PDA

View Full Version : Questions about hitting things.

Feralventas
2010-06-09, 02:23 AM
Heya folks. I have a couple of questions to ask, as I've yet to find a rule confirming or denying something in the D&D 3.5 system.

As I understand it, a mele atack with a weapon that a character is wielding with both hands gets double the strength modifier to damage. Would such a character also double their strength bonus toward their to-hit rolls?

1d20+(2x str_mod) +BaB= hit/miss
2d6+(2x str_mod)=damage

And if this is the case, would a character with a weak strenght score (8, putting the modifier at -1), if they were to wield a two-handed weapon above, also subtract twice from the damage (and possibly hit) rolls?

1d20-(2x str_mod) +BaB= hit/miss
2d6-(2x str_mod) =damage

Drakevarg
2010-06-09, 02:25 AM
Half-again, actually. And it only applies to damage. So if, for example, you had a STR mod of +2:

Your attack bonus with a two-handed weapon would be: BAB +2.
Your damage bonus with that weapon would be: Weapon Damage +3 (2 x 1.5 = 3).

Feralventas
2010-06-09, 02:42 AM
Thanks much (^_^).

RandomLunatic
2010-06-09, 11:03 AM
As for your second question, no. You apply half again your STR bonus, not your STR modifier. So if it not a bonus, no multiplication.

Drakevarg
2010-06-09, 05:31 PM
As for your second question, no. You apply half again your STR bonus, not your STR modifier. So if it not a bonus, no multiplication.

Pretty sure she meant bonus. I did. I mix the two up all the time. (The names, that is. Their functional differences I'm well aware of.)

Os1ris09
2010-06-09, 05:42 PM
hold on whats the difference between STR bonus and STR modifier? I mean if a score is 18 then the STR modifier is +4? Or am I misunderstanding you guys?

Greenish
2010-06-09, 05:46 PM
hold on whats the difference between STR bonus and STR modifier? I mean if a score is 18 then the STR modifier is +4? Or am I misunderstanding you guys?Negative Str modifier isn't a "bonus", and thus using a weapon two-handed with 6 Str means you get -2 to damage, not -3 (-2x1.5).