PDA

View Full Version : Gaining and upgrading a familiar...

Tyger
2010-06-11, 10:17 AM
My bard is taking the Obtain Familiar feat - probably a raven. But I would like to, in 3 levels, take the Improved Familiar feat and upgrade said raven to an Imp... but that would cost me 1200 -2400 XP when I dismiss the old one!

Tell me I am misunderstanding how that works, or that there is a way around it!?!?

Saph
2010-06-11, 10:19 AM
Tell me I am misunderstanding how that works, or that there is a way around it!?!?

Not that I know of. Sorry.

gbprime
2010-06-11, 10:57 AM
Well if you take 2 levels of the Diabolist PrC (Book of Vile Darkness), you get an Imp free of charge. (It actually devours your existing familiar at no penalty to you.) But that's several feats and a 2 level dip.

I seem to recall another similar effect someplace else, but I can't find it offhand.

Eldariel
2010-06-11, 10:59 AM
My bard is taking the Obtain Familiar feat - probably a raven. But I would like to, in 3 levels, take the Improved Familiar feat and upgrade said raven to an Imp... but that would cost me 1200 -2400 XP when I dismiss the old one!

You could discuss with the DM that Imp. Familiar comes with a free "upgrade" on your familiar. Alternatively, just don't bind Familiar until you gain Imp. Familiar.

Tyger
2010-06-11, 11:19 AM
You could discuss with the DM that Imp. Familiar comes with a free "upgrade" on your familiar. Alternatively, just don't bind Familiar until you gain Imp. Familiar.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking as well. Just hoping that he'll come along for the ride, as I really don't want to have a dead feat for the next three levels. Of course, I could (we use retraining rules) get another feat instead, then retrain it at level 12, then take Improved Familiar...

Hmmm. Now I just have to pitch it to the DM. Here's hoping.