PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Character Creation in a Custom Campaign

Oracle_Hunter
2010-06-09, 09:17 PM
Alright, I'm rolling up a character for an "eccentric" campaign with the following rules:
Here's how I want you to do this.
1. Roll 3d6 six times and note the results.
2. If your total is 57 or less, cross out all numbers and start-over.
3. If your total is 58 or higher, assign each number to one of the following: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma.
4. I can imagine a few of you grumbling at this point. Don't worry! You've been peasants/merchants/petty nobles/etc. your whole life, and while you're attuned to the drudgery of your daily routine, it doesn't really challenge your abilities. When you start adventuring you'll be lifting/moving/working/thinking/contemplating/persuading more than every before in your lives. After a few weeks on the road, your abilities will start to reflect this lifestyle change. But at the moment, you're still the common folk.
5. Send me your results when you're finished, just so I'll have a record of where we are.

============================

PERMITTED RACES (generic D&D equivalent in parenthesis)

THE BEFELLAHN FAMILY
- Befellahn (Mountain Dwarves) = 0 fate points
-- Aton (Deep Dwarves) = 1 fate point
-- Bendrin (Hill Dwarves) = 0 fate points
-- Daemin (Badlands Dwarves) = 2 fate points
-- Durgan (Gray Dwarves / Duergar) = 2 fate points
-- Orin (Dream Dwarves) = 2 fate points
- Kantrin (Rock Gnomes) = 0 fate points
-- Ketorin (Forest Gnomes) = 2 fate points
-- Nevin (Svirfneblin) = 3 fate points
-- Ovimit (Whisper Gnomes) = 2 fate points
-- Zimbilic (Chaos Gnomes) = 2 fate points
- Shae (None or Halflings) = 0 fate points
-- Asme (~Tallfellows) = 1 fate points
-- Fimi (~Deep Halflings) = 1 fate points

THE ESTILIAN FAMILY
- Devin (Dark Elves / Drow) = 2 fate points
- Eavelin (Wood Elves / Sylvan) = 2 fate points
- Grugan (Wild Elves) = 1 fate point
- Killoren (Killoren) = 3 fate points
- Phaeruni (High Elves) = 1 fate point
- Ultrisi (Painted Elves) = 2 fate points

THE KADORN FAMILY
- Dargoti (None or Humans) = -1 fate points
- Dibli (None or Humans) = -1 fate points
- Dosseni (Skulk) = 2 fate points
- Galdoni (None or Humans) = -1 fate points
- Underfolk (Underfolk) = 2 fate points

THE KRAG FAMILY
- Anzenol (Gnoll) = 2 fate points
- Anzork (Orc) = 1 fate point
-- Anzorakim (Sharakim) = 2 fate points
-- Anzrelork (Scab Orcs) = 2 fate points
- Dorkobold (Kobold) = 0 fate points
- Dorkuli (Lizardman) = 2 fate points
- Kragoblin (Goblin) = 0 fate points
-- Krabuka (Bhuka) = 2 fate points
-- Kragoboblin (Hobgoblin) = 1 fate point
-- Kragobubin (Bugbear) = 3 fate points

THE TORORIAN FAMILY
- Senarin (None or Human) = -1 fate points
- Tororian (None or Human) = -1 fate points
- Westvalen (None or Human) = -1 fate points

HYBRID RACES
- Intrafamily Hybrid = Greater of parents' values (but always at least 1)
- Interfamily Hybrid = Sum of parents' values (but always at least 2)

============================

PERMITTED CLASSES

- Adept = 2 fate points
- Aristocrat* = 3 fate points
- Commoner = -1 fate points
- Expert = 3 fate points
- Warrior = 2 fate points

* Aristocrats can only be 1) Senarin, 2) Tororian, 3) Westvalen, 4) Estilian, or 5) Hybrids of these four races.
I have 5-8 Fate Points (secret DM number) and the following stats: 16, 14, 13, 10, 9, 7

We can pick another class at LV 2 (possibly unlimited, but probably with DM permission) and the campaign is ostensibly a "roleplaying sandbox" but considering the intricate character creation, I am somewhat skeptical.

So, what am I looking for?

I'd like a solid character progression up through 10th level. The DM said it will be a "low magic" campaign so I'd like a character that's not dependent on magic items to function. I'm leaning towards a druid of some variety, though a Steampunk Aristrocrat/Cleric might be amusing. But I'm open to anything.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-06-10, 07:50 AM
Huh, dropped to the second page.

I guess I'll drop a bump - seriously, all you 3.5 masters out there should have something to say about this.

At the very least, what race should I select assuming I'm going for Druid?

Darkxarth
2010-06-10, 09:42 AM
I'd probably suggest either a Dorkuli (Lizardfolk) or Kragoboblin (Hobgoblin) Adept if you want to go down the Druid path.

I don't think I understand all of the "-1 fate points" bits enough to suggest a hybrid of any kind, and all of the Aristocratic family is at -1. So, does that mean they are weaker, statistically? I assume so, since more powerful D&D-equivalent races seem have higher Fate Point values than weaker races. However, 5-8 Fate Points seems like quite a bit if all you are using them for is race/class combination. Maybe you should elaborate more on this aspect of the rules.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-10, 09:58 AM
Are you going to be stuck with your 1st level NPC class, or will a Warrior 1 character who hits 2nd level get to trade that out and become a Barbarian 2?

If you're going to be stuck with the NPC class, you may as well make the most of it by going Adept into either Fleshwarper from Lords of Madness or Hexer from Masters of the Wild (3.0 but usable in 3.5).

Aristocrat is decent due to skill points, proficiencies, and starting wealth. You could get a utility belt full of alchemical items, or pre-poisoned arrows (with pre-rolled checks to poison yourself), or some fairly decent armor and a masterwork weapon.

If you're going to be able to trade out your NPC class for a level of whatever you take at 2nd, you can go with whatever you want. If Druid is your flavor of choice, start out Expert 1 with all the right Druid skills and Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), then once you hit 2nd level trade that feat out for Companion Spellbond. From there it you could just go single-classed Druid, be sure to get Natural Spell at 6th level, and Natural Bond is good to get at 3rd to negate the 'level -3' for recruiting a more powerful companion at 4th.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-06-10, 06:21 PM
I don't think I understand all of the "-1 fate points" bits enough to suggest a hybrid of any kind, and all of the Aristocratic family is at -1. So, does that mean they are weaker, statistically? I assume so, since more powerful D&D-equivalent races seem have higher Fate Point values than weaker races. However, 5-8 Fate Points seems like quite a bit if all you are using them for is race/class combination. Maybe you should elaborate more on this aspect of the rules.
Fair enough.
I have a secret number, between 5 and 8, I'm rolling for each of you called your "Fate Points." It is the preternatural luck you have above and beyond the regular population, and is virtually the only thing that will set you apart from your more ordinary neighbors. If you get struck dead, for example, you can spend 2 of your fate points to miraculously survive. If you jump off a cliff into the swirling waters below and you're just so damn sure it will work, then you can maybe spend a fate point to skip an incredibly difficult dice roll. You may occasionally have the chance to earn fate points, but you won't know exactly how many fate points you have, so you'll have to use them judiciously.
I don't really plan on using Fate Points in-game, since a Druid should be able to make his own luck :smalltongue:

Class-wise, we all have to start as an NPC Class at 1, but should be able to freely multiclass starting at 2

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-10, 09:16 PM
Class-wise, we all have to start as an NPC Class at 1, but should be able to freely multiclass starting at 2

That sounds awful. You should suggest to the DM that once everyone hits 2nd level, they should get to trade their NPC class level for a level of whatever class they take at 2nd level. Forcing a character to have a level in an NPC class seriously screws every possible type of character.

I've run games where every 1st level character or NPC in the setting has an NPC class, but once anyone hits 2nd level that gets traded out for a level of whatever class they take at 2nd. NPCs who stay 1st level can retrain what NPC class that level is in every in-game year, so an Expert who joins the militia could become a Warrior or someone who gets elected to an office could retrain into Aristocrat. PCs typically started out at 2nd level in those games.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-06-11, 04:31 AM
That sounds awful. You should suggest to the DM that once everyone hits 2nd level, they should get to trade their NPC class level for a level of whatever class they take at 2nd level. Forcing a character to have a level in an NPC class seriously screws every possible type of character.

I've run games where every 1st level character or NPC in the setting has an NPC class, but once anyone hits 2nd level that gets traded out for a level of whatever class they take at 2nd. NPCs who stay 1st level can retrain what NPC class that level is in every in-game year, so an Expert who joins the militia could become a Warrior or someone who gets elected to an office could retrain into Aristocrat. PCs typically started out at 2nd level in those games.
Out of curiosity - why start character as NPC classes for a single level if you're going to let them be "ordinary" characters starting at level 2?

Anyhoo, I'm not going to try to get him to alter his hacked 3.5 system. I already suggested he use Burning Wheel since he obviously isn't interested in the mechanical whatsits that define 3.5. All I'm looking for is a way to make a functional character within his parameters.

Darkxarth
2010-06-11, 06:24 AM
Fair enough.
I have a secret number, between 5 and 8, I'm rolling for each of you called your "Fate Points." It is the preternatural luck you have above and beyond the regular population, and is virtually the only thing that will set you apart from your more ordinary neighbors. If you get struck dead, for example, you can spend 2 of your fate points to miraculously survive. If you jump off a cliff into the swirling waters below and you're just so damn sure it will work, then you can maybe spend a fate point to skip an incredibly difficult dice roll. You may occasionally have the chance to earn fate points, but you won't know exactly how many fate points you have, so you'll have to use them judiciously.
I don't really plan on using Fate Points in-game, since a Druid should be able to make his own luck :smalltongue:

In that case, you might as well go all out and nab a Nevin (Svirfneblin) Adept actually, since you are only going to have one level of NPC class, might as well make it count. Nevin (Svirfneblin): +2 Wis, a few good SLAs, +2 to all saves, 120 ft darkvision and low-light vision (with no light sensitivity or light blindness), spell resistance, 24 skill points at first level, and choose any 10 skills to be class skills. That's 6 Fate Points, and if you only get 5, go with Warrior for the weapon/armor proficiencies, the +1 BAB, and the extra 2 hit points over Adept.

For the steampunk Aristocrat/Cleric, I would suggest a Hybrid Westvalen Kragobublin (Bugbear). That spends only 5 Fate Points, since an Interfamily Hybrid is a sum of the costs.

If I misinterpreted something, let me know and I will try again. Otherwise, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-06-26, 05:33 PM
Alright, I'm back.

I sent my DM my two choices (Nevin Adept OR Hybrid Westvalen Kragobublin Aristrocrat) and he clarified that Aristocrats can only be either Senarin, Tororian, Westvalen, or Estilian OR a hybrid within those categories. This, of course, makes the Nevin much more attractive but were I to go Aristocrat, would it be worth the FP to go Estilian?

The Aristocrat is going to be a "tech priest" of Our Lady of Science and walk around with some Breastplate and a Firearm. It should be noted that firearms are also homebrewed, and should do "serious damage but ... can be occasionally unreliable and will require some upkeep." He also starts with proficiency with firearms and the ability to buy one - an Expert may not be so fortunate.

I'm willing to take an optimization hit for the Aristocrat since the DM said I am highly optimized in comparison to my fellow party members (thanks, Internet! :smallbiggrin:), but Druids are always fun to have too.

So, thoughts?