PDA

View Full Version : Final build and wanting advice for finishing touches:

Os1ris09
2010-06-09, 02:26 PM
Ok so here is the build with feats:

Human Warlock 4/Cleric 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 8/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Disciple 2

Feats
Flaw: Point Blank Shot
Flaw: Extra Turning
Domain: Extend Spell
1st: Extra Turning
Human: Precise Shot
3rd: Persist Spell
6th: DMM Persist
9th: Maximize (EB)
12: Quicken [Maximize (EB)]
15: DMM extend
18: Extra Turning

Invocations:
All Seeing Eyes
Chilling Tentacles
Baleful Utterance
Eldritch Chain
Fell Flight
See the Unseen
Vitriolic Blast
and two others of the GITP suggestions that are greater and below.

What would you change to the build and what not. Have fun tearing it apart GITP I can't wait to see the suggestions you offer. :smallbiggrin:

FinalJustice
2010-06-09, 02:41 PM
Before the Swordsages come in: Lacks Eldritch Glaive. I'd toss in Eldritch Cone, for a wide area nuke. Or Flee the Scene, yes, do this! Can't really pass Flee the Scene. It's just too good.

Oh yeah, dip Binder and bind Naberius to heal Con Damage. Fits thematically with the Ur-Priest and it's too good.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-09, 03:22 PM
You are forgetting hellrime blast, it is a pre-requisite for Hellfire Warlock and +1 to flee the scene

Optimystik
2010-06-09, 03:29 PM
As FinalJustice said: needs more Binder.

Drop Cleric 1 for it. You can't keep the turning from it anyways, because you have to become an Ex-Cleric to be an Ur-Priest, and Ex-Clerics lose turning.

Binder will give you the fort save you need for Ur-Priest.

Person_Man
2010-06-09, 03:40 PM
I'm a huge proponent of Binder as well. But if you prefer you can take a level of Incarnate (or spend 2 feats) for the Strongheart Vest soulmeld instead, which also reduces ability damage.

Or you can just load up on wands of restoration, and hope that your Con doesn't run out before combat ends.

Also, do you really need Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot? It seems as if you'll be making buffed touch attacks. I'm sure there are better things to spend your feats on.

Keld Denar
2010-06-09, 03:41 PM
You probably don't need DMM Extend. You can only apply 1 Divine feat at a time, so you couldn't DMM Extend AND DMM Persist a spell at the same time. Extend is only +1 level, so generally anything you need Extended, you can Extend the normal way, or, if you are really hard up, a Rod of Extend is pretty cheap, given that its only a +1 adjustment.

The high level Dispel Magic invocation is pretty fun, especially if you combine it with Divine Defiance (FCII). That allows you to reactively counter as many spells as you have left over Rebuke attempts with a good chance at success, assuming you don't DMM all of your Rebuke attemps away.

Os1ris09
2010-06-09, 04:47 PM
The feats can be switched around. I can't do binder because this is already pushing my DM's nerves with this build and if I throw in binder to heal the CON damage I will get a book thrown at my face and him yelling HELL NO in my face. :smallbiggrin: What class would you pick over cleric then if I don't get the turning from it because that was the whole point of the Cleric lvl was to get two pools of turning....

I forgot about hellrime blast so I will add that to the invocation list. Also I like flee the seen but is there anyother good invocations that help with control. The point of the build is that I do Party buffs in the morning and then use self buffs when the party is done.

So I have three free feats. I am going to get rid of Point blank shot and precise shot along with DMM extend because I forgot about the rods. :smalltongue:

Any suggestions on the things I need?

Edit: Also I have a question about the CL progression. It seems that for every level I take in ED I increase the CL in Ur-Priest by 1.5 or 2? I read the class description and all and it says you take your Ur-Priest level and add 1/2 of your CL from other classes. Therefore a warlock 4/Ur-priest 2 would have a ur priest CL of 4 am I correct? IF I am then for this build
Warlock 4/Cleric 1/Ur-Priest 2/ED 8/Hellfire Warlock 3/ED 2

the CL be the following:
Warlock CL would be 17 and would add 8 (actually 8.5) CL to UR-Priest
1.5 to Ur-Priest from HW and 5 from ED PLUS an actual 10 from Ur-Priest making it CL 25. OR Would it just be CL 18 because HW and ED add to warlock and therefore actually increasing the CL in warlock and not granting its own CL

Keld Denar
2010-06-09, 05:50 PM
If you can't do Binder, and cleric is a bad buy, then I'd go with Incarnate. It gives you the save bonus you need to qualify for Ur-Priest, the one soul meld gives you DR vs ability damage (although this might get a book in the face too...it is more subtle) and fits into any part neutral alignment, either CN or NE to work with Eld Disc.

Baring that, Duskblade makes an ok dip, 2 good saves, full BAB, and all knowledges as class skills.

Os1ris09
2010-06-09, 05:53 PM
I may go Duskblade because I don't feel like getting a book to the face. :smalltongue:

Also I have a question about the CL progression. It seems that for every level I take in ED I increase the CL in Ur-Priest by 1.5 or 2? I read the class description and all and it says you take your Ur-Priest level and add 1/2 of your CL from other classes. Therefore a warlock 4/Ur-priest 2 would have a ur priest CL of 4 am I correct? IF I am then for this build
Warlock 4/Cleric 1/Ur-Priest 2/ED 8/Hellfire Warlock 3/ED 2

the CL be the following:
Warlock CL would be 17 and would add 8 (actually 8.5) CL to UR-Priest
1.5 to Ur-Priest from HW and 5 from ED PLUS an actual 10 from Ur-Priest making it CL 25. OR Would it just be CL 18 because HW and ED add to warlock and therefore actually increasing the CL in warlock and not granting its own CL

Keld Denar
2010-06-09, 06:00 PM
The latter.

First, add up your Warlock CL. Thats 4 + 3 + 10 = 17 Half that for 8 (like you said).

Now, add up your Ur-Priest CL. That is 2 + 10 = 12 on its own. Then add in the 8 we calculated above for 12 + 8 = 20.

Thats it.

And yea, a level of Spellthief, a couple levels of an arcane caster, and the Master Spellthief feat can result in some REDICULOUS caster levels for Ur-Priest, which is delicious if you want to spam Blasphemy, but that is neither here nor there...

Os1ris09
2010-06-09, 06:02 PM
The latter.

First, add up your Warlock CL. Thats 4 + 3 + 10 = 17 Half that for 8 (like you said).

Now, add up your Ur-Priest CL. That is 2 + 10 = 12 on its own. Then add in the 8 we calculated above for 12 + 8 = 20.

Thats it.

And yea, a level of Spellthief, a couple levels of an arcane caster, and the Master Spellthief feat can result in some REDICULOUS caster levels for Ur-Priest, which is delicious if you want to spam Blasphemy, but that is neither here nor there...

Ok thanks I thought that was the CL. So the ED doesn't double dip and neither does HW. That makes sense.

Plz elaborate on the Spellthief thing..... I don't understand how this would add more of a CL than what I already have. :smallconfused:

Os1ris09
2010-06-10, 04:30 AM
two more questions:

I think I am going to take mitigate suffering as a feat since its not permanent ability recovery for damage ability scores and it may be accepted so that can help take care of the CON damage from HW.

Also am I applying the SLA feats correctly? I mean for what I understand I can just take Maximize EB and Quicken EB and just apply them simultaneously.

PId6
2010-06-10, 05:01 AM
I'd say just skip Hellfire Warlock entirely and go with Eldritch Glaive. It's too much of a hassle without some way to negate the Con loss, and you're better off with more cleric casting anyway. Take Power Attack and you'll deal great damage with full Eldritch Glaive attacks without it.

Skip Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot; you do more damage in melee anyway via Eldritch Glaive, and there's Rod of Magical Precision in Complete Mage which gives you Precise Shot for free. Also don't bother with Quicken/Maximize SLA; they're very limited per day, and the extra Persist attempt you're getting from replacing them with Extra Turnings would undoubtedly generate more damage overall.

And yes, you can use Quicken and Maximize SLA on the same EB. It's not that great though, since they're extremely limited-use. I'd rather have the Extra Turnings.

Optimystik
2010-06-10, 08:49 AM
I agree with PId6, if you can't get the Con damage mitigated then Hellfire Warlock doesn't serve much purpose and will be more likely to get you killed than be useful. You're better off with another short PrC like Paragnostic Apostle (CC) in there, that will continue advancing your EB and grant a benefit. PA doesn't give you quite as much damage as EB would but it does have some nice boosts, especially combined with Knowledge Devotion.

Os1ris09
2010-06-10, 01:28 PM
Ok I will get rid of HW then since there is pretty much no way to get rid of the damage with binder or feats. DM says you are choosing to take the damage yourself and blah blah blah... Personally I think he is being a prick but whatever.

What would you take for your Knowledge is power abilities? The only good one I can see that works well with Knowledge Devotion is Accurate Retort. Just because the bonus's stack.

In place of Precise Shot and Point Blank shot I will take two devotion feats:

Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion

I am not getting rid of the Maximize and Quicken SLA because I am liking the ability to do those three times per day. Ya I understand there limited but with our sessions three times is more than enough since I usually split between my EB damage and using hold person/monster and the like to screw the enemy.

I can see why you guys would much rather have extra turning but I am trying to limit my use of DMM persist so the DM doesn't throw the book at me and force me to remake my guy.

Keld Denar
2010-06-10, 02:09 PM
Thats called Practical Optimization. You know you COULD do something, but you refrain from such to avoid head injuries. Well done. You're a freakin Ur-Priest, you'll be fine.

The CL thing with Master Spellthief is that MST pretty much sets the arcane caster level of ALL of your arcane caster classes equal to the sum of all of your arcane caster levels. So, if you have multiple arcane caster classes, add them up, set them equal to the total, THEN sum them up to get your Ur-Priest CL, you end up with a rediculously high number. Its even worse if you can tack in a little bit of Sublime Chord, which does a similar thing to Ur-Priest. Its pretty convoluted and I don't feel like mathing it out, but I'm sure if you dig a bit through the bowels of the intarwebz, you'll find what I'm talking about.

Optimystik
2010-06-10, 02:41 PM
You're a freakin Ur-Priest, you'll be fine.

I too am thoroughly confused at the logic of a DM that bans Naberius but allows Ur-Priest. :smallconfused:

Os1ris09
2010-06-10, 03:55 PM
Thats called Practical Optimization. You know you COULD do something, but you refrain from such to avoid head injuries. Well done. You're a freakin Ur-Priest, you'll be fine.
Ok I don't know if that is a literal well done or a sarcastic well done..... A little scared there

The CL thing with Master Spellthief is that MST pretty much sets the arcane caster level of ALL of your arcane caster classes equal to the sum of all of your arcane caster levels. So, if you have multiple arcane caster classes, add them up, set them equal to the total, THEN sum them up to get your Ur-Priest CL, you end up with a rediculously high number. Its even worse if you can tack in a little bit of Sublime Chord, which does a similar thing to Ur-Priest. Its pretty convoluted and I don't feel like mathing it out, but I'm sure if you dig a bit through the bowels of the intarwebz, you'll find what I'm talking about.

I will take a look at it. To me the way you paraphrased it is very confusing but I will dig and take a better look at it and see what I come to find. :smallbiggrin:

I too am thoroughly confused at the logic of a DM that bans Naberius but allows Ur-Priest. :smallconfused:

My DM doesn't like me optimizing characters and everything so he limits it to a great extreme. Honestly the only time I try to optimize something is when it mechanically is f-ed up. Like the fighter. No spells nothing going for it so I break out the feats and feat cheese to try and bring it into some what playability.

The sheer fact that I can heal the CON damage on the same turn I dealt it to myself makes him shy away from it saying your abusing it. So basically my DM is a fan of there is a cost to everything type thing and depending on the example you either pay the cost and can't heal it with loop holes or you can... Don't really know how to put it because I don't even get it but he is GOD in the game and he has the power..... :smallfrown: