PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the game

Umael
2010-06-11, 05:54 PM
Anyone got any moments they wanted to share where they "broke" the game, even for a bit?

Doesn't have to be a build like Pun-Pun. My players "broke" the game just about every time I tried to start each session of my d20 Rokugan game.

Aeromyre
2010-06-11, 05:56 PM
Define breaking the game? do you mean breaking a rule that doesn't fit as a player? as a dm? breaking a minature?
please clarify

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-11, 05:59 PM
Sure. Once I made a gish build (very basic one too) that walked all over the game. It got so bad that I was able to one shot the BBEG. Just walked right past all the body guards. Was untouched by the AOOs and Thwapped the BBEG.

Needless to say I felt like a jerk so I asked if we could redo it, and I'd swap out for a cleric instead. We did, but the group was pissed (at my getting to switch and wrecking the BBEG)

PId6
2010-06-11, 05:59 PM
I'd say this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8455885&postcount=53) counts. ECL 14 party (of three) killing a Pit Fiend in one hit. Yay Polymorph!

Umael
2010-06-11, 06:10 PM
Well, in my case, breaking the game meant my players managed to get me to laugh and/or be so self-conscious for a bit that I couldn't continue.

For some people, breaking the game means "Yay, I actually got 1d2 crusader past the DM..."

Half-orc Bard
2010-06-11, 07:37 PM
It was a solo adventure where the dm wanted me to kill some guy, but instead I just ran away, so he made a wall of the 5th element (no not boron), but plot yes plot an element that is indestructable and one can't teleport past. After that the adventure fell apart.

Aeromyre
2010-06-11, 07:58 PM
Well, in my case, breaking the game meant my players managed to get me to laugh and/or be so self-conscious for a bit that I couldn't continue.

For some people, breaking the game means "Yay, I actually got 1d2 crusader past the DM..."

Oh yeah that happens all the time!
Also no i am the DM and I allow optimization to an extent but i want all my characters on the same playing field
and if the characters get to powerful, well then the CR of all monsters will rise.
If one of my characters dies resurrection costs Milftons of money or sacrifice of a magic item

Amphetryon
2010-06-11, 08:25 PM
Rogue 2/Cleric 5/Temple Raider of Olidamara 3/Pious Templar...

Not an uber-build by board standards; over the median power level of the group by enough that I was asked to retire him after making the other party members redundant in a couple fights.

Stompy
2010-06-11, 08:35 PM
So our DM had a nature crystal artifact in a boss, that was spewing mutations like crazy. It turned me into a gnoll, and gave me the half-dragon template for free.

Later on, in a board game outing, I recounted the tale in front of the DM, and found it ironic that I turned into a gnoll despite it not being on the "playable races" section of the campaign. To which he decided to re-roll that gnoll result for that nature crystal.

He game me the half-dragon template, again. So he homebrewed his version of the dragonkin (3/4 dragon) and gave me that in total.

Now we fast forward to where I have a teleportation mishap into the BBEG's version of Silent Hill. I find a demonic library, and take some of the books off the self for curiosity. During the last battle in that place, my new companion the awakened chaos golem, went mad, launched an arsenal of nukes at the enemies in a time stop, which automatically opened some of the demonic books.

One of them gave me the dragonkin template, again. So he homebrewed a large size abyssal dragonkin+ (3/4+ dragon?) and gave me that in total.

I tried to dump strength as a draconic sorcerer but ended up with ~30 in it anyway. :smallsmile:

In the end I used a cocktail of buffs (divine power, bite of the weretiger, wraithstrike) and an artifact-level spoon to deal 588 damage in a round to his death god BBEG. That character is my current avatar.

Roderick_BR
2010-06-11, 11:35 PM
I have an evoker wizard. With a wand of fireball that dealt 5d6 damage. And I got my hands on a staff that had a teleport spell.
My DM didn't know how to deal with casters. He only played with fighters. And he was used to AD&D, where he just picked weapon specialization, and called it a day.

Yeah, my wizard, casting only fireballs and lightning bolts, broke the game in an adventure were we met NPCs like Elminster that "didn't want to get involved" in the main plot.

But my better scene was using fireballs, lightining bolt, faery fire, and shout (the spell), and a LOT of powder to intimidate a guy enough to reveal all the plans of his group.

Edit:

It was a solo adventure where the dm wanted me to kill some guy, but instead I just ran away, so he made a wall of the 5th element (no not boron), but plot yes plot an element that is indestructable and one can't teleport past. After that the adventure fell apart.
Ah... my old group told me tales of walls made of plotium...

TurtleKing
2010-06-12, 12:23 AM
Um lets see my game breaking adventures are were I am playing a DM home brewed race that are immortal, embodiment of failure, and gets kicked around a lot. The character at one point manages to acquire a Purple Wurm from the Abyss as a pet, and I am riding it into battle.:smallyuk: On the session that ended the campaign I along with one other player RPed our way into becoming deities by getting Pelor, Nerull, Vecna, Wee Jas, Yondalla, Darun Thaun, and Death to work together to save the human race.:smallcool: This is because I wrote such epic backstory for a sandbox world that became the focus of the campaign.:smallbiggrin: I have yet to achieve thew same level of awesomeness in either the backstory or the playing of the character. However I might be able to do it with my Multiple Personalities (5) Doppelganger Factotum.:smallwink:

Endarire
2010-06-12, 12:27 AM
As a Psion, I used Linked Power, synchronicity, metamorphosis, schism, energy missile, Power Link Shards (Magic of Eberron 115), and a Belt of Battle to effectively solo a fight meant to kill the party.

The DM ragequit because I did 108 damage with a fire missile (27d6+27) and overkilled 3 guys before I finished my second full-round action. My cohort still had White Raven Tactics ready.

Beorn080
2010-06-12, 12:38 AM
I managed to snag a wish for a "Belt of unlimited +1 throwing knives," in my first game of D&D. DM gave everyone a wish, and for the most part it was your standard stuff, cloak of invisibility, +3 weapons all around, that sort of thing. I actually got laughed at for that belt, but I didn't care. The fun part was that initially I just wanted to make sure I always had something to throw at people, being a halfling and all. However, every time a problem came up, that belt solved it, no matter what it was.

DM: You have to scale that wall over there.
Me: Oh, I use my knives to make a ladder in the rockwall.

DM: An army of about 200 goblins is preparing to attack the village of 50 people. They are poor and have no weapons.
Me: I give everyone a half dozen +1 knives, with orders to begin throwing in the army's general direction as soon as they see them.

DM: There is a pit in front of you.
Me: I fill it with knives.

I miss that belt.