PDA

View Full Version : optimizing help

bobspldbckwrds
2010-06-11, 01:08 AM
first off eddie, if you are reading this give some input on this, and tell what is allowed and what isn't.

alright, here's the beef.

i am currently playing a ftr3/human paragon1 right now. he is a trip monkey and the party only has one other person(VOP monk, going for fist of the forest). i know that barbarian is always a good dip, especially with ACF's and i am seriously looking into runescarred berserker, for a little bit of magic(i have heard it is quite tasty.)

my questions are

1) what book is RSB from?
2) how many levels of barbarian should i take?
3) how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie pop?
4) as a non caster, am i gimping myself too badly with the flavorful human paragon class? (just looking for thoughts here, i plan on taking it the whole way.)

PId6
2010-06-11, 01:14 AM
1. Unapproachable East
2. One
3. 42
4. It's not the worst, but not the best either. The bonus feat and the ability increase is nice, but it's usually not worth it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-11, 01:21 AM
2. Two levels with the Wolf-Totem variant, you get Improved Trip for free without needing Combat Expertise, so the second level is worth two feats.
4. Consider picking up a level of Duskblade before the next two Human Paragon levels, you won't lose any BAB and you'll get some useful abilities. You can even get a Circlet of Rapid Casting for Swift True Strike 3/day.

Optimystik
2010-06-11, 01:56 AM
Am I missing something with RSB? I don't see a clause anywhere that lets them cast spells while raging, even from their scars. There's also no clause about activating the scars not provoking an AoO, and they can't Concentrate while in a rage to keep the spell.

Add to that that they need to spend gp and XP every time they prepare spells, and I'm much more likely to go with Rage Mage or Champion of Gwynharwyf.

bobspldbckwrds
2010-06-11, 02:13 AM
those are good points i need to consider, Optimystik, thanks.

Keld Denar
2010-06-11, 02:19 AM
If you want a Barbarian castery type, check out the PrC called Suel Arcanamach in Complete Arcane. You need melee classes to get in, with its +6 BAB requirement, but it gives boosts to CL vs dispels and such, so that you barely miss the extra caster levels. You can then use a class like Rage Mage(CWarrior) to progress both your barb skillz and your mage skillz, so long as you don't rely too much on your mage skillz beyond a few swift action spells and a couple long duration buffs. Otherwise, traditional gish PrCs like Abjurant Champion (CMage), 1 level of Spellsword(CWarrior), and the like are decent options.