PDA

View Full Version : Uses for DR/Magic?

subject42
2010-06-10, 12:38 PM
I'm putting together a character that gets DR/Magic as a side-effect of some of character choices.

DR is never bad, but given that just about any enemy that you encounter after about level 10 or so probably has weapons or natural weapons that count as magical for the purposes of damage reduction, it seems kind of lackluster.

What can I do to make this DR useful?

Mastikator
2010-06-10, 12:41 PM
It's great on a ELC 1 character.

AstralFire
2010-06-10, 12:41 PM
Regularly incite riots from level 1 peasants and go to sleep in the middle of the attack.

Draz74
2010-06-10, 12:42 PM
It's great for sparring performances. You and an ally, each with DR/magic, pull out your nonmagical backup weapons and whack away at each other to impress the peasantry ...

Stompy
2010-06-10, 12:46 PM
Sword-swallowing, both performance and literally.

DR magic is pretty good if you keep going up against animals. >.>

subject42
2010-06-10, 12:47 PM
So in other words it's only useful for Bluffing/Acting/Scaring the Peasantry?

Stompy
2010-06-10, 12:49 PM
sorta, yeah.

You can sunder/dispel/disjunction the enemies magical weaponry though. :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-10, 01:35 PM
Great if you go hunting because animals can't overcome it.

Especially badass when T-Rex hunting :smallwink:

Tar Palantir
2010-06-10, 01:51 PM
And falling damage, unless the ground is magical (less common than you might think :smallwink:).

subject42
2010-06-10, 02:15 PM
So there's no obscure feat or class feature, or item that will improve it from DR/magic to DR/something else?

Chen
2010-06-10, 02:23 PM
Can demons and devils actually penetrate DR/magic with their attacks? I haven't read the MM in a while but I seem to recall they penetrate the same as their DR (well opposite for alignment type DR).

nedz
2010-06-10, 02:30 PM
Can demons and devils actually penetrate DR/magic with their attacks? I haven't read the MM in a while but I seem to recall they penetrate the same as their DR (well opposite for alignment type DR).

Yes, except for
DR/-
and
DR/Cold Iron etc
or
DR/Bludgoning etc
And this is for natural weapons only

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-10, 02:36 PM

Your natural attacks can penetrate any DR you have yourself.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-10, 02:48 PM
And falling damage, unless the ground is magical (less common than you might think :smallwink:).
You should have checked the fine print on your DR before falling.
Damage Reduction

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Falling damage comes from neither weapons nor natural attacks. Damage reduction only applies when you're attacked, not when you're clumsy and fall off a cliff. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-06-10, 03:01 PM
Yes, except for
And this is for natural weapons only

Except in the case of Outsiders. Most of the strongly aligned ones have a special clause in their write-up that extends this to any weapons they might be wielding.

But yea...thats funny. A Pit Fiend can't penetrate DR/Magic, except the hard way.

PersonMan
2010-06-10, 03:02 PM
You should have checked the fine print on your DR before falling. Falling damage comes from neither weapons nor natural attacks. Damage reduction only applies when you're attacked, not when you're clumsy and fall off a cliff. :smalltongue:

Bah. The planet's natural weapon is a Slam attack. It has +yes to hit, which is why we always get hit by the ground after we jump.

Stompy
2010-06-10, 03:05 PM
Bah. The planet's natural weapon is a Slam attack. It has +yes to hit, which is why we always get hit by the ground after we jump.

Except for the 1 in 20 times that the ground misses you, and you fly instead. :smallbiggrin:

mcl01
2010-06-10, 04:06 PM
Unless the planet of course specializes in luck feats, allowing him to turn natural 1s into natural 20s.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-10, 04:34 PM
Remember if a creatures attacks don't count as magic they don't overcome DR vs magic. A Glabrezu has DR 10/good but its attacks don't count as magic so DR/magic would protect you.

You should have checked the fine print on your DR before falling. Falling damage comes from neither weapons nor natural attacks. Damage reduction only applies when you're attacked, not when you're clumsy and fall off a cliff. :smalltongue:

If I hit you with a rock DR applies but if you hit the rock DR doesn't apply? What if the rock is falling on you say a rock-slide should it ignore DR because its not being thrown like a weapon.
I suppose by RAW that works but doesn't sound right to me.

Your natural attacks can penetrate any DR you have yourself.

That was 3.0 long outdated, a fiend may have DR 10/Cold Iron and Good but it weapons are evil and silver. The only time that rule really applies is for DR/magic. In almost all cases if a creature has DR/magic it overcomes DR/magic the same applies to DR/epic.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-10, 04:35 PM

That was 3.0 long outdated, a fiend may have DR 10/Cold Iron and Good but it weapons are evil and silver. The only time that rule really applies is for DR/magic. In almost all cases if a creature has DR/magic it overcomes DR/magic the same applies to DR/epic.

Well I was half right. That's what I meant and put out poorly anyway.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-10, 04:37 PM
Well I was half right. That's what I meant and put out poorly anyway.

Though I tend to rule it still applies to special materials DR, so say two werewolves can hurt one another.

Thurbane
2010-06-10, 04:46 PM
If I hit you with a rock DR applies but if you hit the rock DR doesn't apply? What if the rock is falling on you say a rock-slide should it ignore DR because its not being thrown like a weapon.
I suppose by RAW that works but doesn't sound right to me.
You're not hitting "a rock", you're getting slammed by a gragantuan+ epic weapon. Be thankful it doesn't use the Hulking Hurler rules, otherwise it would be much higher than a 20d6 cap! :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2010-06-10, 07:06 PM
Dr/magic is still moderately useful to a PC - you will be surprised at how many monsters in the MM cannot overcome them, namely animals/vermin (barring the fiendish variety), many undead and outsiders. :smallsmile: