PDA

View Full Version : AvB - group aside

Rizban
2010-06-11, 02:49 PM
Though I'm DMing too, I don't read the threads that planswalker DMs nor does he read mine. We keep on top of the NPCs fairly well, but we try to keep as ignorant of the other players as possible so that we don't take advantage of DM knowledge when we play our characters to try to keep things fair.

In fact, I arbitrarily make up new content for his characters and he for mine so that we don't know what's going on. (Note that we do this for most of the players...)

If I run into you at the mermaid, It'll be my pleasure. I didn't catch your name, though?

"My name is, Punchinello, proprietor of Punchinello's Charms and Incantations. A fair lady such as yourself is certain to get a discount on anything she needs when she shops with me."

He bids farewell to the two, giving the other man a card to look him up sometime. He hands you a card as well, a note written on the back asking Grace to meet him at a semi-nebulous not at all certain private location of which Grace knows and knows to be safe.

[hr]Later, at the meeting place...

sum1won
2010-06-11, 07:33 PM
Hello again, Punchinello. Was there something you came to talk about? I'm a bit low on funds right now, as it happens, but what do you usually have to sell?

Not gonna bother diplochecking a PC. Social checks just seem to be completely overplayed instead?

planswalker
2010-06-11, 07:35 PM
diplo specifically doesn't work on pc's. the phb actually says that directly.

sum1won
2010-06-11, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I know- intimidate, too. I've seen them used to establish dynamis in pc-pc interactions all the same, though.

planswalker
2010-06-11, 07:41 PM
yeah, you can, but i don't think placing numbers to social interactions adds much

Rizban
2010-06-11, 07:53 PM
"I did not intentionally set out to find you or the other man. It was mere coincidence; however, I am not one to overlook the luck in happenstance.

I do not make it a habit to invite people aside for merely the purveyance of some trinket or anything. I noticed you seem to have particular... talents. I am curious as to how you managed to stop a fight between those two so easily earlier today."

Rizban
2010-06-11, 08:05 PM
"You see, I'm looking to hire someone for a quick, easy job or two, or better yet, to just make a friend here in Sesbury."

sum1won
2010-06-11, 08:13 PM
Its no mysterious talent- simply the gift of gab. I pretended to be an irate wizard to scare them so they stopped fighting. I've found that if folk think you are willing and able to turn them into a toad, they rarely push you on the subject. I'm not sure that was the talent you were thinking of, though it can be mightier than it sounds.

Anyway, I was trying to make further sense of their conflict when I was blasted with lightning. Thats around where you came in.

Rizban
2010-06-11, 08:18 PM
"That it precisely the talent to which I refer. You see, I am quite adept at being prepared for any situation, except those important social interactions which crop up so frequently.

I'm looking to hire a 'face' for my business. A beautiful woman, much like yourself, who can be present when I am meeting with important people to help me negotiate a better deal. I can pay rather well, assuming the deals work out in my favor.

A meeting would take an hour at most, and it would require you to work only rarely."

sum1won
2010-06-11, 08:43 PM
I've been told I have one of those faces. It sounds like you've got yourself a deal - If you don't me using your clients as contacts on occasion. Is one of these engagements coming up soon?

Suggestion? Drop-box type things could probably be set up at taverns. Basically someone 'rents' a box for a nominal fee, say at the Maid and Mermaid, and others can leave messages at it. Sort of a primitive post-system. It'd be a convenient, IC way for characters to contact one another.

Rizban
2010-06-11, 08:49 PM
I like the idea. We'll have to come up with something

Actually, yes. Yes, there is. I am to meet with one Herman Poetsche, a ranking member of the Merchants' Guild this afternoon.

sum1won
2010-06-11, 09:29 PM
This afternoon? I believe I can do that. Where shall I meet you, and what is your objective in this negotiation? Is there a particular role you want me to play in your enterprise?

This... afternoon? I was under the impression that it was evening for my character. She hasn't quite finished her first day. Meh. I'll just fold this somewhere into the timeline for my character tomorrow(other thread)/today(this thread).

[roll0] Sense motive check for foul play. DC 20. Grace has no intention of being set up as a stooge, even if its only her cover that is getting set up.

planswalker
2010-06-11, 09:35 PM
he is definitely genuine

Rizban
2010-06-11, 09:44 PM
Just assume this conversation takes place the following morning or something. Whatever fits with your character.

"If you could just meet me at his office, you can find it on Broad Chase a little way down from the Merchants' Guild. I'm actually meeting with his secretary in order to try to obtain a meeting with him.

My goal is to climb the ladder of the business world and leave him with a favorable impression."

You sense he is not telling you the full truth. After a bit of prodding, he admits that he also wants the meeting so that he might personally assess his rivals.

I applied that Sense Motive roll to this post instead of the previous one, since I had planned to leave the part out about considering him a rival.

sum1won
2010-06-11, 11:56 PM
Very well. I will see you then.

somewhat later.

"Grace" heads down to Broad Chase to meet Punchinello.

Sorry- planswalker just reminded me that my character's evetns don't HAVE to be strictly linear.

Rizban
2010-06-11, 11:58 PM
No problem

You realize that you're running slightly late and Punchinello has already gone inside the building.

Punchinello whistles to himself while he waits patiently.

planswalker
2010-06-12, 12:01 AM
Just assume this conversation takes place the following morning or something. Whatever fits with your character.

the funny thing about this storytelling... the guy who y'all saved? he has gone through a week of game time. i love non-linear time and instanced storytelling.

planswalker
2010-06-12, 12:03 AM
The lobby is rather empty at the moment, except for an orcish security guard in one corner and a rather haggard-looking gnome. And the two of you.

Rizban
2010-06-12, 12:03 AM
the funny thing about this storytelling... the guy who y'all saved? he has gone through a week of game time. i love non-linear time and instanced storytelling.

Yep, it definitely makes things fun. My character is currently on day... 2? 3? Actually, with the crafting, it's more like Day 2 or 3 of the second month.

planswalker
2010-06-12, 12:09 AM
Yep, it definitely makes things fun. My character is currently on day... 2? 3? Actually, with the crafting, it's more like Day 2 or 3 of the second month.

well, we could have all the crafting "down time" take place after your character has ascended to the throne and conquered the world.

Rizban
2010-06-12, 12:15 AM
well, we could have all the crafting "down time" take place after your character has ascended to the throne and conquered the world.

But that's not even my goal in this game. Just because I tried that once in another completely different campaign doesn't mean that's always my goal.

My goal in this game is to make lots of phat lewt for the other players, retire as a wealthy merchant, and eventually die of old age, leaving my wealth to be squabbled over by ungrateful heirs due to an ambiguous will, starting the whole process of power struggle and nasty assassinations all over again.

I kind of like the status quo.

sum1won
2010-06-12, 12:19 AM
Grace turns to Punchinello. I presume you've arranged the meeting already?

Rizban
2010-06-12, 12:23 AM
"Should be any moment now..."

Rizban
2010-06-12, 12:40 AM
Or maybe not, since planswalker signed off...

planswalker
2010-06-12, 12:42 AM
"Mr. Poetsche will see you now."

Rizban
2010-06-12, 12:46 AM
Punchinello stands and inclines his head towards Grace.

"After you, m'lady"

He allows Grace to go first, like a gentleman. He even troubles to open the door for her should it be necessary. Anything to impress Poetsche, right?

planswalker
2010-06-12, 01:06 AM
You enter a lavishly decorated room, ornate yet pracitcal. A woman in her late 20's is sitting behind a desk. The attendant walks over to her and whispers something in her ear. She whispers something back and dismisses him. Turning to you, she says, "Please, take a seat. What is your business with Mr. Poetsche?"

sum1won
2010-06-12, 10:58 AM
Grace demurely thanks Punchinello and takes the offered seat.

My associate here would like to meet with Mr. Poetsche to discuss a mutually beneficial arrangement. He understands that Mr. Poetsche is a man of no little wealth and influence, and has an offer that he would like to extend.

Grace smiles politely.

Privately.

[roll0]Diplomacy check.

planswalker
2010-06-12, 03:58 PM
"He is a very busy man and has no time to hear frivolous business offers from people with no experience. First of all, you may as well leave right now if you or your associate are not a member of the guild."

sum1won
2010-06-12, 06:30 PM
@planswalker
Is it safe to assume that an apothecaries license is a guild membership, as it is a part of the merchant's guild, or is she asking about something else?

planswalker
2010-06-12, 06:38 PM
an apothecaries' license is not a guild membership. however, rizban does have a guild membership. the license allows you to practice medicine within the city without being hauled to jail. the membership entitles the owner to special guild benefits. Reich is in charge of apothecarys' licensing, while it takes a general consensus of the guild leadership to issue a membership. part of rizban's first quest earned him membership.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 01:47 AM
Punchinello slides his guild membership card across the desk for the secretary to examine.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 01:58 AM
She glances over the card perfunctorily, then slides it back. "Well, a new guild member, i see." (your card is dated with the day your membership was instated) "You are quite as ambitious as any new member is expected to be. I am sure that you have a wonderful new idea that needs Mr. Poetsche's financial backing, but he did not reach his position by loaning out money to every starry-eyed entrepreneur who can get a membership. Convince me why i should let you in to see him. His time is too valuable to waste listening to every half-baked idea that someone comes up with."

Rizban
2010-06-13, 02:56 PM
"I'm not looking for a handout.

I am a gifted creator of fine magical items of significant power.

In fact, I would prefer to offer contract services to him in exchange for financial help rather than a simple loan."

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:02 PM
"well, you certainly aren't the typical little fish trying to act like a shark. Are there any specifics to this 'plan' of yours?"

hint: diplomancy might be in order about now. she started off hostile and riz's little speech just bumped her up to unfriendly

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:05 PM
sum1won isn't on right now, but I'd really like to move this along, because it might have bearing on another player or two that I'm running. Would it be okay if I make a short speech and either you or I roll the diplomacy check for the character using her +18?

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:09 PM
sure. you roll it for her.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:11 PM
"I... don't... exactly have a, uh... plan.

I brought some of my merchandise to show to him and assumed he would have a better understanding of how to profit from my skills than I have managed. It would be his money being invested, after all..."

Grace puts some sort of amazing spin on that, which impresses the secretary greatly.

[roll0]

Edit: Which is exactly enough to get her to Friendly... unless you threw in negative circumstance modifiers.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:17 PM
i didn't. hostile was a negative enough starting circumstance.

Very well, i will set you up with an appointment with Mr. Poetsche for an hour from now.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:27 PM
Punchinello and Grace return to the waiting room... to wait.

"Thank you, Grace. You have been most helpful. I don't know how I would have made it through that meeting without you."

He passes her a small bag of coins, 100gp to be precise.

"That's the full payment, but you can stick around for the next meeting if you want. I can't pay you any more than I already have for your help at the moment."

One hour later...

Based on what you know of her character, I'll let you decide whether or not she stays, since the player isn't here.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:36 PM
i'm not sure, so i'll just have her stick around and retcon her out if she objects to the godmod choice.

She agrees to stick around, having gotten curious as to what will happen next.

An hour later, the two of you enter Mr. Poetsche's office and sit down. The man swivels his thickly padded leather chair around and says, "Well, i hear that you have a business proposition for me, Mr. Punchinello. Tell me, do you mind if i call you Pun?"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:51 PM
"Uh, sure, that's fine...

Basically, I create and sell magical charms and protections, like this one."

Punchinello draws out an amulet of enemy detection from his robes.

"See, this warns me of anyone who means harm to me or any of my allies nearby. It's really quite handy. I can create many other useful items too. In fact, I have a much, much more powerful version of this very amulet."

He withdraws a visibly identical amulet from his belt.

"I'm sure you've heard of the recent and very tragic death of one Mr. Luitpold Strackeljahn. Have you not? I was commissioned to create this very amulet for him, and he promised to pay me 20,000 gold pieces for it, which is certainly a distinct discount based on its numerous and powerful abilities. Unfortunately, he cheated me at the last moment, so I took back my amulet from him. I am somewhat regretful for that though, as it seems he met his death that very day. Would that I had but known he was so marked, I might not have been so hasty.

You see, this amulet not only warns you of threats, if the threat is against your very life, it prevents that threat. Should someone be actively attempting to kill you or one of your bodyguards to get to you, it will assault the target's mind, dominating and crushing it utterly. Then it will blast the target's nearby allies into submission.

Now, I know you're no common banker or such, so I do not intend to try to sell this amulet to you. I know that you can see my skill, and I am offering those skills to use are your disposal. My desire is to open up my own store here on Broad Chase, and if you would but help fund that, I will gladly split the proceeds with you.

This amulet, however, I give to you as a gift, regardless of your decision.""

Note that Punchinello is wearing and is attuned to the one amulet, but there are no other features on it other than the basic ability. The one he's offering to Poetsche is the only one with special features.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:55 PM
i'm hungry and having a hard time figuring out what poetsche would say to this. give me a chance to eat at the DH when it opens first.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:59 PM
Okay, I've got to go for awhile anyway.

sum1won
2010-06-13, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I've been on an airplane at airports for the past day or so. Will try to catch up.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 07:05 PM
k, i'd like a diplo roll from someone to influence how concilatory he will be to your request. as a trust building thing.

sum1won
2010-06-13, 07:13 PM
Mr. Poetschke, I urge you to consider accept his offer. Your business acumen is well known in the community, and you can see how lucrative this enterprise could be for you.

[roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-13, 07:18 PM
"Very well. I will take your business venture. However, i hope you will not take it amiss if i feel that your trinket is unnecessary." With a wave of his hand, a halfling with batlike wings, a dwarf with a very large axe, and an elf in bright blue robes appear out of thin air. The dwarf and elf each have a golden ring on. "No one with hostile intent can get close to me." he says smugly. "What more can that brooch of yours do, especially if you can afford to part with it for free?"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 07:20 PM
"I really can't afford to part with it for free... I just didn't want to come empty handed asking for money. I thought a worthwhile gift was in order, and it is truly the most expensive and useful object I own."

planswalker
2010-06-13, 07:25 PM
""You will forgive me for not taking you at your word, but i didn't get to where i am today by accepting every 'gift' at face value"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 07:28 PM
Punchinello pockets the amulet.

"Regardless, I'm still in need of funds to open my business. If you don't want my best, then you don't want it. I suppose I shall just have to take my wares elsewhere."

Punchinello stands to leave.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 07:31 PM
"Just a moment. Surely you will not throw away my guaranteed backing in this over one trinket?"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 07:41 PM
"You insult my best work then insist that you want to back me? I apologize, but this seems somewhat odd to me. I offer my best, and you think it worth little. I do not understand why you would then choose to invest your own money in something you view as trivial.

Unless, of course, you are trying to infuriate and manipulate me into accepting a lesser offer with a higher interest rate or some other such thing."

planswalker
2010-06-13, 07:45 PM
He gives you a warm smile. "I can see that you have an acute business acumen. I do trust you to be a competent businessman. However, i make it a personal policy to never trust a magical item i haven't seen used before. More than once someone haas tried to manipulate me or kill me with a 'gift'. Can you demonstrate its power for me?"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 07:55 PM
"Sure, if you have an employee you're willing to kill off.

The first problem with that is that it only activates the damaging abilities on an intent to kill. If he's not genuinely trying to kill the wearer, then it doesn't activate except to warn you of hostile intentions. If he is genuinely intent on killing the wearer, then it will activate automatically, before the wearer even has time to react to the danger.

The second problem is that it can only be attuned once. Once it is attuned, it can't be given to someone else. If I use this one to demonstrate, then you will have to wait for me to create another, which also can't be adequately demonstrated for you. I suppose you could call that a flaw in the design. Changing that would cause the amulet to double in cost."

No Bluff checks, because there are no lies in there. Just making sure you're not going to try to call for one for me trying to sell him on my amulet or something like that.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 08:05 PM
"Well, it seems like i will have to trust you if we are to be business associates. You are quite the hard bargainer. Very well, i accept, if you will take a token of trust from me as well."

Rizban
2010-06-13, 08:07 PM
"Agreed. Tell me what this token is and what it does."

sum1won
2010-06-13, 08:09 PM
It seems to me that demonstrating the utility of a potentially deadly device might not be safe to a few of the test subjects. Were you planning on using your bodyguards, or just having them examine it? The second option may be safer.

Anyways... about that venture?

With that, Grace leans back and crosses her arms.

Grace has gotten him to the meeting, and looks like he is biting on giving punchinello a shop. [roll0] Intimidate check. Trying to throw some disarray into enemy ranks so they get back to business.

OOC: he's got quite the guard coterie for a predominantly human town. Halfling with wings? Ninjad about a million times. Thats what I get for slow posting.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 08:16 PM
He reaches into his cloak, and pulls out a pair of armguards. "These are one half of a linked set. I wear the other pair. They allow us to transfer our wounds from one owner of the armbands to the other. The transfer can only work once for each injury, however. If i give a wound to you, you cannot give it back, and vice versa. Once you have placed them on, they will attune to you, and form a bond with you. Few spells can break their enchantment once they have attuned to you. Should either of us feel the other has betrayed them, they need only think about the pain and focus on their armguards and the wound shall be transferred to the other. This can work 2 ways, so you are not enslaved by them. however, they must be put on willingly and their effect cannot be resisted afterwords. Are you willing to trust me?"

and no, this isn't meant to be a wall that you can't climb, i'm just trying to make this worth the rewards you will get. And see if you aren't a one-strategy killer. you can kill him with the amulet, but it won't be so easy this time.

sum1won
2010-06-13, 08:50 PM
Grace leans forward.

Can you demonstrate that power? I'd quite like to see that.

Okay, she has a bit of a creepy side.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 08:54 PM
"as soon as your associate dons his"

Rizban
2010-06-13, 11:13 PM
Punchinello smiles.

"Ah, remarkable craftsmanship. Indeed, it is superb."

He places his monocle over his eye then spends right at a minute examining it and acting very intrigued by the skill with which it was created. Indeed, he is very curious about it.

[roll0]
DC15 to identify.
Free identify thanks to my artificer's monocle.

Yay! Do I find anything else on it?

Other properties or abilities? Item price? Contingent spells?

planswalker
2010-06-14, 08:58 AM
it appears to be exactly what he claims it is. a pair of arm guards that allow two-way wound transfer

Rizban
2010-06-14, 02:00 PM
[roll0]
Let's see if I can glean any more from it.

Fail.

Punchinello finally shrugs and dons the armbands.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 02:01 PM
not with a roll that low

Rizban
2010-06-14, 02:15 PM
Punchinello then slides the amulet over to Poetschke.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 02:25 PM
he grins and places the amulet around his neck. "Well, i guess we shall have to trust each other for now on. So, with that out of the way, please tell me about the specifics of what we are talking about."

Rizban
2010-06-14, 02:32 PM
Punchinello suddenly gets a grimace on his face, grabs a pen from his pocket and shoves it up under the bracers. A moment later, a look of relaxation comes across his face.

"Phew, sorry. Itch."

He places the pen back in his pocket.

"The shop I'm interested in purchasing for my business is a two story brick building on Broad Chase and Schneider Street. They're asking 25,620.00gp for it.

If I can get an established clientele, I should be able to recoup that cost rather quickly, as I have found a number of ways to greatly reduce the costs of creating magic items."

planswalker
2010-06-14, 02:34 PM
"So, what do you need from me, exactly? Surely you either have the funds to purchase it or can take a loan."

Rizban
2010-06-14, 02:37 PM
"Yeah, sure, but see, I'm a craftsman, not a business man. You are a business man, and you have experience with it. I thought that I might do better if you were to buy into it and offer advice on getting it up and running.

Then you'd own a percentage of the profits earned indefinitely, unless you chose to allow me to buy you out."

planswalker
2010-06-14, 02:40 PM
"So, let's talk percentages: 70% of your profits and i will pay the entire cost."

Rizban
2010-06-14, 02:44 PM
Punchinello nudges Grace. She'll be much better at this part then he would.

While she negotiates for a better deal, Punchinello writes out two copies of a standard business contract for the two to sign.

sum1won
2010-06-14, 04:29 PM
70% of the profits? We are talking about a high-profitability venture. With a simple loan, he would pay a far smaller percentage of his yearly profits, and retain full control. Now, you'd be contributing your business acumen as well, but you would have to be capable of increasing profits fourfold to justify that level of ownership. Given the margins already involved, this is highly unlikely.

Additionally, my client here is a solid, dependable businessman, making this a very low-risk proposition. Perhaps 30% would be more reasonable. I expect that you'll recoup your investment handsomely, and it is a far better deal than you would get for most uses of your money. Magic item creation would be extremely lucrative, with Mr. Punchinello's unique expertise.

[roll0] Diplomacy check. Using a point of inspiration for it. Trying to get him to lower the point so that Punchinello retains at lesat 50% ownership.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 04:37 PM
tell you what, i will take 40%, and i will give mr. Punchinello a very generous loan at 5% interest, compounded weekly, with an unlimited funding for his first year, to help him get started.

sum1won
2010-06-14, 04:38 PM
5% interest? A year? Cuz a week would pretty much be usury.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 05:07 PM
interest is usually assumed to be annual interest, and compounding is when you determine how much interest the current balance earns in interest, divided by the fraction of the intervals of compounding versus the interval of the interest.

Rizban
2010-06-14, 10:23 PM
interest is usually assumed to be annual interest, and compounding is when you determine how much interest the current balance earns in interest, divided by the fraction of the intervals of compounding versus the interval of the interest.

Right, what he said.

Punchinello nods, then fills in a blank spot near the top of the two contracts he's been writing.

"Agreed. That sounds good to me.

In fact, I have taken the liberty of writing up two copies of a contract, so that each of us might have a copy, detailing that which we have verbally agreed upon. Feel free to peruse it and sign at your leisure.

Indeed, the only blank left to fill is this one here, the one indicating the amount of the initial loan."

Punchinello slides the two contracts across the desk, along with his own pen. He indicates the blank for the loan amount with his finger as he does so.

Upon a very careful reading of the contract, Poetschke will find a clause which states that should either party die or be rendered unable to perform the obligations of the contract, the ownership of the company belonging to the signatory in violation reverts immediately and completely to the other signatory, and all debts, agreements, and other associations are render null and void.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 10:36 PM
He quickly signs and asks, "How much do you want the initial loan to be?"

Rizban
2010-06-14, 10:53 PM
"Enough to cover the purchase of the building as well as a little starting money would be enough. Does thirty thousand sound fair?"

planswalker
2010-06-14, 11:09 PM
"surely."

he fills in the blank for 30,000

Rizban
2010-06-14, 11:12 PM
Punchinello signs the contract as well and waits a moment to see if Poetschke will say anything more or produce the gold which he has promised.

planswalker
2010-06-14, 11:20 PM
He quickly scribbles a note down. "Give this to my secretary. She will give you a bank note which you can take to any bank. They will make good on it,"

500 story xp to each of you for a successful business incounter

sum1won
2010-06-14, 11:30 PM
That went even better than I expected. Say, mind doing me a bit of a favor? My friend's trying to start up her business- she's a bit of an apothecary, see. Right now she's running it from her room, on Burl and thats just not working. Besides, its rough down there. Mind letting her use your storespace to sell in, and maybe a place to sleep?

Rizban
2010-06-14, 11:30 PM
He quickly scribbles a note down. "Give this to my secretary. She will give you a bank note which you can take to any bank. They will make good on it,"

500 story xp to each of you for a successful business incounter

Woo!

Punchinello thanks Poetschke, bows slightly, and takes the note to Poetschke's secretary. Upon receiving the bank note and returning to the waiting area, he turns to Grace.

"Thank you greatly for your help. I'd be glad to discuss things with your friend as well.

The uh... building I'm purchasing has a second bedroom if you need a place to stay here in the city. I need allies and friends I can trust."

sum1won
2010-06-14, 11:53 PM
I've got a place to stay already, but she could probably use the room. Like I said, Burl street isn't safe, and she'd be better off in your shop. I'll send her down to your building, then. You can't miss her- she'll be carrying a load of supplies and such.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 12:07 AM
Punchinello smiles.

"She can come by tomorrow morning, as I intend to buy the building this afternoon. I do not know exactly when the transaction will be completed, or I'd say to send her by tonight.

Well, I hope that I can call on your services again some time. May your endeavors succeed."

He gives her the address and a polite nod and heads to Sesbury First Bank and Trust.

Well, I guess I'm taking this back to my personal thread now...

Yay! I got 4380 gold and a building! If Grace comes by the shop, Punchinello will be sure to give her a BIG discount off anything she wants.

sum1won
2010-06-15, 04:33 PM
The next morning, an olive skinned woman carrying a bundle of supplies stops by. She introduces herself as Grace's friend, and moves into the room, where she sets up an alchemy kit, and asks permission to sell her elixirs through your shop.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:42 PM
Punchinello guides here to the bedroom on the second floor, indicating the one behind the right hand door is vacant.

"I'm working myself to sell my creations, but I'd be glad to sell yours alongside my own. I'm looking to maybe hire a clerk to take care of the sales work for me eventually though.

I don't ask for a cut of your profits, just put in a good word with Grace for me. She has very useful skills that I'd like to retain in the future.

I think the three of us have a bright future ahead."

Rizban
2010-06-24, 10:37 PM
Several Days Later

Punchinello approaches Grace's "friend."

"Hey, would you be willing to contact Grace for me? I believe that I have more work that would be right up here alley."

sum1won
2010-06-25, 12:48 AM
Certainly! She just finished some piece of work she picked up earlier. I'll let her know when I next see her.

Grace stops by later that evening.

Right. What can I do for you, friend?

Rizban
2010-06-25, 09:39 PM
Punchinello hands her a list with 12 names on it.

"I'm doing a security check for a client. Would you be willing to use your wiles and charm to discover everything you can about the people on this list? I need the results as soon as possible and will certainly pay you for any information uncovered."

sum1won
2010-06-26, 08:27 PM
if you want it fast, I can just do some basic groundwork. It should take a day or so. Actual following them around town would take far longer, of course.

Rizban
2010-06-26, 08:29 PM
"Basic info is sufficient for now. Following the suspicious ones around town if you had time would be great. The more information, the better."

sum1won
2010-06-27, 11:32 PM
Very well.

Of the course of the next two days, Grace sees what she can learn about Punchinello'stargets.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]X10 minutes

planswalker
2010-06-28, 01:06 AM
you spend the better part of your free time investigating them. They seem to all be exactly what they appear, mostly servants born into that position. The blacksmith is rather interesting, though. He is a dwarf who only recently moved to the city. It is not known why it is he chose to serve instead of setting up his own private practice.

sum1won
2010-06-28, 10:53 AM
Grace visits the blacksmith. Time to get people talkin'

planswalker
2010-06-28, 11:27 AM
you find him at work in his shop.

sum1won
2010-06-28, 11:12 PM
Hello, sir. I've come to potentially commission some work from you, if you could. What is your specialty?

Rizban
2010-07-02, 05:53 AM
*nudge*invisitext

planswalker
2010-07-02, 05:55 AM
sum1won, i believe you will want to take this to punchinello's new shop thread, found in his sig.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 06:00 AM
Nope.

Grace is visiting Dergrall's blacksmith, trying to gather information based on that list Punchinello gave her, because he was the only one who seemed suspicious after an initial investigation.

planswalker
2010-07-02, 06:08 AM
ooh. I'd forgotten about this one. sorry.

"Why, my specialty? That'd be royal crownmaking out of mithral and adamantine."

Rizban
2010-07-02, 06:13 AM
Punchinello needs to commission a crown! As soon as he earns enough money to buy a small kingdom...

If I were playing Carith or Thirac, I could just build a kingdom, populate it with golems, homunculi, and other constructs, and be done with it.

Seriously though, that's not my goal. I'm having too much fun running around killing random NPCs so I can earn gold and xp to craft stuff. I just need more PCs to sell items to.

sum1won
2010-07-02, 09:12 AM
Royal crownmaking? That implies great talent, but surely you don't expect to get regular work that way. Do you do any other work, to pay the bills in the meantime?

seriously. [roll0] Diplo check

planswalker
2010-07-02, 09:17 AM
"Of course. I can work in all metals. I can do alchemical sivering, cold iron working, as well as more mundane silver, gold, platinum, iron, steel, brass, bronze, copper, even tin workings. I have a nice cozy little living with a patron. What more do i need?"

sum1won
2010-07-02, 11:13 PM
A patron? Surely, thats a little unusual for a blacksmith. Might I ask who is the unique individual that has a personal blacksmith working for them directly, and why?

[spoiler]Sorry, Rizban. updates might be a little slow- I've got a new job, and am doing something like 80+ hours a week right now.

Anyways, the diplomacy check should make him friendly enough to answer the questions, possibly with a little more roleplaying.

And taking 10 on Sense motive check for score of 20, which gives me a general assessment of his character.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 11:15 PM
Don't worry about the speed of your posts. The group thread that this is based on is still stuck on the night before I got the list I just gave to you. So, no real rush.

planswalker
2010-07-02, 11:46 PM
A patron? Surely, thats a little unusual for a blacksmith. Might I ask who is the unique individual that has a personal blacksmith working for them directly, and why?

His name is Lord Dergrall. I work for him because the pay is decent, there is enough work to keep me interested but not enough to be taxing, and he isn't rude to me, which is more than I can say for a lot of people in this town, present company excepted, of course. I keep myself busy with hobbies and other such private interests. It's a nice, quiet retirement. Much better than my last job.

sum1won
2010-07-03, 10:57 AM
Oh, no, I quite understand. Some folk here are terribly unprofessional. My second day here, I saw two bodyguards brawling in the street like common thugs. Terrible business, that, and that kind of rubbish can make it difficult to do my job. From your statement, I'm assuming you weren't always a smith?

Myself, I'm looking to possibly procure an adamantine blade for a handsaw.

planswalker
2010-07-03, 06:41 PM
he chuckles good naturedly. "Well, I wasn't always a smith true. I had to learn the craft as a child first, but i have been smithing all of my adult life. No, my last job was a a battlefield armorsmith. to halflings of all things. As to your request, of course i can. Anything for a polite young lady such as yourself. I hope you do realize how very expensive adamantine is. What you are asking for is not cheap."

sum1won
2010-07-03, 09:32 PM
Oh, I absolutely understand.

Adamantine handsaws are 100 gp or so in dungeonscape- I forget the exact amount, but that is because they are so small and have limited uses. Still about 200X normal cost

planswalker
2010-07-03, 09:52 PM
it's 600 gp, just loked it up. I will houserule that it will last 80 rounds of use, since it is so durable, in addition to ignoring hardness 25 and below and dealing 1 damage per round

"Of course. Now then, will you be supplying the adamantine, or will i have to find it?"

sum1won
2010-07-03, 10:12 PM
Oh, wow. Must have had it confused with mithral or something. Ughhh.

Anyways: Social networking, meet D&D. D&D, meet social networking.

As it happens, I can't quite afford that sum. I'll be sure to come back when I have sufficient funds, though...

You know, I happen to know an enchanter of some talent. To make up for wasting your time, I'll put in a good word for you with him. I'm sure that could be useful to you.

planswalker
2010-07-03, 10:16 PM
"It just may at that. Thank you." he says.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 05:37 AM
The next time Puncinello meets Grace, "So, what have you found out? Anything of interest?"

sum1won
2010-07-08, 09:23 AM
They all check out as fairly innocuous. One interesting thing: The dwarven smith appears to be in semi retirement, though he previously served as a battlefield armorsmith to halflings, and seems very competent. His specialty is crown-making, and his patron is Lord Dergall.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 03:45 PM
Punchinello gives her 1,000 gold.

"Well, it seems like our suspect isn't among the people on this list. Thank you for your effort."

sum1won
2010-07-08, 04:43 PM
A suspect? I may be able to find someone specific if I know a bit more.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 04:50 PM
"Truth be told, I'm planning to report this information then resign. It seems like the person by whom I was being employed has been targeted by a group of were creatures, and I'd rather not get involved in that."

sum1won
2010-07-08, 04:56 PM
Lycanthropes? My usual defenses won't work well against that lot. The dwarf works in silver- at least mundane silver- so he's probably safe.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 05:08 PM
"Well, I'm staying out of it once I report this information. Thank you again."

planswalker
2010-07-16, 12:26 PM
the other two of you still there?

Rizban
2010-07-16, 12:34 PM
sum1won was the only other person here.

planswalker
2010-07-16, 01:15 PM
yeah, that was a mis-post. opened the wrong tab

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:24 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

sum1won
2010-08-05, 09:46 PM
sorry for inactivity. the insane hours ends this weekend, after which I will have something resembling spare time again.

Rizban
2010-08-05, 11:11 PM
Not a problem. I'm glad your crazy hours are going to let up a bit. Everyone needs a bit of time to rest.