PDA

View Full Version : Newbie DM - Sunless Citadel

Niezck
2010-06-10, 05:23 PM
You all begin in the sleepy town of Oakhurst. It is a somewhat typical town, one inn, one blacksmith, a general store that serves the populace and the odd merchant here and there trying to make his way. The town relies primarily on farming for its income and is surrounded by such farms.

Two main roads run through the town - Old Road and New Road, so aptly named by the townsfolk. Old Road used to serve the town as it linked to the nearby city of Ashworth. However, in recent years the goblin menace has increased its efforts and the road had to be shut down entirely as nearly every convoy was ambushed and hi-jacked. New Road is, as its name implies, relatively new. It runs to the city of Ashworth as well, but by a far longer and more winding route. Ultimately, however, it is safer.

As all of you will immediately become aware of upon entering the town, the townsfolk live in fear. Fear of the great ravine to the south-west. The Old Road passes just shy of it and all those that venture in that way never return. The fissure is massive, spanning hundreds of metres either side of Oakhurst. It is said to be the entrance to the lost city. Its name is deep in legend, and is now only known as The Sunless Citadel - appropriately nicknamed for its total lack of light.

This is where your quest takes you, down into the depths of the earth itself. Whether your motivation is money, wealth or adventure - you will ultimately face the same challenges and the same consequences should you fail.

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 05:35 PM
Garrei sits by the entrance of Old Road, holding a piece of canvas on a pole. The canvas has words written on it - it reads:

"SEEKING PARTNERS
FOR RAVINE
EXPLORATION"

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 06:08 PM
Riffraff upon seeing the sign held by Garrei, casually turns around and attempts to hide behind a building. He can be seen apparently speaking into his hand for a while before reemerging.

Walking up to Garrei, he speaks with surprising fluency for a goblin, never letting his grin leave his face. "I am called Riffraff. I have been searching for those willing to accompany me in the direction of this ravine. You'll likely run into trouble with Goblins if you head out that way, so would it not be helpful to have one of their kind along to barter peace?"

Immediately after finishing his speech, Riffraff jumps back about a foot, but continues smiling.

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 06:14 PM
Garrei looks at the odd little goblin for a moment, then lets out a loud laugh. "Of course you can come with me, tiny! That's what the sign says, huh?" He walks over and claps Riffraff on the shoulder. "Never adventured with a goblin before... Did with a halfling once, though." Garrei looks down into the goblin's eyes, looking very serious and adopting a solemn tone. "I don't care how good at fighting you might be - watch out for the feet of giants. The name's Garrei, by the way. Do you mind if I call you tiny?"

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 06:29 PM
Riffraff almost takes a step back at Garrei's approach, but apparently realizes he was not about to be attacked.

"Tiny..." he spaces out a bit as he says this. Then the smile returns to his face. "That's one of the nicer things I've been called. Truthfully, I'm not much of a fighter though, despite my weapon and armor. Its mainly so I don't get bothered by bandits... though they don't seem to feel threatened when you're a goblin regardless of what you do." He does a partial laugh, and continues. I will be able to keep you healthy, I've found you need to be able to help people to at least be ignored occasionally in these villages.

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 06:46 PM
Garrei gives the goblin a smile. "You can heal? Good! Hopefully we won't have to worry too much about any angry goblins, then. I'm an adventurer by trade - spelunking is what I do and I'd have to say I do it damn well. You're funny... and smart enough. I like you, Tiny... now to see if we can find any other volunteers for our expedition." He goes back to his pole and holds up the sign once more.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 08:28 PM
"Ok, I'll stand over there." Riffraff points to an area a distance away from Garrei's stand. "Hopefully I won't scare anyone off."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 08:38 PM
Hello. A squeaky voice calls out. A young gnome approaches the two, his long hair gathered in a ponytail, his beard well-trimmed, and his skin pale from too much studying by candlelight. A crossbow is slung on his shoulder, hitting his back at each stride.

My name is Tereen Margol, you may have heard of me, or at least of my family. I come from a large and respected clan of vegetable traders back in Stonehome, my father was the vice-chairman of the local charter of Friends of the Rutabaga before he retired in frustration at their inability to pass Resolution 141. My mother, she's more into cabbages. What was I talking about? Ah, partners for ravine exploration, I see you seek. I am here following rumours of an ancient city lost underground after a great cataclysm. Can imagine it was something big, like the Spinach Riots of '82. But I digress. Will you accept this gnome as a traveling companion? I have some skill with magic, and am eager to find practical application to my wide theoretical knowledge of the methods of underground exploration.

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 08:41 PM
Garrei simply stares at the gnome. "You get my okay, as long as you don't talk so much. You'll have to check with Tiny," he says and motions to Riffraff, "but you're good by me. We could use someone as bai- I mean, some spellcasting."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 08:44 PM
Ah, yes, yes, a Goblin, I see. Well, I don't discriminate by race, and it's nice to have someone else called Tiny for a change. How are you doing, dear sir?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 09:01 PM
Riffraff's expression shows a bit of a mix of confusion and amusement. "I don't even think I know what you said there." He takes an overly straightened stance that really does not suit a goblin. "Though I'm not sure if you can call me tiny... you only have an inch on me... maybe two..." he trails off gradually, like he's listening to someone speak.

"Uh, yes, I am doing good. Luck has been with me today, I heard recently about these goblins that live nearby, and every other season they sell a single apple to the people, so I'm kind of curious how they've managed to open trade, even if it is rare. I was told there was a man trying to head out there, so here I am." He looks over to Garrei: "This gnome is fine, and it's useful to have other kinds of magic." He looks back to Tereen again "Uh, you spoke so much though... what do you do with magic?

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 09:05 PM
"I swear to Olidimmara if she's a bard we're getting rid of her!"

Tavar
2010-06-10, 09:10 PM
A man approaches who has clearly been traveling for some time, with a couple obvious patch jobs and several hasty replacements. Still, the style of his clothing marks him as an outlander possibly not even from this continent. He has a strange talisman with a symbol on it around his neck.

Upon closer inspection, you notices several odd things about him. His glowing blue eyes, the hint of flame about him, and the fact he is armored but not armed all speak to some oddness about him. Still, he seems friendly enough.

Unlike the others he doesn't address Garrei, instead turning toward Riffraff, and offering his hand.
Hello there. I'm Halistar, and I can't help but ask if you belong to one of the local Goblin tribes. I've heard in other parts that the ones in this region had an unusual living arrangement with the local town, but when I asked around earlier everyone seemed rather upset buy the whole thing. So if you are, do you know what the problem is?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 09:11 PM
"Not that it's easy to tell for me. But doesn't a beard on a Gnome mean he?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 09:11 PM
A young gnome approaches the two, his long hair gathered in a ponytail

"I swear to Olidimmara if she's a bard we're getting rid of her!" Guys, Tereen Margol is a dude, not a chick.

Apple? That's more of a fruit thing, might be out of my area of expertise. But can always give it a try, you know, diversify. Uhm, what do I do with magic? Let's see, there's this nice trick where I throw colored sand in people's faces to knock them out, my mentor Elijah the Accident Prone taught me that, guess how he got the name. Could never understand how a bit of sand can knock you out, but hey, it works. I can also, uhm, make illusions, although I'm not very good, and my illusions can't speak. But I'm trying to make them better.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 09:23 PM
Riffraff's smile widens as he attempts to listen to two people at once.

"Uh, sorry Tereen, I think I need to speak with him now." he gestures towards Halistar, "But that sounds good, a silent illusion is better than none... I would think."

"Er, greetings Halistar. I have been named Riffraff... and apparently tiny. I am not a member of these tribes, actually probably like you a traveler. It seems normally this region has the normal arrangement of the goblins raid passing traders. He leans back as he says this, dropping his hand to a silk scarf at his belt, seemingly unconsciously. "But, it seems every other season, the Goblins sell an apple. The people here really seem to want to buy it, but I don't know why, so that's why I'm heading out there, the goblins might tell another goblin.

Riffraff motions to Garrei He's actually leader here, or at least organizer. He might be a little more knowledgeable." He shrugs, "Otherwise that's really all I've got."

Niezck
2010-06-10, 09:25 PM
It is approximately noon and the sun is at its peak. However, clouds are beginning to obscure it and you all feel the slightest drops of rain. Within moments it begins to rain lightly, getting heavier and heavier. It will no doubt be a great downpour within minutes.

Tavar
2010-06-10, 09:29 PM
"Interesting. If this group is really going out to do such a thing, I would be very interested in joining."
As the rain begins to fall, he continues.

" What say we continue this discussion in an inn"

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 09:32 PM
Garreti turns to the gnome. "My apologies, sir. My last delve was with a group of dwarves, and one learns quickly there that beards are not a good gender-distinguishing feature." He shivers, as if remembering a traumatic experience that is better left in the past. "That said, it sounds like you're in. Now, in good old adventuring tradition, you too will be granted a nickname that is nothing more than a distinguishing feature of yours. You will be Squeaky."

After he finishes talking to the gnome, he walks over to the tall man. "I couldn't help but overhear your greeting, sir. I am Garrei, and I am currently organizing an expedition to the nearby ravine, if one defines 'putting up a sign and waiting for people' organizing. I would like to invite you on our quest, as it seems that you are no stranger to combat. However, the sky darkens, so I suggest we make our way to the nearest tavern. Tiny, it sounds like you're rather knowledgeable as to the town. Perhaps you could lead us?"

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 09:38 PM
Riffraff looks up after the first rain drop hits him, and quickly puts his scarf into his sole pocket, twitching a bit when he realizes his hand was already there. After Garrei speaks Riffraff looks to him. "I know my way around a bit. I haven't really been staying in an inn, but I know where one is. I left my pack on the in the way between. Should grab that too, it my bed's not water proof." He steps toward the city and motions the others to follow.

Not to far of a ways inside the city, Riffraff walks up to a tree with a small hollow underneath it. He reaches in and pulls out a little goblin sized backpack, with a bedroll attached on the outside. "Come to think about it, tindertwigs probably aren't very good wet either."

He continues down the road towards the inn/tavern.

Tavar
2010-06-10, 09:59 PM
Combat? Yes, I know a bit of that. Is there any particular reason that you want to explore these ruins?

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 10:14 PM
"I want to explore, and those ruins are the closest thing. Not to mention, they intrigue me."

Niezck
2010-06-10, 10:21 PM
As you walk through the town centre you get various odd looks and glances as the townsfolk inspect your motley crew. The tavern is a large thatched structure, almost barn-like, with heavy wooden double doors at the front and a rather butch half-orc standing outside.

Oi, what you want? No trouble 'ere, gotit? He speaks bluntly as you approach.

He's clad in a thick steel breastplate and wields an overly-large axe. Clearly he's a bodyguard or doorman of sorts.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 11:06 PM
Tereen gladly follows Halistar, Riffraff and Garrei to the inn. He never was much for outdoors, especially not at raintime. It's nice to be part of a group again. Hope we won't end like the Celery Consorcium.

At the words of the half-orc, he cowers in the back and lets the taller party members do the talking.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-10, 11:15 PM
Riffraff slumps his posture as the half-orc speaks. He waits a bit to see if any others in the entourage seem to want to speak with him, then starts to speak. His voice is more screechy than it had been earlier, either currently playing it up, or previously having been downplaying it. W-we's no wants trouble here. We's just wants ta get outs o tha rain..." His eyes drift to the axe the bouncer wields. "Er, tha's a nice axe yu got there. No needs tu use it. I's sure we wouldn'ts make good trophies anyways..."

During his speaking, Riffraff is closely watching the orc, ready to back up if he's fed up of the conversation.

Niezck
2010-06-10, 11:18 PM
The half-orc grunts at you while replacing the axe on his back.

No trouble, eh? Alright. Jus' don't go makin' anythin' I'll 'ave to clear up.

With that he nods toward the inn and stands at ease again, looking at you carefully.

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 11:18 PM
Garrei, in his typically brash manner, walks up to the half orc, gives an ostentatious wink, and places a hand on his shoulder. "Sir, we merely wish to entertain ourselves with a pint or two of ale, followed by a wonderful sleep. If you do not let us in, however, we will be forced to throw a party out here, and I am willing to bet that if you're standing out here in the rain, a party is the last thing on your mind. May we enter?"

Niezck
2010-06-11, 07:46 AM
Don't try trick Zorm with tricky words. Go in.

He once more points at the entrance of the inn and stands back, allowing you passage.

You hear raucous laughter emanating from the inn and the occasional crash, presumably of smashing glasses.

Zemro
2010-06-11, 01:14 PM
Not particularly bothered by the rain, Datan entered the town through the new road, finally starting to tire after his journey. He immediately seeks the town's inn in order to secure a place to rest that night so that he may present himself to Kerowyn Hucrele at his best the next day.

Tavar
2010-06-11, 01:21 PM
Finding a relatively clean table, Halistar sits down, motioning for the others to join him. After ordering a stew with some bread to go along, he turns to the others to continue their discussion.

Ruins, hmmm. Well, that does sound interesting...do you have any idea how old they are? If you want help, I'd like to join you. My stipend is almost gone, so I could use a bit more cash.
At this he seems almost embarrassed, and begins fingering his amulet.

Knowlege:History check; [roll0]

Niezck
2010-06-11, 02:19 PM
The tavern is quite busy, largely due to the rain peppering its roof. You see multiple tables filled with old farmers and drunken men. Nobody in particular catches your eye and overall the tavern is somewhat generic.

After taking Halistar's order, the waitress scurries off into the kitchen and you can hear light chatting coming from the door.

Listen check please.

Tavar:

You recall that the Old Road also skirts the Ashen Plain, a lifeless land. It is said that the desolation there is attributed to the rampage of a dragon named Ashardalon. It is also written, in folklore more than anything, that The Sunless Citadel was once the retreat of a dragon cult that revered Ashardalon.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 02:21 PM
Tereen joins the others at the table; he looks for a particularly high chair, of course. He's always ready to evesdrop on other people's conversations. Gives him so much to talk about later.

Listen [roll0]

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 02:38 PM
Riffraff walks towards the table, trying to avoid getting too close to anyone outside the party, obviously not used to the rowdy setting of the bar. He gets in a chair, kneeling on it to reach the table, and clunks a rock down on the table that pulled from his pocket. He at least tries to order two meals and two mugs of ale, paying up front.

He then turns to Tereen "Celery Consorcium? Was that an adventure group you were in that decided to be named after celery? Or was it a group testing magic on celery and something went wrong?" He laughs as if he was making a joke.

[roll0]

Tavar
2010-06-11, 02:41 PM
Halistar

Listen Check: [roll0]

Rauthiss
2010-06-11, 02:56 PM
Garrei sits at the table as well, listening in to the other conversations while having a tall mug of ale. He starts to talk to denizens of other tables, inquiring as to the ravine and questioning if any are interested in joining.

I'd like to spend a little while chatting up the members of the town; see if I can get any leads.
Time: [roll0] hours
Gather Information Check: [roll1]
Listen Check: [roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 03:02 PM
Ah, the Celery Consorcium was a group of young gnomes, dedicated to the idea of growing celery on the particularly fertile meadow by the Sheryl river. Unfortunately, a clan of orcs claimed ownership of same meadow. Of course, they only told us that after we grew the celery for them. And the worst thing is, orcs don't even eat vegetables! So much hard work gone to waste.

Niezck
2010-06-11, 03:04 PM
All but Zemro:
You all hear a human about two tables across from you whisper to his compatriot.

They bloody stole it again! Those damn goblins!

His drinking partner leans in and replies in a similar hushed tone.

I don't know about that Bill, those were some mighty weird tracks they left. I don't think that was a goblin y'know.

Rauthiss:

The townsfolk are disgusted by your brash manner and tell you only what you already know.

Rauthiss
2010-06-11, 03:08 PM
Garrei leans into his table of allies, and whispers softly. "Did you all hear that? They said the goblins stole "it" again. Do you think they're speaking of the apple, perhaps?"

Zemro
2010-06-11, 03:08 PM
Entering the build, Datan sets himself in search of the innkeeper. Carrying no extra money with him due to his vows, he planned on introducing himself and offering to chop wood and other such grunt work in exchange for a night's room and board.

Niezck
2010-06-11, 03:12 PM
Seeing the strange-looking Azurin enter, the innkeeper eyes him suspiciously. He leans in to the barmaid.

What's with all these crazy folk arrivin' recently? Can't they see we got nothin' to offer?

As Datan approaches him with the offer for a room and board, he looks suspiciously at the barmaid and then back at Datan.
Sure. Go stand outside 'n tell Zorm he's off duty for the night. Then go make sure nobody starts nothin'. Got it?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 03:19 PM
About to respond to Tereen, Riffraff's attention is caught elsewhere. He turns to Garrei, also speaking quietly. "I don't know, it would make sense..." He trails off a bit before continuing. "Though, his friend doesn't seem to sure it was goblins. He looks down at his rock for a bit, and then nods. "It's probably related though."

Tavar
2010-06-11, 03:27 PM
I guess, and if the stories are true there are plenty who would want the apple, and not all would be above underhanded means. It might also explain why the townsfolk seemed so upset.
Examining the tavern while he waits for his food, he catches sight of the other Azurin, causing his eyebrows to rise. They aren't as rare as some beings, but they are amoung the more uncommon creatures in this land. He decides to go over and talk to the other after he finishes his supper.
Maybe something related to the ruins go out? There was a cult of Ashardalon there a while back, supposedly. Maybe some creature of their's finally crawled out, or a new cult came in.

Niezck
2010-06-11, 03:30 PM
The waitress emerges from the kitchens holding a bowl of steaming stew and a hunk of bread. Scanning the room for Halistar, she locates him and brings it over.

That'll be 3 silver pieces please.

Zemro
2010-06-11, 03:31 PM
Datan nods appreciatively, "Maintaining order is but one of Heironeous' precepts, I will do this for you as well as I would for the church."

After hopefully easing any of the innkeeper's concerns about himself, Datan goes to relieve Zorm and keep an eye on things.

I'll take 10 on a diplomacy check to ease to innkeeper concerns for a total of 15.

Niezck
2010-06-11, 03:34 PM
After you walk away, the innkeeper leans into the barmaid once more.

Go get room six ready for him, love. And save some stew.

She walks away into the corner of the room and begins climbing the stairs, looking utterly bored.

A couple of the tables in the inn have cleared up now as people return home to tend to their duties. The farmers you overheard earlier remain. However, they begin gathering their things and look as if they're going to leave shortly.

Tavar
2010-06-11, 03:37 PM
Rummaging through his money pouch for several seconds, he ends up pulling out 2 silver pieces and 15 copper.
I think that's right....

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 03:39 PM
Riffraff who had been rather unsubtly watching the humans, leans into the table. "I think someone should go over there and ask about the theft. They seem to be leaving soon, and we might not get another chance to see if it's related." He pauses a bit before continuing. "Someone besides me, eaves dropping goblins are not liked any more than the normal kind..."

Rauthiss
2010-06-11, 03:43 PM
Garrei thinks to himself, Now or never.. He walks over to the farmers and looks at them. "I heard a rumor around town that those goblins stole that damned apple again! Do you two know anything?"

Bluff to sound like I know what I'm talking about: [roll0]
Diplomacy to try for their help: [roll1]

EDIT: Oh bloody hell. My rolls suck today.

Tavar
2010-06-11, 03:46 PM
Behind him, Halistar facepalms, shaking his head in exasperation.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 03:47 PM
Goblins stole the apple, eh? As I said, fruit are not my forte, but I might have heard something about this ...

Knowledge (history) [roll0]
Knowledge (religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (local) [roll2]
Knowledge (nature) [roll3]

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 03:48 PM
Reacting to Halistar, Rffraff gets a look of confusion. "Er, was that not good?"

Rauthiss
2010-06-11, 03:49 PM
Garrei turns around and glares at Halistar, whispering angrily under his breath. "If you're so much better, help me out here! Sometimes, you need to take action!"

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 04:26 PM
Riffraff pockets his rock, and slips in beside Garrei. Addressing the two humans at the table, speaking in the overly screechy manner he used at the door. "I's seen that youse met me friend here." Motioning to Garrei he continues. " 'e's nice guy even though he talks before he thinks sometimes..." A half laugh, to a slight frown, trying to look like he was remembering something. Back to smiling he continues: "Really alls he wants tu do is 'elp."

diplomacy check: [roll0]

Niezck
2010-06-11, 04:45 PM
The two men look quite confused when confronted by the goblin and the Human. The one that, presumably had the item stolen, turns to Riffraff and speaks angrily, almost shouting.

And what's one of your sort doin' around 'ere? Scum, I say! Scum and thief!

He raises his voice to a shout and stands, attracting the attention of the entire inn.

Watch your possessions, we've got a thievin' little runt 'ere!

The other man forces the farmer to sit, trying to ease the situation.

C'mon Frank, calm it down now, calm it down. He looks up at the human. Every half a year them goblins come and sell us an apple. Hold an auction they do, highest bidder gets it and all that. Well, this year Frank won it. We used the apple to sort 'is wife out - she was ill, see - and then 'e planted some o' the seeds. But, when 'e woke up there were no trace! Absolutely nothin'! Well, 'cept some scratch marks and weird tracks, nothin' goblin-like mind you. This 'appens every year too - someone buys an apple, plants some seeds and the buggers go missing durin' the night!

Frank looks down at his drink and takes a big gulp, having calmed down a bit.

Cost me me life savings that apple did. Fifty bloody gold pieces. S'pose it did save me wife, but still ... I'd 'ave rather 'ad that apple tree.

Tavar
2010-06-11, 04:54 PM
Have you ever tried talking to the goblins about the dissappearances?

Zemro
2010-06-11, 04:57 PM
Datan peers over at the discussion going on between the two farmers and the apparent companions of another Azurin. It look like an immediate trouble was headed off, but he keep an eye on the situation just in case.

Should he be require to step in and settle things down, he would step in and settle things down.

Niezck
2010-06-11, 05:03 PM
Talk to 'em? TALK to 'em? We're lucky to buy the bloody apple off 'em. They turn up every half a year, sell it, then bugger off back to that ravine o' theirs. Talkin' ain't an option.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-11, 05:50 PM
Riffraff perks up at this turn of the conversation, after his recoil from being shouted at earlier. "Oi, this's what I's 'ere for. If anyone's can talks to the goblins, its anuther goblin." Settling down to a casual grin. "We's was already plannin' on headin' out that way, maybe we's can see whut's up." He trails off, waiting for a response.

diplomacy: [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 08:19 PM
A ravine? Most interesting, as I am researching rumors of an ancient city lost underground. Do you happen to know, good man, what is in that ravine the goblins retreat to?

Rauthiss
2010-06-11, 11:17 PM
Garrei looks at the gentlemen.
"I apologize for my lack of knowledge... but what is so special about the apple?"

Niezck
2010-06-12, 08:41 AM
The farmer looks once more at his drink and swirls it around his mug.

No bleedin' idea what's in that ravine o' theirs. An' the apple?

He looks up at Garrei.

You not 'eard of the apple, boy? It 'eals. Anythin' you got ... fixed. Me wife, she were dyin'. But now? Fine as a whistle.

Rauthiss
2010-06-12, 10:15 AM
Garrei

"Then I suppose from a pure economic standpoint, it is only logical for the goblins to try and prevent the apple's seeds from being planted and growing more apples. I mean, it's simple supply and demand. As long as they keep the supply low, it's still advantageous for them as the town quite clearly demands these apples. Nonetheless, an apple such as that is clearly something worth adventuring for. Sir, I shall journey to the ravine, and retrieve an apple!"

Tavar
2010-06-12, 01:45 PM
You mentioned strange tracks, were they humanoid or animal? Or something else?

Niezck
2010-06-13, 09:47 AM
The tracks were strange, they were. Scratches and claws and bites by the looks o' things. Weird.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 10:38 AM
Tereen

Perhaps we should take a stroll to look at those tracks. A field outing of sorts. After the rain stops, of course.

Tavar
2010-06-13, 12:39 PM
Halistar
I doubt the tracks will still be there after the rain. Though it's possible that they could have been left by worgs working with goblins, it still sounds strange. Maybe there really is some remnant of Ashardalon's cult in the ruins, though what they'd want with an apple is beyond me.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-13, 06:38 PM
Riffraff

"Er, ifs the tracks are gones, maybe yous could tells us what they looked like? Tribe Goblins likes to get 'elps from bigger things, coulds they have been hobgoblin tracks? Or maybe they's trained some animals?"

Zemro
2010-06-13, 07:36 PM
Datan returns his eyes to keeping watch for trouble on the rest of the inn, now that things have seemed to settle. He does keep an ear on the conversation though, as it did seem to have some relevance to his mission here.

Niezck
2010-06-14, 11:39 AM
I've got one more seed left, if youse'll be willin' to keep watch over it? They only come at night, mind. And them tracks aren't like anythin' I've seen before. They ain't no beast tracks, that's for sure.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-14, 01:12 PM
Tereen

A field outing it is then! To search for creatures the tracks of which have never been seen before! We'd be honored to keep watch of the seed for you, good man. If we discover a new species, may I be so bold as to suggest it'd be named after you?

Tavar
2010-06-15, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a workable plan. Can you plant them tonight, so we can start as soon as possible?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-15, 03:03 PM
Riffraff backs up from the conversation reverting to his normal voice, but speaking quietly, probably to avoid letting the two humans at the table hear. He leans in towards Tereen. "Can gnomes see in the dark? If we're going to do this, we'll need to keep watch, whatever it is, it might not approach if we sit around with torches, and I know the Humans would need them. If we're going to be sitting around staring at a spot, I would hope we'd have more than one of us able to watch." He stops there, sort of spacing out.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 04:28 PM
Not in total dark, my new friend, need just a wee-bit of starlight or moonlight. I remember that time, way back, when I was sitting on my porch, keeping watch on Ye Olde Dirt Road. The clan was under threat of Ogres, so a good set of eyes was needed, and I was it. I spotted the cloud of dust from the advancing Ogres a good hour in advance, and gave warning ... although, now that I think of it, this story may not be as relevant as I initially thought, as it happened at daytime.

But, yes, my eyes are pretty sharp.

Rauthiss
2010-06-15, 05:08 PM
Garrei grins. "Watching an apple seed? Bah. I suppose if we must, we must. But I reserve my right to chase after anything that might steal your seeds, good sir. In fact... Hm. I might not be able to see in the dark very well... But Squeaky, if the whomever tried to take the apple seeds was covered in flour, do you think you could follow them easier?"

OOC: Oh great DM:
Is there any way I could use my twine and my bag of flour to make a tripline trap around the seed to dump flour onto whomever comes close to the seed? Perhaps pour the flour into my canvas yard to dump over the seeded area? If so, what kind of check would I need? Additionally, if the thief is covered in flour, could we follow the footprints, or would we still need someone with the Track feat? I hope you don't mind me thinking outside of the box like this; I like to use items and such in creative ways.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-15, 05:23 PM
RIffraff blinks a couple times, obviously surprised by how much of an answer he got. "Er, wow, I could have taken..." He stops a bit, and then directs his attention to Garrei. "I have a wolf, if we can't follow a flour trail with our eyes, he could probably follow it with his nose. I don't know if flour smells strong enough, but it might be worth a try." He stops, probably considering it. "Hmm, though the other humans here might not like a goblin leading a wolf into town, Shurk's out hunting... I think."

Niezck
2010-06-16, 09:41 AM
All:

That'd only work if you had something to mount the flour on, tree, house, etc. Like a winch of sorts.

And yeah, using things in inventive ways it absolutely fine so long as it works logically.

You'd also need some kind of Craft check. Probably Trapmaking if you have that?

Oh and finally, as many of you probably worked out - light is going to be very important in this adventure. With it being the Sunless Citadel and all there isn't any natural light down there and very few torches, so yeah ... you may want to pick up a few in town while you're around.

I can plant it tonight, sure. Can ye keep watch though? That's the question. Come up to me farm when ye've decided, it's jus' along the New Road to the north.

With that he gulps the last of his pint and walks out of the tavern with the other man.

Rauthiss
2010-06-16, 06:42 PM
Garrei turns and looks at the rest of the group. "I'm all for watching over that man's seed. Sound good to everybody else?"

UNTRAINED CRAFT CHECKS, AWAYYYYYYYYYY

Tavar
2010-06-16, 07:18 PM
It seems the best way to get some actual information on what's going on, so I agree.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-16, 07:39 PM
Riffraff crosses his arms after the humans leave, looking somewhat miffed, looking no less strange on the face of a goblin then his smile. "I still think its probably an animal, he couldn't really tell us much about the tracks, and animals have feet of all kinds. But, if it only bothers seeds from this kind of apple, I would think the goblins have to deal with it too, maybe we can find where it lives." He gets kind of a prideful expression, probably proud of his idea, but the expression quickly fades.

"Wait, what good does this do us anyways? I'm interested in the apple as probably everyone else is, but wouldn't it make more sense to find where they're grown? I can make berries that heal, not sickness, but they'll help a back ache, maybe this thing knows about the apple, and tries to eat the seeds to fix whatever's wrong with it? Riffraff then returns to smiling, waiting to hear what the others think.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-18, 02:30 PM
Tereen

If, as you say, it only bothers with the seeds of this kind of apple, it has to be smarter than an animal. Animals, like the rats that infested my mentor's basement, they chewed all books indiscriminately. Could not distinguish between The Necromantic Compendium and The Necromancers' Handbook. Come to think of it, bad example, because neither could I. Not my forte, necromancy. Neither are apples. Where was I ... ah, sentient. Clearly the creatures who steal that apple are capable of at least rudimentary thought.

Tavar
2010-06-18, 07:12 PM
Or are guided by those with it. In either case, learning what's doing it and why could be key in figuring out what to do.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-06-19, 03:09 PM
"Hm, ok. If its really big though, we might want to follow it instead of fight it..." He trails off, apparently coming up with another thought which he starts to voice, but stops right after.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-24, 09:00 AM
Tereen

So, are we to go there tonight? Anyone needs to make preparations? Speaking for myself, I'm as ready as my meager resources allow me to be.

Tereen holds up what looks like a shopping list, full of names of exotic spell components and equipments, many of which you don't recognize; each and every one is marked with "TDE", which, he immediately explains, is short for Too Darn Expensive.

Tavar
2010-06-24, 03:09 PM
I have no reason to delay, either. And once the seed is planted, I expect my only need will be some help in concealing myself.

Rauthiss
2010-06-24, 04:16 PM
"Sounds good to me."

Jjeinn-tae
2010-07-03, 11:50 AM
Riffraff watches the others as the speak, shuffling back a bit when Tereen brings out his list. Returning to his grin, he speaks: "Ok, we're going to do this then. I guess since Tereen needs to prepare we won't be attempting to find the farm immediately. I should probably go retrieve my wolf here before we head out."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-03, 12:22 PM
I am as prepared as I will ever be. At least as I will ever be without significant expenditure of resources, which I do not have, and a seller of a large assortment of magic scroll, which is also unavailable. Unless we travel to ... well, nevermind. Point is, I'm ready.

Rauthiss
2010-07-03, 09:36 PM
"I'm ready."

Niezck
2010-07-05, 09:34 PM
((Assuming you head off straight away ...))

As you travel through the village you notice a certain lack of wonder from the villagers in regards to your troupe. Clearly they've seen adventurers before and aren't particularly impressed anymore. Also, the rain's stopped.

After half an hour's walk you reach the farm Frank told you about. It's a relatively generic farm from what you can tell - a few nearby fields filled with crops, a couple of cows in a cowshed and the odd chicken wandering about the place. A small, black dog begins barking from inside as you approach.

It's getting on for late afternoon now and darkness won't be far away - perhaps 2-3 hours.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-08, 11:15 AM
Tereen

Let's set an ambush here. But someone will have to make this infernal hound shut up, he's giving away our position!

Tavar
2010-07-12, 08:25 AM
Perhaps the owner can quite it. Anyways, we should see about the getting the seeds planted.
With this he continues to the door, and gives it a quick rap.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-07-12, 04:45 PM
Riffraff For most the journey has been whistling various tones, assuring that his wolf will come running when it hears the whistling.

When the group arrives at the farm, he notices the barking dog, and responds to Tereen: "I have a feeling you were hoping I'd be able to silence the dog. Don't be fooled by my having a wolf, he's more of a pet acquired by magic rather than someone I can relate to. The only way I personally could silence it is a way that I highly doubt our "host" would enjoy... And he already doesn't like me. I will stop whistling though if it was barking at that, I'll wait out here to see if he finds his way to us."

With that he leans against a tree and stares out at the landscape.

Zemro
2010-07-12, 05:27 PM
It's a few minutes before Datan comes into sight heading down the road towards the farm. He had his work at the inn to finish, and now he moved to catch up with the group he saw talking with the farmers earlier.

At the very least it sounded as though things could be somewhat related.

Niezck
2010-07-14, 03:24 AM
From inside you can hear the shouts of the farmer you met before, apparently he's yelling at the dog to shut up. A moment later the door handle turns and the man can be seen poking out from behind the now-ajar door, wearing a thin vest and trousers.

Ah, it's you fellas. Well, youse ready then?

As he stands there you get the faintest smell of some kind of meat, presumably his wife's cooking.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-07-19, 08:08 PM
Riffraff notices Datan's approach, recognizing him from the inn. He puts his hand in his pocket, and waits.

Rauthiss
2010-07-19, 09:57 PM
"Yes, sir."