PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you put a ring of sustenance on a vampire?

Sindri
2010-06-08, 06:16 PM
According to the rules in Libris Mortis, a vampire goes crazy and kills people if they go without energy draining for a day or go without blood for three. What happens if you give them a ring of sustenance? Does it negate this altogether, or just the blood, or what?

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 06:17 PM
According to the rules in Libris Mortis, a vampire goes crazy and kills people if they go without energy draining for a day or go without blood for three. What happens if you give them a ring of sustenance? Does it negate this altogether, or just the blood, or what?

Doesn't a Ring of Sustenance only remove need for food and water? Blood is neither.

Escheton
2010-06-08, 06:19 PM
Giving it to a pet human would turn it into blood though

Pink
2010-06-08, 06:20 PM
Ring of Sustenance provides life-sustaining sustenance. The Vampire is not alive, so I imagine it does nothing for them.

Xallace
2010-06-08, 06:51 PM
The part that sticks out to me is that it "refreshes the body and mind." So I'd say it allows the vampire to ignore the hunger.

Sustenance

This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.

Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Forge Ring, create food and water; Price 2,500 gp.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-08, 06:54 PM
Doesn't a Ring of Sustenance only remove need for food and water? Blood is neither.
I don't know if blood pudding supports or denies this statment. :smalltongue:

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-08, 06:56 PM
I think blood reasonably qualifies as food, given that it is.

Ring of Sustenance provides life-sustaining sustenance. The Vampire is not alive, so I imagine it does nothing for them.

Is a more convincing argument to me.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 06:58 PM
I don't know if blood pudding supports or denies this statment. :smalltongue:

Don't think it's used quite in the same manner as the way vampires drink blood.

BobVosh
2010-06-08, 07:01 PM
Between this and illithids with the ring, I swear.

How about we up the ante: an illithid vampire with a ring of sustenance?

J.Gellert
2010-06-08, 07:19 PM
I am tempted to say yes... but if the only way for a vampire to finally quench its thirst is to drain the blood from a dragon (cough, or something, cough), then it's suddenly much more interesting :smallbiggrin:

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 07:20 PM
I am tempted to say yes... but if the only way for a vampire to finally quench its thirst is to drain the blood from a dragon (cough, or something, cough), then it's suddenly much more interesting :smallbiggrin:

If you try to introduce Nightbane to DnD, I will light you one fire. :smallannoyed:

AstralFire
2010-06-08, 07:24 PM
If you try to introduce Nightwing to DnD, I will light you one fire. :smallannoyed:

Since when does Richard Grayson eat dragon blood what

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 07:25 PM
Since when does Richard Grayson eat dragon blood what

Wrong name. Edited it. Meant Nightbane.

AstralFire
2010-06-08, 07:26 PM
Which Nightbane?

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 07:29 PM
This Nightbane. (http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=6316989)

The Glyphstone
2010-06-08, 07:31 PM
This Nightbane. (http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=6316989)

I thought you meant this Nightbane (http://www.wowwiki.com/Nightbane_(boss)), and I was very confused.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 07:34 PM
I thought you meant this Nightbane (http://www.wowwiki.com/Nightbane_(boss)), and I was very confused.

Nope. Pretty sure I quit WoW before he came out.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-08, 07:36 PM
The vampire is in that state of hunger where it's just enough to be annoying but not enough to make you get off your butt and do anything about it. Forever.

Sindri
2010-06-08, 07:52 PM
Well, according to Libris Mortis, a vampire requires blood to function. They won't die without it, but they dry up and can't move after 3d6 months. So I was thinking that the ring would probably work on that, but the energy draining thing is more like an addiction, so that's less likely. If there isn't actually a ruling on this anywhere I guess it's GM fiat.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-08, 07:53 PM
You get vampires that turn into shiny disco balls when sunlight hits them and are vegan mormons.

Swok
2010-06-08, 07:56 PM
Really, it's pretty reasonable either way. For players vampire is such horrible crap anyway it's not like it's a huge problem them ignoring their hunger for blood. NPCs it's mostly a bit of fluff and will only impact the game in a small amount of cases.

That's if you rule the blood as food.

You want weird? I'm in a group that says that Ring of Sustenance only works for food. Somehow water is not involved in sustenance.

mobdrazhar
2010-06-08, 08:14 PM
You want weird? I'm in a group that says that Ring of Sustenance only works for food. Somehow water is not involved in sustenance.

of course it isn't... that's what beer is for :smallbiggrin:

Dairun Cates
2010-06-08, 08:17 PM
of course it isn't... that's what beer is for :smallbiggrin:

OH WAIT! The Ring of Sustenance gives water and life-giving liquid, right? Well, if a Ring of Sustenance could be tuned to give the effects of daily beer drinking, could we give the Vampires...

BLOODY MARYS!

mobdrazhar
2010-06-08, 08:22 PM
OH WAIT! The Ring of Sustenance gives water and life-giving liquid, right? Well, if a Ring of Sustenance could be tuned to give the effects of daily beer drinking, could we give the Vampires...

BLOODY MARYS!

By jove I think he's got it!

Thurbane
2010-06-08, 09:31 PM
By RAW I would say no, but it may be a reasonable DM fiat to rule that it does. It says it "life-sustaining nourishment", and technically a vamp requires unlife-sustaining nourishment.

It would also be reasonable for the DM to approve a custom item that functions identically, but only works for undead.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-08, 10:12 PM
It would also be reasonable for the DM to approve a custom item that functions identically, but only works for undead.

Which raises the question, what happens when you put a ring of unsustenance on a not undead?

Eloi
2010-06-08, 10:15 PM
Which raises the question, what happens when you put a ring of unsustenance on a not undead?

They'd starve, of course.

Optimystik
2010-06-08, 10:27 PM
The vampire is in that state of hunger where it's just enough to be annoying but not enough to make you get off your butt and do anything about it. Forever.

Oh god, this reminds me of when I lived within a short drive of a taco bell, but my car was parked in a garage two dorms away overnight. :smallfrown:

By RAW I would say no, but it may be a reasonable DM fiat to rule that it does. It says it "life-sustaining nourishment", and technically a vamp requires unlife-sustaining nourishment.

I'm fine with this interpretation, but the question of the Mindflayer wearing the ring still rears it's head.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 10:30 PM
I'm fine with this interpretation, but the question of the Mindflayer wearing the ring still rears it's head.

Do Illithid actually NEED to eat brains? I was always under the impression that they either did it for kicks or as a narcotic of some sort.

Eloi
2010-06-08, 10:30 PM
Oh god, this reminds me of when I lived within a short drive of a taco bell, but my car was parked in a garage two dorms away overnight. :smallfrown:

Mindflayers would get the intellect they need to be nourished, but not the actual brains.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-08, 10:31 PM
Mindflayers would get the intellect they need to be nourished, but not the actual brains.

Vegan Illithids. BRILLIANT!

SaintRidley
2010-06-08, 10:40 PM
Do Illithid actually NEED to eat brains? I was always under the impression that they either did it for kicks or as a narcotic of some sort.

Required. They have a food they get nutrients from, but it is neither appetising nor enough to sustain an Illithid alone, but to remain healthy they need at least a brain a week.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-08, 10:41 PM
They'd starve, of course.
Could they "catch up" to the ring by overeating, then?

Eloi
2010-06-08, 10:44 PM
Vegan Illithids. BRILLIANT!

And lets make their tentacles glow and sparkle in the sunlight.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 10:47 PM
And lets make their tentacles glow and sparkle in the sunlight.

No, the sparkling vegan Illithid don't have tentacles. They're far too perfect and beautiful for that.

Yukitsu
2010-06-08, 10:49 PM
I can only think of one country where millions of people would rather see tentacles rather than young men with no shirts. And they already have plenty of that nonsense.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 10:51 PM
I can only think of one country where millions of people would rather see tentacles rather than young men with no shirts. And they already have plenty of that nonsense.

Internet!Japan?

Eloi
2010-06-08, 10:51 PM
No, the sparkling vegan Illithid don't have tentacles. They're far too perfect and beautiful for that.

Ed the handsome Illithid's gorgeous shiny skin sparkled in the sunlight, with his sensual sun-kist lips moving to say "Much to my chargin, I have no tentacles!" and I leaned into his well-toned body and said "Worry not, for you look beautiful without them!" Suddenly Drizzle the good drow came and said "Bell! How dare you betray me, don't you like my dual scimitars?" I turned, for, I loved them both in all of their derailed race glory.

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 10:54 PM
Ed the handsome Illithid's gorgeous shiny skin sparkled in the sunlight, with his sensual sun-kist lips moving to say "Much to my chargin, I have no tentacles!" and I leaned into his well-toned body and said "Worry not, for you look beautiful without them!" Suddenly Drizzle the good drow came and said "Bell! How dare you betray me, don't you like my dual scimitars?" I turned, for, I loved them both in all of their derailed race glory.

I lol'd. :smallbiggrin:

Somebody, go write a fanfic. NAO.

Friend Computer
2010-06-08, 11:05 PM
The win is strong in this one. :smallbiggrin:

Escheton
2010-06-08, 11:24 PM
Step 1: find a troll
Step 2: cut off his arm
Step 3: apply ring to trollarm.
Step 4: keep around as everlasting bloodration

Pink
2010-06-08, 11:31 PM
Step 1: find a troll
Step 2: cut off his arm
Step 3: apply ring to trollarm.
Step 4: keep around as everlasting bloodration

Ummm, pretty sure arm withers and the larger part of the troll remains.

And I don't think the troll regeneration works on con damage.

BobVosh
2010-06-09, 12:03 AM
Could they "catch up" to the ring by overeating, then?

No, the lords of madness book states they can't produce a certain brainwave required by their psionic nature, so they go munch on people to get that. I think they don't need brains much until they go and blast people. However they can't overeat to accommodate that. I could be wrong, of course, and misremembering how it worked.

Drakevarg
2010-06-09, 12:04 AM
No, the lords of madness book states they can't produce a certain brainwave required by their psionic nature, so they go munch on people to get that. I think they don't need brains much until they go and blast people. However they can't overeat to accommodate that. I could be wrong, of course, and misremembering how it worked.

He's referring to a "Ring of Unsustinance" being worn by a non-undead creature.

Escheton
2010-06-09, 12:22 AM
Ummm, pretty sure arm withers and the larger part of the troll remains.

And I don't think the troll regeneration works on con damage.

The ring sustains it(no withering), the regenerate only keeps it alive.
The con damage as representation of blood loss I still find weird, but one could give arms conscores and let it heal naturally over time, or make a wandchamber in it with an modded (for divine spells)eternal wand of lesser restoration. Or just stuff the globe or whatever from MiC in there.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-09, 12:28 AM
You get vampires that turn into shiny disco balls when sunlight hits them and are vegan mormons.

I will light you on fire. I swear to Pelor, I will do it. :smallannoyed:

Dairun Cates
2010-06-09, 12:49 AM
I will light you on fire. I swear to Pelor, I will do it. :smallannoyed:

Good. My vampires will be EVEN MORE FABULOUS.

flaming too...

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-09, 03:34 AM

Clapclapclap.

I think the ring'd work on a mind flayer, but if someone can prove that wrong then I'd welcome it.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-09, 03:56 AM
The ring sustains it(no withering), the regenerate only keeps it alive.
The con damage as representation of blood loss I still find weird, but one could give arms conscores and let it heal naturally over time, or make a wandchamber in it with an modded (for divine spells)eternal wand of lesser restoration. Or just stuff the globe or whatever from MiC in there.The ring wouldn't sustain the arm by itself, but the simple solution here is to chop the rest of the troll into smaller pieces. Then the arm, being the largest remaining part of the troll, is the troll as far as mechanics are concerned, and regenerates by itself. You'd still need Restoration, though, making this about as efficient as keeping a small animal around.

Thurbane
2010-06-09, 04:04 AM
Ed the handsome Illithid's gorgeous shiny skin sparkled in the sunlight, with his sensual sun-kist lips moving to say "Much to my chargin, I have no tentacles!" and I leaned into his well-toned body and said "Worry not, for you look beautiful without them!" Suddenly Drizzle the good drow came and said "Bell! How dare you betray me, don't you like my dual scimitars?" I turned, for, I loved them both in all of their derailed race glory.http://i47.tinypic.com/311mdmt.jpg

J.Gellert
2010-06-09, 04:05 AM
If you try to introduce Nightbane to DnD, I will light you one fire. :smallannoyed:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Here.
http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire#Blood_Dragons

Escheton
2010-06-09, 06:11 AM
The ring wouldn't sustain the arm by itself, but the simple solution here is to chop the rest of the troll into smaller pieces. Then the arm, being the largest remaining part of the troll, is the troll as far as mechanics are concerned, and regenerates by itself. You'd still need Restoration, though, making this about as efficient as keeping a small animal around.

Right, you are better off with a lvl 1 binder.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-09, 01:13 PM
Even if it does provide sustenance[which just ruins vampires].
I'd say it doesn't quell the craving for blood so the vampire will feed anyway.

If you want a cheap and easy way to have vampires avoid sucking on the blood of the living just let them drink animal blood and you can slowly turn them into those Twilight sissies.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-09, 01:53 PM
Even if it does provide sustenance[which just ruins vampires].
I'd say it doesn't quell the craving for blood so the vampire will feed anyway.

If you want a cheap and easy way to have vampires avoid sucking on the blood of the living just let them drink animal blood and you can slowly turn them into those Twilight sissies.

In all fairness, probably just best to avoid vampires in general. The whole "run away in a cloud of smoke through a crack in the castle floor"/"Take negative levels for every hit ever" thing just gets really old, really fast. It's good for once a game, but I swear, we almost started beating one of our GMs for how many vampires we had to fight in a NON-Ravenloft game.

When everyone in the party's got at least a negative level before level 6, you're probably doing something wrong.