PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Enchantment Bonus

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:10 AM
Just wondering about what is a level appropriate enchantment bonus for weapons or armor. My current thought is either:

Enchantment Bonus = Character Level

or

Enchantment Bonus = (Character Level/2)

Which seems more appropriate? Or, if there's a better algorithm, please let me know.

panaikhan
2010-06-10, 02:18 AM
Bonus = Level seems way too powerful.

The ratio should be more like Bonus = Level / 3

In the pre-written modules I've played through, and DM'd, that seems about the ratio. I know my 10th level Warforged has nothing above +3 value, and in a relatively new campaign I am playing in, the 4th level party has nothing above +1.

Hendel
2010-06-10, 02:19 AM
I like the way Greater Magic Weapon does it, but with the idea of not rounding down.

So, character level/4 = Enhancement bonus to weapon

1 = None or masterwork

2-5 = +1

6-9 = +2

10-13 = +3

14-17 = +4

18-20 = +5

Not high-powered, but not really low-powered either. Plus the weapons can have other bonus features that do not add to the enhancement.

Edit: See post below for correction.

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:20 AM
By bonus, I'm referring to (Bonus + Special Abilities), which leads to a potential maximum of +10.

panaikhan
2010-06-10, 02:24 AM
As was I.

In the 10th level party, I think the best weapon is a +1 Shocking Burst rapier.

Hendel
2010-06-10, 02:28 AM
By bonus, I'm referring to (Bonus + Special Abilities), which leads to a potential maximum of +10.

Sorry, your title said enhancement bonus, so that was what I gave you. I would then say, double my earlier numbers or just go with your idea of character level/2 = TOTAL bonus to weapon or some form thereof...

Edit: Sorry, late at night and I read Enchantment as Enhancement, my bad!

panaikhan
2010-06-10, 02:31 AM
If the ratio is too high, then the PC's become insanely difficult to even challenge within their CR 'bandwidth' (there's another thread fighting this very issue, though I think it's getting de-railed).

Drakevarg
2010-06-10, 02:34 AM
Sorry, your title said enhancement bonus, so that was what I gave you. I would then say, double my earlier numbers or just go with your idea of character level/2 = TOTAL bonus to weapon or some form thereof...

Edit: Sorry, late at night and I read Enchantment as Enhancement, my bad!

Alright, I'll go with the CharLvl/2 idea.

Hendel
2010-06-10, 02:36 AM
If the ratio is too high, then the PC's become insanely difficult to even challenge within their CR 'bandwidth' (there's another thread fighting this very issue, though I think it's getting de-railed).

I agree but with your Level/3 ratio at 20th they would have nothing more than a +6 or +7 (total bonus) weapon and I think that would be underpowered going up against most CR 20 to CR 24 creatures. I would have no problem with my players having a +10 (total bonus) weapon at 20th or 21st level.

panaikhan
2010-06-10, 07:18 AM
I'm just pointing out that there needs to be a balance.
If the party are struggling, throw them a bone.
If things are going easy for them, make it slim pickings.

Playing through published modules, PC's tend to be far more resourceful than the writers imagine, and can end up 'over-powered' compared to the bad guys.
On a similar note, if the party balance isn't right, they can struggle. The party with my Warforged in does not have a DPR spellcaster, so some encounters go pretty close to the wire.

Thurbane
2010-06-10, 07:37 AM
Going by the tables in the Magic Item Compendium:

Armor or Shield +1 = 4th
Armor or Shield +2 = 8th
Armor or Shield +3 = 12th
Armor or Shield +4 = 14th
Armor or Shield +5 = 15th

Weapon +1 = 6th
Weapon +2 = 11th
Weapon +3 = 14th
Weapon +4 = 16th
Weapon +5 = 18th

Although these don't necessarily equal character level...

tyckspoon
2010-06-10, 10:14 AM
I agree but with your Level/3 ratio at 20th they would have nothing more than a +6 or +7 (total bonus) weapon and I think that would be underpowered going up against most CR 20 to CR 24 creatures. I would have no problem with my players having a +10 (total bonus) weapon at 20th or 21st level.

Not every character should have or need a +10 weapon or armor. I use the scaling of Greater Magic Weapon/Magic Vestment as the baseline; if your stuff has less total bonus than what you can get by casting that spell, your DM is being ridiculously stingy. Ideally you'll progress a little bit faster, so level/3 is about right. If a character wants his stuff to advance faster than that (like a Fighter, classically) then he can focus his wealth on doing that, but it shouldn't be an assumed level.

Of course, intelligent use of GMW/Magic Vestments will ensure that everybody has effective +10 gear anyway, even with using +6/+7 as the baseline target.