PDA

View Full Version : When you first saw the flood, what did YOU think?

xelliea
2010-06-11, 04:39 PM
When you first saw the flood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_(Halo)) in halo 1, 2 or 3, what did you think.

If you never saw the flood, click above.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-11, 04:42 PM
When you first saw the flood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_(Halo)) in halo 1, 2 or 3, what did you think.

If you never saw the flood, click above.

My thoughts were:

What the hell? DIE ALIENS DIE! *shoots madly with battle rifle*
-Xavez

Aragehaor
2010-06-11, 04:49 PM
Halo one: "Aww! how cute! whossa litt- ARGH. you bit me! the little jerk bit me!"

Halo two: "Did the flood get easier?"

Halo three: "Oh hey, nice a flamethrower. This is clearly for combating the flood! ARRRGGGHH!" :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-06-11, 04:54 PM
Oh, little headcrab-like bugs. Shotgun? Shotgun.

xp194
2010-06-11, 04:54 PM
Halo 1: ARRGH ZOMBIES
Halo 2: ARRGH MOAR ZOMBIES THAT REANIMATE
Halo 3: ARRGH MOAR ZOMBIES THAT REANIMATE AND INFECT AND *Whack* *Flood explodes* Huh.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-11, 04:55 PM
"Wheee, more Alien/Tyranid/Zerg ripoffs. Killemdead."

Comet
2010-06-11, 04:57 PM
Halo: "looks like things are about to get interesting."

Halo 2: "Oh hey there, enemies of mine. Let's do this, once more-- wait, what? It's over already?"

Never played Halo 3, don't have the system for it :smallannoyed:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-06-11, 05:00 PM
I thought it was odd that I was busy going and around destroying aliens, and then zombies popped up. In a sci fi setting.

Just one more dissappointment with the Halo games.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-11, 05:00 PM
"Hey, Matt, could you hurry up with the objectives over there? I think we have a problem."

A friend and I played Halo on Co-op for the first time he played it (Because I was at his house). I ended up being the distraction while he did most of the other stuff.

Especially funny in the archive section of the first game where the flood keep coming, and I was on the bottom floor running in a tight circle, ammo depleted, from a horde of the things which hadn't worked out how to cut corners when I was running in circles.

Meanwhile, he was upstairs trying to do the mission.

xelliea
2010-06-11, 05:01 PM
I must say my thoughts were:

Halo 1: I wish less levels had the flood. :smalleek:
Halo 2: I wish even less levels had the flood and why can they drive!! :smalleek:
Halo 3: Let's do this! :smallamused:
Halo Wars: Does this even count. :smallconfused:

"Wheee, more Alien/Tyranid/Zerg ripoffs. Killemdead."

How are the flood ripoffs of them? :smallconfused:

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-11, 06:01 PM
How are the flood ripoffs of them? :smallconfused:

Agreed. The Zerg/Aliens/'nids had far more charcter then the flood.

I wasn't very impressed, as you may have guessed; I thought Covenant Elites looked cool, though.

Magical Trevor
2010-06-14, 02:33 AM
Oh god oh god oh god oh god! GET AWAY FROM MEEEEEE!
And then naturally one of the jumpers kills me from behind...

KBF
2010-06-14, 03:14 AM
I thought it was odd that I was busy going and around destroying aliens, and then zombies popped up. In a sci fi setting.

Just one more dissappointment with the Halo games.

Wow wow wow wait wait wait wait wait. Something interesting and unexpected to the genre shows up and you honestly say.. "Aww man, I was looking for something more.. Generic." There are decent reasons to bash Halo, but this is not one.

Anyway, I only ever played Halo 1's multiplayer so I've never really seen the flood. The link doesn't help all that much.

Revlid
2010-06-14, 03:21 AM
"Oh, it's the Many. Only they're not quite as scary, and I'm a Spess Muhreen."

Drascin
2010-06-14, 03:35 AM
IIRC, the first flood you see are the small green bugs that swarm you. So my reaction was more or less "oh, helium-filled green headcrabs", thought in the most nonchalant mind voice possible. I hear the Flood gets creepy in the second and third games, but I only played the first one, and they really just looked like little harmless bugs. And when you fail to scare me, fraidy and easily scared little Drascin, you know you really need to step it up :smalltongue:.

Lycan 01
2010-06-14, 03:44 AM
*doors explode and Flood literally come flooding in*

What the?! W-what are these things?! They're everyone! Aaaah! AH AH AH!! GET BACK!! GET BACK YOU FREAKY THINGS!! AAAAAH!! Okay, I think- WHAT HIT ME!? WHAT- WHU!? ZOMBIES?!?!! AAAAAAAAH!! GET BACK!! SHOTGUN!! SHOTGUNNNNN!!!!!"

Poison_Fish
2010-06-14, 04:28 AM
"Oh, it's the Many. Only they're not quite as scary, and I'm a Spess Muhreen."

Pretty much this.

I mean, I honestly thought my first encounter with a compiler and having to deal with Pfhor was scarier then the flood.

Granted, I only played through the first two on a friends system.

SparkMandriller
2010-06-14, 04:34 AM
I can't even remember what I thought. Can't have been too impressed, I guess.

Wow wow wow wait wait wait wait wait. Something interesting and unexpected to the genre

silence the discord

Demented
2010-06-14, 06:40 AM
I believe it may have been spoiled for me by a strategy guide, but not enough so. Such that, knowing they were called the flood, and then witnessing them, I was not impressed by their floodness. I think the Xbox community would have forgiven them for making the little hoppers out of sprites, if it meant spamming five times as many of them. (Or maybe Bungie would be hated forever for being so sadistic.)

The first level of Marathon was freaking cruel. All dark and poorly lit on a dead ship with aliens that come at you from both sides of a hardly defensible corridor... I also seem to remember the Total Carnage difficulty as being virtually impossible. Maybe that was the demo. (Purple fighters that take too many bullets, in a space where you have the room neither to evade nor kill them in time.)

Ilena
2010-06-14, 08:48 AM
Halo 1 - flood first meeting, oh cool something new to kill, flood 5th meeting ..... booooooooooooooooooooooooooooring ... i hope this is the only halo with them ....

Halo 2 - ... awwww flood again????

Halo 3 - .... serious? WHY?

ODST - YAY NO FLOOD! (unless i remember wrong)

xp194
2010-06-14, 10:44 AM
Nope, no flood in ODST.

I have/used to have an irrational fear of Zombies but Halo 3 pretty much cured that. The Flood are really easy in it, for the most part, because they leap at you and then you punch them out of the air for much lulz.

Although the Pure Ranged/Tank forms? Very nasty.

Ilena
2010-06-14, 10:49 AM
Ya, flood annoyed me more then anything else in the entire game. Covies, I LOVE fighting covies, but flood? So ... boring and annoying and ... ya did not like them past halo 1.

Poison_Fish
2010-06-14, 12:29 PM
I believe it may have been spoiled for me by a strategy guide, but not enough so. Such that, knowing they were called the flood, and then witnessing them, I was not impressed by their floodness. I think the Xbox community would have forgiven them for making the little hoppers out of sprites, if it meant spamming five times as many of them. (Or maybe Bungie would be hated forever for being so sadistic.)

The first level of Marathon was freaking cruel. All dark and poorly lit on a dead ship with aliens that come at you from both sides of a hardly defensible corridor... I also seem to remember the Total Carnage difficulty as being virtually impossible. Maybe that was the demo. (Purple fighters that take too many bullets, in a space where you have the room neither to evade nor kill them in time.)

True vidmasters use only their fists for total carnage :p.

Eloi
2010-06-14, 12:37 PM
I thought I liked Metroids better, turned off the Xbox/Xbox 360 put Halo 1-3 back in their case(s), plugging in cords for the Wii, and played Prime 1-3 (or my SNES for Super Metroid, or my NES for Metroid). Halo is okay, its multiplayer is pretty good, but if I'm alone and want to shoot some parasitic aliens, I'll be playing Metroid.

chiasaur11
2010-06-14, 01:34 PM
True vidmasters use only their fists.

Might as well extend the principle.

Not that I'd know. Honorary vidmaster only. I go for, as Thor so aptly remarked once, the cheap seats in Valhalla.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-14, 01:40 PM
"Oh hey, something to use this shotgun on"

Athaniar
2010-06-14, 01:58 PM
Probably something like "This is a zombie game now?"

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-14, 02:06 PM
"Okay, so, elites are big, tough enemies with powerful enemy shields and plenty of firepower, but halfway through the game, we stop fighting them. They're replaced by enemies with no shields who can be instakilled by melee OR headshotted. "

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-14, 02:21 PM
The only thing the Flood really did was make me start shooting corpses. I was entirely unimpressed with them otherwise.

In Halo 3, however, the ranged flood were just irritating. I didn't think they added anything to the game except a nuisance, and I was quite irate about that. I normally just ran through them as fast as possible: I actually sped through Cortana on Legendary in that manner, because trying to beat it normally was just aggravating.

Triaxx
2010-06-14, 02:43 PM
My thought? Lock and load. Then wonder why my sniper rifle wasn't doing anything. Then drop it for an assault rifle.

TheEmerged
2010-06-14, 03:36 PM
Well, this is probably an admission of my age but...

I started hearing the old Scrubbing Bubbles jingle for a certain bathroom cleaning prodcut.

Zocelot
2010-06-14, 05:15 PM
I was mostly unimpressed that all the enemies from that point own showed little tactical discipline and the rest of the game was me mowing down hordes.

warty goblin
2010-06-14, 10:54 PM
"Okay, so, elites are big, tough enemies with powerful enemy shields and plenty of firepower, but halfway through the game, we stop fighting them. They're replaced by enemies with no shields who can be instakilled by melee OR headshotted. "

Was this the same Halo that I played? Because I distinctly remember Flood combat forms being fairly resistant to melee attacks.

I actually rather liked the introduction of the Flood. 343 Guilty Spark might be an annoyingly laid out level, but the excellent sound design and much slower pace made it genuinely creepy. Not STALKER I'll never sleep again creepy, but certainly much less feel-good than the levels to date.

As actual enemies go they are perhaps a bit less interesting than the Covenant, but after only two levels of only Flood you get to the really quite interesting three way battles between Master Chief, the Covenant and the Flood, which are probably the most tactically interesting part of the game.

Lord Loss
2010-06-15, 05:57 AM
Woot! Zombehs! Now I just need mah chainsaw!!!

Thanatos 51-50
2010-06-15, 06:07 AM
"Huh, so that's what the Flood look like."

king.com
2010-06-15, 07:01 AM
"Let me guess they attach to the face and make zombies?"

Looks to my left

"yep"

EDIT: yes yes i know, brainstem but whatever.

ninjalemur
2010-06-15, 01:20 PM
I wish I had a crowbar.

Eloi
2010-06-15, 01:23 PM
I wish I had a crowbar.

I wish I had a portal gun and a snarky AI...

chiasaur11
2010-06-15, 01:33 PM
I wish I had a portal gun and a snarky AI...

One out of three ain't bad.

Terry576
2010-06-15, 04:09 PM
"Oh look, it's the Headcrabs from Half-Life. *shotguns*"

And then me and my friend spent the next half hour Roleplaying with me as a psychiatrist and him as one of the Flood.

"Now now, it's not your fault that you look like a Headcrab..." :smalltongue: