PDA

View Full Version : The Brúni "Dvergr" (The Flame Dwarves)

Kinslayer777
2010-06-09, 11:08 PM
The Brúni

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/vv_20090325_1.jpg

"The Maker put his hammer to the anvil. Used the volcano itself as a forge. He hammered and hammered. And by sweat of His brow, out came living flame. Made from the fiery mountain itself, I tell ye! The Maker's wrath itself, I says!" -Ulrik Volstagg, Doomsayer

The Brúni, like all "Jötunkyn" and "Dverger", are a race of unknown origin. Many have theorized that they are the descendants of the Eldrjötun, the giants of the flame, that fell asleep, long ago, before man was formed and fashioned. Others say that they are an evolved race of stone-dwellers that adapted to their home beneath the great volcanic mountain Brúnheim. The Brúni themselves, they couldn't care less. They exist. And all this fussin' over "Where did they come from?" and "Why are they here?" by others just fans the flames of their temper.

The Brúni are a stalwart, headstrong race of temperamental outbursts. They stand between 4-5 ft tall on average, and are quite wide (between 2-2.5 ft) as a people. Bearing grey, stone-colored skin, the Brúni never shod their feet, thinking it foolish; something for delicate types, which the Brúni people seldom have time for. Usually square-faced and stern-browed, the Brúni are further intimidating for the natural phenomena that is the flames that constitute their "hair". Yes, where the natural hair on a man would lay, there the tongues of living flame replace. If one can overcome the mystery that is this encompassing flame, he will notice that the eyes of a Brúni match that of their "hair": Red and orange...the image of empassioned fire in their corneas.

The Brúni, like the flame that surrounds their heads, are wild and passionate; quick to flare up and slow to cool down. Because of this racial commonality, the Brúni can often be observed in a fight, be it on the battle field or off of it. In their own communities, the Brúni advocate "Joakim", or "war-favor", usually gained through a test of strength and stamina between 2 or more individuals in a contested ring, beating the living spark out of one another until only one stands. Although in favor of aggression, the Brúni never extinguish the fire of life needlessly, as this would be a disgrace to "Joakim", instead incapacitating opponents in their passionate sport. The Brúni often refer to "Joakim" as a living individual, with phrases such as "Joakim walks with me today." and "Joakim will decide between you and I.", though none would recognize it as a deity, but definitively as an energy of battle.

Though it is hard to gain their full trust, Brúni are quite a loyal people, especially towards those that share their tenacious warrior mindset, as they see those individuals as sharing in "Joakim" with them. Once you are called friend, a Brúni will die for you, and expect the same devotion in return.

The Brúni, not unlike their supposed divine origin, are master smiths, forging the most reliable and intricately-designed metal masterpieces in the known world. To the Brúni, smithing is an art. An art in which a person pours their very soul into the template and shapes it into a living, breathing extension of it's maker. And the Brúni truly do give a part of themselves to the forge, using their own spark, their body heat and flame, to liquify the metal and run the forges. All Brúni smithing results in a creation holding world magicka within itself. Through the magic of runes, the they trap the energies within the item created. In this racial past-time, the fiery Brúni passion is fully observable in it's beauty.

The Brúni are governed by the Hjalmstallr, War-Chief and High Ember of all Brúni, who is selected from a test of Joakim including the mightiest of the Brúni race. They dwell within Brúnheim, the great volcanic mountain. Here, underground, the Brúni go about their lives in relative, yet temperamental, contentment, often warring with any creatures of the Low Ether (underground) in defense of their hearth.

The Brúni control the heat of their body so well that, say they are stepping on a wooden floor, they can "move" their heat farther up their bodies so as not to burn down everything they touch. This is an unconscious trait.

Alignment: Chaotic Good mostly

Racial traits:

+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Char Brúni are powerful and tough, yet intimidating and gruff.
Medium: As Medium creatures, Brúni have no special, bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A Brúni’s base land speed is 20 feet. However, they can move at this speed even when wearing medium-heavy armor or when carrying a medium-heavy load.
Darkvision: Brúnis can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Back off: Brúnis gain a +2 on all intimidate checks.
Living Forge: Brúnis gain a +2 on all Profession (Smithing) checks.
Heat (Ex): An Brúni’s body is intensely hot, so its unarmed attacks deal +4 extra fire damage. Its metallic weapons and armor also conduct this heat. Therefore, any attacks have a +4 extra fire damage and any natural attacks made against the Brúni incur the same bonus damage. Heat is a permanent ability, but the heat and flame can be relatively suppressed, though never fully extinguished, allowing the Brúni to have a 5% chance of catching any flammable objects on fire that he comes into contact with.
Immunity to fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fireImmunity) (vulnerability to cold)
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the water or cold subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
-2 penalty on all saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities with the water or cold subtype or used by creatures of the water or cold subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
Automatic Languages: Common, Ignan
Favored Class: Berserker

Racial Bonus Traits:

Tenacious B: When the Brúni's HP drops below 7, he/she go into a berserker rage and will fight until -5 hp when they begin dying normally. If not healed within the first round of -hp, they can only be raised by divine magic.
Any more suggestions???

LA: It's balanced in the Pathfinder & DnD universe

Hyooz
2010-06-09, 11:13 PM
Needs LA like mad.

Temotei
2010-06-09, 11:17 PM
Needs LA like mad.

It's mentioned at the bottom that it's LA +1 for D&D 3.5.

Hyooz
2010-06-09, 11:35 PM
It's mentioned at the bottom that it's LA +1 for D&D 3.5.

Wasn't there when I commented. +1 LA is probably fine.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-09, 11:42 PM
The 'Tenacious B' Needs work. Perhaps the HP limit would be level x con HP, or even just half maximum? I'd also say instead of them dying five points early, just have them active and functional until -5, then start dying as normal. Do they get bonuses in this 'berserker rage' or is it just a more robust version of diehard?

ninjaneer003
2010-06-10, 06:03 AM
Is the Heat ability permanent or can it be suppressed?

Should probably give some way or an option to hold back the Heat ability, otherwise anyone he touches will be hurt and anything flammable will immediately go up in flames. This could be a nice penalty to the class but would make some situations very difficult, for instance you say that they never sod their feet, this would make walking on any wooden surface impossible with out igniting it underneath his feet, making nearly all taverns and common places for races besides the dwarves inaccessible with out burning it to a crisp.....ok that could be fun actually but it still think they should have some way of supressing this ability or maybe a special type of clothing that is Heat proof, but that would mean (O NO!) shoes! or some feet coverings so this is probably not the solution

also with the Heat ability would this conductance of heat also spread to metal armor or just weapons? You could set it up were anyone attacking with a natural attack takes the +4 fire damage as well

but ya needless to say i like very much

Eloi
2010-06-10, 06:05 AM
You probably should give it the general traits of fire races:

+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the water subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
-2 penalty on all saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities with the water or cold subtype or used by creatures of the water or cold subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
Resistance to fire 5.

Kinslayer777
2010-06-10, 08:06 AM
The 'Tenacious B' Needs work. Perhaps the HP limit would be level x con HP, or even just half maximum? I'd also say instead of them dying five points early, just have them active and functional until -5, then start dying as normal. Do they get bonuses in this 'berserker rage' or is it just a more robust version of diehard?

Sorry, can you explain the HP limit proposition a bit more, don't understand which part of TB it would apply to. I changed the death to normal after -5. I would like them to get a bonus. Any suggetsions?

Kinslayer777
2010-06-10, 08:18 AM
Is the Heat ability permanent or can it be suppressed?

Should probably give some way or an option to hold back the Heat ability, otherwise anyone he touches will be hurt and anything flammable will immediately go up in flames. This could be a nice penalty to the class but would make some situations very difficult, for instance you say that they never sod their feet, this would make walking on any wooden surface impossible with out igniting it underneath his feet, making nearly all taverns and common places for races besides the dwarves inaccessible with out burning it to a crisp.....ok that could be fun actually but it still think they should have some way of supressing this ability or maybe a special type of clothing that is Heat proof, but that would mean (O NO!) shoes! or some feet coverings so this is probably not the solution

also with the Heat ability would this conductance of heat also spread to metal armor or just weapons? You could set it up were anyone attacking with a natural attack takes the +4 fire damage as well

but ya needless to say i like very much

Ninjaneer, I think we just got the best of both worlds. Have a look.

Kinslayer777
2010-06-10, 08:21 AM
You probably should give it the general traits of fire races:

Brilliant! Thank you! Might mess with it a bit though.

ninjaneer003
2010-06-10, 08:27 AM
OOOoooo i like
just an idea you could also make it a concentration check to see if they can repress it. likey likey though

The Brúni

The Brúni, like all "Jötunkyn" and "Dverger", are a race of unknown origin.

so what are the Jotunkyn and Dverger?

O and i think a fire breathing feat might be cool probable have it be a certain times per-day and have it lvl with HD

or maybe a steel skin feat that kind of like the one the stone people got

ninjaneer003
2010-06-14, 11:56 PM
Hey Die2Win just brought up a good point to me. With the Heat ability would a wizard or cleric be able to do touch attacks or would it do damage to them.

Jota
2010-06-15, 10:40 AM
I'm not wholly convinced this is LA +1. Obviously Strength and Constitution are two of the better stats to get bonuses two for warriors, and the Charisma loss will affect few, but the other abilities aren't that impressive.

Heat is significant only at the very earliest levels of play (and that could be mitigated a bit by making it 1d4 rather than a straight +4), and the other abilities are fairly standard. Compared to the other strong LA +0 races (humans, strongheart halflings, dwarves, etc.), this is an alternative, not an outright improvement. What I'm saying is, if you want it to be LA +1, I think it needs more. Like everything dwarves get, maybe, in addition to the fire-themed stuff and the Strength.

Temotei
2010-06-15, 11:36 AM
Racial traits:

+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Char Brúni are powerful and tough, yet intimidating and gruff.
Medium: As Medium creatures, Brúni have no special, bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A Brúni’s base land speed is 20 feet. However, they can move at this speed even when wearing medium-heavy armor or when carrying a medium-heavy load.
Darkvision: Brúnis can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Back off: Brúnis gain a +2 on all intimidate checks.
Living Forge: Brúnis gain a +2 on all Profession (Smithing) checks.
Heat (Ex): An Brúni’s body is intensely hot, so its unarmed attacks deal +4 extra fire damage. Its metallic weapons and armor also conduct this heat. Therefore, any attacks have a +4 extra fire damage and any natural attacks made against the Brúni incur the same bonus damage. Heat is a permanent ability, but the heat and flame can be relatively suppressed, though never fully extinguished, allowing the Brúni to have a 5% chance of catching any flammable objects on fire that he comes into contact with.
Immunity to fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fireImmunity) (vulnerability to cold)
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the water or cold subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
Automatic Languages: Common, Ignan
Favored Class: Berserker

Racial Bonus Traits:

Tenacious B: When the Brúni's HP drops below 7, he/she go into a berserker rage and will fight until -5 hp when they begin dying normally. If not healed within the first round of -hp, they can only be raised by divine magic.
Any more suggestions???

LA: It's balanced in the Pathfinder universe; probably +1 for D&D

I'm not wholly convinced this is LA +1. Obviously Strength and Constitution are two of the better stats to get bonuses two for warriors, and the Charisma loss will affect few, but the other abilities aren't that impressive.

Heat is significant only at the very earliest levels of play (and that could be mitigated a bit by making it 1d4 rather than a straight +4), and the other abilities are fairly standard. Compared to the other strong LA +0 races (humans, strongheart halflings, dwarves, etc.), this is an alternative, not an outright improvement. What I'm saying is, if you want it to be LA +1, I think it needs more. Like everything dwarves get, maybe, in addition to the fire-themed stuff and the Strength.

You know what would be cool? Shaping fire. Maybe once they reach 5 Hit Dice, they can control their heat ability more, allowing them to make ranged touch attacks (raising damage with HD...something like (1d6+4)/two levels), start things on fire from farther away, light up areas without being in them, etc.

Just an idea. :smallamused:

ninjaneer003
2010-06-15, 03:18 PM
You know what would be cool? Shaping fire. Maybe once they reach 5 Hit Dice, they can control their heat ability more, allowing them to make ranged touch attacks (raising damage with HD...something like (1d6+4)/two levels), start things on fire from farther away, light up areas without being in them, etc.

This is a cool idea

Kinslayer777
2010-06-21, 11:59 AM
OOOoooo i like
just an idea you could also make it a concentration check to see if they can repress it. likey likey though

so what are the Jotunkyn and Dverger?

O and i think a fire breathing feat might be cool probable have it be a certain times per-day and have it lvl with HD

or maybe a steel skin feat that kind of like the one the stone people got

Jotunkn=Children of the Giants and Dvegr is Dwarf in Old Norse. It's stuff I'm using in the campaign.

Any suggestions on firebreathing feat?

Kinslayer777
2010-06-21, 12:05 PM

I like it! Do you think it's an unbalanced free ability at 5th level? Should it have more prereqs?

endoperez
2010-06-21, 06:43 PM
Damn, I've lost this post TWO TIMES already! :smallfurious: I've already spent hours rewriting this again and again... And then I go to preview and POOF! nothing! Damn this mobile internet thingy! I'd probably get a better connection from my PHONE! :smallfurious:

Fax Celestis' d20Rebirth has cool racial feats, including something for a fiery race of Phoe-kuns (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121942). Sorry for the hacked copy here, but this has taken me way too long already. I don't even play D&D! Any way, I'm not sure if a d20r feat is balanced on normal D&D straight away, you might have to increase the pre-reqs.

Phoenix Inheritor [Phoe-Kun]
Brúni Firesoul [Brúni]
Prerequisites: Charisma 15, BAB +3
Prerequisites: Constitution 15, BAB +3

Benefit: Upon selecting this feat, choose one of the following options:

Extra damage dealt from your class features (such as Ambush, Strafe, Lucky Shot, or Sneak Attack) is converted to fire damage. You may activate or deactivate this ability as a swift action.
Your melee and ranged weapon attacks deal an additional 1d6 fire damage.
Spells you cast with the [Fire] descriptor or weave with the Fire seed deal an additional point of fire damage per die.
Your aura effect (such as that produced by a paladin's Mantle of Faith or a warlord's Auras) that produces a morale, sacred, or competence bonus to allies within its area of effect increases that bonus by 1.

You gain one natural talent charge per day.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you gain an additional natural talent charge and select a different option.

Anyway, here's the meat of this post. Basically, I got thinking about exactly how much time does a brúni take to burn through some stuff, and also about coming up with something better than 5% chance of accidentally setting important things to fire. It's a cool race, but "I want to burn this, what's going to happen" is BOUND to come up...

When a brúni handles an object normally, he deals it 1 point of fire damage per round.

A brúni can take a standard action to deal 2 point of fire damage, or a full-round action to deal 4 points of fire damage, to a single otherwise unattanded object he is touching. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

A brúni can also focus the heat on a specific target continuously for several rounds. This is a full-round action that deals 6 points of fire damage. Focusing the heat requires that the brúni stays in contact with the target object, takes the brúni's full attention, provokes an attack of opportunity, and requires a Concentration check if he's distracted. If he fails the concentration check, he will deal 4 points of fire damage instead of 6.

Choosing to start or stop the suppression of the Heat ability is a swift action. While the heat is suppressed, the brúni's Heat ability deals 1 less point of fire damage to whatever he is touching. The suppression can be maintained indefinitely and does not require concentration.

And that's it. What does it mean?

The brúni can't harm objects made from materials with hardness 6 or higher, such as stone and metal.
All materials with hardness, including wood and leather, are safe unless the brúni spends an action dealing damage to them.
Everything without hardness, such as ropes and cloth and paper, will burn unless the heat is suppressed.

Examples:

Rules, hp and hardness taken from here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm

Fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. A damaged object remains fully functional until the item’s hit points are reduced to 0, at which point it is destroyed.

A scroll: paper, 0 hardness, 2 hp/inch of thickness, full damage
The scroll has 1 hp. If a brúni handles it normally, it takes 1 point of fire damage and burns up. If he suppresses his fire, he deals it 0 damage and it's in no danger of being burned up.
If the brúni wants to destroy a scroll (or something else made from paper), he can just stop suppressing his heat, which causes him to deal 1 damage to the scroll and burn it up.
If he has something important in his other hand, or on him, he could also spend a standard action to deal 2 points of damage to the scroll, or 1 if he keeps suppressing his heat - enough to destroy it! A full-round action is also possible, but an overkill.

Rope: 0 hardness, 2 hp/inch of thickness
The material of the rope would have an effect, here. If it's something that burns easily, he'll burn through it automatically if he doesn't suppress his heat, but it will take a few rounds. He can also burn through an inch-thick rope as a standard action.
If the rope is wet or has been lugged around outside by adventurers or is made from leather, damage against it is halved. A standard action now only deals 1 point of damage to it, and even unsuppressed heat ability won't burn through it. However, the brúni can spend a full-round action to deal 4 points of damage to the rope, burning through 2 inches per round! Out of combat, he could focus his heat to deal 6 points of damage, instead, doubling the speed at which he burns through the ropes.

A leather-covered tome: hardness 2 when closed, 3-4 hp
If he could get the book open, two standard actions or one full-round action would be enough to destroy a book, since the pages are just paper. However, leather covers have hardness of two. A standard action won't be enough to deal damage to a closed book; the brúni has to spend full-round actions on it. Since the book would be kept dry, the item takes full damage. It burns illegible in one, two or three rounds, depending on how much of his attention the brúni gives to it and if he's suppressing his heat or not. Note that it would be perfectly usable until reduced to 0 hp!

A wooden door: hardness 5, 10 hp /inch
Most doors won't have a chance to dry totally dry, especially when they're keeping the weather out of homes or adventurers out of damp dungeons. Those doors will halve the fire damage, and the brúni can't destroy them with his racial ability. Even when he finds a dry door, perhaps something to keep rowdy adventurers in a dungeon for a while, a normal full-round action won't be enough to damage the door. He has to focus the heat and spend 10 rounds dealing 1 point of damage (6 - hardness of 5) per turn, and he can't be suppressing his heat while doing that, either. Not a long time out of a fight, but IN a fight, that would draw lots of unwanted attention.

So, what about working metals and making bigger fires?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heatmetal.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlFlames.htm

Tindertwigs catching fire on their own (1 fire damage) and taking a standard action to light a torch sound about right.
Big fires take longer: 1d6 rounds for a small fire, 2d6 for a hearty campfire, 3d6 rounds for a forge-level heat. Flames bigger than that, like "burning tavern", take more than one square and need more stuff.

And then we look at the Heat Metal spell. Let's say 1d6 rounds to heat metal "warm", 2d6 to "hot" and 3d6 to "searing", and that searing is hot enough to forge it. Heating metal requires full attention, and you have to take Concentration if you're distracted or being lugged around in a cart.