PDA

View Full Version : Overrun questions...

Asheram
2010-06-11, 06:49 PM
Greetings. A little question I have here.

First of all, from Wizards of The Coasts, 3.5 archive. All about Grappling.

Improved Grab: The improved grab special attack allows a monster to make a grab attack as part of a regular melee attack with a particular natural weapon (usually a bite or claw). If the attack hits, the natural weapon deals damage normally, and the monster immediately makes an opposed check to establish a hold. The attack doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Since the attack already dealt damage when it hit, a successful hold deals no extra damage. Each successful grapple check the attacker makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. (This works just like making a grapple check to deal damage.)

The bolded text here gives me a bit of a headache...
Does this mean every grapple check to deal damage, or does it mean Every grapple check, as if to pin an opponent, opposed checks, basicly everything that makes a grapple check?

Edit: Just renamed the thread for another question.

AslanCross
2010-06-11, 07:06 PM
Next round, the creature can perform multiple grapple checks (based on BAB) to automatically deal damage with the attack used to grab the victim. This refers to grapple checks used to deal damage.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30882) is very helpful.

Asheram
2010-06-12, 04:48 AM
Next round, the creature can perform multiple grapple checks (based on BAB) to automatically deal damage with the attack used to grab the victim. This refers to grapple checks used to deal damage.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30882) is very helpful.

Praise be the wendersnaven! Thank you so much. :)

Asheram
2010-06-13, 11:05 AM
Right. My next question is on special attacks. Overrun.

Now, it says that the opponent can chose to "avoid". Now, what is avoid in this case? Can he move and how far?

NEO|Phyte
2010-06-13, 11:18 AM

Now, it says that the opponent can chose to "avoid". Now, what is avoid in this case? Can he move and how far?

If he avoids you, he doesn’t suffer any ill effect and you may keep moving (You can always move through a square occupied by someone who lets you by.) The overrun attempt doesn’t count against your actions this round (except for any movement required to enter the opponent’s square).
If he avoids you, he stays put, and you're allowed to move through his square.

UserClone
2010-06-13, 11:19 AM

It's my understanding that you don't move anywhere; you merely step aside and let the creature through your space.

Asheram
2010-06-13, 11:20 AM
If he avoids you, he stays put, and you're allowed to move through his square.

Just feels odd when there's a 10ft dire bear charges towards you with intent to overrun and you manage to avoid him just by swaying your hips and thinking happy thoughts. :P
So there's no more rules on this to be found somewhere?

Hague
2010-06-13, 11:25 AM
Well, you could add some sort of rule but if you were to move, you'd provoke an AoO from the bear or any nearby enemies. You can presume that the character ducks, rolls, sidesteps, jumps or any other shuckin' and jivin' that might keep you from getting run over.

Now a question from me: Is an overrun considered a charge attack? If I set a spear against charges will I get the extra damage if an enemy overruns or tramples?

Asheram
2010-06-13, 11:26 AM
Well, you could add some sort of rule but if you were to move, you'd provoke an AoO from the bear or any nearby enemies. You can presume that the character ducks, rolls, sidesteps, jumps or any other shuckin' and jivin' that might keep you from getting run over.

Now a question from me: Is an overrun considered a charge attack? If I set a spear against charges will I get the extra damage if an enemy overruns or tramples?

I'd say no there. An overrun can be made as part of a charge, but you can do an overrun with an ordinary move action as well.

or... Aaah... It's a DM call, I'd say...

Human Paragon 3
2010-06-13, 11:30 AM
Why would a Dire Bear want to overrun you? Why wouldn't he just charge instead?

If you want to have a Dire Bear that overruns, though, you could give him the Improved Overrun feat. That eliminates the option to avoid.

Asheram
2010-06-13, 11:33 AM
Why would a Dire Bear want to overrun you? Why wouldn't he just charge instead?

If you want to have a Dire Bear that overruns, though, you could give him the Improved Overrun feat. That eliminates the option to avoid.

Just as a thought experiment. I'm using Dire Bear because it's big and covers the whole square that the avoiding person would stand in.

Sliver
2010-06-13, 12:53 PM
Just as a thought experiment. I'm using Dire Bear because it's big and covers the whole square that the avoiding person would stand in.

If we go by actual squares on the grid, a 10ft wide bear can't charge/overrun anyone at the center.

{table]B|B
B|B
|C[/table]

See? (B bear C character) You have to have at least 15ft width for there to be no way out.

It's really up to the DM and player to decide. If the character has no skill (tumble, jump or escape artist) then it's reasonable to not let him avoid the overrun.

true_shinken
2010-06-13, 01:55 PM
See? (B bear C character) You have to have at least 15ft width for there to be no way out.

And even then there really is 'no way out' only in case of a gelatinous cube or stuff like that. Giants, bears, dragons and the like - they all stand on legs and don't fill all the space they occupy. You could duck between the bear's legs to avoid him - if he's doing an overrun, you are not his primary target anyway, that's why it's wasy to avoid.

Sliver
2010-06-13, 02:22 PM
There isn't that much space down there. It just isn't as trivial as stepping aside. That's why I'm saying you need some appropriate skill to do it (escape artist for down between the legs. Jump or tumble for around... That stuff)