PDA

View Full Version : AvB-Kaliche

planswalker
2010-06-09, 10:08 PM
shoruke only... blah blah blah... needle mines.... kill you in your sleep if you look and aren't him.... or his dm....

Pirner glances up at you as you enter. "Well, it's been quite a busy day for me. Tell me quickly, what do you want, why should i help you, an how much do you think i should pay for it?"

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 09:34 AM
Kaliche folds his arms behind him, in a comfortable but respectful stance. "I'd heard that you were hiring for the personal protection business... and that you also needed people to cause others to suddenly wish they had personal protection."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 12:06 PM
"Yes, this is true. How specifically can you help me with this? I just hired a group contract for personal protection. Talk with my secretary if you want to join in on that."

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 01:28 PM
Kaliche almost rolls his eyes at the misunderstanding. "Very well, I'll speak more directly; I'm an assassin, and I heard you were hiring one."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 01:43 PM
"Why yes, that is so. My competitors in my line of work also are doing the same. I need you to take care of a few problematic people. Tell me, what exactly are your particular skills? Are you a master of poisons, or a mage-assassin? What can you do for me?"

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 02:02 PM
"I'm more of an acrobatic type. I can get into difficult-to-get-to places, and get out again without being detected. Plus, I can usually take out a mark quickly, so they can't call for backup."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 02:08 PM
"Excellent. I think that will be most useful. One tip: try to find yourself a partner, someone with complimentary skills." He seems rather to approve of you.
"Now then, let's talk money: is 200 gold a mark enough for you?"

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 02:29 PM
Kaliche quirks an eyebrow. "That would depend on the mark. 200 gold isn't enough to cover the cost of even one of my elixers, and those are quite cheap compared to the cost of, say, my sword. If you wanted me to take out some street thugs, 200 gold a mark would be acceptable, but someone actually worth killing is worth spending more than a stipend to kill."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 02:41 PM
He has a glint of mirth in his eyes to see that you are not some stupid rube. "Then how much do you think your skills should cost me?"

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 02:48 PM
"Again, it will depend on the mark. Killing a merchant who sets up a stall in the square on his way back to an inn is no trouble. Executing a noble who fills his house with guards and magic traps is slightly more difficult. If you have someone in mind, you should name him first, and THEN perhaps we can reliably negotiate an exact fee."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 02:57 PM
"Very well. How about this: i need you to take care of a business rival of mine, a certain Ezekiel Jedder. He is very powerful and my only true business rival. You probably wouln't stand a chance against him right now, seeing as he has hired some rather formidable guards. Some of his allies, however, are not so careful."
"one of them is named Christolph Reich. He is the chief apothecary in this city and is rather supportive of Jedder's bid for control of the guild. However, he cannot merely be killed openly. He is very well respected and widely known throughout the city. It would be best if you could 'persuade' him to support me instead. If not, his death must look like a tragic accident."

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 03:19 PM
Kaliche looks thoughtful for a moment. "I can do that. I'd expect a small bonus if I manage to persuade him to join you, but in any case I should be able to stage an 'accident'.

Now, how much do you think this man's life is worth? Bearing in mind, I'd expect a chief apothecary to be knowledgeable about poisons, and magical suggestions."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 03:27 PM
"He is actually a bit of a mystery. He came into town one day, just walked right up to the city officials and asked to join the apothecaries' guild. When he was told that it didn't exist, he joined the merchant's guild on a sub-contract. He started an apothecary licensing program. No one knows much about him at all, where he came or what he can really do. I will offer you 800 gold for his accident, double that if he sides with me. To me, his support is worth twice as much as him just merely no longer supporting my rival."

after a pause, he adds, "By the way, he's quite young. He was only 14 when he came here two years ago, and is the most skilled apothecary and surgeon anyone has ever seen here."

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 04:31 PM
"A sixteen-year-old managed all that? Interesting. I'll take your offer."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 04:32 PM
"Very good. He has a shop on Scale Street." He dismisses you with a wave of his hand.

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 06:28 PM
Kaliche nods, turns smartly on his heel, and leaves the office. He heads back to the city streets; not to Scale Street, but to Mastiff Road. There, he looks for a certain bard.

((should we move this to the City Streets thread?))

planswalker
2010-06-10, 06:31 PM
yes, mastiff road is the "city streets" thread. go there.

planswalker
2010-06-11, 04:38 PM
"Christolf Reich: Surgeon and Apothecary" proclaims the sign outside the door.

Shoruke
2010-06-11, 04:53 PM
Kaliche gives himself a quick once over: Look like a normal person? Check. He opens the door and walks in.

planswalker
2010-06-11, 06:04 PM
A teenage boy sitting behind a desk littered with parchment and various potions looks up and asks, "Can i help you?"

Shoruke
2010-06-11, 07:33 PM
Kaliche adopts a humble posture. "Hi, I guess you're Mr. Reich? I think I heard that you do potion deliveries, and I can do some basic alchemy too, and I'm looking for work..."

((OOC: CAN Kaliche do craft(alchemy) checks? He has Elf Dilettante, so he's considered to always have at least 1 rank in every skill, and he has Born Under the Half Moon, which gives him a spell-like ability)

planswalker
2010-06-11, 07:39 PM
then yes, he han, he just won't be very good at it.

He says, "Well, i am always looking for someone new to train. Feel free to be my apprentice. I can give you 1 silver a day as your wage, the standard price for an apprentice's labor. When can you start?"

Shoruke
2010-06-11, 07:59 PM
"I can start right away, sir!"

planswalker
2010-06-11, 08:01 PM
"Very good." He begins your apprenticeship by having you clean the apparatus he uses and scrubbing the floor of the lab clean.

Shoruke
2010-06-12, 02:49 PM
((OOC: So, should we wait a while before continuing this, to allow everyone else to play in real-time? Or do I just "Kaliche proceeds to clean and scrub"?))

planswalker
2010-06-12, 04:15 PM
just proceed to clean and scrub. The various threads' timings have no bearing on one another. If you are still in this shop when someone else arrives, i will note such on both threads. Otherwise, each thread is like an instanced dungeon in an mmo. completely independant unless two players happen to be in the same place in the same (rl) time.

Shoruke
2010-06-12, 07:16 PM
Kaliche washes out each and every tube and vial meticulously; once with soapy water, once with just water, and if available, once with distilled (or maybe holy) water.

Then he scrubs the floor.

planswalker
2010-06-12, 07:23 PM
Christolph is rather impressed with your attention to detail. He says, "well, you definitely are a hard worker. I think you will find tomorrow's tasks less menial."

Shoruke
2010-06-12, 09:45 PM
Kaliche says, "Thank you, sir! If that's all for today... What time should I be here tomorrow?"

planswalker
2010-06-12, 10:09 PM
"well, get here tomorrow morning one hour after sunrise." he said.

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 01:24 PM
"I'll be here then, sir!" Kaliche leaves the store, and heads back to Pirner Outfitters to ask about lodging, constantly glancing at the people in the streets, to make sure that nobody's face is repeatedly in view, and thus following him.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 02:57 PM
he doesn't notice anyone. On your way back, you notice that several shops appear to have been vandalized. you see a human standing outside of one particular shop where banging and the occasional terrified scream can be heard. Do you do anything?

not mandatory. the other pc there just so happens to have an adventure lead him to there. he might be grateful for the assist.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:51 PM
Kanteis calls towards the elf and two humans:
"Would one or two of you mind assisting me? I am attempting to take out a psychotic war forged, and my back up sneaked out. I can manage to hold the beast in place, so its removal shall be quick. I am willing to pay a modest sum of 100 gold for help in this endeavor."

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 05:36 PM
"I'll help," Kaliche calls back. "Where is he, in the shop?"

planswalker
2010-06-13, 05:46 PM
gonna create a joint thread to deal with this encounter now.
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8694425)

Shoruke
2010-06-16, 03:17 PM
After helping deal with the mithral warforged (and selling its shield), Kaliche walks around the area randomly for a little bit, looking at every face at least once, even checking behind himself, to make sure he isn't being tailed. He isn't expecting to be at this point, but one can never be too careful.

After a few minutes of this, he heads into Mr. Pirner's store to talk to him about lodgings.

planswalker
2010-06-16, 03:20 PM
"Well, i can put you up in the servant's quarters, or you can find your own lodging."

Shoruke
2010-06-16, 10:32 PM
"I think it would be more prudent for me to avoid residing with your people if I'm going to be an undercover agent. In fact, optimally, I wouldn't speak to you at all except to negotiate contracts and fees. On that point, can I expect reimbursement for my room at an inn? I'll pay any extra costs I incur on my own."

planswalker
2010-06-16, 11:01 PM
"fair enough. go do so."

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 11:37 AM
Kaliche inclines his head slightly and turns to leave.

His first inclination would be to head to that fancy place on Broad Chase; but he supposes that, to further cement his identity as a low-wage apprentice, he should aim for someplace less fancy.

Do I need a knowledge check or anything to find a low-cost yet functional and clean inn?

planswalker
2010-06-17, 02:32 PM
After wandering around briefly, you find a cheap yet clean place with the bare necessities for 1 silver, including two plain and simple meals a day.

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 05:31 PM
Kaliche turns in early, gets a good night of trancing in, and shows up slightly early for work at Mr. Reich's place.

planswalker
2010-06-17, 05:44 PM
As you enter, he seems rather pleased to meet you. "I see that the menial labor yesterday didn't scare you off. In fact, you performed your tasks yesterday very diligently. I have decided to skip the usual months of menial labor to prove your worth. I will still expect you to keep the place clean, but there is no need to scrub the floors or such. just keep my glassware clean, and i will be satisfied. In addition, I will start teaching you the apothecary's trade by having you accompany me as i make my rounds to my patients, allowing you to see firsthand what the job is all about. I make my rounds in the afternoon. For the morning, however, i want you to help me make various salves and potions that i will take to them."

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 09:17 PM
"I'll do my best, sir! What's first?" Kaliche tries his darnedest not to let it show that his knowledge of alchemy is, while functional, rather rudimentary.

planswalker
2010-06-17, 09:20 PM
"Well, Let's start off by mixing up a potion with rosemary, elder root, and athelas."

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 10:17 PM
Kaliche takes a shot at it.

Craft (Alchemy): [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-18, 01:20 AM
unfortunately, the concoction is delicate and you overdid the heat. it boiled over and was ruined. Christolf seems unfazed by this and pauses in his polituce-making to give you a pointer ans you begin again.

+1 bonus on the retry

Shoruke
2010-06-18, 10:05 AM
Alchemy: [roll0]
:smallyuk:

planswalker
2010-06-18, 10:09 AM
he chuckles good-naturedly as you repeat the same mistake and gives you a bit of a more specific pointer.

let's see if a +2 helps

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 03:05 PM
Goodness I hope so.
[roll0]

Man, can't roll above 10 for nothin'

planswalker
2010-06-19, 03:09 PM
"Let me help you with that this time and we can try this again tomorrow. I have other things i wish you to learn today."

we try once more, this time with him giving you a +5 bonus

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 05:01 PM
One more try!
[roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-19, 06:16 PM
with the successful brew bubbling happily, Reich moves you on to another task. You are to cut up yammuk roots finely while he adds some more herbs to the brew. Then you are to prepare a poltice to keep out infection in a patient who injured his leg last week.

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 07:50 PM
Is that one alchemy check to cut up roots as part of the guy's salve, or two separate tasks? If it's just supposed to be one, just take the first roll.

Craft (Alchemy): [roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2010-06-19, 08:19 PM
Cutting up the roots finely enough was a simple task, then you take them and add them to the mix for the poultice, and prepare it with skill. Christolph is very pleased with your work and says, "Well, it looks like brewing herbal medicines is your weak point while making poultices and salves are something you have a knack for. It's time for me to make my rounds and i'd like you to come along with me and watch. Learn how to talk with patients and comfort them without lying to them."

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 08:55 PM
That is just wonderful, Kaliche thinks. Nothing quite like watching a healer helping people to steel one's resolve in possibly killing him. Aloud he says, "Yes, sir," and follows along.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 09:05 PM
You follow him around town as he comforts and gives out medicine to various people across the city. They seem very grateful for his efforts, even if sometimes all he can do is comfort them with words, as there is nothing he can do for them physically.

When the two of you get back to his shop around sunset, he asks you "So, what did you think, my apprentice?"

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 09:15 PM
"Your work is wonderful, sir. Everyone seems to love what you do for them... but, if I may be so bold, your operation in general seems small-scale. Do you think you could do more good, and maybe make more money, and have people trained to be healers in the future, if you like... joined up with a bigger company, or something?"

planswalker
2010-06-19, 09:28 PM
"Sadly, i am the biggest company for apothecary services in this town. I have trained four apprentices besides you and licensed about a half-dozen others. I am hoping someday to gain the political clout to form my own guild and be able to start larger-scale operations in this town. Unfortunately, that takes money, and no one seems willing to give me a loan large enough to get things started. At least, not at an interest rate that i could pay." He seems rather frustrated by this.

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 10:16 AM
Kaliche looks thoughtful. "Hmm... well, anyways, if that's all for today sir, I'll see you an hour after sunrise tomorrow?"

planswalker
2010-06-20, 04:48 PM
"Sure thing. Maybe someday you will be one of the founding members of an apothecary's guild."

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 05:31 PM
Kaliche inclines his head one last time, and leaves, striding purposefully towards Mr. Pirner's shop, performing his usual 'checking the crowd' routine.

Would I meet up with the troll at this point? Or should we pretend that I got there first and the troll hasn't showed up yet, or that they've already fended it off...?

planswalker
2010-06-20, 05:58 PM
i'd rather you show up after the troll is killed.

Upon arriving at the shop, the doors are broken down and splatters of troll blood can be seen. It looks like the bodyguards had a fight on their hands.

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 06:58 PM
Kaliche steps through the ruined doorway, with an almost humoured look on his face. Didn't Taranni have anything to at least fix the door? He looks around for Mr. Pirner.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:09 AM
He finds him walking out of the storage room towards his office.

Shoruke
2010-06-21, 12:27 PM
"Ah, Mr. Pirner!" Kaliche hustles to catch up with his employer. "I've taken some time to get acquainted with Mr. Reich, and he's interested in expanding his business. The thing he needs most is a loan, at a good rate, so he can expand his business operation. If you offered him a loan, with a low interest rate, he'd love you for it, and be loyal to you. With the additional incentive of being your business partner, there's practically no way he can refuse."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 12:50 PM
"Very good. I was hoping as much. I empower you to do the negotiations with him. Unless you think you are incompetent to do this."

Shoruke
2010-06-21, 02:40 PM
"Actually, it's more the case of my guise... As far as Reich is concerned, I'm a naive youngster with a knack for making salves and no clue how to mix herbs, how to run a business or manage money, or even how to tell people that most healing potions won't instantly cure the common cold. Whereas you are a well-known businessman who already has his own store and the money Reich needs. If you'd like, though, I could show up to the negotiations to provide an encouraging presence."

planswalker
2010-06-22, 02:07 AM
"Very well. I shall negotiate with him myself. I would like you to accompany me, since you have made personal contact with him. He will likely forgive you the deception if it enables him to start his dreams. If forming an apothecary's guild can guarantee his loyalty, it is trivial to me whether or not the apothecaries are an independent organization or part of the merchants."

Shoruke
2010-06-22, 10:14 AM
"Alright. If I might suggest; the best way to do this would be for you to arrive at his shop early in the morning tomorrow, a short while after I do. I don't see any reason for the negotiations to fail, but if they do, it would be optimal for me to be able to continue my 'apprenticeship' under him. You know, for the alternative method of not having him as an active opponent to you.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 02:55 PM
"Very practical of you. you might best serve these negotiations by being his 'spprentice' and offering your 'insight' to this offer."

Shoruke
2010-06-22, 07:17 PM
Kaliche nods his assent, turns, and leaves for his inn. He gets a good night's sleep and takes pains to show up at Reich's shop a minute or two early.

1 silver per day at the inn, right?

planswalker
2010-06-22, 07:27 PM
yep

He greets you warmly and sets you to mixing herbs. Before you can finish, Mr. Pirner walks in. Reich is busy in the back working on something and he told you to let him know if anyone comes into the shop.

Shoruke
2010-06-23, 01:08 AM
Kaliche quickly sets down his alchemical equipment, dusts his hands off against his trousers, and says (with a wink) "Good morning sir! How may I help you?"

planswalker
2010-06-23, 01:32 AM
(with a knowing smile) "I am looking for a Christolph Reich. IS he in?"

Shoruke
2010-06-23, 11:10 AM
"Um, yes. He's just in the back, I'll show you to him. Right this way, sir." Kaliche leads Mr. Pirner into the back. "Uhm, Mr. Reich? There's someone here to see you."

planswalker
2010-06-23, 03:13 PM
"Oh? Who is it?"

Shoruke
2010-06-24, 11:27 AM
"I don't know, but he's dressed like a merchant. He wants to talk to you."

planswalker
2010-06-24, 03:14 PM
"Very well. I'll be out in a moment."

a short time later, he walks out of his back office. "What can i do for you, good sir?"

"Why, i have a business proposition for you."

"What sort?"

"I hear that you wish to start an apothecary's guild, which is being held back by your enterprise being too small and not having the funding to expand. I am willing to offer you an unlimited loan with no set due date, at 5% annual interest, compounded monthly. All I ask in return is that you lend your voice in support of my bid for guild presidency."

"This seems almost too good to be true. Tell me, how did you find out exactly what it is that I truly want?" He looks at you rather suspiciously. Now might be a good time to "confess" that you leaked the info to him. As a well-meaning apprentice, of course.

Shoruke
2010-06-25, 11:51 AM
"Ah... well sir, I uh, kind of took a bit of initiative. So I went and told Mr. Pirner here that you might be interested in a business proposition... I hope you're not miffed at me for saying I didn't know him, it's just that I didn't want you to feel like I'm trying to do all your business for you or anything."

planswalker
2010-06-25, 03:18 PM
"Well, i guess no real harm done." turning back to pirner, he says "I'm more than willing to lend my voice to anyone who will help me form my own guild. When i get my guild, they will be on most cordial relations with the man who helped me get it started. My loyalty in this case i guess can be 'bought' at the price of an apothecary's guild."

"Don't consider yourself purchased. It is just simple business sense to support your business associates in their endeavors. Wealthy and powerful allies make for good friends."

Shoruke
2010-07-08, 11:03 AM
Kaliche keeps silent, not having anything meaningful to contribute at the moment. He wonders how to break the news to Reich that he is actually an assassin and probably won't be available to help with the Apothecary's guild expansion. Perhaps I can just pop over and help Mr. Reich when I'm not too busy with Pirner.

planswalker
2010-07-10, 07:35 AM
"I've always been wary of purchased friends, but I'm willing to do so if it will get me started on my own guild. I assume that there is some sort of contract to sign?"

"Well, yes indeed. I had one prepped just in case you did agree to do so. It is a limited contract that will expire as soon as your apothecary's guild is established. Please read through it before signing."

after spending a couple of minutes reading through it, both pirner and Reich sign it, with you as witness to it. They have you sign as the witness to their signatures. Pirner gives Reich a warm farewell and departs. On his way out the door, he gives tou a knowing smile, worth 450 xp.

"It seems too good to be true. After allthese years of struggling to find someone willing to back me up, I finally find someone mere days after apprenticing you. Tell me, you aren't really an apothecary student are you? you are rather old for one anyways."

this last bit is directed rather squarely at you

btw, like my sig says, I am out of town right now and can't get on more than once a day or so. it's possible that i'll even miss a few days entirely. i'll try to keep things moving, however.

Shoruke
2010-07-11, 11:44 AM
Kaliche grins, and holds his hands up, palms forward. "Okay, you got me. I'm not much of an alchemist, and I don't think I'd enjoy it as a career. I suppose I would seem old for a student of anything because I've had over a hundred years to dabble a little bit in every trade there is... although, if we were to express age as a fraction of total lifespan, I am not actually much older than you are.

I actually met Mr. Pirner a few days ago looking for work, and he asked me to find out how to persuade you to give him your vote for president of the guild." Kaliche allows himself a small smirk. "I think I did quite well in that regard. Anyways, no doubt Mr. Pirner will have other work for me to do... but, since we're all going to be 'business partners', I don't think anybody will mind if you wish to purchase my services. I really do sympathize with your work; perhaps I'll drop by and help mix a few salves when Mr. Pirner hasn't anything for me to do."

That's fine with me.

planswalker
2010-07-13, 08:35 AM
"Very well, then. You are a good man with a strong work ethic. I can respect you for that. Do drop by sometime, then. Who knows? If you really need my help, I am sure i could whip something up."

Shoruke
2010-07-13, 09:54 AM
Kaliche inclines his head as he leaves. "I will see you later, Mr. Reich."

Kaliche returns to Mr. Pirner's office, performing his usual routine of taking the scenic route to ensure he isn't being followed.

planswalker
2010-07-15, 02:34 AM
he arrives with great certainty that he isn't being followed.

Shoruke
2010-07-16, 10:51 AM
Kaliche enters, and looks around for Pirner. As soon as he finds him (as long as it isn't some silly place to have an assassin's conversation, like the showroom part of the store), Kaliche says "Mr. Pirner, I've completed my mission... and quite expediently, too. I believe my fee was to be 1,600 gold pieces. And do you have any other missions for me, perhaps another one of Jedder's allies needs to be 'removed' or some such?"

planswalker
2010-07-16, 11:38 AM
you find him in his office.

"Indeed you have. Take this note to the bank. You can collect your fee there." he hands you a note. "I do think I know of another of Jedder's allies which would be nice if he was taken down. There is a certain half-orc priest of pelor who has a side-business selling colored glass figurines. He isn't particularly high up in the temple heirarchy, but his mother is. She and I have a ... personal disagreement about how little the church should be involved in mercantile affairs. Please send her a message to back off. It would probably also be wise if you avoided getting this pinned on you, and be certain that it isn't traced back to me. An enraged mother who is also a powerful divine caster isn't who you want as an enemy. This probably means that your target also needs to not see you. Corpsses have an uncanny habit of responding to the speak with dead spell."

Shoruke
2010-07-17, 01:34 PM
Kaliche accepts his bank note and pockets it. "I would assume you know the orcs' names? Any other information you can give me, like where they live, would help too."

planswalker
2010-07-18, 01:29 AM
"The orc is called Darus. he lives in a monestary just outside of town. Hs mother actually sleeps in the priests' quarters in the local temple. He is actually her child through rape from an orc raid when she was younger. She loves the child dearly though. She sees him as the only good to have come out of her ordeal with the orcs. Even though he is now a grown man in his late 20's, she still dotes on him. He doesn't really excell at the life of a priest and will never go far in the order, but I do believe he has found a comfortable life for himself tending to the monasterie's vegetable garden in addition to his monastic studies."

Shoruke
2010-07-18, 11:59 PM
"So the mother is human, then, and probably middle-aged... do you know either of their roles within the church? I'm guessing she must leave at least occasionally, to have had a personal disagreement with you."

planswalker
2010-07-19, 01:27 AM
"I believe she is a bishop in the church of pelor. She and I had a disagreement because she was insistent on the church's right to impose a tithe on my business like I owed them something. I didn't take indly to that and she and I have had a private little war over it ever since. with this trouble in the succession, I hope to use it to end this war once and for all."

Shoruke
2010-07-20, 10:37 AM
"Okay... A physical description of both or either of them would be helpful."

Knowledge (religion) check to know the specific duties of a priest of pelor: [roll0]

If I don't know enough about priests, I'll ask Pirner about them too.

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:43 AM
"Well, the mother uis a rather short woman, about 5' tall. She is quite intimidating, though, in her crimson priest's robes. She has a rather severe appearance. The son is the only orcblooded monk at the monastery. he's kinda short for a half-orc, standing only 5'9. however, he's very heavily muscled. Is that sufficient?"

you can't seem to recall much.

Shoruke
2010-07-20, 05:08 PM
"That will be a sufficient description to recognize her, I think. Now, I don't know much about religion in general... anything you can tell me about the church of Pelor- the building's layout, what they stand for, their policies for dealing with outsiders, even the significance of their holy symbols- or the functions of a priest will be beneficial."

planswalker
2010-07-20, 05:32 PM
"Well, I don't know anything about the layout, but it is open to the public, mostly. I'm sure they have some reserved sections and I doubt you can just waltz into their private living quarters. It's over on the southwest corner of the city, on the Frey family estate. They are a very powerful church in the city, even going so far as to have direct support from many nobles, most notably the Frey family. They claim to represent the supreme lord of light and good. They claim to be a church open to all, but the ricvher and more politically salient you are, the better you're treated. Their holy symbol is a sun with a grim face set in it. I'm sure they have all sorts of symbolism for it, but I don't know what it is. They call their clerics priests, I guess to differentiate them from everyone else's. They serve as the main force of the church, although they also have quite a few paladins and monks in their service. That's about all I care to know about them."

this isn't your stereotypical pelor church.

Shoruke
2010-07-20, 10:21 PM
"Do you know if the priests leave the church very often, or why they leave when they deign to do so?"

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:06 PM
"Other than when they seem to show up and interfere in my profitable business venture, no."

Shoruke
2010-07-21, 12:02 AM
"Hmm... alright, I will see you later, then. Possibly to ask more questions, but more likely to collect my fee." Kaliche turns and leaves. He starts planning on his way to the bank.

((internal musings))
There isn't a lot I can do in the way of planning before I see the church itself, and get an idea of its layout as well as the priests' day schedules... but, I am smart enough to come up with a general plan ahead of time. Let's see...

The half-orc might be useful, if I befriend him he could provide me with information, or a tour of the place, or the priests' schedules, or I might find an opportunity to steal his keys, if the church bothers with locks... but I don't know how well he'd respond to me being an elf, and with my hair, it's almost guaranteed that I would stick out in someone's memory, so I'll need a disguise. In a cosmopolitan town like this, I can probably get away with being an elf, and it would be the easiest disguise to have, but I can probably pull off pretending to be a human, and it would throw them farther of my trail if they eventually decide to try and track me... plus, humans are more populous and, due to their wild differentiation, widely accepted. So, with some elevating boots, and some fancy clothing so that the church treats me decently... Okay, that should work. I might even be able to pass myself off as a potential worshipper.

Now I just need to learn a little about the church's philosophy, so I don't unwittingly say something taboo and upset someone... now, should I ask that bard, or go to a library? Probably both, just for thoroughness.

Kaliche cashes in his bank note for 1,600 gold coins, and (barring any difficulties with the bank) heads to Broad Chase to look for that bard again.

planswalker
2010-07-21, 12:05 AM
the bank accepts the note. he fuinds the bard in his usual spot.

Shoruke
2010-07-21, 10:05 AM
"Hello again," Kaliche addresses him. "I've been wondering about how the priests of Pelor think. You know, their taboos, and their church's philosophy. Can you tell me anything about that for 10 gold coins?"

planswalker
2010-07-21, 01:11 PM
he snmiles brightly at the gold. "Well, they are very pious. They tolerate no accusations of less than absolute devotion to Pelor. Also, they will consider you sanctimonious if you try to tell them that they should do more to help people. They seem to subscribe to the theory that they help the rich people's souls, who are the ones to help poor people's bodies. Does that satisfy your question?"

Shoruke
2010-07-22, 12:58 PM
"Hmm... do you know anything about the priests' day-to-day lives?" Kaliche passes the bard another 10 coins.

planswalker
2010-07-23, 06:40 AM
he looks, pained, and passes the coins back. "I'm afraid that I don't know much at all there. Just that a lot of them live in the temple and a nearby monastery at the edge of town."

Shoruke
2010-07-23, 11:31 AM
"Do you know how often the priests leave the temple, and what they're up to when they do?"

planswalker
2010-07-23, 11:37 AM
"Well, there seem to always be someobne iin robes leaving and entering the place. as to what they do, who knows? Maybe even some of them are going out to buy produce at the market."

Shoruke
2010-07-24, 04:46 PM
Kaliche's Face: :smallannoyed:

Sense Motive to see if the bard could tell me any more for more coinage: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-24, 07:35 PM
he seems to truly not know more about the priests. he only accepted your first offer of gold, though, because he knew this was a weak area in his knowledge.

Shoruke
2010-07-25, 03:44 PM
Kaliche thanks the bard for his time, and heads for a clothier's shop, where he purchases a Courtier's Outfit, and 50 gp worth of jewelry.

((is it possible to include clothing that disguises me as a human in the courtier's outfit? Would it take a craft check, or just cost extra money?))

planswalker
2010-07-25, 05:28 PM
it can either be a free disguise check, or 10 gp.

Shoruke
2010-07-27, 08:40 PM
Kaliche also purchases some clothing that will disguise him as a human while he is a "courtier".

((Would Kaliche be able to get out of his hotel without using the main entrance, without being totally conspicuous? Through a window, for instance?))

planswalker
2010-07-27, 08:51 PM
well, a courtier walking out the main entrance is a heck of a loty less suspicious than the same courtier climbing out of a second story window.

Shoruke
2010-07-28, 08:44 PM
From your earlier description, it sounded like the mother lives in a church inside the city, while the half-orc son lives in a monastery outside town?

planswalker
2010-07-28, 08:54 PM
yes. there is one central church to Pelor in the city. She is the high priestess there.

Shoruke
2010-07-29, 01:50 PM
Knowledge Religion check to know about any (local) churches opposed to Pelor:

[roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-29, 04:45 PM
you just know that they exist, but can't remember any of them at all.

Shoruke
2010-07-29, 07:46 PM
Kaliche finds and accosts a city guard (heading towards Broad Chase; if he doesn't find any on the way, he'll ask one by the city gate).

"Excuse me, sir, I require some divine assistance with something, and I'm quite new to town. I was wondering if you could point out a few of the local churches to me?"

planswalker
2010-07-29, 07:53 PM
you do find one on Broad Chase. "Look, I ain't a tour guide. If you want to find temples, look in the Priests' Quarter to the southwest. Pelor's temple is the big one on the noble's estate, but there are plenty other all about that area if the sun god ain't your cup of tea."

Shoruke
2010-07-30, 10:34 AM
"Alright, thank you for your time, sir."

Kaliche heads to the Priests' Quarter and spends some time wandering around, taking note of which different churches he sees, trying to get a feel for the layout, and making note of back alleys and other such escape routes. He also makes an effort to casually pass by the church of Pelor just once, and take a look at the building and the grounds.

planswalker
2010-08-02, 12:37 PM
The temple district has several different temples along its row. There is of course the temple of Pelor on a very richly manicured estate with a rather large three-story building. St Cuthbert also has quite a strong presence here. There are also temples to Heironeous, Urbanus, Vecna, Bahamut, and Zouken. Right at the end of the district is a small building that seems a little worn down. a small sign says that it is a temple to something called the "Sovereign Host."

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:15 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

Shoruke
2010-08-03, 12:02 AM
Sheesh. Should I join someone else's thread?

Kaliche looks around the immediate area for an easy route to climb onto the roof of a building, or at least a wall, to get a better look.

planswalker
2010-08-03, 12:14 PM
the explosion is almost due north of your location, just beyond the temple to Pelor. Few of the temples seem to encourage climbing, but a nearby shop on the Celestial Path appears to not be currently occupied and will provide a 2-story view of the incident.

Shoruke
2010-08-03, 01:33 PM
Is Kaliche able to brace himself against that shop's wall and the next? Failing that, are there any crates or carts or something he can stand on?

planswalker
2010-08-03, 03:39 PM
yes to both

Shoruke
2010-08-03, 07:35 PM
Kaliche runs parallel to the wall, and performs a scissor jump to get a boost before he starts climbing.

using the Leaping Climber skill trick... here's the rolls if necessary, although Kaliche's Climb check is high enough that he doesn't risk falling.
Jump: [roll0]
Climb: [roll1]

planswalker
2010-08-03, 08:29 PM
He is now on the roof. The source is unsurprisingly simple to find. With your new vantage point, the damage to surrounding buildings is evident. You can see the source, a smoking crater in the ground some 300 feet across and 100 feet deep. Nearer to the surface, you can see sewer tunnels sliced open by the blast, a slow trickle of sewage is just beginning to flow from one of the tunnels into the crater.

A crowd of the curious has begun to gather. The City Guard, to their credit, has already formed a perimeter and begun to try to send people away from the site of destruction.

Shoruke
2010-08-03, 10:29 PM
Is it a viable option to engage in roofjumping to get to the nearest undamaged building to the crater? If so, Kaliche does that. (+10 modifier on jump checks, so he can make 10-foot jumps easily)

planswalker
2010-08-03, 10:53 PM
it is. will you approach the nearest building with no damage or the closest one you are reasonably certain will hold your weight?

Shoruke
2010-08-03, 11:59 PM
Closest completely undamaged building for now.

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:01 AM
you are about six houses away from the blast site. you can see more detail, including that the crater is about 100 feet deep at the center. Edges of sewer mains can be seen. the northern ones are slowly dripping sewage into the hole.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:05 AM
Kaliche continues along the rooftops, to the closest building to the crash site that seems safe.

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:06 AM
he can see that there is a man who has apparently decided to jump into the crater. Several city guards are in pursuit on ropes.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:15 AM
should have thought of this earlier, Knowledge check to figure out what's happening

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

Also, how many guards are around the crater? What are they using to keep people away?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:23 AM
about 50, and mostly are just forming a line to prevent the curious from getting too close, but they are all armed with longswords and clubs, and there are a number of spellcasters among them

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:31 AM
This is curious. With this much disturbance, I should probably put my job on hold until this all calms down. Now, what to do in the mean time...

Kaliche looks around for a building that would provide a higher, better vantage point than the one he's currently on.

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:34 AM
the best bet would be the library just to the north of your position. It is due west of the crater and a story taller than the nearby buildings.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:43 AM
Kaliche hops off the building he's on, on a side facing away from the crater, makes his way around, and climbs onto the building adjacent to the library.

Does the library's roof have any decent handholds for Kaliche to pull himself up with, or lasso a rope around?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:49 AM
yes it does.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 01:00 AM
Kaliche takes a running jump at the library, and pulls himself onto the roof. (with handhold available, it shouldn't be any problem) He looks again at the crater.

planswalker
2010-08-04, 01:09 AM
he can make out yet another humanoid who has given the city guard the slip and is climbing over the side. this one has not attracted attention yet.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 01:10 AM
No chance of seeing into the bottom of the crater? Also, are the edges of the crater smooth, or jagged and erratic?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 01:15 AM
the bottom of the crater is rather smooth stone. The blast has apparently exposed the bedrock underneath.

the edges of the crater are decently smooth but irregular.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 01:21 AM
What are the people climbing down the crater doing, are they at the bottom yet?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 07:55 AM
there is one humanoid who seems to have just slid down the side. he is near the bottom of the crater. Five guardsmen and two mages are in pursuit. Another humanoid not associated with the guard is climbing down a quarter of the way down from them, nearly in the same direction that you are.

i'm afraid that the non-guard non-mage humanoids are pc's who haven't posted yet. this is your opportunity to act before they do.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 10:31 AM
Kaliche frowns. I'm probably more competent at keeping myself alive than civilians, or most of the guards, for that matter. The fact that two people have already got past them unharmed would attest to that.

What angle is the crater's sides at? Mostly vertical, or shallow enough to just slide/scramble/climb down unharmed?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 11:42 AM
almoszt vertical. no more than 10 degreees off of vertical. sliding down will not be as lethal as falling from the same height, but it will hurt.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 11:44 AM
How rough are the sides, rough enough to make a climb check of some DC?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 11:54 AM
yes, though not an incredibly easy one.

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:07 PM
Kaliche's frown deepens. I'm starting to wish I'd thought to bring a Potion of Feather Fall or some such, for just such an occasion. Well, I guess I'll remember for next time...

I'd guess there aren't any nearby potion vendors that are open for business just now?

planswalker
2010-08-04, 12:19 PM
it appears that the nearby vendors are all closed for now. Something about an enormous explosion disrupting business....

Shoruke
2010-08-04, 12:31 PM
You mean the common peoples' default reaction to a magical explosion that destroyed a chunk of their city isn't to go and buy as many magical potions and scrolls as possible? And the shopkeepers' first instinct isn't to put a sign on the store front saying "open during crises?" Shocker. </sarcasm>

Well, I suppose I'd better go take a closer look myself. I find it unlikely that the guards are watching for civilians entering the crater from the skies.

Kaliche fishes his Potion of Levitation out of his Handy Haversack. Conveniently, it was lying on top of all his other stuff, so he didn't even have to take the backpack off to find it. He drinks the potion, and jumps towards the crater, relying on his momentum to get him horizontally to the crater, while using the Levitate spell to adjust his height. Once he's over the crater, he drops sharply and clings to the rocky ledge, just below the crater's lip.

Hide: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-08-14, 10:36 PM
sorry about dropping off on you. family stuff came up.

as you enter the crater, a small floating eye observes you. A few seconds later, several more appear. It will be difficult to advance unseen by them, although the guard is giving no reaction to your presence yet.