PDA

View Full Version : Converting face/reach from 3.0

Another_Poet
2010-06-10, 09:38 AM
A monster in a D&D 3.0 source book is a Large animal with a face/reach of 5' by 5'/10'.

I am converting said monster to 3.5/PF and wonder how to deal with this. Should I:

Keep the space as 5'x5' and the reach as 10', as a special exception?
Increase the space to 10x10', with a reach of 10', as is standard for 3.5 Large monsters?
Increase the space to 10'x10', but drop the reach to 5', so its effective reach is the same?
Some other solution?

I don't want to have a "Large" creature that is only a single 5' square, but if I bump it to a 10' space and leave its reach at 10' its threatened area grows quite a bit. It is being used as an animal companion so the decision will have long-term consequences from one session to the next. Please advise.

Eldariel
2010-06-10, 09:40 AM
A monster in a D&D 3.0 source book is a Large animal with a face/reach of 5' by 5'/10'.

I am converting said monster to 3.5/PF and wonder how to deal with this. Should I:

Keep the space as 5'x5' and the reach as 10', as a special exception?
Increase the space to 10x10', with a reach of 10', as is standard for 3.5 Large monsters?
Increase the space to 10'x10', but drop the reach to 5', so its effective reach is the same?
Some other solution?

I don't want to have a "Large" creature that is only a single 5' square, but if I bump it to a 10' space and leave its reach at 10' its threatened area grows quite a bit. It is being used as an animal companion so the decision will have long-term consequences from one session to the next. Please advise.

Keep it as is. 3.5 already does that sort of exceptions every now and then; it was an exception in 3.0 and should carry over to 3.5 just fine. Unless it's 5'/10' creature with 5' reach? 'cause that'd translate into Large Long.

Flickerdart
2010-06-10, 09:57 AM
Give it spiked chains for arms, everyone will understand.

Another_Poet
2010-06-10, 10:08 AM
Keep it as is. 3.5 already does that sort of exceptions every now and then; it was an exception in 3.0 and should carry over to 3.5 just fine. Unless it's 5'/10' creature with 5' reach? 'cause that'd translate into Large Long.

Would you let a Medium creature ride this 5'x5' Large creature?

Eldariel
2010-06-10, 10:33 AM
Would you let a Medium creature ride this 5'x5' Large creature?

As long as it claims to be Large, I would. Don't really see a reason not to.

Another_Poet
2010-06-10, 10:47 AM
One other question for you guys, for a Large creature with 10' reach on its natural weapons, is its reach inclusive (like a spiked chain) or specific (like a long spear)?

PersonMan
2010-06-10, 10:51 AM
Inclusive. Long arms means you can smack someone close to you as well as farther away.

Assuming it has arms. Unless it doesn't have joints or something, it should be fine.

Another_Poet
2010-06-10, 10:56 AM
Inclusive. Long arms means you can smack someone close to you as well as farther away.

Assuming it has arms. Unless it doesn't have joints or something, it should be fine.

Great. Thanks guys!!