PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tyrant Lich

Jergmo
2010-06-10, 10:11 PM
Alright! So, in my campaign, I aim to make a Tyrant (Lawful Evil paladin) lich, and I've figured out a way to make it work - so far, the minimum that I've come up with would be to have a level 14 paladin with the Practiced Spellcaster feat. (Paladin caster level is 1/2 their paladin level, so the 14th level one would be caster level 7+4).

However, are there ways that playgrounders can think of where the level minimum may be reduced that doesn't involve racial cheese or something along those lines? :smallconfused:

Jergmo
2010-06-10, 10:17 PM
*Scratches head* Perhaps a prestige class that is useful to paladins and increases divine caster level...it'd likely only need 8 levels in paladin...

Maerok
2010-06-10, 10:19 PM
If you're the DM, rule zero it.

EDIT: See my sig. </shameless plug>

Jergmo
2010-06-10, 10:28 PM
If you're the DM, rule zero it.

EDIT: See my sig. </shameless plug>

Battlefiend makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, but the paladin would ideally only be casting 2nd level spells before taking the PRC. :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-10, 10:45 PM
You might want to combine to variant found in the SRD and UA
Prestige Paladin & Paladin of Tyrany
Prestige Paladin of Tyrany

After training in the arts of combat and the mysteries of the divine, the prestige paladin is anointed as a holy warrior dedicated to the protection of law and goodness evilness

Most prestige paladins are clerics or fighter/clerics, though rare cleric/monks might pursue this path as well.

Hit Die

d10.
Requirements

To qualify to become a prestige paladin, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment

Lawful good.Lawful Evil
Base Attack Bonus

+4.
Skills

Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2 ranks, Ride 4 ranks.
Feats

Mounted Combat.
Spellcasting

Ability to cast protection from evilgood as a divine spell.
Special

Ability to turnrebuke undead.

PId6
2010-06-10, 10:46 PM
Use Cleric instead. A Cleric/Bone Knight should have the same tyrant feel while being significantly better mechanically.

Jergmo
2010-06-10, 11:03 PM
Use Cleric instead. A Cleric/Bone Knight should have the same tyrant feel while being significantly better mechanically.

*Cracks open Wikipedia page of prestige classes...* :smallsigh:

Jergmo
2010-06-10, 11:24 PM
Wait a minute...if I took a PRC that had "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class" as a paladin, would it end up only counting as half a level?

PId6
2010-06-10, 11:27 PM
*Cracks open Wikipedia page of prestige classes...* :smallsigh:
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc) index is usually best for finding unknown PrCs. There's one for feats as well.

Wait a minute...if I took a PRC that had "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class" as a paladin, would it end up only counting as half a level?
It counts as taking another level of paladin for spellcasting purposes, so yeah, pretty much 1/2 a level. That's why it's much better to ignore paladin spellcasting entirely and take a better class.

arguskos
2010-06-10, 11:36 PM
If you're stuck on Paladin, do Cleric-->Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) (refluff as required). Same flavor, less mess.

Alternatively, continue with your current plan, but be warned it isn't going to end real well. The paladin gains not a lot from Lich, and loses a bunch (like Con to HP).

Yehomer
2010-06-11, 12:45 AM
I think Death Knight (The Dragon Lance edition) gains pretty much everything, and is better fluff wise. You can make his damage reduction 10/bludging and magic instead of 10/magic and call it a day...