PDA

View Full Version : Help with those things in the Playground

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-08, 11:54 PM
I was wondering whats the info of those "something in the Playground" things below the our names.

Whats their purpose? how or when do they change?

:smallconfused:

Isak
2010-06-08, 11:59 PM
They're like a way to judge post count.

I don't know if there's a list of sorts hidden around somewhere... But all the titles are based off of D&D monsters, or supernatural creatures in general.

Last I heard, which was some time ago, the exact amount of posts for each title was never released... But that WAS a while ago.

Drakevarg
2010-06-09, 12:01 AM
FAQ is your friend. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45659)

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 12:13 AM
Thanks ya'll :smallsmile:

lesser_minion
2010-06-09, 01:33 AM
In essence, they're a relic of the board software.

Your title does change with post count, but the forum staff make a point of trying to treat everyone equally regardless of post count, post rank, or join date, and they expect the same from everyone else.

From a recent post by the mods, I'm under the impression that they there wouldn't be any titles at all if the board software allowed it.

As it is, user titles and post counts are generally considered an inappropriate topic for discussion, and posting for the sole purpose of raising your post count is frowned upon (the stated policy is that doing so will get your count manually reset).

2010-06-09, 03:57 AM
thats interesting, why not just have the title "user" and duplicate it several times for the higher post counts?

edit: and is there something that could reset mine after every post? i would much rather be a pixie than a dwarf.

further edit: why does it skip around so much to different types of critter; would the software support alternate sets of title so maybe a set of the fair folk and similar critters from other mythologies, another of dragons and dragon-related critters, one for orc/bugbear type critters, or different mythologies or D&D campaign settings or something so that the titles will be more personalized and users will be more likely to get it wrong and humiliate themselves when they discriminate based on post count*?

*so less likely to attempt it even if they dont respect other posters or fear moderation

Serpentine
2010-06-09, 03:59 AM
Because that's boring.

Zeb The Troll
2010-06-09, 05:04 AM
From the Board and Site Issues (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8630598#post8630598) forum...

Sheriff of Moddingham: ...

Titles exist because they are part of the forum software. They are what they are because it fits in with the Giant in the Playground theme and was part of the early structuring of the forum. Eliminating them would remove that thematic element, and letting people choose there own creates: 1) more work for the moderators and 2) additional opportunities for people to dub themselves "[Inappropriate thing] in the Playground" or "[Better than whatever you put in your title] in the Playground" or even "[Nothing to do with the Playground whatsoever."

rakkoon
2010-06-09, 10:05 AM
Well, there is something to be said for evolving from a Pixie to Epic Archpixie In The Playground. But those are the titles and we should learn to love them all equally

Respectfully,
High Lord Piximus III in the Playground

Cealocanth
2010-06-09, 11:13 PM
The things under you're name are a record of post count and a title that shows how much you've participated in the playground. We are all equal in the playground except for the moderators which are less equal then the rest of us are. A pixie may be newer and less expierenced, but they are not superior to any titan or ettin out there by any means.

This is an illegal topic. I have a feeling Roland's going to close this very soon.

Rawhide
2010-06-10, 01:44 AM
Zeb has quoted the relevant post by Roland.

We want to have such titles because it adds fun and flair to the board, but currently the only way we can have such titles in the manner we want is to link them to post count. It is important to remember however, as people have rightly pointed out, that the size of your post count is not important. All members should be treated equally and fairly and your user title does not grant you any special privileges or status.

Believe it or not, I think that the majority of frequenters to the board are in the same mindset. People here seem to respect quality over quantity and have been very accepting of new members, especially while they are still learning the ropes.

I know that I am very dissapointed whenever I see someone post or edit their post to say "Yes! Dwarf!" (etc.) and wonder if they know exactly how much of a tool it makes them sound.

I have a feeling Roland's going to close this very soon.

Wrong. :smalltongue: