PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on a laptop

Eloel
2010-06-09, 04:24 PM
Out of highschool, going into college - with a bunch of reasons to go around the country. So, being the self-proclaimed gamer I am, I want to get a gaming computer, yet, with the 'go around alot' premise there is to college, a desktop build to spec won't work for me.

So, I need a high performance (needs to pretty much last me through the college without being 'too old to run stuff') 'desktop replacement computer' (also known as DTR or Desknote).

Important and unimportant things:

It needs to be able to run pretty much all games from now to a few years ahead.
It needs to have a big enough screen to actually see stuff. I'd say, 17" minimum?
It doesn't have to be lightweight or anything, I'm actually OK with a heavy laptop, if it gives its' worth in performance.
It doesn't need a great battery life, even half an hour to an hour would be fine with me, and that's for moving around the house/dorm/whatever.
It shouldn't be 'zomgoverpriced'. Alienware is thus out.

So, wise playground, any comments/suggestions?

Jokasti
2010-06-09, 04:37 PM
I've heard that building your own will yield the best results, but I'm not sure if this holds water.

monomer
2010-06-09, 05:52 PM
I would go with something like this 17" HP Laptop (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&a2=Screen+size&v2=Over+16.9&series_name=dv7tse_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv7tse_series) which starts at $850. I would then upgrade the graphics from the Radeon HD5470 to the Radeon HD5650 for $100, and your processor to the Core i5-430 for $50 to be able take advantage of turbo boost. This brings you to a decently fast laptop for $1000, and it would be pretty hard to get anything with better graphics at that price point.

Actually, strike that. Checking out pricing on Newegg shows me you can get better systems at comparable prices:

A similarly equipped Acer Aspire AS7740G-6364 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115763) for $800.

The ASUS N61JQ-X1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696) with the Radeon HD 5730 and a quad-core processor comes in at $1080.

The Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q860 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114796) with Geforce GTS360M comes in at $1100. This is a really fast GPU, but unlike the Radeons, it does not support DX11, which should not be a huge issue, but it is worth considering.

The next step up is the MSI GX740-079US (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152192) with the Mobility Radeon HD5870, coming in at $1400.

Edit: better systems

thorgrim29
2010-06-09, 08:35 PM
I just bought the ASUS, but it hasn't arrived yet, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it.

Syka
2010-06-09, 10:31 PM
Ok, if you plan on toting it around, weight definitely does matter. Also, invest in a nice laptop backpack (I personally love Targus). As does battery life, since on campus outlets that are near seats tend to get taken quickly.

That said, I recently acquired this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+D uo+Processor+-+Black/9701931.p?id=1218153002507&skuId=9701931) Asus and love it. Granted, I've only been using it since Monday, but it's been quite good. It's supposed to be good with games, having a discrete GPU and all, it's got a CD drive, you can overclock it, and it's 5 pounds. Some people (CNET) complained about the ultra low voltage processor it uses, but I haven't noted any difficulties yet.

It's also got an AMAZING battery life. I've clocked mine at right around 8 hours...and that is without utilizing the power saving features. For games, you should be able to get 5ish hours I'd guesstimate.

Eloel
2010-06-09, 11:48 PM
My plan on 'moving it around' is more

"I'm going around to my parents' for a week, where I'll be needing a computer. Better take my laptop with me" then

"Oh, I'm going to library, lemme carry my laptop in"

Chances of finding a power outlet in a reasonable position at home? VERY high :smallsmile:

Is there a way to NOT pay for Windows, at all? I mean, 'buy without OS' kind - I'm planning on upgrading from Windows to Linux.

Syka
2010-06-09, 11:50 PM
Not as far as I know. Unless you build your own, coming with a preinstalled OS is standard in my experience. Particularly if you are going through a retailer.

Eloel
2010-06-09, 11:59 PM
Intel Core i7-820QM Quad Core Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to3.06GHz

8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 graphics

17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Is there anything that looks like it would pull performance down? Anything that's way above the rest that it looks pointless?
Is this overpriced at 1750$ ?
This is made by customization on HP store.

The price includes a Windows 7, and Microsoft Office (bleh, Microsoft!)

Edit:

What does the playground think about Asus G53JH (http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/asus-republic-of-gamers-g73jh)?

Syka
2010-06-10, 08:24 AM
I've heard very good things about Asus' as gaming computers. Mine is actually supposed to be good with games, and it's probably even better than my desktop, lol.

Also, what is our major? Depending, you may actually end up toting it around campus. I was a classics major/psychology minor in my undergrad and my laptop basically functioned as a desktop. Heck, when I needed to replace it since it was dying, I went for a desktop. Well...when I got in to my MBA, I found I need to bring my computer EVERYWHERE with me. Suddenly weight became a loooot more important. I hated carrying around my Dell, 'cause it was so heavy and bulky.

I'm guessing for most Liberal Arts majors, you wouldn't need portability. If you are a science or business based major, you probably will. It's definitely a consideration I'll take in to account whenever I have children of college-attending age.

...although I'm hoping by then we'll have moved on to Caprica-like computer papers. ;)

Eloel
2010-06-10, 08:38 AM
Computer Science. We'll have school-provided laptops that're quite BAD on performance, so they'll act as my mobile platform.

Syka
2010-06-10, 08:53 AM
Never trust the school computers. :smallwink: I'm working at my internship as I type, which is in an unused office on my campus (the women I'm working for teaches here and her husband is a dean). The computer they have set up? Takes 15 minutes. To shut down. :smalleek: Needless to say, I use my laptop, lol.

But yeah, they should do the basic stuff you'll probably need. Just invest in an external hard drive if you don't already have one to transfer stuff. I love not having to worry about if I have enough space left on a flashdrive. :)

Sorry I can't be of more help on specs. Really all I can say is to see what games you want to run, then up the specs so it can run future games. I think with laptops the main concern is the GPU. My old Dell was ALMOST able to run Oblivion. The only thing that stopped it from working was the crappy graphics card.

mrpitchfork
2010-06-10, 10:33 AM
I suggest you get a Gateway laptop. Good specs, good price.