PDA

View Full Version : Channels per day by wisdom, Is it possible?

Aeromyre
2010-06-09, 12:29 PM
I know, i know i'm full of questions. As a DM my cleric player asks me if there's a way to base his channel by wisdom instead of charisma. I would think there would be a feat somewhere in some book (either 3.5 or PF)
And if this feat doesn't exist should i let him take it as a feat? or would you say that it unbalances the game?

thanks in advance

gbprime
2010-06-09, 12:53 PM
Channels? You mean Turn Undead?

That works off CHA only. If he wants more, he can spend a feat to get Extra Turning, which is good for 4 more. Does the same thing he's looking for in nearly all cases. (except things like 8 CHA and 20 WIS where the difference is 6 uses, for example)

The benefit of Extra Turning is that it applies separately to all kinds of turning, say for example from the Fire Domain. You'd get +4 turn undeads, and +4 rebuke fires. Handy.

Aeromyre
2010-06-09, 01:03 PM
No not turn or affect undead
I mean channel positive energy, i think it's a little silly that it's charisma based for a cleric, when his main stat is Wisdom

Starbuck_II
2010-06-09, 01:07 PM
You should mention you are playing Pathfinder.

Aeromyre
2010-06-09, 01:17 PM
You should mention you are playing Pathfinder.

I would think there would be a feat somewhere in some book (either 3.5 or PF)

I did but i may not have been clear

Ceaon
2010-06-09, 01:40 PM
If he wants more, he can spend a feat to get Extra Turning, which is good for 4 more.

This. Also, even a completely unoptimized cleric will perform fine as is. Giving a cleric perks should only be done if the other players are far more powerful than he is.

gbprime
2010-06-09, 02:19 PM
Giving a cleric perks should only be done if the other players are far more powerful than he is.

Which, given that he's a cleric, probably isn't the case. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2010-06-09, 02:21 PM
If you have Dragonlance (Legend of the Twins) - there is a feat called Dynamic Priest that bases your spells off Charisma instead of Wisdom. (both spells/day and spell DCs.) Your Cleric will thus become SAD and can dump Wis.

I think a lot of DMs would consider that broken though.

gbprime
2010-06-09, 03:03 PM
If you have Dragonlance (Legend of the Twins) - there is a feat called Dynamic Priest that bases your spells off Charisma instead of Wisdom. (both spells/day and spell DCs.) Your Cleric will thus become SAD and can dump Wis.

I think a lot of DMs would consider that broken though.

Huh. Cool. Wish I had that book. Great cloistered cleric/sorcerer fodder. Throw in some Mystic Wanderer for CHA to AC, add Mage Armor and Law Devotion, sweeten to taste, serve cold. :smallcool:

Fenrazer
2010-06-09, 03:08 PM
{Scrubbed}

Jarian
2010-06-09, 03:22 PM

It actually doesn't change the DCs, which takes it from good to pretty bad.

Mastikator
2010-06-09, 03:23 PM
If you're the DM you could just homebrew one instead of going though dozens of books.

Fenrazer
2010-06-09, 03:26 PM
Haha. Just for browsing purposes =-]

Kinda like reading the books at barnes and nobles or some junk

gbprime
2010-06-09, 03:33 PM

Hmm. Best used for a cleric/sorcerer then. Just offense with sorcerer and buff with cleric.

Person_Man
2010-06-09, 03:37 PM
Paladin can use the Serenity feat (Dragon Magazine), which moves all of his class abilities from Charisma to Wisdom. That's the closest I can think of.

Optimystik
2010-06-09, 03:41 PM

So it becomes a Favored Soul?

Bah.

...wait. Can Spirit Shaman take it? they already have DCs set to Cha, so it would work with them.

gbprime
2010-06-09, 03:49 PM
...wait. Can Spirit Shaman take it? they already have DCs set to Cha, so it would work with them.

That would work. Or Healer, but virtually nobody plays one of those.

Another_Poet
2010-06-09, 06:00 PM
The Extra Turning feat is 3.5. The PF equivalent is this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/extra-channel---final), which gives you 2 (not 4!) extra uses per day.

You aren't going to find anything in 3.5 because Channel Positive Energy did not exist in 3.5. It was made up for PF.

As far as I know there is nothing in PF to let Wis determine Channeling, and I wouldn't offer it to a player. From a flavor point of view Charisma makes sense - priests need to be charismatic to lead people, and certainly to destroy or command undead or perform faith healing. From a balance point, Clerics are already very strong and shouldn't get any more benefits from a high Wis than they already do.