PDA

View Full Version : Onward, to GURPS!

Enguhl
2010-06-09, 02:01 PM
So I recently picked up the Basic Set books for GURPS (4e) and, while I like what I see, it seems a bit complicated to just spring on my group.
I was wondering if there are any 'quick rules' or even sample characters floating around so I can ease the group into it.

On a side note, any general tips for a first time GURPS GM?

valadil
2010-06-09, 02:06 PM
The basic mechanics aren't that complicated. Roll 3d6. Make sure it's under your stat. Really not all that bad.

What's complicated is character creation. I'd advise either handing out pregen characters or using a program to help build the characters. I've been playing GURPs for years and still rely on software for help.

My advice for GURPs is to limit what rules you use. This is less important with the basic set but if you start picking up extra books you'll find that GURPs always has more rules. The quality of any given GURPs game depends on the set of rules selected to represent that game. We do a lot of fantasy in my group, so the GM includes hit locations. We weren't big on martial arts though, so unarmed combat forms are left out. We usually just have brawling for characters who don't want weapons.

Enguhl
2010-06-09, 02:16 PM
The basic mechanics aren't that complicated. Roll 3d6. Make sure it's under your stat. Really not all that bad.

What's complicated is character creation. I'd advise either handing out pregen characters or using a program to help build the characters. I've been playing GURPs for years and still rely on software for help.

Yeah, I guess character creation (and in that note, enemy creation) are my main concern. I could pump out some pre-generated characters, maybe leave a few points open for customization. But I'm also very new to the system so I think it will be hard for me to create challenge appropriate encounters.

Anyone happen to know of a sample adventure kind of thing I could look at, or maybe post ideas of your own.

valadil
2010-06-09, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I guess character creation (and in that note, enemy creation) are my main concern. I could pump out some pre-generated characters, maybe leave a few points open for customization. But I'm also very new to the system so I think it will be hard for me to create challenge appropriate encounters.

I haven't GMed it myself but the GMs in my group say that NPCs are pretty easy. You don't stat them fully. We had one GM who tried that. He ended up with hideously unbalanced encounters because all the NPCs could do was fight, whereas the PCs had non combat skills. Look at the fight stats your players have. Maybe write down a range of weapon skills and defenses. Your average NPC will probably fall in a similar range. Just make them up and roll with it. See how it plays out.

The more I think about it the more I like pregen characters. Writing them up will give you more familiarity with the system. Maybe use those for a one shot intro to GURPs and then let the players make their own characters once they have a feel for the game.

Satyr
2010-06-09, 04:57 PM
Either campaigns or characters include several templates for characters, which are a good orientation for both players and creating NPC. Yes, usually you will only need a few core skills/abilities for most NPC, so that's not that difficult. But since building suitable NPC is a good practice to get a hand on the system, I suggest to try and build some extremely normal, low-powered NPC extras. High Power stuff is simple and not much of a challenge, but building something like an ordinary street cop or a barkeep is actually a bit more challenging, and for the most campaigns, more useful.

fusilier
2010-06-09, 09:56 PM
Hmm, it doesn't look like anybody has mentioned this yet. Might want to look at GURPS Lite. It's free for download (and typically free when you find it in print). It's basically a barebones version. I think it's only 32 pages, and you can technically run a game with it. The skills, ads, disads lists are much shorter so there's not so many overwhelming options. It's also an easy thing to distribute to new players. Perhaps the best way to describe it is a concise introduction to GURPS.

Good luck.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-09, 09:57 PM
Go here: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/

Get GURPS Lite.

Go here for lots of free stuff: http://e23.sjgames.com/search.html?price_lo=0&price_hi=0

Here: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-4001
you can find reasonably priced character creation software.

fusilier
2010-06-09, 10:05 PM

Anyone happen to know of a sample adventure kind of thing I could look at, or maybe post ideas of your own.

Yeah, I found that determining penalties and properly statting NPCs took a little while. You really have to know what the player characters are going to be before you can design the NPCs. For me it takes some practice if I haven't been GMing for a while. So expect the first couple of sessions to be kind of "experimental" but you should pick it up fairly quickly. If your NPCs are too powerful, you might need to "pull your punches" until you get them sorted out.

I sometimes start my campaigns with a minor adventure, before I introduce the main plot of the campaign. It gives me a session or two to get things calibrated, and get a feel for the party's strengths and weaknesses.

mucat
2010-06-09, 11:34 PM
As Valadil said, don't worry about statting NPCs completely. Instead, focus on their personalities, and then decide on the fly what skills they have, as they need 'em. My guide is:

Skill Level
8: The character has done this at least once; better than default, or maybe IS at default with significant natural talent

10: Interested Amateur

12: Could earn a living with this skill

14: People who earn a living at this skill look up to you.

16: People who earn a living at this skill idolize you.

18: Those people who professionals idolize? They look up to you.

20: Those people who professionals idolize? They idolize you.

If a skill is Easy, people will have slightly higher levels in it. If Very Hard, slightly lower.

So whatever skill becomes relevant, you just think of the personality and background of each of your NPCs, and decide on the fly.

Suppose your characters are matching wits with Hans the seasoned mercenary, Jennifer the science prodigy, and Suki the daredevil. You've given some thought to all three of their personalities and histories. Now, as the game progresses, various skills come into play:

Rifle? Hans will have 15; if he were merely "professional", he'd be dead now.. Jennifer 10; she grew up hunting. Suki has never handled a gun.

Motorcycle? Hans 12. If it moves, he's used it to stay alive. Jennifer 8; she sometimes borrowed a housemate's Vespa in grad school. Suki 18; she breathes motorcycles. (Not recommended; the exhaust can cause lung cancer.)

Parachronic Physics? Hand and Suki wouldn't know where to start. Jennifer 16; not quite the best in the field, but those who are the best listen to her ideas.

...and so on.

warmachine
2010-06-10, 04:34 AM
Those skill level descriptions could do with work.
8: Casual hobby or briefly studied at school.
10: Maintained hobby or student level.
12: Paid professional.
14: Seasoned professional.
16: Acknowledged expert or consultant.
18: World ranked expert.
20: Once in a generation genius.