PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition) question (New question!)

GroovyTaxi
2010-06-08, 06:34 PM
I just read the whole book so I can GM a game and I have one very important question that the book doesn't seem to be answering clearly. Sadly, it's an extremely important part, since it's the very basic of the career system.

My question is :
When can you change to another class?

At some places, it's written that you must complete the class (but no one ever explains what the rules consider as "completing a class") and sometimes it's written as a suggestion (ex: "when you bought all the upgrades, it's time to change classes").

What makes me doubt is that later on, it's written that there are only two prerequisites to a class change, being a cost in XP and the needed trappings.

Basically, do you need to buy all the upgrades (or one of the possible upgrade choices, like buying "haggle" from "haggle or gambling") from your current class before switching to another class or can you switch at any time if you pay the XP cost and buy the trappings? I'd like to have a quote from the book that clearly explains this rule.qu

Matthew
2010-06-08, 06:39 PM
Hmmn. This might be a bit useless, as it is the case in first edition, but you can change into any basic profession whenever the opportunity arises for 100 EP without having finished the advancement scheme, but if you want to move into an advanced career you have to finish the advancement scheme, which means buying all the attribute and skill advancements. As I say, it might have changed between editions, but perhaps not.

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-08, 06:46 PM
Eventually you will have bought every advance available within your first career. When this happens, it is time to change careers.

Every career description has a list of Career Exits... The first step towards changing career is to pick which one of these exit options you'd like to take.

Before you can enter the new career you've chosen there are two things you must do. First, you must collect all the trappings of the career you wish to join. Second, you must pay 100xp to enter the chosen career.

As Matthew outlines above, there remains in 2nd edition the option to switch out for a new Basic Career at any point. This costs 200xp and comes with its own set of caveats, outlined on page 29.

I'd suggest treating the trappings requirement as more of a guideline, from experience. Hope this helps.

Darrin
2010-06-08, 06:48 PM
My question is :
When can you change to another class?

As I recall, when you complete a career, you spend 100 XP and can then take any of your career exits into a new career. You can take a career exit from a previously completed career, if you don't see any exits you like in your current career. You can also spend 100 200 XP at any time to switch to a basic career.

At some places, it's written that you must complete the class (but no one ever explains what the rules consider as "completing a class") and sometimes it's written as a suggestion (ex: "when you bought all the upgrades, it's time to change classes").

Completing a career means you have completed all of the required stat block advances for that career, and you have also picked up all of the skills for that career at least once. Some careers have talents that you start with, but since these can't be bought with XP, they are not required to complete a career. If you already purchased an advance or skill in a previous career, you don't have to buy them again (although you can advance a skill up to three times if you so desire).

What makes me doubt is that later on, it's written that there are only two prerequisites to a class change, being a cost in XP and the needed trappings.

To start a new career, yes, you need to spend 100 XP, and you need to acquire all of the trappings of the career you're going into. Some GM's will be fairly lenient on the trappings if you're making a good-faith effort to acquire them and find yourself with an overabundance of bad luck or an extreme shortage of crowns.

Basically, do you need to buy all the upgrades (or one of the possible upgrade choices, like buying "haggle" from "haggle or gambling") from your current class before switching to another class or can you switch at any time if you pay the XP cost and buy the trappings? I'd like to have a quote from the book that clearly explains this rule.

Can't... touch... the... book... or... I'll... want... to... PLAY!

Um, yes, you have to buy the skills at least once. You can't buy the talents, so you can skip those. If there's an "OR" statement (haggle or gambling), I believe you only need one of those skills, not both.

comicshorse
2010-06-08, 06:51 PM
Posted by Darrin

If there's an "OR" statement (haggle or gambling), I believe you only need one of those skills, not both.

But you can buy both if you want to

GroovyTaxi
2010-06-08, 07:44 PM
Thanks a lot, it all really helps! Now I can start running my games!

lesser_minion
2010-06-08, 09:06 PM
You can always switch out of a career for 200 xp, in which case you can pick any basic career, except for certain special careers (noble, and a number of careers which can only be taken as a starting career).

Alternatively, once you complete your advance scheme and obtain all required skills and talents, you can move careers for 100 xp, and this can take you to any career exit, including advanced and 'special' careers.

As for skill/talent requirements, any skill or talent mentioned is valid for purchasing, but some may be noted with 'or' , in which case you can advance without obtaining all of them.

You are never required to re-purchase skills you had beforehand.

GroovyTaxi
2010-06-08, 11:09 PM
Alternatively, once you complete your advance scheme and obtain all required skills and talents, you can move careers for 100 xp, and this can take you to any career, including advanced and 'special' careers.

Any career exit, you mean?

NEW QUESTION!

A student starts the game with two textbooks. What kind of books are those? I can't find "textbook" in the equipment chapter, only "book" and there are two kinds of books, illuminated and printed. They're all horribly expensive and it sounds a bit weird for a simple student to own 200 (or 700!) gold crowns in books at the beginning of his career.

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-09, 03:30 AM

NEW QUESTION!

A student starts the game with two textbooks. What kind of books are those? I can't find "textbook" in the equipment chapter, only "book" and there are two kinds of books, illuminated and printed. They're all horribly expensive and it sounds a bit weird for a simple student to own 200 (or 700!) gold crowns in books at the beginning of his career.

I think this is really up for the player and GM to decide. The cost isn't really that outlandish when you consider some other careers - such as Roadwarden. In the Old World, books are a lot less sellable than pistols, especially textbooks. If it helps any, the Old World Armoury divides printed books into two more categories: printed, glued and printed, stitched. The glued is cheaper by 25 crowns and noted as much less durable.

comicshorse
2010-06-09, 06:17 AM
Posted by Groovy Taxi

Yes

What kind of books are those?

Whatever he is studying

They may be valuable but your going to have fun making him try to keep them intact while he is out adventuring:smallsmile:

lesser_minion
2010-06-09, 09:21 AM

Yes. Whoops.

GroovyTaxi
2010-06-09, 11:57 AM
Thank you for all! I don't really like it when information is missing in a book (if I wanted to take decisions towards the rules as a GM, I wouldn't be reading it), but I guess it has to be fun to make a player freak out when he finds his books in a puddle of mud/blood/orc piss or whatever else you want. :smallbiggrin: