PDA

View Full Version : Digimon in DnD

Dragonvcat
2010-06-10, 09:47 AM
Well, I don't actuially have any of them,. but I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have some homebrew stats for using different digimon as races in DnD, and if so, how do you guys work digivolving?

erikun
2010-06-10, 01:35 PM
Not that I am aware of, no. There is a Pokemon D&D floating around somewhere - probably more than one - but it stats the Pokemon and their evolutions as monsters rather than player classes.

You might be able to use that, or not, depending on your goals.

Dragonvcat
2010-06-10, 03:33 PM
Not that I am aware of, no. There is a Pokemon D&D floating around somewhere - probably more than one - but it stats the Pokemon and their evolutions as monsters rather than player classes.

You might be able to use that, or not, depending on your goals.

where can I find that?

Sintanan
2010-06-10, 04:29 PM
A quick forum search turned up some likely candidates:
1)Pokémon 4E - GitP Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142852)
XXENWorld PDF (http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachments/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/43104d1267202964-d-d-4th-edition-pokemon-tabletop-rpg-trainers-handbook.pdf) (follow-up from thread)
XXXXThe PDF looks like a full conversion. Couldn't tell you, I don't play 4E.
2)Pokémon RPG - GitP Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120720)
XXXXCustom rules, appears to be a little 4E mixed in.
3)Pokémon D&D - Off-site Link (http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/)
XXXXCustom rules, Pokédex incomplete.
4)Pokémon d20 - Off-site Link (http://pokemondtwenty.wikidot.com/)
XXXXLooks fairly complete. Haven't given it a thorough look, though.

Hope this helps.

Dragonvcat
2010-06-10, 07:19 PM
thanks for the links dude, they'll help alot

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-10, 07:54 PM
Making most of the monsters themselves should be easy enough. It'd mostly be the digivolving I would see a problem with. Though I suppose that could just be a specialized form of advancing.

Edit: Actually, after I get back from Japan I'd love to work on some of these... if anybody's interested in collaborating...

Zombieboots
2010-06-10, 10:12 PM
Why do you need a Digievoling ability? Most Digimon came "As it" in the show or only evoled under special circumstance, such as the Kids in danger/needing to fight/death. Or from special digivices (D3's, Cellphone, Card Sliders, etc).

D&D already has a few monsters that "evolved" there isn't a special Ex for it. It's just two different monsters with different stats, and some fluff in the description. If you really need something then "Digivolution twice per day for a number of rounds equal to creatures HD." or similar and then focus on making monsters.

I'd be glad to lend a hand.

erikun
2010-06-10, 11:07 PM
You might want to consider what version of Digimon you're focusing your game on. Adventure (kids with Digimon) is a bit different than Tamers (kids with Digimon with upgrade cards) which is different than Frontier (kids are Digimon) and having something like a flying partner Digimon is quite a bit different than being able to fly yourself.

You'll probably want to consider Digivolving as well - do the Digimon wander around Digivolved, or do they Digivolve for battle? The latter would need some kind of Digivolve system/energy meter to determine how long it lasts, while the former would have stricter requirements on what you need to Digivolve, since gaining an evolution means you are permanently stronger.

I'm curious as to how this will work, so I'm tentatively on board.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-11, 05:27 AM
You'll probably want to consider Digivolving as well - do the Digimon wander around Digivolved, or do they Digivolve for battle? The latter would need some kind of Digivolve system/energy meter to determine how long it lasts, while the former would have stricter requirements on what you need to Digivolve, since gaining an evolution means you are permanently stronger.

I think we could do both, the latter being handled by a Digivice item. Like I said before, I think the natural Digivolving would work well as a modified advancement (2-5 Rookie, 6-11 Champion, 12-17 Ultimate, 18-20 Mega or similar).

Why do you need a Digievoling ability? Most Digimon came "As it" in the show or only evoled under special circumstance, such as the Kids in danger/needing to fight/death. Or from special digivices (D3's, Cellphone, Card Sliders, etc).

Wasn't that because of extenuating circumstances? I know it was in Adventure 2, where it was the Dark Spires or whatever. And I remember a Fronteir episode where a Tsunamon digivolved without help from Digivices (although I suppose that could have been a special plot case).

Man, this project is right up there with Monster Rancher d20 on my want to do list.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-11, 05:55 PM
:smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: Ooooooooooooooooo, I LOVE stating stuff out! Tell me about these Pokemon ripoffs and I'll stat them out right away. Yeee Heee Hee Hee, life is good! :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Will you be wanting 3.5, Pathfinder, or 4.0?

Deathdarken
2010-06-11, 06:07 PM
:smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: Ooooooooooooooooo, I LOVE stating stuff out! Tell me about these Pokemon ripoffs and I'll stat them out right away. Yeee Heee Hee Hee, life is good! :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Will you be wanting 3.5, Pathfinder, or 4.0?
they were created in about the same time, digimon are better however they are data, and there are tons of them, each with their own move set

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-12, 10:15 PM
Alright, I was bored, so I statted up a possible stat block for Fresh Digimon (3.5):

Fresh Digimon

Diminuitive Magical Beast (Digimon)
Hit Dice: Ľ 1d8-1 (1)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10 feet (2 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 Size), 15 touch, 14 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-13
Attack: Bubble Blow +5 (1)
Full Attack: Bubble Blow +5 (1)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Bubble Blow
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities Str 1, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills:
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Digital World
Organization: Family (1 + 2 Champion Digimon), Pair (1 + Humanoid Partner)
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually True Neutral
Advancement: ˝ (In Training), 1-5 (Rookie)
Level Adjustment: -

The statistics presented work for most Fresh Digimon, which probably won’t be fighting anyway. Some might need slight adjustments, such as a flight speed or slight changes to Bubble Blow.

Combat

Bubble Blow (Ex)
As a standard action, a Fresh Digimon may use its Bubble Blow attack. It launches a cloud of bubble at its opponent, as a ranged touch attack with a range of 10 feet, dealing 1 point of acid damage.

Thoughts and comments?

erikun
2010-06-13, 08:28 PM
I was going to question the Diminuitive size, but I guess that the fresh/in-training digimon are all really tiny. I guess we're saving Tiny and Small for most Rookies?

Most advancement doesn't have an overlap. Do we want 1st level/ECL 1 to be Rookie form or In-Training form? Having the option to create an In-Training without resorting to 1/2 HD is a good idea, but most people playing would likely be more interesting in the Rookie forms anyways. Plus, In-Training is supposed to be weak...

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-14, 06:05 AM
I was going to question the Diminuitive size, but I guess that the fresh/in-training digimon are all really tiny. I guess we're saving Tiny and Small for most Rookies?

Pretty much. I argued a lot with myself over it, but I decided Diminuitive for Fresh, and Tiny for In-Training. I figured that Rookies were all different enough that I wouldn't be able to make a single stat block for them.

Hell, it might be tough for In-Training mons.

Most advancement doesn't have an overlap. Do we want 1st level/ECL 1 to be Rookie form or In-Training form? Having the option to create an In-Training without resorting to 1/2 HD is a good idea, but most people playing would likely be more interesting in the Rookie forms anyways. Plus, In-Training is supposed to be weak...

Ah, that was a typo. Rookie was supposed to start at 2. But now that you mention it, I think I might make In-Training only 1/2/.