PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Lornal

Rizban
2010-06-10, 12:24 PM
The man looks over to a nearby desk.

"Kurt! You're off early, go home."

The man looks scared, afraid that he might have just lost his job...

"That's a message from Duke Elsko Dietrich to his estate. I want it copied word for word in a legible hand, three copies, and quickly too.

After that, I want you to do some sums and balance this budget for a local business based on these receipts.

Come on now, we don't have all day."

Ormagoden
2010-06-10, 04:13 PM
"Am I to assume standard wages then? Mister..." Lornal says as he moves to the desk and inspects the document. He doesn't quite sit yet waiting for the man's reply and his name.

Rizban
2010-06-10, 04:40 PM
"Schreiber, Reinhard Schreiber.

You will be paid if your work is quality. If not, then your entire wage will go into paying for the materials you ruin and the time you waste."

Ormagoden
2010-06-10, 10:12 PM
Lornal chuckles, "Alright then fair enough Schreiber." He sets his pack down near his chair, pulls his crossbow from his side and sets it on it and gets to work. He stares at the main copy once for a few moments before setting it aside and beginning work. He uses a test sheet to get the hand correct first and then gets right to copying as requested.

Rizban
2010-06-11, 12:37 AM
((Can you PM me a link to your character sheet again?

Also, craft/profession check.))

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 09:29 AM
Lornal begins working quickly and steadily. His elegance is slow at first but like riding a horse once you learn it only takes getting in the saddle again to remember.

Sent the sheet to you when needed.
Also
Profession: Scribe [roll0]

Rizban
2010-06-11, 10:33 AM
Ouch, a 1.

Schreiber watches over your shoulder.

"You have been out of the game a bit, haven't you? That's good enough for now though."

He snatches the letters away before the ink is even fully dry hands them off to a young scribe, who dashes out the front door with them.

"Try a bit harder on the next task, yeah?"

Another scribe drops a poorly kept ledger on the desk along with a small stack of receipts. Schreiber smirks.

"I'll return in an hour to see if you've completed this task. If you somehow manage to finish more quickly, send a youngling to fetch me."

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 10:41 AM
Lornal continues to work diligently. He is a bit disappointed that his work wasn't up to snuff but he doesn't let it get him down. He flexes his hand, takes off his jacket and vest and gets comfortable before he starts to work on the ledger.

"I'll have it done right away."

That's his only response to the command. He smirks to the man dropping of the ledger. "Thank you. I'm Lornal, it will be nice working with you." He says politely before going over the ledger and beginning work.

So what was the content of the duke's letter and the content of the new journal he's been handed. I don't need a whole type up if its too tedious a summary would do :D

Rizban
2010-06-11, 10:53 AM
The letter was to the castellan over his estate. It asked him for an update on the conditions of the property and to give greetings to his children. There were a few specific questions about the health and condition of some of the family members and servants, but nothing that you noted as being significant. There were no names in the letter, only initials or nicknames. It's impossible for you to discern any of the people discussed.

The Ledger is for one "Wendel's Wonders," which, judging by the shoddy bookkeeping and contents of the receipts appears to be either a shop selling powerful magical items or a really bad gift shop.

Make another profession roll with a +5 modifier this time (Half ranks + Int mod).

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 10:55 AM
Lornal rubs his chin and gets to work. He organizes the receipts and checks the ledger. Seeing as how this city has recently taken a turn towards becoming a boom town; he is extra careful to mark any discrepancies.

EDIT: Looks like I'm moving up in the world! a 2!

Rizban
2010-06-11, 10:58 AM
You realize that you made a mistake, surreptitiously scrap what you've started and try again.

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 11:15 AM
Oh so I'm using profession as a craft check?

Rizban
2010-06-11, 11:18 AM
No, you're making a profession check. You just secretly scrapped the paper you were writing out the figures you were calculating on and restarted, giving you a free reroll of that check...

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 11:40 AM
Frustrated with his lack of a steady hand and focused mind he rubs his temples and slides the waste paper into the nearby bin. Cracking his knuckles he starts again.

maybe I'll get a 3 this time!

Rizban
2010-06-11, 11:53 AM
Schriebner returns just after the hour has passed, and he is quite impressed with your work. He hands slides 10 gold to you and writes out a quick letter of reference.

"Now, keep in mind you aren't a member of the union, so you aren't going to necessarily get the best jobs around, but this letter will go quite far. You're certain to get a job with a good merchant or maybe even a minor noble. I recommend you start looking around. You prove yourself out there, get some local work experience, and I'm sure you'll be accepted into the guild here in no time at all."

He pats you on the back and goes about his business, very glad that you managed to finish in just over an hour what would have taken Kurt the next two days to puzzle out.

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 12:09 PM
Lornal nods thoughtfully, "Thank you Schriebner, this is honestly much more than I expected. Please keep the gold then, if your reference will go that far then it is pay enough." He rolls the letter of reference and gathers his things.

He takes a look around the union for some sort of freelance work board. A minor noble sounded like a good place to work towards. Nobles need scribes and bodyguards...

Rizban
2010-06-11, 12:13 PM
The only collection of jobs stored here is available only to members. You'll have to solicit yourself. YOur best bet is the collection of small estates just outside the Nobles' District or in the Mages' Quarter. Wizards deal with dusty old tomes all day, so you just know they get tired of reading and writing.

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 12:30 PM
He heads on back to the Maid and Mermaid and see what he can gather about the local nobles and wizards then. Unless there is an upper scale inn or eatery he could possibly seek out which might have better rumors pertaining to higher class people.

also to be clear, lornal leaves the gold behind. I put it on my sheet but then removed it.

Rizban
2010-06-11, 02:41 PM
The only higher class inn of which you are aware is inside the Nobles' District... an area you can't easily access yet.

Ormagoden
2010-06-11, 02:56 PM
Off to the streets then!

Rizban
2010-06-11, 03:11 PM
Why is it that people have tried to talk their way in, bully their way in, sneak in, or other such tactics, but not one single person has yet considered trying to simply bribe a guard to look the other way?

Ormagoden
2010-06-15, 09:19 AM
I don't want to start an argument but generally when you get stonewalled pretty harsh and then all of a sudden the normal rules get house ruled against your favor. People tend to go in a different direction.
Bribery is also just another diplomacy check. So if the rules aren't defined players will generally avoid it out of fear or lack of knowledge.

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 09:13 AM
Lornal

Coming off the streets and arriving at what the Wizard Dorian calls home he knocks on the door loudly with a gloved hand.

Rizban
2010-06-16, 03:25 PM
An unseen servant opens the door. A magic mouth says, "Good morning! If you are here about the copyist job, then please proceed inside and to your right. If not, then I bid you farewell."

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 03:31 PM
Slightly taken aback by the magical greeting he steps inside and makes his way to the indicated area. He makes sure to take a look around as he proceeds to the right.

Rizban
2010-06-16, 03:38 PM
The door opens as you approach, and you see a winding staircase leading up to the next floor. As you climb the stairs, an odd sensation comes over you. Rounding the land bend in the staircase, you step out into a massive library, some 300 feet across. This is extremely odd, because you remember the round tower you entered into being no more than about 20 feet in diameter.

A group of dancing lights manifests around you and begins to move across the library. You are obviously expected to follow.

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 03:44 PM
Awed by the gigantic surroundings and masses of tomes and books Lornal hopes he hasn't bitten off more than he can chew. The strange feeling bother's him slightly, experience tells him he should expect the unexpected. He follows the lights but is now wary of his surroundings.

Spot [roll0]

Rizban
2010-06-16, 03:48 PM
Lornal sees nothing out of the ordinary beyond what he's already seen. He does notice that there seem to be quite a few unseen servants dusting and cleaning and otherwise maintaining the library.

A few moments later, the lights lead you to a large table covered with books stacked some two to three feet high on it. You hear a sound which seems to be somewhere between a grunt and a growl coming from the far side. You cannot see the source.

The dancing lights wink out.

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 04:03 PM
He clears his throat quietly and begins to speak "Hello, My name is Lornal. I'm here about the scribing position...Might I be of service?"

Rizban
2010-06-16, 04:08 PM
You receive no response.

Ormagoden
2010-06-17, 12:42 PM
Curiously Lornal takes a step towards the desk and books and leans over quietly to take a peek. If the man is very old...he might be in the middle of a nap or some such.

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:12 PM
You guessed it. He is currently fast asleep, drooling on the table.

Ormagoden
2010-06-17, 09:25 PM
Lornal very gingerly takes a book off the desk and looks around for some ink and paper or an empty tome. If he spots them he will take them as quietly as possible and sit down in the doorway against the door frame to begin work.

If needed Move silently [roll0]
and
Profession :scribe [roll1]
Just to be clear he has absolutely no intent on stealing it. In case every book is rigged to explode or something.

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:37 PM
As soon as you touch the book, before you can pick it up, the wizard jerks awake.

"What? What's happening?"

He quickly wipes his mouth and straightens his spectacles.

"Who are you? Are you here for a job?"

Ormagoden
2010-06-17, 09:46 PM
"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't want to disturb you. Yes, I'm here for the job..." Lornal says drawing his hand away from the book. "I was going to try my hand at copying that while you were resting." He nods and moves forward with an extended hand.

"My name is Lornal lets discuss my working for you."

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:48 PM
He shakes your hand.

"You a scribe, huh? Tell me about any magical training you might have."

Ormagoden
2010-06-18, 09:34 AM
"I can read and write in both the common language and Elven. I'm familiar with the use of some wands for curative magic and the use of potions and alchemical items. I have no formal knowledge of arcana or magic use however. I spent time in the military for a few years and saw all manner of magical things. Sadly I am no master of the arcane arts if that's what you asking. I imagine I might have been if I didn't need to take up arms and defend my country." Realizing he's rambled a bit Lornal nods "If you need someone with that kind of knowledge I'm sorry to say I don't fit the bill. I can copy anything written down though with perfect accuracy given time." He smirks slightly given his confidence in his work and hand.

Rizban
2010-06-18, 10:36 PM
"Very good. I need not worry as much about you stealing my secrets."

He points to several racks of books with some 200 volumes.

"These I need copied, though there is no particular need for speed. I would prefer quality of quantity. I suggest 100 gold per volume perfectly copied. Based on your skills, it may take you between two days and a week per volume. Do you agree to this?"

Note that it is possible to negotiate a higher pay.

You can also take 20 on the skill checks, it just takes a bit longer.

I'm also setting this up so that you can seek other work as an assassin and then come back here between jobs to earn extra money and such.

Ormagoden
2010-06-19, 10:10 AM
Lornal looks a bit shocked. That is a very high amount of pay for scribe work and the idea of a hundred gold pieces a week is tough to turn down. "I think your wages are fair. More than fair actually." Lornal gets to work immediately on scribing the chosen tomes.

will taking a ten for a total of 19 be enough? If not once lornal finishes a few he'll go get a masterwork scribe set. That should pump a 10 to a 21. Also just an FYI Lornal is a bodyguard. I haven't started with my assassin as of yet, mostly because it seemed difficult to find a place for him without having someone negotiate contracts for him IE another player.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 08:27 PM
Each tome has a different DC. 19 will be sufficient for some of them...

Remember that you have to copy it perfectly to be paid. Errors will not be tolerated by the wizard.

I realized you were a BG after I posted and just didn't go back and change that. You're allowed to blur the line a little bit if you desire too.

Ormagoden
2010-06-20, 10:49 PM
Initially he looks like he wants to ask some more questions but since the Magus seems rather specific in his tasking he doesn't have a problem following the orders.

He takes a few moments to look around, he wonders, would a wizard like this need protection? It seems rather quiet...

Lornal takes some of the tomes to whatever area seems to have the most room for copying. He goes thought them one by one inspecting the writing and craftsmanship. Once he determines some of the easier books to copy he sets them aside and clearing a space he begins working on the first of them.

Ok, so what kind of rolls would you like? I guess I can have Lornal start with the easy ones and move on to the harder things after he equips himself a little better. (with better writing tools.) Also how are the DM's handling inn stay and food and such? Can I just pre pay for a week or two by knocking the average prices off Lornals sheet or what?

Rizban
2010-06-20, 11:00 PM
The wizard wanders off to have a heated discussion with himself, which you can hear from the other side of the library. Though loud enough to be distinct, it is in a language you do not recognize.

You sort through some of the tomes, and pull 5 from the shelf which appear to be fairly simple. You place these on a small table off to the side which is surrounded by numerous blank books and an ink well which never runs out of ink and can not be spilled or poured out. Apparently, this is to be your writing desk.

Lodging works one of four ways.
1. You just ignore it, and it is assumed you sleep in a common shelter for travelers which equates to a large, smelly room that's basically an empty warehouse just outside the city walls. This costs nothing, and it's assumed you work just enough odd jobs to pay for food.

2. You order specific food or lodging, which you choose to pay.

3. You ask your employer for a place to stay, and he provides one if able, though this may be deducted from your pay.

4. You buy a place to live.

Ormagoden
2010-06-21, 08:45 PM
Taking a 10 on the first tome at least. Then its off to find a night job. Ok, paying for 10 days in common inn conditions (50s) and 10 days of common meals (30s) Total 10 days room and board for 8 gold. I'm removing it from my sheet now.

Rizban
2010-06-23, 08:39 PM
It takes you a bit of time to decipher some of the text and reproduce the more intricate symbols, but the rest of the text is simple enough. You complete the first tome in a mere two days. The wizard hands you a small bag with 100 gold coins in it and slaps you heartily on the back before going back to napping in his comfy chair with a tome resting open on his belly.

Ormagoden
2010-06-24, 09:08 AM
Lornal makes his way out of the wizard's study after the first book is finished. With a little working cash now he can make his way around the city and find some guard work.

Rizban
2010-06-24, 02:27 PM
So, where does he go? Does he head to the Maid and Mermaid to look for work? Does he solicit at some of the homes of wealthier merchants and lesser nobles? Does he ask his current employer for introductions around town?

Ormagoden
2010-06-24, 03:24 PM
So, where does he go? Does he head to the Maid and Mermaid to look for work? Does he solicit at some of the homes of wealthier merchants and lesser nobles? Does he ask his current employer for introductions around town?

See city streets :D

Rizban
2010-06-24, 03:28 PM
I saw it but was asking anyway. The job board isn't likely to get you anything higher than watching an empty shop at night

Ormagoden
2010-06-24, 03:33 PM
ok so obviously the answer is im wasting my time then. To the mermaid.