PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect TV Series - Who'd be your dream cast?

Callos_DeTerran
2010-06-08, 04:38 PM
Before anyone who just read the first part and clicked before finishing it gets too excited, I have heard no news whatsoever about a Mass Effect tv series. I heard something a fair bit back about a Mass Effect movie, but this isn't about that (not really anyway). When I heard that news I got to thinking...mostly about the abundance of material in the Mass Effect games that'd have to be cut to make it movie sized. Considering that wealth of material is part of the reason the whole Mass Effect game series is so grand...I thought about whys it COULD be different and perhaps work better.

Then I thought 'TV series'. Hence this. I want to get the opinion of the forum goers about the idea of a Mass Effect TV series, if it should be CG (and with original voice actors from the game possibly) or live action, and if it's live action then who should play whom and who voices who.

Discuss!

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-08, 05:01 PM
Well, if it uses the characters from the games, please, please, please don't let Yvonne Strahovski play Miranda Lawson. As much as it makes sense for her to play the role she voiced and modeled, after playing the second game about... sixty times, I'm quite tired of seeing her face (fascinatingly enough, Mark Vanderloo gets a pass on that regard).

However, if I have it my way, Adam Baldwin will be the main protagonist. Because let's face it, Adam Baldwin is awesome. And somewhere in the plot somewhere, Cillian Murphy and Kristen Bell should have hot steamy sex.

Wait, I just described my Mass Effect fanfiction. Never mind me.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-08, 05:02 PM
That's why we have the Mass Effect movie. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/109/1092495p1.html) IMHO, we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-06-08, 05:27 PM
That's why we have the Mass Effect movie. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/109/1092495p1.html) IMHO, we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

I know about said movie. :smallwink: I just think it'd be better as a TV series if it's done right.

FoE
2010-06-08, 05:38 PM
Unless they planned to completely re-design the fluff, I'd think it would have to be CG to accomodate the sheery variety in aliens. This ain't Star Trek. The aliens aren't just humans with ridges on their foreheads. I'd pity the poor bastards they stuck in turian and krogan suits.

Mr._Blinky
2010-06-08, 05:54 PM
Well, if it uses the characters from the games, please, please, please don't let Yvonne Strahovski play Miranda Lawson. As much as it makes sense for her to play the role she voiced and modeled, after playing the second game about... sixty times, I'm quite tired of seeing her face (fascinatingly enough, Mark Vanderloo gets a pass on that regard).

Yeah, but to be honest Miranda doesn't really look all that much like her voice actress. Something in the translation of actress-to-model didn't quite work out right, which is why Miranda looks honestly kinda' weird. Strahotski on the other hand is someone who I can assure you, having watched all three seasons of Chuck, you would not get tired of watching.

Dienekes
2010-06-08, 06:00 PM
Ehh, my dream team would be no one. Sorry, I have too much fun making Shepard act anyway I like, and having whatever gender I wish for him/her at the moment, to have a canon barging in and ruining it for me.

Though, looking at above posts, I could find a way to sit through an Adam Baldwin Shepard.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-08, 06:00 PM
I realized that I was tired of Strahovski's face after a Chuck marathon, actually.

The Succubus
2010-06-08, 06:04 PM
It would need a Simon Templeman voice-over in it. The man has a voice that's so badass it makes me go tingly and I'm a guy.

As for the forthcoming movie, I heard about this a while ago on another website and here are my sentiments reproduced for your flaming pleasure:

This sounds a recipe for disaster. Why couldn't they have let Bioware do the script for this instead of some worthless Hollywood hack? Bioware games are *the* industry standard for good dialogue and plots. Saying "I did the dialogue for I Am Legend" is hardly something to brag about on your CV.

Giggling Ghast
2010-06-08, 10:24 PM
Though, looking at above posts, I could find a way to sit through an Adam Baldwin Shepard.

And take away from Adam Baldwin playing Kal'Reegar? Not on yer goddamn life.

Baldwin did more for that character than you ***holes ever will. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-08, 10:34 PM
And take away from Adam Baldwin playing Kal'Reegar? Not on yer goddamn life.

Baldwin did more for that character than you ***holes ever will. :smalltongue:

Good news! He can do both! Quinton Flynn voiced several characters in Mass Effect 2, so it can be done (though admittedly, Quinton Flynn is a voice actor, while Baldwin is just an actor), and Kal'Reegar is always wearing that damn helmet of his. No one can tell that someone else is playing him while Baldwin lends his voice.

Besides, quarians have pretty inhuman legs, so you can't really have Adam Baldwin in that suit to begin with.

factotum
2010-06-09, 01:31 AM
Problem is, when you start talking about TV series then people from different countries will likely have different actors in mind, since you can hardly use movie stars in it. For instance, I'd like to see Shephard played by Sarah Parish (since we all know femShep beats manShep :smallsmile:), but I don't know if anyone in America will have even heard of her.

Ganurath
2010-06-09, 01:52 AM
Summer Glau (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummerGlau) as Liara, mayhap? Liara always struck me as being rather young (relatively speaking,) and add in social awkwardness and psychic powers...

Would Michelle Rodriguez (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MichelleRodriguez) shave her head to play Jack?

Avilan the Grey
2010-06-09, 02:08 AM
I don't want a Mass Effect TV Series. I want a TV series set in the Mass Effect Universe. An important difference.

Yulian
2010-06-09, 08:25 AM
And somewhere in the plot somewhere, Cillian Murphy

Thane Krios.

I mean really. It's a great match.

- Yulian

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-09, 08:53 AM
I don't want a Mass Effect TV Series. I want a TV series set in the Mass Effect Universe. An important difference.

Pretty much what I was thinking, possibly with cameos from the characters from the game (because you all know you want to see Conrad Verner and his Shepards).

Athaniar
2010-06-09, 09:56 AM
That is a great idea. I'm not fond of the idea of films or series based directly on the plot of the games because the games are already interactive movies. It'd just feel redundant (in addition to making you feel like you've made the wrong decisions if you didn't do exactly what happens in the movie/series). A "TV series set in the Mass Effect Universe" on the other hand, now that I'd watch.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-06-09, 11:34 AM
The Shepard I played ended up looking a bit like Felicia Day, which would be an interesting casting choice that I wholeheartedly approve.

But I agree with making it a show set in the universe, rather than retelling the story of the game. Because there is no one "story of the game" and you can't make a show (or movie) that will match even a fraction of the audience's game experience.

thegurullamen
2010-06-10, 02:23 AM
Just get HBO to front the money for a computer animation studio, then use (some of) the same voice actors to tell a different story. I want more of the background explained and shown. (First Contact War, Earth's Ezo Contamination, Krogan-Rachni War, Geth Rebellion, Formation of the Migrant Fleet, Krogan Population Bomb--the series is rife with things just waiting for glorious definition.) And there is no end to the stories one could tell of Kal'Reegar, eminent badass and the only thing keeping the quarians alive against the geth menace.

horngeek
2010-06-10, 02:27 AM
I know about said movie. :smallwink: I just think it'd be better as a TV series if it's done right.

A bit like the Wheel of Time books.

I love the series, but I honestly think it'd work best if you gave it to an anime studio and let them do the plot, one season per book. :smalltongue:

Revanmal
2010-06-10, 02:56 AM
A bit like the Wheel of Time books.

I love the series, but I honestly think it'd work best if you gave it to an anime studio and let them do the plot, one season per book. :smalltongue:

Anime? They'd need some serious cash to do the setting justice. Especially things like the huge battles, the premiere of the Asha'man, Rand's various genocide attacks with his sa'angreal.

The thing about Japanese animation is that it's all about time crunching and budget, even more so than in the West. That's why things like bad lip-sync (even in the Japanese version, not because of dubbing), stock footage, and the flashbacks and power-up sequences were invented.

The writing would have to be done by Bioware, and the animation by whoever did Avatar: the Last Airbender. And it would get the same funding as James Cameron's movies, because I'm sure it would be put to much better use than fancy 3D effects and nice CG.

horngeek
2010-06-10, 03:16 AM
Fine. Anime studio, and a big budget. The style just fits better, IMO.

Athaniar
2010-06-10, 04:55 AM
It's not a bad idea, actually.

Leecros
2010-06-10, 09:00 AM

i think that anything Book or Video Game when being considered to be put on television SHOULD be put into TV series format. There's simply not enough time in (at most) 3 1/2 hours to do the thing justice.

but

In this case i think Mass Effect should stay on the Computer; they could do it and they could do it well, but they won't.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-10, 12:35 PM
Personally, I would prefer a Mass Effect series be live-action, rather than animated. Of course, that would cause problems with the hanar, the elcor and a lot of other things, but we could just set it before their introduction to the galactic society.

Revanmal
2010-06-10, 12:48 PM
Personally, I would prefer a Mass Effect series be live-action, rather than animated. Of course, that would cause problems with the hanar, the elcor and a lot of other things, but we could just set it before their introduction to the galactic society.

But that would mean there'd only be Asari, Salarians, and Turians as characters. Humanity is the new kid on the block, even newer to the galactic scene than the other non-Council races. Every actor'd have to be female and in makeup or CGI due to the other races' inhuman biology.

Athaniar
2010-06-10, 02:32 PM
Here's an idea for a series (live action or not): C-Sec, starring Garrus Vakarian. And it would be the best police series ever.

Terry576
2010-06-10, 02:46 PM
my dreamcast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast)

All joking aside, I'd prefer to play the goddamn game.

I refuse to trust Hollywood with movies/TV shows based off of:

Books/Games/Old TV Shows/Old Movies.

Revanmal
2010-06-10, 11:34 PM
Here's an idea for a series (live action or not): C-Sec, starring Garrus Vakarian. And it would be the best police series ever.

Garrus would be going Dirty Harry on everyone's asses.

"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as this is Mass Effect and our weapon systems make things like running out of ammo all but impossible, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel really, really lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

KnightDisciple
2010-06-10, 11:42 PM
Garrus would be going Dirty Harry on everyone's asses.

"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as this is Mass Effect and our weapon systems make things like running out of ammo all but impossible, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel really, really lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"Stop stealing Blasto's lines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGldy-ABbsw)!

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-10, 11:59 PM
Can hanar even be biotics? We don't know whether their nervous system works through conventional means, so they might not have the electrical charges required to power biotic powers.