PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice? [D&D 3.5]

Critical
2010-06-10, 09:16 AM
So, I've joined a new campaign, and the party lacks a meat shield. The ability scores I rolled as follows: 18, 17, 14, 12, 9, 6. The attempt to create a standard fighter/psychic warrior tanky build failed, because of MAD. So, any ideas how to put these scores to good use for a tank character? I'm thinking a druid, but he probably won't be able to tank at low levels, and I'm not big on druids. :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-10, 09:22 AM
So, I've joined a new campaign, and the party lacks a meat shield. The ability scores I rolled as follows: 18, 17, 14, 12, 9, 6. The attempt to create a standard fighter/psychic warrior tanky build failed, because of MAD. So, any ideas how to put these scores to good use for a tank character? I'm thinking a druid, but he probably won't be able to tank at low levels, and I'm not big on druids. :smallsmile:

You have GREAT scores for MAD, actually.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 9
Wis 14
Cha 6

You can swap Dex and Int if you want to. Basically, your best powers are buffs, so the DC doesn't need to be that high. You have 3 stats you can dump, depending on the way you build your character. That set up will get you pretty far as a Psychic Warrior/Fighter.

You could also go Barbarian easily, and both Warblade and Crusader could work very well.

Warblade
Str 18
Dex 9
Con 17
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 6

Crusader
Str 17
Dex 12
Con 18
Int 9
Wis 14
Cha 6

Critical
2010-06-10, 09:34 AM
You have GREAT scores for MAD, actually.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 9
Wis 14
Cha 6

You can swap Dex and Int if you want to. Basically, your best powers are buffs, so the DC doesn't need to be that high. You have 3 stats you can dump, depending on the way you build your character. That set up will get you pretty far as a Psychic Warrior/Fighter.

You could also go Barbarian easily, and both Warblade and Crusader could work very well.

Warblade
Str 18
Dex 9
Con 17
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 6

Crusader
Str 17
Dex 12
Con 18
Int 9
Wis 14
Cha 6
Yeah, but the second one has negative dexterity, which is kind of a bummer for a meat shield, the first and the third one don't have enough Int to pick up Combat Expertise, which is almost a must for a tanky character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-10, 09:41 AM
+1 to Crusader, get Stone Power and go sword-and-board. If you're starting out above 1st level you should pick up Mineral Warrior (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) even if it means abysmally low mental stats, particularly if you can buy off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) and eventually catch back up.

A single-classed Psychic Warrior actually makes quite a nice meat shield given the heavy armor and psionic feats in Races of Stone. Go Dwarf with Str 18, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 7 after racial adjustments, focus your skill points on Concentration but put a few ranks in Autohypnosis. Take Focused Shield, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Heavy Armor Optimization, Deflective Armor, and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization as soon as possible. Use the typical Linked Power and Overchannel + Talented for buffs, and use a Deep Crystal weapon to improve your damage. The Iron Mind prestige class in Races of Stone would make you more effective without sacrificing much, especially if you can pick up Iron Will via the Otyugh Hole instead of spending a feat on it.

Another option would be something like Crusader or Warblade 4/ Sanctified Mind 1/ War Mind 10/ Sanctified Mind 5, though you'd need a positive Int modifier to meet the skill requirements. I'd use Crusader with Str 18, Dex 9, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 6, and don't forget to take Practiced Manifester as your 6th level feat. You'd need to use a psionic race, Elan or Maenad would be a decent choice.

Yeah, but the second one has negative dexterity, which is kind of a bummer for a meat shield, the first and the third one don't have enough Int to pick up Combat Expertise, which is almost a must for a tanky character.

Combat Expertise is only necessary if you're going for a chain tripper and need Improved Trip, and even then you can just grab two levels in Wolf Totem Barbarian and make Int a dump stat.