-06-08, 02:32 PM
I am currently playing a ex-ganger 7th level Soldier named "Talon" Navar in our Star Wars Sage Edition game, but I am not sure what levels and feats I should take next. This is what I have originally planned:

Lvl. 1 Armored Defense, Point Blank Shot, Martial Arts I
Lvl. 2 Weapon Focus (Rifles)
Lvl. 3 Gun Club, Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Weapons)
Lvl. 4 Charging Fire
Lvl. 5 Weapon Specialization (Rifles)
Lvl. 6 Precise Shot, Double Attack (Rifles)
Lvl. 7 Devastating Attack (Rifles)

Lvl. 8 Sniper

Lvl. 9 Delay damage, Greater Weapon Focus (Rifles), Burst Fire
Lvl. 10 Dmg Reduction +1
Lvl. 11 Controlled Burst
Lvl. 12 Dmg Reduction +2, Triple Attack (Rifles)

Now I am not sure if I should take the 8th level of the Soldier class and the Sniper feat or if I should just switch level 8 and 9, take the Elite Trooper level right away and exchange Sniper as a bonus feat with something else like Triple Crit or something like that.
What do you suggest?

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 07:11 AM
Gun Club is one of the few truly terrible talents in Star Wars Saga. Spend the (cheap) amount of credits to use the rules from Scum and Villainy to incorporate a club into your rifle.

Might as well grab Penetrating Attack with that freed up talent slot. :D

Multiattack Proficiency > Controlled Burst since you're investing in double and triple attack.

Wouldn't bother with Charging Fire or Burst Fire unless you drop the multiple attacks. Triple Crit isn't a bad investment once you start going multiple attack route. Seriously consider Improved Damage Threshold or Improved Defenses as well. Take the level of Elite Trooper first, you're not losing anything notable for it as I freed up several feat slots for you. Wait on getting Sniper however you rearrange your feats if possible, as Sniper's value is dependent on the campaign style ran.

Bharg
2010-06-12, 07:25 AM
Oooh, thanks.

Hm, yes, I already considered dropping Gun Club, but what Soldier Talents would you suggest? Right now my character is pretty dexterous (+4 and I want to improve here) and not using armor at all. Taking Improved amor defensive might be an option, but is it actually worth it, using armor that is?
Would also need to spend talents on armor and maybe have to take Heavy armor proficiency...

Dropping burst fire would mean that I could also drop Heavy Weapon Proficiency...

Are there people actually picking multittack rifles 5 times?

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 07:30 AM
Oooh, thanks.

Hm, yes, I already considered dropping Gun Club, but what Soldier Talents would you suggest?

No problem! As I said, I would take Penetrating Attack to go with your Devastating Attack. Devastating alone is not enough to ensure that you'll bring everyone down the condition track, while both will take out most things.

Are there people actually picking multittack rifles 5 times?

I would only take it two or three times and then, based on where your performance is weakest, either go for GWF->Greater Devastating & Greater Penetrating, or grab Indomitable (soldier talent that Elite Trooper can grab) and start scouring books for other soldier talents the ET can get.

Bharg
2010-06-12, 07:40 AM
What about the Armor?
Does a built including Burst Fire and Multiple Attacks not work?

I actually wanted to be kind of agile while Multiple Attacks require me to stand still all the time.

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 07:57 AM
What about the Armor?
Does a built including Burst Fire and Multiple Attacks not work?

I actually wanted to be kind of agile while Multiple Attacks require me to stand still all the time.

Your build as it is, minus Gun Club, works fine. (I would still ditch Charging Fire though.) Saga is nice enough that you don't have to overspecialize. I would ditch Double and Triple Attack entirely though.

FEATS
Bantha Herder from Galaxy at War is really nice from a fun standpoint and can be v. useful for a tactically oriented party.

Dive for Cover, another tactically oriented feat. Requires the Jump skill though.

Burst of Speed from Scum and Villainy is great for moving around when you really gotta go - use it to take cover, then recover the step on the condition track.

Running Attack (Core Rulebook) + Fleet-footed from Scum and Villainy are a great combination.

Accelerated Strike from KotOR is okay if you disregard the advice about not taking Double and Triple Attack. Maybe. (Lets you move and full attack in the same round, once an encounter.)

Mandalorian Training from KotOR makes Charging Fire decent.

Artillery Shot from Clone Wars is good w/ Autofire for your AoE options. And pairs even better with Flood of Fire from the same.

Grand Army of the Republic Training is good only if you start investing heavily in your armor talents, but it's there as an option.

Bharg
2010-06-12, 08:24 AM
Making multiple burst attacks is not possible, right? :\
Even with only auto weapons?

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 08:26 AM
Making multiple burst attacks is not possible, right? :\
Even with only auto weapons?

it is a modification to the attack - it does not actually specify an attack action. Therefore, I would allow it. Not sure if I'd do it as a PC, but I would allow it.

Bharg
2010-06-12, 09:03 AM
Mandalorian Training sounds good...
I'll probably have to meditate a lot about all this feats and talents and bonus feats....