PDA

View Full Version : Orglash Template and Smoke Paraelemental?

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-08, 08:30 PM
As far as I understand, Smoke Paraelementals are eligible for the Orglash Template, but it would end them up with both the Fire and Cold subtype... So what would the final result of that be? Would it be immune to both? Take 50% damage from both Fire and Cold attacks (-100% + +50%) and none on a succesful save? Would they negate each other?

And just out of curiousity; if you could summon an Omnimental, would you be allowed to add both the Thomil and the Orglash template to it if you have Rashemi Elemental Summoning? (I wish I could summon one... It'd complete my collection so nicely.)

TheLaughingLich
2010-06-08, 08:44 PM
In general, a creature with both the Cold and Fire subtypes will be immune to both Cold and Fire damage, but if something bypasses immunity (e.g. a spell with Searing Spell applied), the vulnerability will have its usual consequences. Note that Piercing Cold will still cause no damage, as it specifies that it doesn't work against creatures with the Cold subtype.

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-08, 09:06 PM
Makes sense, I suppose. Thank ye kindly.

But wait, Searing spell can even affect creatures with the Fire subtype? Even Fire Elementals?

"But... I'm MADE of fire!"
"Well, my Fire spells are JUST THAT HOT."
"You can't burn fire!"
"Well, apparently, I can."

Volthawk
2010-06-09, 12:45 AM

But wait, Searing spell can even affect creatures with the Fire subtype? Even Fire Elementals?

"You can't burn fire!"

Yes. Yes it can.

Eldariel
2010-06-09, 06:03 AM

"You can't burn fire!"

Just ask Jaya Ballard (http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7268/mcmagjayaballard.jpg): "Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire. (http://www.essentialmagicimages.com/48/33724.jpg)"

hewhosaysfish
2010-06-09, 06:18 AM
If you think about it logically "logically", hitting a Fire Elemental with a Scorching Ray should hurt it as readily as throwing a rock at an Earth Elemental or punching a flesh-and-blood human with your flesh-and-blood fist.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-06-09, 06:32 AM
You don't destroy the fire with your Scorching Ray any more than you can destroy a water elemental with a dagger. The key is structural integrity, and the elemental's ability to control the elements around it. A Searing Spell Scorching Ray is so firey that it overloads the elemental's ability to control fire. This only works for fire elementals, as they are known for their instability.

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-09, 02:01 PM
You don't destroy the fire with your Scorching Ray any more than you can destroy a water elemental with a dagger. The key is structural integrity, and the elemental's ability to control the elements around it. A Searing Spell Scorching Ray is so firey that it overloads the elemental's ability to control fire. This only works for fire elementals, as they are known for their instability.

...Huh, that actually makes sense in a way. After all, why should anything but water/ice hurt something made of fire? Same thing goes for water and air and Earth Elementals would have a lot more HP if you just see them as rock. Seeing it as damaging their ability to maintain their form, tiring them out mentally until they can't keep themselves together, makes things more sensible.