PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Old Posts?

Maerok
2010-06-10, 10:26 PM
Is it possible to recover old posts through some third-party website? This is from before the thread purge (or whatever it was called). I tried the Internet Wayback Machine but I guess giantitp isn't covered. I'm trying to get a hold of http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19507

Glyphic
2010-06-10, 11:52 PM
Try the way back machine, but I'm not sure if it covers web forums.

Eloi
2010-06-10, 11:58 PM
Try the way back machine, but I'm not sure if it covers web forums.

He already said he tried that, remember?

Zherog
2010-06-11, 10:14 AM
If you can find that thread on a Google search, you can opt to view the cached version rather than following the link.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 10:45 AM
If you can find that thread on a Google search, you can opt to view the cached version rather than following the link.
And if that doesn't work, you're pretty much hosed. There's no archive anywhere, to my knowledge.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-11, 02:45 PM
And if that doesn't work, you're pretty much hosed. There's no archive anywhere, to my knowledge.

The link to the archive is at the bottom right of the site. Though searching for a particular thread may be more trouble than it's worth.

Rockphed
2010-06-11, 02:58 PM
The link to the archive is at the bottom right of the site. Though searching for a particular thread may be more trouble than it's worth.

I thought the archive didn't hold the purged threads...

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 03:00 PM
Oh. Didn't know that. Well, in that case it should be at this link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-19507.html However, entering that URL returns a blank page, so apparently it's not in the archive either. In fact, from a cursory examination, the archive seems to contain no thread numbers between roughly 17000 and 26000. :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-11, 03:01 PM

I didn't know that. Fair enough, my advice is useless then.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-11, 03:12 PM
Well, that's really weird. A check of the oldest posts on the primary board, however, reveals that this is the case; there are threads from 2003 in the depths of Friendly Banter still. Apparently the purge didn't start at the beginning and go up to December 31st, 2007 like they said it would.

Maerok
2010-06-11, 03:53 PM
Oh well. I think I did end up saving most of that homebrew on another thread. In looking for it, I found that several people had cited it in some of their posts. :smallbiggrin: