PDA

View Full Version : Sha'ir

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-11, 07:46 PM
Ok, somebody tell me this class isn's as broken as it reads. It is on page 52 of the dragon compendium and it looks like the most broken class I have ever seen.

First off they don't have a cap on spells per day. They just have to send out thier gen familer to fetch it, a procces that can take rounds to hours, and takes a deplomacy check to work. The higher the spell level the harder the check.

Now, break one. The character has no block from fetching a powerful spell other than a skill check. There is some midigation, but not much. Lets look at a level one Sha'ir
Deplomacy ranks 4
Charisma mod 4
Sinergy from bluff 2
- this nets an 10
Not bad. Lets take 10
- you have a basic 20
now you get some added help from the class on this check. You get a +1 per Sha'ir level, so there you have 21. Then you get a +2 for knowing the spell. That gives you the 22 you need to cast a known first level spell.
This takes 1d4+1 rounds. You can do this as much as you want and build a buffer of spells that last one hour in memory.

As you level it gets worse. There is nothing stoping you from casting powerful spells you don't know. Get a skill boosting item for deplomacy and go to town with meteor-swarm at low levels.
To cast meteor-swarm takes a high check. Lets see how high
Base DC 20
Spell level 9 = +18
Not known +6
So to cast a 9th level spell you need to hit a deplomacy DC of 44
That's fairly high. Now lets look at when the class can do that by takeing a ten on the roll, so we need a +34 modifier
You get plus one for every Sha'ir level on the check. So you get +x where x is your level
You gain deplomacy ranks as x+3
You gain cha mod at 4+x/8
Now, no magic items, no feats, no nothing you gain deplomacy modifer as 2x+x/8+7
That hits 34 around 13th level.

That bares repeating, you get 9th level spells at 13th level.
You don't even need Sha'ir levels, just deplomacy. You loose some bonus, but there are so many ways to get it back! Take levels in bard! Sha'ir 1 + bard 19, most broken bard ever!

Now add cloak of charisma and other shinanagins to boost diplomacy through the roof.

Please somebody tell me I read something wrong. I don't even want to get started on the posibility for a acid splash that does a negative level at character level 1, becuse you can. You can add metamagic on to these spells! Help, we just found a class more powerful that the wizard!

Gensh
2010-06-11, 08:09 PM
Nope. Can't say about the compendium, but Dragon 315 page 80 definitely has the standard spells per day chart.

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-11, 08:19 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh.

Now I feel silly.
Can't understand how I missed that. I need to not just read the text.

Still a powerful class. Spellbookless wizard that can memorise spells anytime.