PDA

View Full Version : weapons that help grappling?

gallagher
2010-06-08, 05:51 PM
i was thinking about making an NPC who is a major character in my game. the idea is that i could make a TWF ranger who uses a pair of tiger-claw like gauntlets. are there any such weapon, and does it improve a grapple check?

the ideal character in this situation would be a TWF tree character at least, not necessarily a ranger, who was able to grow in size (psionic expansion anyone?) with improved grapple as well.

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 06:01 PM
The best weapon in a grapple is not a weapon. Its the Constrict ability. Constrict does damage every time you win a grapple. That means even if your foe tries to struggle and escape, you punish them for it. Nothing else works like it.

Other than that, no, there aren't really any weapons that make you better at grappling. There are a few magic items like Armbands of Might that increase Str checks, but those aren't really weapons. Using weapons in a grapple is generally a bad idea anyway, as since you are a grapple focus character, chances are you can easily make most "grapple to damage a foe" checks. At that point, increasing the size of your Unarmed Strike value is the best goal.

gallagher
2010-06-08, 06:03 PM
The best weapon in a grapple is not a weapon. Its the Constrict ability. Constrict does damage every time you win a grapple. That means even if your foe tries to struggle and escape, you punish them for it. Nothing else works like it.

Other than that, no, there aren't really any weapons that make you better at grappling. There are a few magic items like Armbands of Might that increase Str checks, but those aren't really weapons. Using weapons in a grapple is generally a bad idea anyway, as since you are a grapple focus character, chances are you can easily make most "grapple to damage a foe" checks. At that point, increasing the size of your Unarmed Strike value is the best goal.well i know there are scorpion claws that do work like that, giving you a +4 to grapple checks that i believe stack with improved grapple. do armbands of might stack with powerful build? and will i have to just make tiger claws and say they work like the scorpion claws?

Thieves
2010-06-08, 06:09 PM
It's your game, and it's an NPC. Man. I'd give him a Spiked Chain.

Trip. Jump on the guy. Spiked Chain around his limbs / neck.

If that isn't enough to give you a Constrict or some serious damage, I don't know what is.

Oh, and coat it in poison after having drank an antidote.

The gory horror! The overkill!

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 06:09 PM
Where are these Scorpion Claws from? If what you say is true, I'm VERY intrigued...

Armbands of Might just give a generic unnamed +2 bonus on all Str checks. Grapple checks are Str checks, and thus the Armbands apply. They stack with everything, except maybe another item you want to put in your bracer slot...

Critical
2010-06-08, 06:10 PM
Duh, just use Knifefighter from PgtF, use some boost maneuver, and voila! A valuable weapon choice for a grappler. :smallbiggrin:

gallagher
2010-06-08, 06:25 PM
Where are these Scorpion Claws from? If what you say is true, I'm VERY intrigued...

Armbands of Might just give a generic unnamed +2 bonus on all Str checks. Grapple checks are Str checks, and thus the Armbands apply. They stack with everything, except maybe another item you want to put in your bracer slot...

they are from sandstorm... and are VERY intriguing indeed.

they do slashing or piercing damage, and you put your hands inside them and have this level you squeeze to make the claws open and close. they are also light, do 1d6 damage, and can thus be TWF'ed and Finessed

IdleMuse
2010-06-08, 06:28 PM
There's something in the MIC I think

*looks it up*

Brawler's Gauntlets for a +2 untyped bonus?
Gloves of the Titan's Grip for +8 enhancemnt bonus. This is what you want on your hands.