PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Priest

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-10, 11:59 PM
Due to a lack of players...I will be playing the Priest 3.5 as my alternate character in DnD. The GM told me to play it..how can I optimise this class and how can I use it to the extreme?

PId6
2010-06-11, 12:07 AM
Priest? What book is that from? Do you mean cleric?

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:08 AM
this

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Priest_(3.5e_Class)

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:14 AM
this

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Priest_(3.5e_Class)I can't lie, everytime I see someone link to that site I cringe.

It looks pretty weak to be honest, like someone thought that the Healer wasn't bad enough and then kicked it a few more times with a nerfbat.

I'd just multiclass out ASAP or be an evil priest and try to use inflict spells as weapons until someone kills you out of pity.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:16 AM
where is this healer class you speak of..I know it has to be a healer...and mainly a healer...and thats the one he stumbled upon.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 12:16 AM
Perhaps you should consider playing a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) instead?

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:17 AM
where is this healer class you speak of..I know it has to be a healer...and mainly a healer...and thats the one he stumbled upon.Healer is in miniatures handbook.

what is the criteria for "mainly a healer"? Just play anything that can UMD wands of lesser vigor.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:19 AM
I wanted artificer....he said has to be a healer..i said i could wand heal..he said a healer...and told me that one. If i can present a good argument as to why another would be better it might fly..so hoping heh.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 12:19 AM
I'd play a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) of Pelor or some such. Memorize buff spells, and simply convert spells into healing spells when needed.

I wanted artificer....he said has to be a healer..i said i could wand heal..he said a healer...and told me that one. If i can present a good argument as to why another would be better it might fly..so hoping heh.
A wandslinging Artificer wouldn't be bad as a healer.

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:20 AM
Play a cleric heading into Radiant Servant of <Sun God> and get healing touch as a reserve feat.

Or heck, play a dragon shaman.

Being a healbot is boring and being a white mage who can only heal is even more boring.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:20 AM
It might work..had to stray away from the base cleric class..because "it has too many options and isnt main heal material"

where is radiant ? and that feat?

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 12:22 AM
It might work..had to stray away from the base cleric class..because "it has too many options and isnt main heal material"
The ability to spontaneously cast Healing spells, and the ability to pick domains like Healing is not main heal material?

I'm sorry, but your DM is wrong. That is all the healing you should ever need for a D&D campaign.

Radiant Servant of Pelor is Complete Divine, page 52.

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:23 AM

where is radiant ? and that feat?My bad, it's "Touch of Healing" from C. Champion. Radiant Servant of [Pelor] is from CDiv.

If my GM told me I had no choice but to play that craptastic priest class, I would walk. Honest.

Glimbur
2010-06-11, 12:24 AM
Assets... you have a good will save and some spell like abilities. Take The Pain is pretty hilarious: no save, no range limit.

Liabilities... two bad saves, bad (worse than bad by the table) BAB, anemic amount of skill points, caster skill list with no UMD.

You're probably best off craftily spending wealth by level and taking cross-class UMD.

tl;dr See if you can use a different class.

PId6
2010-06-11, 12:25 AM
Dandwiki is a terrible site for homebrew. Avoid at all costs. Cleric with DMM: Persist on Mass Lesser Vigor would be best. Either use that or Cleric with Touch of Healing and a few Wands of Lesser Vigor.

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:26 AM
Assets... you have a good will save and some spell like abilities. Take The Pain is pretty hilarious: no save, no range limit.

Liabilities... two bad saves, bad (worse than bad by the table) BAB, anemic amount of skill points, caster skill list with no UMD.

You're probably best off craftily spending wealth by level and taking cross-class UMD.

tl;dr See if you can use a different class.You've got to survive to 6th level without any magical items that take up body slots though. :smallwink:

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:29 AM
Ok, going to explain to him what yall said when he gets up.

Now seeking any optimised healer base. looking at radiant right now.

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 12:34 AM
Cleric or Druid 20 would work.
Cleric 5/RSoP 10/PrC5 works fine as well.

it all depends on the power level you're aiming for.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 12:39 AM
Looking for High power to benefit the party the most...looking at 1 ranged spellwarp sniper...1 druid (melee)....1 Warforged Juggernaut....and 1 Orc barbarian

Beorn080
2010-06-11, 12:41 AM
Really, it sounds like your DM just wants you to have an alt healbot.

What was that build that killed via healing. Planar Shepherd I believe was involved.

PId6
2010-06-11, 12:45 AM
If you want high-powered + benefit party, DMM Cleric would do it. Start the day with a variety of buffs that make everyone into monsters. Persistent Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Hero's Feast, Chained Greater Magic Weapon, Chained Magic Vestment, Chained Superior Resistance, Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor, etc.

Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 3/Divine Oracle 4/Contemplative 10

Optimystik
2010-06-11, 12:47 AM
Why the hell is your DM so restrictive? Is he the same guy that didn't want you to be a Spellwarp Sniper from the other thread?

Honestly, you need to ask him whether he actually wants you playing D&D, or if he's just going to make all your decisions for you.

PId6
2010-06-11, 12:50 AM
Why the hell is your DM so restrictive? Is he the same guy that didn't want you to be a Spellwarp Sniper from the other thread?

Honestly, you need to ask him whether he actually wants you playing D&D, or if he's just going to make all your decisions for you.
For this one, I think it's a second character that he just wants as healbot. If that's the case, the Healer class (Mini) is most appropriate, since that's what they do. The DMM Cleric will heal a lot better though, and do a lot more besides.

Nohwl
2010-06-11, 12:57 AM
you could edit the class if you really wanted. or just delete the entire thing and tell the dm that you can't use it because it no longer exists.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 12:57 AM
Bob The Healer.
Get high Wisdom and a passable Charisma.

Alignment: Neutral Good.

Feats: Empower Spell, Persist Spell, Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell, Extra Turning

Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Knowledge Religion 9 ranks.

Cleric 5/Radiant Servant of Pelor 10/Other PrC or simply cleric 5

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 01:04 AM
Yes same DM. He doesnt want all that broken crap in his game..and kinda presses down too hard.

Yeah its pretty much a heal bot. Just wanted to have it do something nice that wasnt that stupid.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 01:09 AM
Yes same DM. He doesnt want all that broken crap in his game..and kinda presses down too hard.

Yeah its pretty much a heal bot. Just wanted to have it do something nice that wasnt that stupid.
A Druid is fine but an Artificer is not? :smallconfused:

PId6
2010-06-11, 01:11 AM
A Druid is fine but an Artificer is not? :smallconfused:
Well, to be fair, an artificer can theoretically get more powerful than the druid. Theoretically.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 01:11 AM
Exactly my point. He believes that the articer is more abusable due the armor enhancements and such..and the ability to gain so much for free. (or close to it)

Shadowleaf
2010-06-11, 01:12 AM
But but but, a Druid doesn't even need armor. Or weapons. Or pretty much items in general.

Logic fail. :smallannoyed:

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 01:14 AM
<--- knows how you feel.

<--- Enjoys finding way to do stuff.

<-- is allowed to play his spellwarp sniper if he healbots also.

Myth
2010-06-11, 02:26 AM
Hey if Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor (or other Sun deity) is not enough healing, maybe just go staright Wizard, do an infinite cash loop, obrain scrolls of Gate and whenver someone gets a papercut, Gate them to the Positive Energy Plane. Then ask your DM if that's enough healing? :smallbiggrin:

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 02:50 AM
that works? lol

nah looked into cleric+pelor its pretty rockin...ty guys for the help and all. gonna present it tomorrow..with a big shiny bow..and smack across the head.

Thurbane
2010-06-11, 03:34 AM
I was all excited when I read the title, I thought someone had finally made the "leather rebel" Bard variant. :smallbiggrin:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ivxifd.jpg

Yora
2010-06-11, 04:40 AM
I can't lie, everytime I see someone link to that site I cringe.
This is not a class! It's a commoner with a wand of cure light wounds?

blueblade
2010-06-11, 04:48 AM
wow. Usually Dandwiki goes the other way in brokenness, but that might just be the weakest class I've ever seen.

gimped combat, no casting, no turning, loss of armour, loss of domain abilities. For almost nothing at all.

I'm in shock...

Wings of Peace
2010-06-11, 06:42 AM
Man, I usually feel dirty going on DandDWiki but that discussion page made me smile and even laugh.

Prime32
2010-06-11, 06:54 AM
This should be a help to you:

A Player's Guide to Healing (And why you will be just fine without a cleric to heal) (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29)

I think that version might be out of date though.

hawkingbird
2010-06-11, 06:59 AM
gimped combat, no casting, no turning, loss of armour, loss of domain abilities. For almost nothing at all.

The only "advantage" is the spells... which clerics get already! Whoever wrote that must have thought that if a cleric farted the world would split in two! Even a nerfbat couldn't do that much damage!

Yeah, not much beats a Cleric of Pelor in terms of healing power.

AstralFire
2010-06-11, 07:02 AM
This is perhaps the most pathetic excuse for homebrew I have ever seen. The part of me that thought the Fighter and Monk were awesome when I was brand new to 3.0 would still have facepalmed upon looking at this class.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 01:04 PM
Heh, Thank you guys. Had to make him actually read this stuff.

Pelor is still being discussed but so far so good...ill look at that guide.

Jeff240sx
2010-06-11, 01:42 PM
Here's my reasonable arguement for playing an artificer:

Hey. I'm supposed to have fun. Not get shoehorned into playing a specific character.

My arguement for the "Well.. fine. But you still can't be an OP Artificer."

Hey. It's your game. Make exotic enchantments require a bit of [quested] material components.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 01:51 PM
Pelor is ok. It has been approved.

Prime32
2010-06-11, 02:10 PM
Pelor is ok. It has been approved.You're playing Pelor? :smallconfused:

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 02:14 PM
You're playing Pelor? :smallconfused:
Presumably Radiant Servant of Pelor, but the idea of playing Pelor as just a healbot amuses me now.

Greenish
2010-06-11, 02:21 PM
This is not a class! It's a commoner with a wand of cure light wounds?Now now, don't be so harsh. See, it's in the "strong spellcasting" category, so obviously it's a strong class!

Yeah, it looks like an NPC class. It might be amusing to take Leadership and load up on level 1 Priest followers. CMW at will * 100.

Pluto
2010-06-11, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it looks like an NPC class. It might be amusing to take Leadership and load up on level 1 Priest followers. CMW at will * 100.
I wouldn't even use this as an NPC class. SLA Raise Dead and Resurrection would make for a seriously bizarre campaign world.

Greenish
2010-06-11, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't even use this as an NPC class. SLA Raise Dead and Resurrection would make for a seriously bizarre campaign world.I meant that it looks more like an NPC class (as opposed to a PC class), not that it would work even as such.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 02:29 PM
Lol...Yeah radiant servant of pelor or w/e.

That leadership might be cool heh..and how do i go about this yanking a other plane creature in to do something for me?

Beorn080
2010-06-11, 02:36 PM
I meant that it looks more like an NPC class (as opposed to a PC class), not that it would work even as such.

Wow. I just looked at it. They gave at will CLW at level one, then Lay on Hands at level two. WHAT is the point of Lay on Hands, since even with 18 wisdom that's only 8 HP of healing.

Of course, I see silly brokenness even in that class. Take the Pain. No range, save, or limitation given, except for lvl x wis mod at a time. Its like mind rape + love's pain, except funnier. I might have taken that class just to lay waste to every BBEG the DM threw at us, automatically.

jiriku
2010-06-11, 05:41 PM
Lol...Yeah radiant servant of pelor or w/e.

That leadership might be cool heh..and how do i go about this yanking a other plane creature in to do something for me?

The summon monster and planar ally series are your usual suspects, but really, with a well-built cleric/RSOP and access to enough sourcebooks, you can basically full-heal the entire party every round until you run out of spell slots, then full-heal them again out of combat without even using spell slots.

Be sure to grab the Augment Healing feat (CD). Use it with spells like energetic healing (BoED), healing spirit (SC), positive energy aura (SC), and darts of life (CC) for extremely effective healing. Also, the free Empower you get on your RSoP domain heals will increase the benefit of the feat by 50%. The Imbue Healing feat (CC) is also quite helpful.

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-11, 06:39 PM
Bah, get creative. Tell him to let you run an ardent healer. Psionic healing won't break the game.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-11, 06:40 PM
Bah, get creative. Tell him to let you run an ardent healer. Psionic healing won't break the game.

Bet you 1GP this DM bans psionics because they're OP.:smallmad:

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 08:27 PM
You won your GP.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-11, 08:29 PM
...Why are you playing with this person?

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 08:49 PM
Only local game I have been able to find.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-11, 08:51 PM
No gaming is better than bad gaming.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-11, 09:12 PM
And PbP gaming is better than no gaming, but even no gaming is better than bad gaming. And this really sounds like bad gaming.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 09:34 PM
Yall are right...probably gonna cut out of this game.

Beorn080
2010-06-11, 09:41 PM
I recommend some fun first. Hehehe. Use your oath as a healer to split healing between the party and the enemy. Insist that your hypocritical oath requires you to heal anyone in need. Maybe even use the diamonds for raise dead on the enemy.

Remember, the second anyone gets hit, your next to them healing them. No matter who they are.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-11, 09:46 PM
Actually thought of finding a way to incorporate the best way to heal someone is to remove them from this world..cuz if they are no longer in pain..they no longer need a heal.

retkin
2010-06-11, 09:48 PM
You could play this class with vop, and have fun with take the pain, no save/no sr unlimited amount of times per day as a standard action.

hawkingbird
2010-06-11, 09:52 PM
I recommend some fun first. Hehehe. Use your oath as a healer to split healing between the party and the enemy. Insist that your hypocritical oath requires you to heal anyone in need. Maybe even use the diamonds for raise dead on the enemy.

Remember, the second anyone gets hit, your next to them healing them. No matter who they are.

I like this. If the DM is gonna be a pain then you need to make sure that he gets a taste of his own medicine. Just be careful to not be a **** to your other party members

And a good DM should be able to compensate for OP classes without banning them. And further evidence to him not being a good DM, he allowed druids and is now allowing you a cleric..? if you're gonna ban OP classes then get rid of the lot (making sure you have a good excuse for it)

Kylarra
2010-06-11, 09:54 PM
Passive aggressive pissing contests are pretty much the epitome of immaturity. If you don't like the way things are being handled, be up front about it, don't get into passive aggressive in-game "attacks".

AstralFire
2010-06-11, 09:55 PM
Passive aggressive pissing contests are pretty much the epitome of immaturity. If you don't like the way things are being handled, be up front about it, don't get into passive aggressive in-game "attacks".

Thisthisth

Quietus
2010-06-11, 09:55 PM
Actually thought of finding a way to incorporate the best way to heal someone is to remove them from this world..cuz if they are no longer in pain..they no longer need a heal.

That's just foolish. Aiming to break this guy's game will only prove two things. A) You're capable of acting like a child, and B) He (in his mind) needs to ban even MORE crap that shouldn't be. You're only gonna give him horror stories to pass on to his next group, and make things worse for that group in the form of him banning everything but commoners.

You want to really make a difference? Talk to him, man to man. Or .. well, substitute genders as needed. Find out WHY he is insisting you play a healbot - and beyond that, WHY he wants you to play such a terrible one. Ask him why he isn't allowing you to play a character of your own devising. And if he's still unreasonable? Step up and show him how it's done. Run a game yourself. If you've never done that before, it's a real eye-opener, shows you all the little annoying things we do as players that aren't appreciated by the DM... and if you're decent at it, you can show him that a game without unnecessary restrictions is better off for it.

Beorn080
2010-06-11, 09:58 PM

Well, if your allowed, you could be a planar shepherd. Just looked it up. Its very closely linked to druid though, but it lets you manifest a plane that you are linked to. In particular, you can link to a major positive dominant plane.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#positiveDominant

Fast healing 5, and exploding people with love and healing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-11, 10:14 PM
Yanno, I remember I had created quite a powerful healbot/buffbot class with a sneaky way of being effective in combat...

First off, let's get the basics down:

Spontaneous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) Cloistered Cleric of Pelor

Radiant Servant of Pelor eventually auto-maxes and auto-empowers all healing spells cast from your domain. Now, all the healing spells you cast are automatically from your domain, so you don't have to worry about this. However, you are only taking 5 levels of RSoP.

However, that's not the really cute trick...

First off, we're going to be kind of funny about using DMM. You see, we're not using Persist. We're using Chain Spell. As an excuse, say "So I can heal and buff the whole party". He should go for it.

Make sure to pick up Reach Spell as well, as Chain Spell requires a spell to be range greater than touch.

So, by 9th level, your feats should be: Reach Spell, Chain Spell, DMM: Chain Spell, and Extra Turning. And you should have 5th level spells.

Now then, as a Spontaneous divine caster, you automatically get all your domain spells as Spells Known. So, we're going to abuse the Hades out of it.

There's a PrC which gives you a bonus domain every level. You want spells? Here, have spells. You'll have one of the largest spontaneous spell lists in the game, barring a Beguiler/Rainbow Serpent. And you'll legitimately have 9th level spells to boot. With possibilities of things like Wish, Time Stop, and Gate on your spell list, depending on the domains chosen.

We're not done yet.

After level 9, there's not much you need to blow feats on, so let's do Devotions from Complete Champion. Knowledge Devotion is a no-brainer, since all knowledge skills are class skills, and you have a stupid number of skill points anyways, so you might as well max out a few Knowledge skills. Which gives you a stupid bonus vs YES. Travel Devotion = move action with turn attempt. I could go on, but you get the idea.

One more thing...

Do make sure to pick up actually buffing spells to show to your GM that your spells chosen are, in every way, support-based. Because you are going to make this the most dangerous party who ever existed.

You see, here's some combos for you to work on:

1) DMM Chain Spell Greater Magic Weapon. Everyone's weapons? Yea, lots of enhancement bonuses. So no one needs to bother spending cash on +x when they can get +1 of x,y, and z and you give them the +yes afterwords. This will save the party millions of GP in savings.

2) Reach DMM Chain Magic Vestments. It's a 5th level spell, so you can cast it right when you hit DMM, at levle 9. This gives everyone's armor an enhancement bonus. See previous comment on how this is a Good Thing.

3) Reach DMM Chain Spell Freedom of Movement/Death Ward/Barkskin/Shield of faith. Immunity to a lot of Save or Loose effects, and lots of bonuses to AC. Save money by not needing Amulet of Natural Armor or Ring of Protection. These spells have a duration of less than Hours/Level, so it behooves you to cast them more strategically.

4) Reach DMM Chain Spell Slay Living. Reach out and kill someone. A lot of someones.

5) DMM Chain Spell Combust/Implosion. Do I even need to go any further?

6) DMM Chain Spell Enervation. or heck, Energy Drain if you want.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-12, 12:40 AM
Im liking that reach thing...and the trickery..

On the note of a man to man discussion. We discussed things and due to me playing in a few old Vampire the masquerade games..my power limit is a bit low..he doesnt want me to be power gaming.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-12, 08:10 AM

I recommend not doing this at all. If you decide to walk, walk, don't make the game worse for everyone else before you leave.

Glimbur
2010-06-12, 11:46 AM
If you're looking for a different group, I suspect there's a potential DM much closer to you than you may think...

What's stopping you from running your own game?