PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Flavored Mind Blade

Dac
2010-06-10, 03:22 AM
Hello there. Over the last day, I've been wondering if it would be possible to use something like a Mind Blade for 4E. Thinking of porting over a character from 3.5, but I'm having trouble. Can anyone help?

Anything that could fulfill the general premise - a blade made from the character's own essence - with a bit of reflavoring would be great.

For example, I remember there being something like a pair of gloves in 3.5 that could store weapons, which could then be brought to you with a snap of the finger, and dismissed just as easily. If there was something like that in 4e, I could easily flavor the summoning as the character forging the mind blades, and also tweak how they appeared visually. Is there anything like that that could be used - something that could be easily taken away from the character?

(I don't believe there is a paragon path that makes a stab at the SK concept, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.)

Badgerish
2010-06-10, 06:16 AM
Yup, there are 'gloves of storage' or there abouts in 4ed

Also, there are DM options/suggestions on how you can provide the effects of magical items as grandmaster-training/divine-boons instead of real physical items. It's just a step further to have a magical longsword as an innate ability (you would upgrade it via enchant item ritual or storyline stuff (which correspondly removes normal magical rewards))

Kyrthain
2010-06-10, 06:18 AM
There;s an assassin paragon path that gives you a shadow blade, which is pretty similar. Not sure if that fits your build/level

Tengu_temp
2010-06-10, 06:37 AM
Reflavoring a monk should work well here.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-06-10, 08:18 AM
My first thought was, as any class, you could take the Heart of the Blade [AP1] swordmage multiclass feat to gain the Swordbond feature, allowing you to summon your blade as a standard action. You can then take the Improved Swordbond [FRPG] feat to summon your blade as a minor action. You get the benefit of having your blade in hand at the cost of a minor action even if you are disarmed or drop your weapon. Reflavor to describe it as forming a blade from your psyche. For your blade, maybe a Force [AV1] Longsword to represent telekinetic force, or work with your DM to create an equivalent that does psychic damage and is immune to rust monsters.

But, I really prefer the idea of reflavoring the monk. I think that's perfect.

Erom
2010-06-10, 08:34 AM
My first though was Heart of the Blade as well, since that would allow your weapon-appearification to be an innate ability rather than tied to your gloves.

BlckDv
2010-06-10, 08:50 AM
I'd suggest using one of the Ki Focus classes, as that unbinds your vital Enhancement bonus from the weapon itself, but does leave an item that can be taken, which the OP seemed to want.

Once you have done that, you have many paths including the two above.. re-flavor a monk so that his attacks create blades of mental energy instead of just hit, go with an assassin and as long as you are starting out above level one, it should not be a big advantage to let him wear a "Focusing glove" that creates a mental weapon with the same stats as a one handed weapon he is proficient with (I can see some cheese if two handed were allowed), as long as the glove is obviously magical the character should be equally subject to being disarmed by guards, etc. Make it metal just so it is subject to the same risks (like rust monsters), and require the same actions to activate/deactivate as any normal weapon to draw/sheathe.

As noted above, if you are paragon level, Assassin even has a path (Shadowblade) that is able to make a very nice sword out of thin air as a minor action... and that blade has several nice benefits (such as can be thrown)

Tiki Snakes
2010-06-10, 10:26 AM
A weapon that you can summon and dismiss at will?
Summoned Weapon is one of the most basic enchantments, infact. Should do everything you need.

I can't recall if there is or isn't a relevant paragon path for this. Will scratch around and see.
[edit] No sign of a paragon path (though reflavoured monk does seem the best route, even think there are a couple of appropriate powers).

Monk with an appropriate summoning weapon (which can be a level 1 magic item because for attacks etc you'll be using your Ki focus, you only need the summonable side of things) should do what you need it to. :smallsmile:

Thajocoth
2010-06-10, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't know anything about Mind Blades, so I can only guess off of other people's responses, but there's a weapon enchantment somewhere that makes a weapon invisible until it hits an enemy. It'll look like you're summoning it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-10, 11:50 AM
Monk would be a great fit. *restrains self from "monk psion rant"* Since it's a psionic class in 4th Edition, you're pretty much all the way there.

TheEmerged
2010-06-10, 01:13 PM
As for how to refluff t?

Take the 4e Monk.

Rename the "Flurry of" powers to "Soul Knife".

You're mostly done just with that one change :smallredface: