View Full Version : Martial arts.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 12:48 AM
So, I really need something to do this Summer. How hard would it be to learn one of these? Or does it really depend on the style? I don't expect to master it or anything close. I just want to know the basics. Unfortunately I can't really afford a teacher so this would all be either stuff I could find on the net or books from my library.

Given that, is it possible or should I give up now and save myself the disappointment?

Icewalker
2010-06-10, 12:50 AM
Well, as you're looking for self-taught, you probably won't come out with anything terribly useful, and you probably won't come out with anything terribly good for the style you're trying to learn, more or less so depending on the martial art.

Still, you could learn a lot, and get a rough impression of the basics, from such learning. Some martial arts will also be a lot easier to find resources for than others because they're so common. You might want to try Tai Chi? Seems like it might be a good choice.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 12:52 AM
Tai Chi might be good. Here are the ones I'd want to learn if I could but I'm pretty sure almost all of them would require an actual teacher.

Kendo
Kajukenbo
Hapkido
Northern Snake style
German Ju-Jutsu
Krav Maga

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 12:53 AM
I'd recommend against teaching yourself, personally. Even if you just find a friend of yours who's been taught some martial arts, being trained by someone is always preferable to book learning.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 12:55 AM
I'd recommend against teaching yourself, personally. Even if you just find a friend of yours who's been taught some martial arts, being trained by someone is always preferable to book learning.

Okay.

Guess I need a different hobby then.

Erts
2010-06-10, 12:58 AM
Okay.

Well, while I agree with Psycho that it is almost better to get an instructor, you could always get a punching bag and look up some drill.

I forget who said this, but it is famous
"At school, we learn. At home, we practice."

Catch
2010-06-10, 01:01 AM
Okay.

Now don't quit just yet. Have you considered yoga?

It's not a martial art, but you develop physical and mental discipline, it's fantastically healthy, and you can teach yourself with books and free internet videos.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 01:06 AM
Yoga might be okay.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-10, 01:35 AM
So, I really need something to do this Summer. How hard would it be to learn one of these? Or does it really depend on the style? I don't expect to master it or anything close. I just want to know the basics. Unfortunately I can't really afford a teacher so this would all be either stuff I could find on the net or books from my library.

Given that, is it possible or should I give up now and save myself the disappointment?
Join the SCA (http://sca.org/) and take up heavy weapons or rapier (and/or unarmed Western martial arts if anyone in your area does that, which has a pretty fair chance of being the case). Practice and instruction are free, most groups have loaner weapons and armor, and you don't have to pay for membership unless you intend to authorize for fighting at events. You'll get far more use out of that than you will trying to reconstruct a martial art from reading books.

Icewalker
2010-06-10, 01:39 AM
You also might be able to find a program which doesn't cost money to study in. Would require some looking, but may well be some around.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 01:40 AM
Join the SCA (http://sca.org/) and take up heavy weapons or rapier (and/or unarmed Western martial arts if anyone in your area does that, which has a pretty fair chance of being the case). Practice and instruction are free, most groups have loaner weapons and armor, and you don't have to pay for membership unless you intend to authorize for fighting at events. You'll get far more use out of that than you will trying to reconstruct a martial art from reading books.

Hmm. Looking it over. Trying to find somewhere close to where I live right now. Or any way to find the location at all.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 01:40 AM

What Kingdom is in Indiana, anyway? :smallconfused: (Should've thought to suggest the SCA when Kendo was mentioned...)

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 01:42 AM
What Kingdom is in Indiana, anyway? :smallconfused: (Should've thought to suggest the SCA when Kendo was mentioned...)

The middle kingdom apparently.

The only concern I have is the titles of these places all sound like creepy cults. The "Shire of shadowed stars"? I have to know where they came up with that name.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 01:44 AM
The middle kingdom apparently.

The only concern I have is the titles of these places all sound like creepy cults.

I thought as much. Middle Kingdom's pretty big. Even bigger back when Northshield was a Principality of it.

And like any group, there's always the small batch of crazies. I generally just avoid them and go back to beating people senseless with rattan swords.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 01:46 AM
Well, if I can convince my parents to allow me to do this I have a hobby this Summer.

If not, I'll look up Tai Chi or Yoga.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 01:49 AM
Hm. Maybe instead of fussing about my lack of armor I should just start using loaner gear and get back on the field. I miss sword fighting...

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 01:58 AM
Hm. Maybe instead of fussing about my lack of armor I should just start using loaner gear and get back on the field. I miss sword fighting...

.....Actual armor with actual swords? I guess that's what the waiver they mention is for but can't you get seriously hurt doing that? Or does the armor cover most of the parts that'd be vulnerable?

I have no experience with actual swordfighting so I figured I'd ask.

I also have no idea what I'm complaining about since that's pretty much what I want to do anyway.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:04 AM
.....Actual armor with actual swords? I guess that's what the waiver they mention is for but can't you get seriously hurt doing that? Or does the armor cover most of the parts that'd be vulnerable?

I have no experience with actual swordfighting so I figured I'd ask.

I also have no idea what I'm complaining about since that's pretty much what I want to do anyway.

Actual armor, rattan swords. And yes, broken bones happen. Hence the armor.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 02:17 AM
Actual armor, rattan swords. And yes, broken bones happen. Hence the armor.

What exactly is a Rattan sword? I'm getting a bunch of results on google image, none of which are useful.

Hmm. Broken bones. Don't like those. Despite never having one. I kind of don't want to either.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:18 AM
What exactly is a Rattan sword? I'm getting a bunch of results on google image, none of which are useful.

Hmm. Broken bones. Don't like those. Despite never having one. I kind of don't want to either.

Rattan is sorta like bamboo, I suppose. It's wood.

Don't like 'em either. That's why I generally go for overkill with my armor.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 02:27 AM
Rattan is sorta like bamboo, I suppose. It's wood.

Don't like 'em either. That's why I generally go for overkill with my armor.

Overkill?one character away.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:28 AM
Overkill?one character away.

To use a DnD analogy, I try to wear Banded Mail when Scale Mail is all that's nessicary.

potatocubed
2010-06-10, 06:29 AM
To be fair, any kind of physical exercise carries a risk of injury - combatative exercise like martial arts is probably slightly more risky, but in several years I only ever saw two injuries.

endoperez
2010-06-10, 10:15 AM
I don't think you could find a Tai Chi easy to learn without a teacher. You could learn to do something that looks like it and learn some of the principles, but there's many really small details that you won't notice unless they're pointed out to you. If you still want to learn, Taijiman777 has the best educational Tai Chi videos I've seen in youtube so far. Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3NMQlDGsJQ

There's lots of things you can learn on your own. Some of those are things that are related to martial arts, and are helpful for martial artists, and may be practiced in martial arts. You can wrestle with friends, or do pushups and squats and run, or jump rope and practice breathing, or learn to punch a bag, or throw things precisely. If you took part in a course, you'd probably spend almost half of the time doing several of these things, and would have to learn a smattering of foreign and/or really specific words that'd have almost no use outside the classes, as well.

If you decide to do some physical training on your own, you could always ask around if someone nearby would be able to teach you something. Some people know self-defense, some people know judo, some people used to do boxing, someone was in a fight and asked for tips from a friend, someone used to work as a bouncer or a bodyguard, or was in the military. If you ask around and have a bit of luck, you could find someone willing to teach you something you'd like to learn.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-10, 11:51 AM

Yet you're interested in martial arts, which are at least as likely to do the same thing. :smalltongue: That's why I also suggested rapier, which does not involve beating people senseless, since "kills" are scored by lightest touch, not the "Yeah, that would have killed me through armor if it was sharp" standard of heavy armored combat.

As for group names, I wouldn't put too much stock in how they sound to the modern ear. Most are simply modern translations of ancient place-names; I don't know about Shadowed Stars in particular, but I'd place bets that it's simply a translation of a place-name from some medieval language or other. Fort Wayne being all the way across the state from me, I haven't been up there and if I've met people from there at other events, I don't know it, but I wouldn't be concerned over the group name. At any rate, it's certainly not anything even resembling a cult. Actually, the FBI classifies us as a militia because we drill military tactics, even though the tactics in question are hundreds of years out of date. :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 03:36 PM
Yet you're interested in martial arts, which are at least as likely to do the same thing.

Yes, I know. I'm an extremely confusing person aren't I?

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 03:37 PM
Yet you're interested in martial arts, which are at least as likely to do the same thing. :smalltongue: That's why I also suggested rapier, which does not involve beating people senseless, since "kills" are scored by lightest touch, not the "Yeah, that would have killed me through armor if it was sharp" standard of heavy armored combat.

But beating each other senseless is fun.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 03:40 PM
But beating each other senseless is fun.

Yes. Yes it is.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-10, 09:40 PM
Yes. Yes it is.
Okay, so your problem is...

:smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-10, 09:42 PM
Okay, so your problem is...

:smalltongue:

I'm insane?

It looks like my dad isn't opposed to it so that's good. Now I just have to wait for approval from my mom. (She's currently visiting relatives)

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 10:40 PM
learn white lotus Kungfu

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-10, 11:27 PM
I'm insane?

It looks like my dad isn't opposed to it so that's good. Now I just have to wait for approval from my mom. (She's currently visiting relatives)
If you have to ask for permission from your parents, I presume you're not 18. The youth rules stipulate that at least one legal guardian must be at your first practice to see what goes on, among other things. Exactly what applies depends on how old you are.

Lev
2010-06-10, 11:31 PM
Tai Chi might be good. Here are the ones I'd want to learn if I could but I'm pretty sure almost all of them would require an actual teacher.

Kendo
Kajukenbo
Hapkido
Northern Snake style
German Ju-Jutsu
Krav Maga
Yoga

We had another thread like this just a few weeks ago.

I appreciate Hapkido, Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, Yoga (to an extent, cant be very dangerous) and Tai Chi

Tai Chi is what I focus on with most of my energy right now, it's my most dominant martial art, my favorite, and the most effective in terms of not injuring and breeding awareness and defense, generally things that are more beneficial out of combat than in it seeing as you spend your life mostly out of combat anyway =P

Tai Chi form I never thought was very important, it's a strength building exercise and helps define your superficial backline no matter where your feet or hip is placed but I'm rounding off my first year of hardcore taichi study under some of the best in the world, constantly sparring in application and finding out what it actually means, and I'm only just now realizing how all the things work.... it is very very hard to learn and I don't suggest stepping right into form unless you are very good at un-learning... remember that Tai Chi is taoist... your ability and speed at learning must always be outmatched by your ability and speed at unlearning :smallwink:

Hapkido is very effective, very nice sunken elbows develop, but you gotta crosstrain while learning it or you get very transparent reactions, I've found in others anyway.

I suggest Aikido and try to specialize in disarming techniques from all schools while maintaining a fully defensive and mobile response.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-11, 10:13 AM
If you have to ask for permission from your parents, I presume you're not 18. The youth rules stipulate that at least one legal guardian must be at your first practice to see what goes on, among other things. Exactly what applies depends on how old you are.

Almost eighteen. I'm Seventeen.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 10:29 AM
Almost eighteen. I'm Seventeen.
Okay. Under 16 means different combat rules, but seventeen can basically use the same forms as adults, but can only fight other youths and those fighters who have specifically authorized to fight youth. (We don't let just any Joe start whaling on people's kids; there's a test and a background check for adults who wish to marshal and/or instruct minors.) At least, that's how it's done in the Midrealm. I don't need a specific location, but in general where are you? If you're not in the Midrealm's boundaries, I can find what kingdom law wherever you are says. (There's different rules for the different kingdoms; it can sometimes get complicated when you travel to out-of-kingdom events, but it's usually not too bad.)

Mystic Muse
2010-06-11, 10:31 AM
Fort Wayne Indiana. I'm happy to say I have no crimes on my record so I don't think they're going to find much on a background check.

Also, the Shire of shadowed stars if that helps.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 11:02 AM
Fort Wayne Indiana. I'm happy to say I have no crimes on my record so I don't think they're going to find much on a background check.

Also, the Shire of shadowed stars if that helps.
No, no, no, not a background check for you. :smalltongue: Anyone you fight who's not also under 18 must have had one. It's kind of a new rule; someone's mother got all militant about it so they just changed the rules rather than put up with her/risk the chance she might actually be right.

And Fort Wayne is indeed in the Midrealm. As I said, I don't know if I know anyone up there (where people are from doesn't tend to come up at large events, so I may well have friends there and just not know about it). At any rate, tell them Lord Gilchrist of Stonecroft sent you if you decide to look into it. I'm moderately well known for my work baking for the odd feast and chronicling events on film, if not for my fighting. :smallwink: I just inquired on the kingdom fencing marshals' e-mail list about whether or not they have any youth marshals up there; I'll keep you posted.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-11, 11:26 AM
. At any rate, tell them Lord Gilchrist of Stonecroft sent you if you decide to look into i

Lord Gilchrist? Is that a made up name or your actual name?

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 12:17 PM
Lord Gilchrist? Is that a made up name or your actual name?
Short answer: The first one.

Long answer: Lord is a title; Gilchrist is my Society name. You don't get to style yourself with a title just because; I've been around enough and done enough to be recognized by the Crown and given the right. My real name doesn't go on the Internet; even giving up my SCA alias is bad enough because I can be found out through that. Almost nobody uses real names in the SCA; in fact it's common for people to be good friends for years and not know each other's mundane identities. It's not to be mysterious or anything; we're just reenacting and find modern names detract from the experience. It's by no means required that you make up a persona, though, so don't worry about it if you don't want to.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-11, 12:31 PM
Short answer: The first one.

Long answer: Lord is a title; Gilchrist is my Society name. You don't get to style yourself with a title just because; I've been around enough and done enough to be recognized by the Crown and given the right. My real name doesn't go on the Internet; even giving up my SCA alias is bad enough because I can be found out through that. Almost nobody uses real names in the SCA; in fact it's common for people to be good friends for years and not know each other's mundane identities. It's not to be mysterious or anything; we're just reenacting and find modern names detract from the experience. It's by no means required that you make up a persona, though, so don't worry about it if you don't want to.

Huh. Kind of interesting. I may think up a name of some sort but I'm horrible with those.