PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting Disjunction

Navigator
2010-06-10, 11:43 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127254&highlight=disjunction) thread talked about balancing mage's disjunction. While it is much more manageable than the original, I still think it's a bit powerful. Instead of outright banning it, I'd like to see it in a form where I didn't hold my head in my hands every time it was cast. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

DISJUNCTION

Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action or 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. / 2 levels) or Touch (see text)
Target or Area: One spellcaster, creature, or object; or 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

You can use disjunction in two different ways which is dependant on how long you spend casting the spell. When you decide to cast disjunction, you must decide how long you will cast the spell (1 standard action or 1 minute).

If you spend one standard action casting the spell, it functions as greater dispel magic, except that the maximum caster level on your dispel check is +30 instead of +20.

Additionally, if an anti-magic field is targeted or within range of an area dispel, there is a 1% chance per caster level to destroy the anti-magic field, but nothing inside it is affected.

If you spend one minute casting the spell, the XP component is required, and you may choose to use disjunction in one of three ways:

Targeted Disjunction
Functions as greater dispel magic’s targeted dispel except all dispel checks automatically succeed. If an anti-magic field is targeted, it is automatically destroyed, but nothing inside it is affected.

Area Disjunction
Functions as greater dispel magic’s area dispel, except all dispel checks automatically succeed. If an anti-magic field is targeted or within range of an area dispel, there is a 1% chance per caster level to destroy the anti-magic field, but nothing inside it is affected.

Item Disjunction
The caster must touch the object in order to use disjunction in this way. If an unintelligent, unattended, non-artifact object is targeted with disjunction in this way, it is automatically and permanently stripped of all magic, making it a mundane object.

If an intelligent or attended object is targeted, it is allowed a Will saving throw. An item in a creature’s possession uses its own Will save bonus or its possessor’s Will save bonus, whichever is higher.

If an unattended, non-major artifact is targeted, there is a 1% chance per caster level of permanently stripping it of all magic. Any attempt to disjoin an attended or major artifact automatically fails. Any failed attempt to disjoin an artifact causes the caster to immediately lose 1,000 XP and suffer any effects from the object as if the caster touched the object. This loss of XP and other effects cannot be obfuscated by any means, even time travel.

Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and will attract the attention of some powerful or divine being that has an interest in or connection with the device.

Glimbur
2010-06-10, 11:52 PM
Honestly, I'd be ok with a ninth level spell auto-dispelling all the spells in its radius. Let it suppress magic items for a reasonable length of time too, maybe 1d4 minutes or 2d10 rounds. The problem I have with disjunction is that it has a good chance of trashing a lot of items. Antimagic field is only 6th level, let it auto-break that but not hit anything that was inside it. This makes for interesting tactical decisions; if you suspect you will be disjoined you should attack in an AMF... which is all kinds of risky by itself.

Granted, an area auto-dispel is quite strong, but it's centered on the caster, doesn't by default exclude companions, and is a ninth level spell.

Navigator
2010-06-11, 06:09 PM
it's centered on the caster
I don't think this is the case. You can pick the location of the burst as long as it's close range. However, if it was centered on the caster it'd be a totally different ball game.

if you suspect you will be disjoined you should attack in an AMF... which is all kinds of risky by itself
That's my issue. If you're going up against a caster capable of chucking 9th-level spells and he doesn't throw a disjunction, he's not playing by his INT score.

Also, think about chain dispel, which is awesome to begin with. For one more spell level, you get the effects of chain dispel, except all checks auto-succeed, any spell effect in the area is automatically gone, there's a chance to destroy anti-magic fields, and imposes a save-or-suck. That's a lot for +1 spell level IMO.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-12, 11:56 PM
You should be able to disjoin major artifacts minor artifacts like the philosophers stone have NO power association fluff to worry about and are not what normal disjunction refers to as an artifact. They are just rare usually powerful magic items no one knows how to make anymore thus they dispel like any other magic item
greater artifacts are one of the best uses for disjunction and there dispelling at 1% per caster level and attracting deific attention on success with a flat 1% chance of losing all casting should be maintained maybe the lose all casting clause could be cut.