PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ridiculous fighter feats!

Pikazul
2010-06-11, 04:48 PM
The title of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155758) inspired me to think about how could a fighter posses true "spell-like-but-still-(Ex)-feats", so here they are. They are not meant to be taken seriously, but I would still like to know what the playground thinks about them :smallredface:

ADAPTATIVE STYLE [GENERAL]
"How do you want to be killed today?"
Prerequisite: Fighter 2
Benefit: After resting for at least 8 hour you can change every bonus fighter feat you have minus this one. You stil need to meet the prerequisite of every feat you have.

IMPROVED POWER ATTACK [GENERAL, METAFIGHTING]
You power attack, with gusto.
Prerequisite: POWER ATTACK, BAB +4, Fighter level 2
Benefit::You can power attack even better, instead of gaining the normal benefits from the power attack feat you can add 1d6 to your damage rolls for every -1 you subtract from your attack roll.
Special: Instead of 1d6 use 1d8 or 1d4 for a Two-handed weapon and a light weapon respectively. The total number you subtract from your attack bonus with this and other feats can't be higher than your base attack bonus.

EMPOWER STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"If I can't beat you with my strength I just need to hit you harder"
Benefit: When you use this feat you apply a -2 penalty to your attack rolls but every variabile random damage is increased by 50% . Only mundane form of damage are empowered, not damage whose origin is magical like that of a flaming weapon.
Special: The total number you subtract from your attack bonus with this and other feats can't be higher than your base attack bonus. This feat can only be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

ENLARGE ENLONG STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"They say I'm Fantastic"
Benefit: When you use this feat you apply a -1 penalty to your attack rolls but your threatened area is doubled as if you had reach. If you already have reach your normal threatened area is triplicated.
Special: The total number you subtract from your attack bonus with this and other feats can't be higher than your base attack bonus. This feat can only be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

EXTEND STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Not enough? Here comes the second round!"
Benefit: You can choose to use this feat for a single attack or for a complete round.
If you use it for a single attack, apply a -1 penalty to your attack roll. The subsequent attack get all the benefits of every other [METAFIGHTING] feat ( minus EXTEND STRIKE itself) you used in the precedent attack without having to apply the penalty. The cost of this benefits still count towards the maximum number you can subtract from any single attack roll.
If you choose to use this feat for a complete round apply the penalty to every attack roll in the first round and apply the benfit for every attack of the subsequent round.
You can't use EXTEND STRIKE to re-apply benefits granted by the use of this feat.

HEIGHTEN STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Where is my caddy when I need him?"
Benefit: When you use this feat you can subtract an arbitrary number from your attack roll bonus, in return your attack ignore damage reduction and hardness up to five times this number.

MAXIMIZE STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Stop this!"
Benefit: When you use this feat you apply a -3 penalty to your attack rolls and maximize the damage that this attack deal. Only mundane form of damage are maximized, not damage whose origin is magical like that of a flaming weapon.

QUICKEN STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Don't stop me noooow!"
Benefit: When you use this feat you apply a -4 penalty to your attack roll, this attack consume a lower amount of time. Full round actions become standards. Standard actions become move and move actions become swift. You can make a standard attack with a move action and continue into a full round attack expending your swift action as normal. You can apply this feat only to attacks and actions that include an attack roll with a weapon.

STILL STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Look ma', no hands!"
Benefit: When you use this feat, at the cost of a -1 penalty to your attack rolls you can attack even when you are grappling, immobile, or paralyzed.

WIDEN STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"STRIKE!"
Benefit: When you use this feat you apply a -3 penalty to your attack roll, but you hit every creature in a 2x2 area. At least one of the four square must be inside your threatened area. Roll the attack once, compare against every AC, roll damage separately.

PERSIST STRIKE [METAFIGHTING]
"Come on, I think I got the hang of it"
Prerequisite: EXTEND STRIKE
Benefit: When you use this feat apply a -6 penalty to your attack rolls for a complete round. From the subsequent round and until the end of the encounter you apply all the benefits of any other [METAFIGHTING] feat you used while using PERSISTENT STRIKE (minus PERSISTENT STRIKE itself) without having to pay the penalty. This cost of this benefits still count towards the maximum number you can subtract from your attack rolls.
A new use of this feat overides the precedent.

CRUSHING BLOW [GENERAL]
"Who said you can't sunder an armor?"
Prerequisite: Bab + 8, Fighter level 4.
Benefit: When you attack and miss but still hit the Touch AC of your target you can still deal damage. Roll your damage normally and subtract 3 times the difference between his normal AC and his touch AC, that is the damage you deal. Damage dealt in this way is non-lethal and always of bludgeoning type.
Special: If you have the feat improved sunder every time you deal damage with this technique his armor bonus and/or his natural armor bonus decrease by 2 (minimun 0). You need a magic weapon to reduce armor bonus whose origin is magical.
A manifactured armor whose armor bonus is reduced to 0 became nonfunctional and must be repaired, all other bonus are restored after 8 hours.

ARCANE FIGHTER [FIGHTER]
"My father was a warlock"
Prerequisite: Fighter 2
Benefit: Choose a spell whose level is equal or lower of half your fighter level that also has no XP cost or costly material component. Now you can cast that spell as a spell-like ability at will. Caster level is equal to your BAB and the DCs are Constitution based.
Special: This feat can only be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 04:54 PM
Excellent work here! That's just what I meant when I said fighters just needed better feats!

Still strike is a godsend, and quicken, enlong and widen would all be pretty usefull as well. Adaptative style seems like an auto-pick for any fighter. Even if it's a joke I feel damn tempted to allow them.

Empower and maximize kinda useless since most of your damage is fixed. When you're rolling 1d12+100, the 1d12 doesn't matter that much.:smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-11, 04:58 PM
Wow, these almost make the fighter actually fun, :roy: would be proud!

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:00 PM
Hmm... these might be a little... over the top?

The "higher numbers" problem is in full force here (with obvious exceptions). If you can already do 1000 points of dawizard, then being able to do 1000 quadrillion dawizard is not going to help you.

You at least have some protection against being immobilised, which is nice (although something more like IHS would have been better).

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 05:03 PM
The "higher numbers" problem is in full force here (with obvious exceptions). If you can already do 1000 points of dawizard, then being able to do 1000 quadrillion dawizard is not going to help you.

Please notice still strike, that allows you to attack even paralyzed.

Or quicken strike that allows you to move and fullattack.

Widen strike would allow you to hit invisible oponents.

Adaptative style means you can cherry pick the feats you need with some rest, with is pretty damn usefull and fun.

although something more like IHS would have been better).

IHS doesn't help you at all if you're paralyzed.:smallamused:

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:05 PM
Please notice still strike, that allows you to attack even paralyzed.

Or quicken strike that allows you to move and fullattack.

Widen strike would allow you to hit invisible oponents.

Adaptative style means you can cherry pick the feats you need with some rest, with is pretty damn usefull and fun.

Please refer to edited post.

And it's still a special case of the 'higher numbers' problem - you're not getting anything extra to do, you're just getting new ways to do the one and only thing you can do.

And the ability to do something else one day.

IHS doesn't help you at all if you're paralyzed.

Then give him an improved version that can be used while paralysed and ends the (properly defined) effect as a free action.

And also utterly, permanently, irrevocably, and eternally destroys the effect's source, so we can still have the rules debates.

Does that wipe out the wizard, or does it destroy the spell?

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 05:10 PM
Please refer to edited post.

And it's still a special case of the 'higher numbers' problem - you're not getting anything extra to do, you're just getting new ways to do the one and only thing you can do.

And the ability to do something else one day.

Cough arcane fighter wich can be changed every day for other SLA cough.

Then give him an uber-IHS that can be used while paralysed and ends the effect and its source instantly as a free action.

Pick arcane fighter. Choose freedom of movement(and later mindblank). Profit.:smallbiggrin:

And also utterly, permanently, irrevocably, and eternally destroys the effect's source, so we can still have the rules debates.

Does that wipe out the wizard, or does it destroy the spell?

Either auto-slaying the puny wizard or removing a spell from existence so that no other wizard can use it? It's a win-win scenario!:smalltongue:

lightningcat
2010-06-11, 05:10 PM
IMPROVED POWER ATTACK [GENERAL, METAFIGHTING]
You power attack, with gusto.
Prerequisite: POWER ATTACK, BAB +4, Fighter level 2
Benefit::You can power attack even better, instead of gaining the normal benefits from the power attack feat you can add 1d6 to your damage rolls for every -1 you subtract from your attack roll.
Special: Instead of 1d6 use 1d8 or 1d4 for a Two-handed weapon and a light weapon respectively. The total number you subtract from your attack bonus with this and other feats can't be higher than your base attack bonus.

The rest of the feats seem a bit humourous, but this one I really, REALLY like.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:11 PM
Cough arcane strike wich can be changed every day for other SLA cough.

Pick arcane strike. Choose freedom of movement(and later mindblank). Profit.:smallbiggrin:

Wizard: Hai, I can has ur buffs pls (Reaving Dispel)? Btw, I'm in ur mind, paralysing ur body (Quickened Hold Person). Kthx bye :)

That's why you need something genuine.

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 05:19 PM
Wizard: I can has ur buffs? Cool, kthx (Reaving Dispel). Oh, and btw, Quickened Hold Monster

To be honest in that situation even codzilla is s****** his own pants.

Plus since it's an at-will SLA you can have like dozens of them stacked on you. He'll roll a 1 on the dispel check eventualy and you'll keep some of the buffs.

And hey, it's a noncore spell, and bigger than 6th level if I'm not mistaken! That's pretty damn good already!:smallbiggrin:

That's why you need something genuine.

This is Tippy's wizards we're talking about now. Even if you were fully immune to magic and debuffs he could drop a burning city in your head.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:23 PM
To be honest in that situation even codzilla is s****** his own pants.

Is this the anitmagic field initiate of mystra codzilla, or the one with a 50/50 of winning the dispel checks?

Plus since it's an at-will SLA you can have like dozens of them stacked on you. He'll roll a 1 on the dispel check eventualy and you'll keep some of the buffs.

There's no Persistent SLA feat.

You can, however, buff everyone else through the eye sockets.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-11, 05:25 PM
Hmm... these might be a little... over the top?

You at least have some protection against being immobilised, which is nice (although something more like IHS would have been better).

The point is that they are over the top.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:26 PM
The point is that they are over the top.

You don't say...

anitmagic field

Hey, we just invented a new cleric spell!

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 05:31 PM
Is this the anitmagic field initiate of mystra codzilla, or the one with a 50/50 of winning the dispel checks?

Doesn't really matter, they both die to the red wizard of tay gating epic dragons that eat solars for breakfast, or the incantrix who can steal your buffs and quicken mage's disjuctions.

There's no Persistent SLA feat.

Freedom of movement lasts 10 min/level. CL for the fighter is his Bab. At level 20 that's 200 min. More than three hours. Just stop every three hours for 10 min, spam FoM in yourself 60 times, then continue in your quest.

Unless the wizard has dispell buffers, the chance of taking down each of them is just 50%. Even with dispell buffers, he will fail some of them.

You can, however, buff everyone else through the eye sockets.
Dunno about you, but a character who over 20 levels gets 10 SLAs(two of them up to 9th level) and can change them everyday seems more than a worthy character to me. Summon monster anyone? :smallbiggrin:

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-11, 05:33 PM
It's not a perfect fix, and it certainly still doesn't get rid of the "two level fighter" completely, but it does give a certain incentive to take more levels of fighter. However, quicken strike seems a little too good to be true to me. With it, you could move to your opponent, make a full attack, then initiate a strike maneuver all for a measly -4 penalty. The other feats are also a bit strong, but I guess this is why you called the thread "ridiculous fighter feats" and not "fighter fix"

Cahokia
2010-06-11, 05:34 PM
For "ridiculous" fighter feats, I have to say, these are very impressive. They could use a little bit of tweaking down, but they really would raise the Fighter a tier or two, which is a Good Thing. I personally wouldn't allow Adaptive Style in a campaign I was running, but only because I prefer having magic be rare, alternative sources of healing, and a lot of differentiation between fighter-types. It seems balanced to me--way powerful for a fighter, but if the point is to improve the fighter, that's what we're looking for.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 05:34 PM
Dunno about you, but a character who over 20 levels gets 10 SLAs(two of them up to 9th level) and can change them everyday seems more than a worthy character to me. Summon monster anyone? :smallbiggrin:

Well, that's the other issue with Arcane Fighter. Which ten 9th level or epic spell-like abilities would you like today (OK, your DM would hit you with the Great Nerfhammer of Being a Bat if you went for epic SLAs, but still.)?

You can rape the game pretty hard with At-Will disjunction, and you can easily break out the Prismatic Sphere Wall of Stone trick as well. Or just turn into a dragon.

Fixing the fighter by breaking him to all nine hells and back works in some games, I guess.

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 05:42 PM
Well, that's the other issue with Arcane Fighter. Which ten 9th level or epic spell-like abilities would you like today?

Ouch, that's a really nasty combo. Can't believe I missed it.:smalleek:

You can rape the game pretty hard with At-Will disjunction, and you can easily break out the Prismatic Sphere Wall of Stone trick as well.

Fixing the fighter by breaking him to all nine hells and back is rather 'innovative', to say the least.

Well, it depends on the campaign. If you're playing with Cheater Codzilla and Incantrix McVeil then I doubt it would be much of a trouble.

But point is, those feats do provide innovative powerfull and fun options to the fighter, and with some tweaking could become something really good. Like stating that arcane fighter can't give you more than one SLA of each level.

Eldan
2010-06-11, 05:47 PM
Excellent work here! That's just what I meant when I said fighters just needed better feats!

Still strike is a godsend, and quicken, enlong and widen would all be pretty usefull as well. Adaptative style seems like an auto-pick for any fighter. Even if it's a joke I feel damn tempted to allow them.

Empower and maximize kinda useless since most of your damage is fixed. When you're rolling 1d12+100, the 1d12 doesn't matter that much.:smalltongue:

Actually, in combination with improved power attack...
-15 to attack, +15d8 damage... maximizes to 120.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 06:25 PM
Ouch, that's a really nasty combo. Can't believe I missed it.:smalleek:

Well, it depends on the campaign. If you're playing with Cheater Codzilla and Incantrix McVeil then I doubt it would be much of a trouble.

But point is, those feats do provide innovative powerfull and fun options to the fighter, and with some tweaking could become something really good. Like stating that arcane fighter can't give you more than one SLA of each level.

A dispelling fighter could be surprisingly OK -- Reaving Dispel, after all.

Fabricate at will is also a little dangerous. Oh, and let's not even go into Major Creation: Anti-Iridium.

Oslecamo
2010-06-11, 06:38 PM
Fabricate at will is also a little dangerous. Oh, and let's not even go into Major Creation: Anti-Iridium.

Doesn't work at all. Assuming that anti-matter exists at all in D&D (since there's no evidence of subatomic particles but there's the whole four elements thingy) anti-matter doesn't fall on any of the material categories that major creation can produce. Anti-iridium isn't in any periodic table after all.

lesser_minion
2010-06-11, 06:44 PM
Doesn't work at all. Assuming that anti-matter exists at all in D&D (since there's no evidence of subatomic particles but there's the whole four elements thingy) anti-matter doesn't fall on any of the material categories that major creation can produce. Anti-iridium isn't in any periodic table after all.

Major Creation: Plutonium.
Major Creation: Deuterium
Major Creation: Tritium
???
Profit.

Corporate M
2010-06-11, 06:49 PM
These are awesome, and I'd like to contibute. :)

Good feats for those typical adventures of being in prison and disarmed or on the poorer side.

PEASENT HERO
Prequisite: Charisma 13
Effect: You gain +4 on diplomacy checks for those deemed poor by the DM, and if you see someone poor attacked, gain +4 on all attack rolls against the attacker for the next 24 hours.

UNCOMMONER:
Prequisite: Peasent Hero, Charisma 13
Effect: You do not need to make confirmation checks to activate multiplyer damage when you roll a crit with a simple weapon.

COMMONER COLD:
Prequisite: Peasent Hero, Charisma 13
Effect: You gain a bonus to all attack/damage rolls with simple weapons equal to your charisma modifier and you may choose to make your total damage during an attack cold damage.

I'll probably work on some "poisonknight" feats later. But I'm in a bit of a hurry. I love me some biological weapons. Makes nukes look like girlscouts.

Corporate M
2010-06-11, 09:14 PM
Some bio-weapon feats... But first an explanation of poisonknight...

POISONKNIGHT:
Poison knight is a series of feats the fighter can take with his bonus feats that encompass an array of different toxins he delivers through his normal attacks. Mostly they exist to debuff rather then outright kill or maim. Rather then be subject to daily uses or "always". Poisonknight abilities instead have a venom pool. You gain 1 to your venom pool whenever you take a poisonknight feat, and gain an additional one venom whenever you roll a 20 on an attack roll, skillcheck, or saving throw. Activating a poisonknight ability costs 1 venom unless otherwise noted. Unlike spells per day, or powerpoints, or anything else... you don't gain venom back. You either have it, or you don't.

SULFER MUSTARD: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: Point Blank Shot or Weapon Focus with a ranged weapon
Effect: As part of your attack, you spread a toxic gas that acts as the spell obscuring mist, (Caster level equal to fighter level) and those who inhale the fumes must make a fortitude save DC 15. If they fail, they take 4d8 fire damage. (This can only be used on a ranged attack)

NITROGEN MUSTARD: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: Precise Shot or Farshot
Effect: As part of your attack, your target must make a fortitude save DC 16. If they fail, they become flat-footed and take -4 to all attack and damage rolls for one minute. (This can only be used on a ranged attack)

LEWISITE: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: Power Attack
Effect: When you would use power attack, for every -1 you give yourself in atk roll, it not only increases damage by +1, but requires your opponent to make a fortitude save DC 10+every 1 you gaveup in attack roll, or become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds. (This can only be used with a melee attack.)

PHOSGENE OXIME: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: Fighter level 2
Effect: Along with your attack, your opponent makes a reflex saving throw DC 10+fighter level, or takes an additional +2d4 acid damage. If the total damage exceeds the target's constitution score, (or hit die if doesn't have a con score) they fall prone and become paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. (This can only be used with a melee attack) This costs 2 venom points.

COBRA COMMANDO: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: One poisonknight feat
Effect: Whenever an ally rolls a 20 on attack rolls, saving throws, or skillchecks, you gain 1 venom point.

TAINTED LOVE: [poisonknight]
Prequisite: One poisonknight feat
Effect: Whenever an enemy misses on an attack roll against you, you gain 1 venom point.

Perhaps a little overpowered at lower levels. (A bit too frontloaded) Probably be better just to make some new poisons that are craftable for these effects, but this is definitelly a theme I've had in my head for some time. A combonation of tome and battle manueverings, with a fininite mana resource that can get new mana, but never recover old mana...

Anithexx
2010-06-11, 09:53 PM
Oh I got one

Over The Moon
You pull back as far as you can before swinging with all of your might. maybe that will teach him for suggesting you were compensating for something.
Prerequisite:Base attack +6, monkey grip, power attack, improved bull rush
Benefit:You may take a standard action to attack an opponent that you threaten, if your blow connects your opponent must make a reflex save vr dc = to the damage dealt if the opponent fails their reflex save they a sent flying 5 feet back +5 feet/ ever 5 they failed the saving throw. Creatures thrown 10 feet or more take damage as if they were falling.

Roderick_BR
2010-06-12, 12:14 AM
Hehe, I really enjoyed the METAFIGHT feats. Funny, but still something usable in an actual game.
In fact, they could be fighter only feats, requiring a minimum fighter level. Of course, he'll still be a dip less than 10 levels... oh well...

Edit:

???
Profit.

Player: Ok, so I cast Major Creation, and create this element.
DM: Ok, these things doesn't exist. You just wasted a high level spell into nothing. Next in the initiative order?

Oslecamo
2010-06-12, 06:10 AM
???
Profit.Get cancer.

Really, one thing is having radioactive materials, but actualy turning them into an atomic bomb demands a lot of specialized equipment, knowledge and conditions that's simply not available in D&D even with magic.

And considering the worth of an atomic bomb, by the craft rules you would need decades if not centuries to build a single one.

lesser_minion
2010-06-12, 06:25 AM
The main difficulty is actually getting bits of uranium or plutonium in a big enough lump that it goes prompt critical.

That gets kind of easy when you can create well over a critical mass out of nothing (and it was already far more than a critical mass when I still thought plutonium had a density of 16.9 kg.m-3). The revised procedure?

Fly over your opponent Major create a ball of plutonium Teleport out Regenerate

Major Creation also doesn't forbid you from creating things in an arbitrary phase, so you could stick to drowning your opponents in liquid iron as well.

Player: Ok, so I cast Major Creation, and create this element.
DM: Ok, these things doesn't exist. You just wasted a high level spell into nothing. Next in the initiative order?

You didn't need to remind me that the DM wouldn't allow it (although I prefer the mutually assured destruction -- anything you pull, I'm allowed to pull).

And the point is that you can cast it at-will, so you aren't wasting spells at all.

Also, while it's relatively easy to rule that those don't exist, ruling that sand, tree bark, urine, acid, water, copper, and iron don't exist is a lot harder.

Although there you just rule out the Fabricate directly -- it requires a fairly loose reading of the rules to allow fabricate to arbitrarily extract materials, even though the examples provided actually require that in order to work.[hr]

In any event, since Major Creation nukes are the least of the problems you can cause with a nice selection of at-will spell like abilities, it might be worth toning those down a little more.

On the flip side, I'd recommend allowing XP costs and expensive material components. You can fix the issue by requiring them (i.e. "while you may use a spell with expensive material components, an expensive focus, or an XP cost with this feat, you must provide such components at casting").

Pikazul
2010-06-12, 07:23 AM
First, thank you everyone for your comments, especially Corporate M for his contributions.
Second, I must admit that it's awesome how a topic on ridiculous fighter feats degenerated in a discussion on ridiculous wizard spells. Well, I suppose Arcane Fighter was a bit too much :smallredface:

As I said on the first post these are not meant to be a fighter fix, not even close! Fighters have much more deeper issues than a lack of sufficiently variegate feats. Just think of it as thought experiment, for example I was amused and sad at the same time when I realized that even something as simple as giving him the core spellcaster-only feats would make him much more fun to play.

As for the tier, I think a good use of these feats would make the fighter an overpowered tier 4. They give him the numbers to easily overcome level adequate challenges of a certain kind (the kind that can be overcome using pointy sticks) bust still leave this class useless in every other situation. A very optimized use of Arcane Fighter could raise him to a lower Tier 3...but seriously, if you like to play with spells, why would you play a Fighter? :smallbiggrin:

Also, it came to me that I have done a lot of Something Strike feats, but I forgot the most famous Strike of the game, so here it is:

TRUE STRIKE [GENERAL]
"Carpe diem"
Prerequisite: Fighter level 10, BAB +5
Benefit: Using this feat requires a standard action. You target a creature of which you know the location and do nothing else. The next attack you do against this creature (if it's made before the end of your next turn) ignore any kind of miss chance and gains a bonus to attack roll equal to half your Fighter level.

XiaoTie
2010-06-12, 08:00 AM
Whouw, those are some AWESOME fighter feats on the OP, and some of the others are pretty damn cool too :D

Melayl
2010-06-12, 10:52 PM
The OP feats are not necessarily ridiculous. A little tweaking would make some of them quite useful.

That said, I have to contribute -- I've been thinking about this one for a few days:

BURNING HEART [FIGHTER]
In the Warrior's Code there's no surrender. Though your body says Stop, your spirit cries NEVER!
Prereq: Fighter level 4, Will modifier +1
Benefit: As a free action once per day per Fighter level, you may choose to delay the effect of a failed Fortitude save or bodily effect (fatigue, exhaustion, unconsciousness, paralyzation, etc) for 1 minute per Will save modifier. At Fighter level 10, you may also choose to delay any status effect for 1 minute per Will save modifier. At Fighter level 15, you may also choose to delay death from any source for 1 minute per Will save modifier.

What say you all?

Corporate M
2010-06-12, 11:07 PM
Does "any death effect" apply to being at -10 HP?

Because Burning Heart+Diehard=epic lulz while fighting the big bad for the next ten minutes. XP

Then again, thats how awesome fights tend to go down in anime. The crusader has a simaler ability, but it's much more situational and only applies to HP. I love it, but people will probably complain it's too powerful. (Granted it atleast encourages sticking to the fighter class for awhile)

Melayl
2010-06-12, 11:09 PM
Does "any death effect" apply to being at -10 HP?

Because Burning Heart+Diehard=epic lulz while fighting the big bad for the next ten minutes. XP

It does indeed :smallbiggrin: I figure by 15th level, the fighter deserves something nice like that. And then, if your party's healbot equivalent can patch you up before the duration runs out...

Morph Bark
2010-06-13, 05:10 AM
Seeing this almost made me cry because this was exactly what I was working on earlier this week, though I hadn't finished it all entirely yet.

Well done, good sir.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2010-06-13, 05:34 PM
BURNING HEART [FIGHTER]
In the Warrior's Code there's no surrender. Though your body says Stop, your spirit cries NEVER!
Prereq: Fighter level 4, Will modifier +1
Benefit: As a free action once per day per Fighter level, you may choose to delay the effect of a failed Fortitude save or bodily effect (fatigue, exhaustion, unconsciousness, paralyzation, etc) for 1 minute per Will save modifier. At Fighter level 10, you may also choose to delay any status effect for 1 minute per Will save modifier. At Fighter level 15, you may also choose to delay death from any source for 1 minute per Will save modifier.

I would make the delay dependent on your Wisdom modifier rather than will save bonus. It would make it mesh better with the general feel of the rules and keep the duration of the effect to something a little more manageable, while still giving the fighter a rather awesome ability.

Melayl
2010-06-13, 07:47 PM
I would make the delay dependent on your Wisdom modifier rather than will save bonus. It would make it mesh better with the general feel of the rules and keep the duration of the effect to something a little more manageable, while still giving the fighter a rather awesome ability.

I'd thought about that, but not many fighters have all that great of a Wisdom modifier. And, even at 20th, a fighter's base Will save is +6, and I don't expect many would have more than a +10 at 20th. Delaying an effect for 10 minutes at 20th level isn't really all that long, IMO.

Also, thematically, I thought the Will save fit better. I'd still be open to discussion, though.

Glimbur
2010-06-13, 08:28 PM
I'd thought about that, but not many fighters have all that great of a Wisdom modifier. And, even at 20th, a fighter's base Will save is +6, and I don't expect many would have more than a +10 at 20th. Delaying an effect for 10 minutes at 20th level isn't really all that long, IMO.

Also, thematically, I thought the Will save fit better. I'd still be open to discussion, though.

Alternately, Bard6/Fighter4/Sublime Chord 10 takes this and laughs manically. Or the fighter takes Occult Slayer from Complete Warrior for the good will save. Or splashes knight. Or a swordsage takes fighter 4 for dungeoncrasher, this, and the BAB to get a fourth iterative attack. Or wears a cloak of resistance +5 and a periapt of wisdom +2, so assuming 10 base wis he's at 11 minutes with little work.

With lots of fighter levels, you're doing the Knight capstone but much better. Not that the knight is necessarily a good balance point, but their capstone is generally regarded as cool, thematic, and about right in power level.

Salbazier
2010-06-13, 09:41 PM
Haha, I like this :smallbiggrin:. Quicken strike and widen strike is especially my favorite. Now I can have kazekiri...

Arcane fighter are damn awesome too!

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2010-06-14, 12:05 PM
In all honesty, after a minute it all becomes moot for the most part. I've seen very few fights last more than 10 rounds, and very few fights go for more than 2 minutes. It's like a frenzied berserker's frenzy, but with the safety on--which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.

All in all, I like it. I'd drop the duration to rounds per Wisdom modifier; all your cleric needs is one or two rounds to have you back in fighting trim--plus at 20th level a periapt of wisdom is small change.

Of course if you were wanting to go for a more over-the-top dramatic effect then I could definitely see a fighter slugging it out long after he should have fallen, a ring of fallen soldiers piled high around him.

Melayl
2010-06-14, 02:42 PM
In all honesty, after a minute it all becomes moot for the most part. I've seen very few fights last more than 10 rounds, and very few fights go for more than 2 minutes. It's like a frenzied berserker's frenzy, but with the safety on--which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.

All in all, I like it. I'd drop the duration to rounds per Wisdom modifier; all your cleric needs is one or two rounds to have you back in fighting trim--plus at 20th level a periapt of wisdom is small change.

Of course if you were wanting to go for a more over-the-top dramatic effect then I could definitely see a fighter slugging it out long after he should have fallen, a ring of fallen soldiers piled high around him.

I did, in fact, intend that a fighter be able to fight long after he should be down/dead (at least, for higher-level fighters). I also thought it to be useful for out-of-combat situations (resisting death from drowning, carrying an unconscious party member to safety when you should be down/dead yourself, etc).

Alternately, Bard6/Fighter4/Sublime Chord 10 takes this and laughs manically. Or the fighter takes Occult Slayer from Complete Warrior for the good will save. Or splashes knight. Or a swordsage takes fighter 4 for dungeoncrasher, this, and the BAB to get a fourth iterative attack. Or wears a cloak of resistance +5 and a periapt of wisdom +2, so assuming 10 base wis he's at 11 minutes with little work.

With lots of fighter levels, you're doing the Knight capstone but much better. Not that the knight is necessarily a good balance point, but their capstone is generally regarded as cool, thematic, and about right in power level.

You're right. Such combinations can get a much higher Will save. However, the number of times they can use the feat, as well as the types of conditions they can delay, are reduced dramatically. Both are related directly to fighter level only. You'd be trading flexibility for longevity.

I'm still not seeing the issue the two of you do with using Will for duration, but I guess if more feel the same as you then I'll end up changing it.

I do think that the conditions need to be stated more clearly by level, though. I'll have to look at that. If anybody has suggestions, I'm listening.

jiriku
2010-06-14, 03:39 PM
TRUE STRIKE [GENERAL]
"Carpe diem"
Prerequisite: Fighter level 10, BAB +5
Benefit: Using this feat requires a standard action. You target a creature of which you know the location and do nothing else. The next attack you do against this creature (if it's made before the end of your next turn) ignore any kind of miss chance and gains a bonus to attack roll equal to half your Fighter level.

How sad that a level 10 fighter feat still isn't as effective as a level 1 wizard spell.