PDA

View Full Version : Nomad Mercenaries

CN the Logos
2010-06-09, 01:08 PM
The trek south through the Eastern Desert is always a pain; carrying enough supplies to keep everyone healthy through the fortnight long walk through the badlands is a logistical nightmare, but it's the quickest way to get your herds to the fertile savannahs of the Zyrkel Pennisula in time to take advantage of the nutrient-rich grass that grows there during the summer months.

This time however, additional complications have arisen. The number of monster attacks has risen greatly in the past two years, and rumors circulate of evil things taking up residence in the desert. While most of the tribe's warriors remain behind to stand guard in case of an attack on the main camp, your group scouts about two miles ahead, looking out over the desert plains for any approaching threats. It's a dangerous job, but you're the best warriors in your tribe of plainsmen, and if anyone can face the desert night and the things that lurk in it alone, you can.

It is now two hours after sunset; the night has grown cold, the stars glitter like diamonds in an absolutely clear sky, the campfire is still going but has faded to glowing embers and a few persistent flames. Suddenly, the sound of screaming cuts through the night air.

It sounds like someone (or something) is approaching. What do you do?

Ditto
2010-06-09, 01:27 PM
Kotor

Snatching up his bow and nocking and arrow, Kotor scans the darkness for the source of the noise.

Is the screaming voice the thing we hear coming closer? Does it sound far enough away for me to have time to light my lantern?
+11 to my spot and listen checks.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 01:43 PM
Alai does much the same, drawing his blade and grabbing his shield off his back, scanning the surroundings from the back of his pitch black horse.

I have +10 to spot and listen

Devmaar
2010-06-09, 03:25 PM
Markon nocks an arrow and looks around into the shadows, searching for a threat.

Spot +11 listen +3

CN the Logos
2010-06-09, 09:50 PM
Kotor

Snatching up his bow and nocking and arrow, Kotor scans the darkness for the source of the noise.

Is the screaming voice the thing we hear coming closer? Does it sound far enough away for me to have time to light my lantern?
+11 to my spot and listen checks.

You have enough time to light the lantern, though it is, of course, not possible to hold it up while drawing your bow.

The screaming is approaching. Under the light of the half-moon you can see two apparently human forms being chased by something; and the something looks like a small pack of large, angry dogs.

Alai does much the same, drawing his blade and grabbing his shield off his back, scanning the surroundings from the back of his pitch black horse.

I have +10 to spot and listen

You hear those approaching, and can pinpoint the humanoid further from you as the source of the screaming, probably because the three dog-like creatures chasing them have nearly caught up with him (or her).

Markon nocks an arrow and looks around into the shadows, searching for a threat.

Spot +11 listen +3

That would be the dog things. The humanoids look like they're too busy running for their lives to threaten anyone.

All of you can tell that at the rate the group is moving, they'll be at your camp in just a moment, and it looks like the dogs are gaining on their prey.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 10:06 PM
Alai kicks his horse forward, charging the nearest dog-like creature.

Warhorse can move up to 100 feet on a charge.

+2 to attack -2 to AC on charge.
Double damage thanks to Spirited Charge
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]x2

mrcarter11
2010-06-09, 10:19 PM
I ready my longsword. Getting ready for a fight. I look towards the figure coming closer.

Ditto
2010-06-09, 10:42 PM
Kotor

Sighting the next nearest canine, Kotor moves 40 ft. toward the figures and lets an arrow fly.

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1] & skirmish [roll2]

Devmaar
2010-06-10, 05:09 AM
Markon urges his horse forward 40 feet and fires an arrow at the nearest dog-thing

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

CN the Logos
2010-06-10, 04:20 PM
Alai kicks his horse forward, charging the nearest dog-like creature.

The creature is hit. It howls in pain but is still standing, and turns to face its attacker.

I ready my longsword. Getting ready for a fight. I look towards the figure coming closer.

You are READY.

Kotor

Sighting the next nearest canine, Kotor moves 40 ft. toward the figures and lets an arrow fly.

The creature is hit, and looks to be badly injured, but it doesn't fall.

Markon urges his horse forward 40 feet and fires an arrow at the nearest dog-thing

Another arrow strikes the one hit by Alai. It's still standing, but is obviously in pain.

Normal initiative order resumes now.

The dog creature closest to Alai tears at his mount's leg, dealing 11 damage. It tries to pull the horse off balance but fails.

The creature hit by Kotor hesitates for an instant, then flees, headed southwest.

The two humanoids keep running towards the light of the campfire, apparently hoping to take shelter with the obviously capable warriors.

The dog-thing furthest away from the party decides to charge Markon and try the same bite/trip combination. It bites his mount, dealing 6 damage, but fails to unbalance the horse.

Up close, you can see that the creatures resemble coyotes. More specifically, they resemble coyotes roughly the size of a light horse (they're a bit shorter than a horse, but for dogs the creatures are absolutely massive), and they are obviously much more courageous than their smaller brethren.

As it retreats, the fleeing dire coyote yips in pain. From a long way off, you can hear a mournful howl in reply.

So initiative is:

Alai

Geist

Kotor

Markon

Dire Coyote 1 (threatening Alai)

Dire Coyote 2 (running away)

The people being chased.

Dire Coyote 3 (threatening Markon)

Jallorn
2010-06-10, 05:12 PM
Damn, he's calling more! Kicking his horse again, Alai charges the fleeing creature, swinging at it's legs.

5 foot step to avoid attack of opportunity, followed by a charge.
Employing the Slow Opponent gambit:

Slow Opponent: -10 attack roll
Your wound manages to harm the target’s means of locomotion. Reduce the target’s speed in one mode of your choice by –5 feet for 1 hour (minimum 0 feet). Creatures with a fly speed reduced to 0 feet cannot fly and fall if they were already flying. Creatures that have their climb or swim speed reduced to 0 feet lose the benefits of having such a speed but don’t fall or sink unless their land speed is also reduced to 0 (or if they don’t have such a speed). Burrowing creatures cannot longer burrow. A creature whose land speed is reduced to 0 falls prone on land and can drag itself 5 feet as a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity. For every 5 points by which your attack roll passes the target’s AC, increase the penalty by –5 feet. If you pass the target’s AC by at least 10 points, this penalty lasts for 24 hours. The speed reduction is ended early if the target is restored to full hit points by any means. This gambit can be applied to a single attack multiple times, targeting a different movement speed each time.
and spending 8 mastery points.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Jallorn
2010-06-10, 05:15 PM
Sorry about the double post, but I forgot to add my favored stratagem bonuses. So attack roll is 2 higher, adn I do [roll0] more damage.

Devmaar
2010-06-11, 05:41 AM
Markon urges his horse to attack the creature while drawing his scimitar, he then slashes at the beast himself.

Horse full attack and damage: [roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

My attack and damage [roll4] [roll5]

I still have my bow held in my other hand

mrcarter11
2010-06-11, 11:53 AM
Geist sheaths his sword since the enemy is being held back by his allies. He draws his bow and fires an arrow at the nearest creature.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Ditto
2010-06-11, 12:11 PM
Kotor

Kotor advances again and fires at whichever beast looks healthier at the time his chance to shoot another arrow rolls around.

[roll0]
Dmg [roll1] + [roll2]

Ditto
2010-06-11, 12:57 PM
Crit confirm & bonus damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

CN the Logos
2010-06-12, 12:49 AM
Damn, he's calling more! Kicking his horse again, Alai charges the fleeing creature, swinging at it's legs.

The coyote near Alai snaps at his mount's legs, successfully dealing 7 points of damage and pulling the horse down. Alai does manage to take the fall correctly, and is unharmed.

He is now, however, on the ground, his charge has gone nowhere, and a very irate dire coyote is now looking at him with what can only be described as savage, hungry glee.

Geist sheaths his sword since the enemy is being held back by his allies. He draws his bow and fires an arrow at the nearest creature.

The arrow narrowly misses the creature. It snarls angrily.

Markon urges his horse to attack the creature while drawing his scimitar, he then slashes at the beast himself.

The dire coyote wails in pain, but it doesn't fall yet.

Kotor

Kotor advances again and fires at whichever beast looks healthier at the time his chance to shoot another arrow rolls around.

That would be the one next to Markon. It falls dead, an arrow through its throat.

Seizing the opportunity to hurt the thing that hurt it, the dire coyote by Alai attacks him savagely, dealing 11 damage.

The second coyote continues to flee, moving sixty feet further away.

The people fleeing from the coyotes reach the camp. Realizing their pursuers have been routed (well... except for the one that's still trying to eat Alai), they halt. The one in the lead, who looks to be in better condition, looks at Geist, his expression still slightly panicked.

"Hey, you there! Got a weapon or something I could borrow?"

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 01:20 AM
Geist ignores the man and runs forward. Covering 30 feet quickly, he unleashes a torrent of flames towards the last of the coyotes.
Damage [roll0]

CN the Logos
2010-06-12, 02:34 AM
Geist ignores the man and runs forward. Covering 30 feet quickly, he unleashes a torrent of flames towards the last of the coyotes.

The coyote dies instantly as it is engulfed by flames. The smell of burnt fur and flesh fills the air as the unwary animal is fatally toasted... and it smells about how you'd expect burnt dog fur to smell. The meat might still be good though, if you were getting tired of trail rations and so on.

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 02:43 AM
"I say we eat the coyote meat, me and Alai can go and fetch the meat, sound good to you Alai"

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 07:21 AM
Hell, you can have first watch if you want. You're in charge of camp tonight, you just saved my life. Standing, and then helping his horse up, Alai adds, I'm worried about that last one though.

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 12:31 PM
"Understandable, but I wish to speak to you in private. And I can take any watch, seeing in the dark has its advantages"

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 02:17 PM
"Understandable, but I wish to speak to you in private and I cant take any watch seeing in the dark has its advantages"

ooc:This sentence confuses me...:smallconfused:

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 03:16 PM
ooc: Tis fixed

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 04:00 PM
If you're sure you don't want the easy long rest. Let's mop this up and then we can speak. Turning to the others, he says, Let's find out what we can from the runners.

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 04:09 PM
"Exactly what I wished to speak about. Are we sure we can trust them?"

Devmaar
2010-06-12, 04:12 PM
"I don't know if we can trust them but we should find out why they're in this desert alone."

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 04:14 PM
"Fair enough, who shall question them?"

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 04:38 PM
All of us. Why over complicate?

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 04:42 PM
"Alright, then let us get this started"
Gather Info [roll0]

CN the Logos
2010-06-12, 10:46 PM
The runners turn out to be humans, a male and a female. The one trailing slightly was the woman, but she was doing very well considering that she had apparently been running for some time with a bite wound on her thigh.

"We weren't alone," she says, wincing as she sits down, "Not at first anyway. There were sixteen of us, including the six bodyguards we'd hired to keep us safe on the trip. Some good that did."

The story comes out over the next two hours. The woman, Maria, and the man with her, Aleister, had been traveling north; she was looking for work, he was a chronic wanderer who had more or less decided to randomly pick a direction and head that way for awhile. They hadn't known each other before joining a group of fellow travelers.

Things had gone well up until tonight, when they had heard howling to the southwest as the sun began to set. At first no one had thought anything of it; coyotes were common in the desert and didn't generally bother travelers. Then a large group of them ("Over a dozen of the b@$tards!" Aleister cut in) had attacked en masse. The guards had managed to take out a few; but were quickly overwhelmed, and no one else was much good with a sword. Facing either near certain death in the inhospitable desert conditions or certainly certain death at the jaws of the frenzied animals, the two of them had opted for the near certainty and ran for it.

"The thing I don't get is," she says as she finishes her story, "coyotes normally don't hunt in big groups like that, I've heard. You hear about the really big ones that show up every so often due to magic or whatever, but even they don't usually run in groups like that, do they? And they looked like... I know, this seems strange... like something was telling them what to do."

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 10:52 PM
Demons are not dead. If you'd like, you can ride with our tribe for a time. Don't expect the warmest welcome, but if you help out you'll be welcome before long. I can send word that you're headed in their direction. They're that way. Afraid you'd have to walk though, and we can't stay. You can't stay with us either, we have to move fast, we have a job to do. And I'd like to hunt down the rest of those coyotes.

mrcarter11
2010-06-12, 11:53 PM
"I say we break camp early and head out to slaughter the beasts. And if there is something magical behind all this, then we need to go to the source of the problem."

Devmaar
2010-06-13, 10:16 AM
"Let me have a look at your leg" says Markon to Maria. He attempts to treat the wound
Heal check: [roll0]

CN the Logos
2010-06-14, 12:17 AM
"Let me have a look at your leg" says Markon to Maria. He attempts to treat the wound

The wound is ugly, and had it been left untreated it probably would have gotten infected. Fortunately however, it isn't very deep, and you're able to get it patched up fairly quickly.

After you're done, Maria seems thoughtful for a few moments. Then she speaks.

"Say... I was traveling to find work. Your tribe wouldn't have any use for another brewer of potions and crafter of magical charms, would it? I figure I could stay with your people until I found a place I wanted to settle, and in exchange for food and materials I could create things for you. I mean, I'm no legendary wizard, but I could help with a lot of little things."

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 12:20 AM
Alai smiles at her, There's always room for any kind of help in the tribe. We are a community, not a city.

CN the Logos
2010-06-15, 12:18 AM
The rest of the night passes without incident. Though howling can be heard in the distance, the coyotes keep their distance.

As dawn breaks, and the sunlight overwhelms the flickering aurora cast by the Tower of Barzai, you are faced with the decision of how to begin tracking down the remaining coyotes, as well as anything that might be driving them to act so contrary to their natural instincts.

Make your preparations for the day and decide how you want to begin the hunt.

Devmaar
2010-06-15, 05:10 AM
After eating any left over coyote meat for breakfast Markon announces,

"I'm going to see if I can find tracks left by that Coyote that escaped"
and walks in that direction.
Survival check: If possible I take 20 for a total of 29, otherwise,
[roll0]

Ditto
2010-06-15, 08:15 AM
Kotor mutely heads after Markon to assist.

I"ll give a +2 Aid another to his check... or maybe he'll do it to my check, since I have a +11 modifier. Also doing the take 20 thing if I can.
[roll0]

Jallorn
2010-06-15, 11:33 AM
Alai addresses the newcomers, The tribe is about two days ride that way, he says gesturing, The dangers of the land should be mostly cleared, although there was a wolf tribe we didn't bother about. They'll be moving towards us as you move towards them, so you could wait, but this area isn't safe yet. One last word of warning, we deal harshly with thieves.

mrcarter11
2010-06-15, 11:51 AM
I take the morning time to bind amon. I take the 10 for the role.
Ooc: since I am doing this all on my phone, I can't do the spoiler tag or rolls.

CN the Logos
2010-06-16, 01:48 AM
Alai addresses the newcomers, The tribe is about two days ride that way, he says gesturing, The dangers of the land should be mostly cleared, although there was a wolf tribe we didn't bother about. They'll be moving towards us as you move towards them, so you could wait, but this area isn't safe yet. One last word of warning, we deal harshly with thieves.

Aleister nods.

"You don't have to worry about us, sir. We're just grateful to be alive, uneaten, and not dying alone of thirst. Come on, Maria, let's get going."

They head off into the distance, him whistling a tune he probably considers jaunty and Maria limping after him at a steady pace, carrying a piece of brush she'd found to use as a walking stick.

I take the morning time to bind amon. I take the 10 for the role.

Operation: Disgruntled Former Sun God is go!

After eating any left over coyote meat for breakfast Markon announces,

"I'm going to see if I can find tracks left by that Coyote that escaped"
and walks in that direction.

Kotor mutely heads after Markon to assist.

Working together, the two of you are easily able to follow the trail left by the dire coyotes. They lead southwest, towards what anyone with a basic knowledge of the area would recognize as the long abandoned city of Tarascon.

You arrive in the ruined city by about three in the afternoon. Most of it has been in ruins for the past seven hundred years, since the water source that fed the city dried up. However, the city's temple still stands, carved into a mesa about half a mile across and fifty feet tall. It was looted long ago, but the structure could still serve as a shelter for people (or creatures) looking to get out of the desert heat during the day.

The tracks lead to the area directly in front of the temple before the ground becomes too hard to see them anymore. About a hundred feet in front of you is a artificial pool, about thirty-five by fifteen feet across, that still has water somehow despite being in the middle of the desert. It is lined by stone monoliths of some kind, five on each side. Ten feet beyond that is a semicircle of similar monoliths, and about thirty feet past that is the temple entrance.

Of course, the most immediate thing to come to your attention is the pile of corpses lying about twenty-five to thirty feet in front of the pool. It's hard to tell exactly how many there are from this far away, but it looks like there's a lot of them.

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 01:52 AM
Kotor, take the horses a safe distance away and then tie them up, we'll wait here.

OOC: my rational is that Kotor is the fastest on foot, and I don't want the horses to be eaten by coyotes. Yes that would be a jerk DM move, but it occurred to me, and would likely occur to Alai.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 09:04 AM
Kotor leads the horses back and secures them as Alai asks, then returns to the group.

"How do you suppose that water is being preserved?"

Kn: Nature [roll0]
Kn: Geography [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Devmaar
2010-06-16, 09:14 AM
Markon draws his bow and waits to follow Alai's lead.

CN the Logos
2010-06-16, 02:26 PM
Kotor, take the horses a safe distance away and then tie them up, we'll wait here.

OOC: my rational is that Kotor is the fastest on foot, and I don't want the horses to be eaten by coyotes. Yes that would be a jerk DM move, but it occurred to me, and would likely occur to Alai.

Hey, coyotes have to eat too, man. Am I a jerk just for thinking about the poor, poor coyotes? ...Nevermind.

Kotor leads the horses back and secures them as Alai asks, then returns to the group.

"How do you suppose that water is being preserved?"

You remember that this area was once an oasis, long ago. An underground river runs through this area, and once fed an aquifer that provided the city with water for years before it dried up. Perhaps this pool was fed by it, and the water currently in it is a sign that the aquifer has finally recharged due to the lack of use, or perhaps this is a sign of construction in the area, of someone with technology superior to that of the original builders deepening the wells to provide the current inhabitants with water.

In any case, it doesn't look like whoever created this water source cares much about maintaining it; The water is green and opaque, and algae coats the sides of the pool. It stinks, its own smell mixing with that of the bodies, creating a ghastly stench of decay.

mrcarter11
2010-06-16, 11:31 PM
"Well, I think we should get to it, and kill these dam animals"

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 01:08 AM
"Does your lack of agreenece mean you guys have other plans?"

Devmaar
2010-06-18, 07:05 AM
"No. I think the sooner these beasts are gone the sooner this place is safe for the tribe."

Ditto
2010-06-18, 08:34 AM
"Right. Let's see if we can move up to the entrance and find some signs of life around here." Kotor will take point, stalking ahead toward where the tracks end.

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Move silently [roll2]

Devmaar
2010-06-18, 10:19 AM
Markon nocks an arrow and watches the entrance carefully.

Readies an action Gets ready to shoot any coyote that appears in the entrance

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 02:16 PM
Let's move in. Alai follows right behind Kotor, his sword and shield ready.

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 02:30 PM
"You guys think maybe I should lead. I can in darkness and I don't wish to injury any of one with my fire breath.

Ditto
2010-06-18, 02:46 PM
"Follow close behind me - I shall surely retreat to the protection of our numbers if I encounter any resistance.

Doesn't much matter, cuz we'll find whatever we'll find, but I have the keenest eyes and ears. Just seems like a Scout is most suited to being the group scout. :smallsmile: Basically stalking forward to find out what CN has in store for us inside.

Devmaar
2010-06-18, 06:29 PM
Markon follows the others, keeping a few paces behind.

CN the Logos
2010-06-18, 08:24 PM
As you make your way around the murky water, it begins to ripple slightly; Alai and Markon spot it first, and have just enough time to give a warning before two massive crustaceans, each with dozens of feathery, flat legs and wicked looked jaws, burst out of the water. Apparently they think you're here to feed them, one way or another.

Initiative Order:
Alai
Geist
Brine Creature 1
Brine Creature 2
Kotor
Markon

You can declare what you're going to do as soon as you read this post, and I'll resolve things in order either as soon as everyone's posted or shortly after noon tomorrow, whichever comes first.

Devmaar
2010-06-18, 08:34 PM
Markon moves so he is 30' from the creatures before firing two arrows at the nearest.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Devmaar
2010-06-18, 08:35 PM
Forgot damage: [roll0]
[roll1]

Crit confirm: [roll2]

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 08:37 PM
I draw my sword.. and I send a jet of flame towards the monsters
Damage [roll0]

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 09:12 PM
Alai steps towards the nearest crustacean, and swings at the creature's leg.

[roll0] -15 for Lasting Wounds, +10 for Mastery Points
[roll1]+[roll2]Int damage

Lasting Wounds: -15 attack roll (-20 if targeting Constitution)
Your attack delivers serious wounds to your enemy. You deal 1d4 ability damage to an ability score of your choice (chosen as you attack). For every 5 points by which your attack roll passes the target’s AC, deal 1 extra ability damage. This gambit may be applied multiple times to a single attack, targeting a different ability score each time.

Ditto
2010-06-19, 12:56 PM
Kotor moves within 30 feet also and looses an arrow to strike at a joint of the crab Alai is not fighting.

Atk , Dmg [roll]1d8+4d6+3

Ditto
2010-06-19, 12:58 PM
I guess it only lets you roll 1 die type per roll...
Dmg [roll0] + [roll1]

CN the Logos
2010-06-19, 04:03 PM
Alai steps towards the nearest crustacean, and swings at the creature's leg.

The creature twists its body in a way that would seem impossible if it weren't doing it, and the sword hits nothing but air.

I draw my sword.. and I send a jet of flame towards the monsters
Damage [roll0]

It does not, however, see the fire coming. It hisses in pain as it burns, but keeps attacking. It attempts to bite at Alai, but its jaws catch nothing but air.

The other darts towards Geist and attempts to bite, but it also fails to connect; perhaps hunger is affecting the RNG these creatures adversely?

Kotor moves within 30 feet also and looses an arrow to strike at a joint of the crab Alai is not fighting.

The creature facing Geist contorts in agony as the arrow strikes home. It isn't downed yet, but it looks severely injured.

Markon moves so he is 30' from the creatures before firing two arrows at the nearest.

That would be the one that had tried to attack Geist. The first arrow hits leg, making it twitch, and the second hits it in the eye, felling it.

mrcarter11
2010-06-19, 04:54 PM
I move towards the next creature. And swing my sword at it.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Devmaar
2010-06-19, 07:01 PM
Markon fires two arrows at the other creature.

attack1- [roll0] damage1- [roll1]
attack2- [roll2] damage2- [roll3]

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 02:46 PM
This one will fall, Alai says as he takes a step towards it and stabs straight into the creature's mouth.

Attack: [roll0] using 10 mastery points.
Damage:[roll1]

Ditto
2010-06-21, 08:51 AM
Kotor moves 20' laterally to gain a better angle on the second crab, and drops another arrow into its carapace for good measure.

[roll0], [roll1] + [roll2] Dmg

mrcarter11
2010-06-21, 03:55 PM
Longsword attack.. again.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

CN the Logos
2010-06-21, 05:43 PM
This one will fall, Alai says as he takes a step towards it and stabs straight into the creature's mouth.

It recoils in pain, but doesn't fall yet.

I move towards the next creature. And swing my sword at it.

Your sword strikes the creature, but bounces off its carapace without doing any real damage.

The creature snaps at Alai, but misses.

Kotor moves 20' laterally to gain a better angle on the second crab, and drops another arrow into its carapace for good measure.

A near miss. The creature's thrashing throws off what would have been a perfect shot, and the arrow glances off its armor before flying away harmlessly.

Markon fires two arrows at the other creature.

attack1- [roll0] damage1- [roll1]
attack2- [roll2] damage2- [roll3]

The first arrow strikes true. The creature turns to face its attacker, just in time for the second arrow to hit it in the throat. It falls.

The fight is over, and there is nothing else stopping you from entering the temple or exploring the surrounding area a bit more. Still, you have the oddest sensation of being watched...

Jallorn
2010-06-21, 05:48 PM
Alai wipes the blood off his sword with a rag, Let's keep moving, this place isn't normal, and I want it cleared out before the tribe passes by.

let me know if my character gets a bit too bossy, I'm trying to play the leader type, but I don't want to go overboard.

mrcarter11
2010-06-21, 05:56 PM
"Eh, lets get going.. More things to kill"
I seem to normally take well to leadership roles .. But you asked for this game and what not, so I figured I'd let you run the show..

CN the Logos
2010-06-22, 11:48 PM
The entrance to the temple is about five feet across and ten feet high. You can see clearly for fifteen feet inside the temple, and illumination is shadowy for a few feet further past that. After taking a moment to adjust your eyes to the gloom and hopefully keep enough of your vision about you to see any further attempts at surprise attacks coming, you step inside. As your eyes adjust, you can see that this is the temple entrance hall (obviously). The room is dominated by four massive pillars that reach from the floor to the ceiling. It is about twenty-five feet wide, and goes back about the same distance before reaching a wall, a door in the center of that wall, and two corridors on either side of it. There's another, smaller door about ten feet to your right, and a similar door ahead and to your left. A quick glance upward reveals what is like a holy symbol on the ceiling, though it seems as if something has taken the time to deface it.

You make it about five steps into the temple foyer before you are hailed by the sound of flapping wings and a feminine voice. A four foot tall winged female creature, resembling an elemental humanoid with wings, horns, and bronze skin greets you from fifteen feet in the air.

"Halt! Show some respect and remove your shoes. This is holy ground!"

Jallorn
2010-06-22, 11:55 PM
Gesturing with his sword, Alai says, I have no time for respect, there is evidence that this place is, at the very least, harboring great danger. I have lives to worry about, and until I am satisfied, even you are suspect. If my suspicions are proven wrong, I will show the proper respect and leave peacefully, but until then, I have greater concerns. Not the least of which being this place. It is unnatural, I can feel it.

mrcarter11
2010-06-22, 11:57 PM
I stand beside Alai, with my sword drawn. Ready for anything
Does my dark vision help me at all?

Devmaar
2010-06-23, 10:21 AM
Markon keeps his bow drawn, with an arrow notched, but keeps it aimed towards the floor so as to seem less threatening an d not undermine Alai's attempt at diplomacy.

Ditto
2010-06-23, 10:50 AM
Kotor gestures to the ceiling and adds to Alai's declaration, "It seems you've had problems of your own, steward."

CN the Logos
2010-06-23, 04:27 PM
Gesturing with his sword, Alai says, I have no time for respect, there is evidence that this place is, at the very least, harboring great danger. I have lives to worry about, and until I am satisfied, even you are suspect. If my suspicions are proven wrong, I will show the proper respect and leave peacefully, but until then, I have greater concerns. Not the least of which being this place. It is unnatural, I can feel it.

"It is unnatural," she agrees. "It was once a temple, and is now a tomb where we creatures of the wasteland meditate on times past, near the remains of a mortal who reached for true greatness, only to be destroyed in her moment of triumph by the one she held dearest."

She looks wistful at this, as if her words bring up nostalgic memories.

"If you want, I can take you to my master, the keeper of this place. But you must show respect and remove your shoes."

Kotor gestures to the ceiling and adds to Alai's declaration, "It seems you've had problems of your own, steward."

She shakes her head.

"When my master and I arrived, that damage was already done. I find it rather shameful, but I know nothing of stonework and don't have the resources to repair it."

mrcarter11
2010-06-23, 04:31 PM
"I shall consent." *Removes boots*

Ditto
2010-06-23, 09:16 PM
Kotor also complies. What's so bad about some dusty flagstones, eh?

Jallorn
2010-06-28, 01:24 AM
With a sigh of defeat, Alai removes his boots, though he keeps them with him.

Devmaar
2010-06-28, 05:35 AM
Markon nods and removes his boots.

CN the Logos
2010-07-01, 02:34 PM
Smiling, the creature gestures for you to follow her, then leads you through the large door at the back of the room.

The next room you enter is massive by comparison, its vaulted ceiling appearing tall enough for a small grove of trees to live here if they had a source of water and sunlight. Obviously, no such sources exist, and the actual contents of the room are mostly rubble, consisting mostly of what must have once been pews for the temple's faithful before someone smashed them all. The only clear path is straight down the center; the rest of the room could be maneuvered in, but not quickly or easily.

At the south end of the room (you entered the temple and this particular room from the north), is a great dais, eight feet tall, where the priest must have once stood. Cutting across it is a vast curtain that looks as if it's made out of palm fronds. The only stairs are, once again, in the center.

"Lord Jarazim!" the elemental girl calls. "We have visitors, who were kind enough to respect the sanctity of this place. They wish to speak with you!"

The palm frond curtain twitches twice, than is pushed aside by a massive form. The creature that emerges has a body like that of a lion, but a dog-like head and wings like that of an eagle. It stares at you and the elemental girl with contempt before speaking.

"I am Jarazim, ninth generation child of Kallen Merru and lord of this desert, by both birthright and strength of arms. Who are you, and what do you want with me?"

Jallorn
2010-07-01, 02:49 PM
We were tracking some rather large coyotes that presented us with quite a battle yesterday. As the vanguard for our people it is our task to remove any serious threats, and these coyotes qualify. We tracked them here, and now, I am wondering, quite impartially, whether or not you are a threat.

Devmaar
2010-07-01, 05:48 PM
Markon nods in support of Alai. He also positions himself to have clear line fire to both the elemental and 'Lord Jarazim', just in case, though he keeps his bow pointed down.

CN the Logos
2010-07-02, 12:52 AM
We were tracking some rather large coyotes that presented us with quite a battle yesterday. As the vanguard for our people it is our task to remove any serious threats, and these coyotes qualify. We tracked them here, and now, I am wondering, quite impartially, whether or not you are a threat.

Jarazim can't quite form a smile in the way humanoids can, but he clearly smirks at this.

"By all rights, I should be. You killed three of my children last night, and I'm guessing you took care of my guards on your way in. But I understand, you were fighting for your own lives, and my children are, unfortunately, almost as stupid as their mothers. No grasp of any tactics much more advanced than an ordinary dog's.

"If you're willing to assist me with a problem that's come up lately though, I could ensure the safety of your people. There would also be money involved; a bit from me as payment, a bit from the source of the problem itself once its been taken care of. Are you interested?"

Jallorn
2010-07-02, 01:06 AM
You certainly seem a reasonable creature, and I make it a point to avoid murdering reasonable creatures when I can, especially when they are clearly dangerous. In short, I'm listening.

CN the Logos
2010-07-03, 09:27 PM
You certainly seem a reasonable creature, and I make it a point to avoid murdering reasonable creatures when I can, especially when they are clearly dangerous. In short, I'm listening.

"Well. There are a few artifacts hidden in this temple, which have been in my family for generations. They don't have any magical power worth mentioning, but they're precious to me because of their connection to the life of Kallen Merru, the creator of my kind.

"However, our maker was prolific, to say the least. Currently I find myself in negotiations with a leader of the dog-men from the western desert, who claim descent from the same Magess. I've got no quarrel with most of his kind, but I will not give up my heirlooms to him, and he's a religious fanatic who believes that he must have them as part of some sort of plan to enthrone our maker as a deity. He's being polite right now, but I've seen a camp of his followers about thirty miles southeast of here, and I believe he plans to have them attack me fairly soon if I don't give him what he wants.

"What I'd like is to make a preemptive strike against the group gathered there without their master tracing it back to me. The four of you are probably strong enough to take the camp out on your own, but I'll send Elena," he gestures to be elemental girl, "with you; her wings can aid you with scouting out their positions. Once you've taken out enough of them for us to be certain of a total victory, I'll appear with a few of my children and help you finish them off; I want none of them left alive."

Jallorn
2010-07-03, 09:40 PM
Alai shakes his head, We don't have the time for such action, nor am I willing to risk my people's safety for something that costs me more than it gains. I can contact my tribe though, we have mercenaries among us whose services my father would gladly sell to you, I am sure. If you are willing to wait a day or two we can have twenty of our brethren here to aid you for a small price. Is this agreeable?

CN the Logos
2010-07-04, 12:26 PM
Alai shakes his head, We don't have the time for such action, nor am I willing to risk my people's safety for something that costs me more than it gains. I can contact my tribe though, we have mercenaries among us whose services my father would gladly sell to you, I am sure. If you are willing to wait a day or two we can have twenty of our brethren here to aid you for a small price. Is this agreeable?

"Possibly, although you are aware that I would have to take into account the deaths of my children and guards, and the fact that I believe you are probably stronger than any of the subsitutes you will send me when I am discussing price.

"And I will warn you, there's a fair chance you might end up coming into conflict with them eventually anyway. Pious Wisdom, their leader, believes intelligent life not engineered or modified by our creator to be outdated, flawed, and a waste of resources best used by superior beings. There has been... rhetoric... about reclaiming those resources. I do not care what my children eat, but neither do I promote genocide."

Jallorn
2010-07-04, 12:35 PM
If that happens, then we will deal with it. For now however, we need to resume our duties as scouts, our people are depending on us, and we have no higher calling. I will however contact my tribe now, and drawing forth the stone, Alai begins to relate the necessary information.

CN the Logos
2010-07-09, 02:38 AM
Once he's seen you relay his requests, Jarazim nods and retires behind his palm curtain, telling Elena to escort you out. Bowing her head to each of you in turn, she thanks you for your courtesy and warns you again that Jarazim's frenemies might decide to attack you for being too human.

"You may not believe it," she says, "since we didn't get to talk much, but I enjoyed meeting you. Most of the visitors we've had for the last fifty years have been more hostile. It's good to see a warrior who understands that stabbing things isn't the only answer.

"Since you didn't take Lord Jarazim's job offer, I can't offer you much assistance, but he's probably going to have me carry a message to them this afternoon, to try to keep up appearences as long as possible. If I see them preparing to attack you en masse, I'll try to slip out quietly to warn you. Good day to you, and may the gods bless your journey."

Jallorn
2010-07-09, 01:27 PM
Alai bows his head respectfully, then turns to Kotor, Where did you tie up the horses?

Ditto
2010-07-09, 01:51 PM
"They are tethered under some date trees on the far side of the oasis. I can retreive them if we're ready to move on."

Jallorn
2010-07-09, 01:58 PM
Lead the way please.

CN the Logos
2010-07-14, 03:31 AM
The night after your talk with Jarazim and his minion is uneventful, as is the next day's trip across the wasteland, and it almost seems as if your troubles are over after the negotiations with the bizarre sphinx.

That night, however, just after midnight, the person on watch hears a strange noise in the distance. It's hard to tell what it is, but it sounds human. Laughter maybe, or sobbing...

mrcarter11
2010-07-14, 04:12 AM
I stare into the distance, trying to find a source.
Listen [roll0]
Spot[roll1]

CN the Logos
2010-07-17, 02:44 AM
I stare into the distance, trying to find a source.
Listen [roll0]
Spot[roll1]

The strange laughter/sobbing (it sounds like someone is doing both at once, now that you really listen to it) is coming from the north, but all you can see is an indistinct shape in the distance. It looks vaguely humanoid, but it's too far away to tell for sure.

mrcarter11
2010-07-17, 07:30 AM
I start yelling towards the others to wake them up.. All the while trying to figure out what exactly it is making the noise.

Devmaar
2010-07-18, 08:21 AM
Markon jumps up and grabs his bow

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Jallorn
2010-07-18, 01:44 PM
Quiet! says Alai harshly. You know better than to give away our position.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

mrcarter11
2010-07-19, 10:30 PM
Stares at Alai while shaking his head.. "Wake the other"

CN the Logos
2010-07-20, 07:45 PM
I start yelling towards the others to wake them up.. All the while trying to figure out what exactly it is making the noise.

Quiet! says Alai harshly. You know better than to give away our position.

The laughter/sobbing increases in volume. You can clearly hear it now, like its source is in agonizing pain, but finds something immensely funny despite that.

Markon jumps up and grabs his bow

You see a shape, humanoid but curiously warped, about a thousand feet away. It's very tall, about seven feet, and its limbs seem a bit too long for its frame, but you can't tell much more because of the darkness.

Devmaar
2010-07-21, 04:28 AM
Keeping his bow aimed towards the figure Markon cautiously moves forward.

Jallorn
2010-07-21, 11:22 AM
Alai draws his sword and shield, kicking the others if they're not already up, then moves towards the figure himself.

CN the Logos
2010-07-24, 12:21 AM
Keeping his bow aimed towards the figure Markon cautiously moves forward.

Alai draws his sword and shield, kicking the others if they're not already up, then moves towards the figure himself.

The thing looks like a fresh corpse. Exactly how fresh is hard to tell, as it has been flayed completely. Its cheeks have been slashed open to create a grotesque smile, and seven large bone needles have been embedded in its chest. It giggles strangely, and moves towards you.

Initiative:
Markon - 12
Kotor - 8
Alai - 5
Geist - 3
Monster - 3 (lost tiebreaker reroll)

Devmaar
2010-07-24, 09:11 AM
Markon fires off two arrows

[roll0] damage [roll1]
[roll2] damage [roll3]

mrcarter11
2010-07-24, 09:42 AM
I look at it for a brief second. Then, try to light it on fire.
Damage:[roll0]

Ditto
2010-07-27, 03:32 PM
Kotor strides toward the corpse creature and looses an arrow.

Atk: [roll0] Dmg: [roll1] (+[roll2] if it is within 30 ft.)

Jallorn
2010-07-29, 01:23 AM
How far away is the figure?