PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Magical Items d&d 3.5

Strudel110
2010-06-11, 09:14 PM
I want some interesting magical items, weapons, and armor, something cooler than the standard flamey sword of flameness, so I'm making this thread in hopes that you guys have some cool ideas, I'll add some of my own too.

Gauntlet of Farstrike:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/Strudel-alien/arm.jpg
(sorry about my crappy paint program)
Crafted from the arm of a long dead warrior of fiendish descent, this gauntlet when worn fuses to the wearers arm and can only be removed with a Remove Curse spell. Attacking unarmed with the gauntlet allows the wielder to send an ethereal hand up to ten feet away to attack enemies, giving your unarmed strikes reach, using the gauntlet, the wielder may also attempt to grapple from ten feet away and may grab or otherwise manipulate objects from the same distance. The wielder of the gauntlet, if wielding a weapon with the gauntlet, may not use reach with the weapon, the magic will not work. All unarmed strikes while wielding the gauntlet function like ghost-touch weapons when necessary.

Zombie Cutter:
http://www.blogcdn.com/playstation.joystiq.com/media/2009/08/waw58l.png
Zombie Cutters are +1, undead bane, returning, throwing short swords. Zombie cutters live up to their name, most are recreations but there are six original zombie cutters made for a past party of adventurers who fought in a full scale war against the undead.The originals cannot be bought,only found. Original zombie cutters are +2 and gain the keen effect.
Moderate conjuration, Strong transmutation.
cost: I don't know, if you want to figure it out go for it, because I can't.

Glimbur
2010-06-11, 11:26 PM
Keen is pretty useless against zombies because you can't critically hit undead. Undead Bane would be more appropriate, but kind of generic. More interesting would be a weapon that forces any struck non-sentient undead to make a will save or be no longer controlled by whoever is controlling it. It would also need to make the undead pause or withdraw or something, because as far as I know uncontrolled undead default to "attack". Worth considering though.

Serpentine
2010-06-12, 01:04 AM
Jack-in-the-box
This item looks like an innocuous little box, about 3inches a side. It is decorated with softly-coloured paintings of things like flower fields and ponies. There is a crank on one side, as well as several buttons.
When used, a horrible head leaps out of the box on a spring, causing all who view it (including the user and his allies, unless he looks away) to be panicked for a minimum of 1d6 rounds, unless they succeed on a minimum DC 15 Will save.
Turning the crank for more than one round increases the duration of the effect by 1 round per 4 rounds cranked (max. 1d6+5 rounds) and the save DC by 1 per round cranked (max. DC 35). Turning the crank requires 2 hands, and takes at least one full round (though it can be done as part of one or two move actions). It must be reset, which takes a move action, before it can be used again. The jack-in-the-box can be used several ways:
1. Weapon: The user turns the crank for at least one round. At the end of the round, the Jack is activated, effecting anyone who sees it. The user knows well enough when it will work to close his eyes and warn his allies to do the same.
2. Timer-activated: The user turns the crank for the desired amount of time, and sets the countdown for when it activates.
3. Proximity-activated: The user turns the crank for the desired amount of time, presses the appropriate button, and sets it down. The jack-in-the-box activates when anyone other than the setter approaches within 10ft. It remains set until triggered.
Necromancy; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, symbol of fear; Price 145,000gp; Cost 73,000, 3480XP; Weight 4lb.

Volthawk
2010-06-12, 10:20 AM
Well, I used a random generator (http://chaoticshiny.com/weapongen.php) for an idea.

I got:
Weapon: pike
Alignment: lawful
Wielded By: warriors
Look: ordinary, but eternally clean
Fame: instantly recognizeable
Quirk: has been linked to the assassinations of several rulers
Main Effect: creates solid walls of light
Secondary Effect: none
Restriction: none
Created: to smite the unworthy
Draws Power From: the spirits of past wielders

Time to see what I can do:

Prismatic Finality
This seems to be an ordinary warpike, made by dwarves. However, looking at it, you can see that there is absolutely no signs of it having been around for the time it has. It looks as clean as when it was originally made.

Prismatic Finality was a dwarven-crafted weapon, created by the Axima Clan, dwarves that lived in the most rugged, harsh volcanoes in the world. They had created this pike to enforce their rules, and to kill those that won't worthy of becoming a full member of the clan, since members weren't automatically part of the clan, to be accepted fully they have to pass many trials, part of which was loyalty to the law of the clan. However, the pike backfired, and was used by a lone Paladin to end their killings, ending up killing all members. That Paladin fell, and then went onwards, unbound from his good nature. He slew many corrupt rulers, and was finally killed 3 years after he started. A scholar found the pike, and realised that the pike gains power from it's powerful fallen owners.

Lawful characters count as automatically being proficient with this weapon, which is a +1 Unholy Axiomatic Dwarven Warpike. For Chaotic characters who wield it, it is just a Masterwork Dwarven Warpike. This weapon can be use by non-Chaotic wielders to create a wall of light, which acts a Prismatic Wall effect which only works of Chaotic characters. When a Lawful wielder of over 10th level is killed, this weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, up to a maximum of +5.

Serpentine
2010-06-13, 01:23 AM
"Absolutely no", you say?

Volthawk
2010-06-13, 01:24 AM
"Absolutely no", you say?

:smallredface: Oops. Turns out I sorta didn't finish that line somehow....

Strudel110
2010-06-13, 10:38 AM
Oh man that Jack in the box is awesome!

Serpentine
2010-06-13, 11:55 AM

Debihuman
2010-06-13, 03:35 PM
Serpentine: I'd set the price for the Jack-in-the-box at 145,000 gp (spell level 6 x caster level 12 x 2000 for continuous use plus 1000 gp as spell component).
Cost is 73,000 gp [and includes the 1,000 gp spell component cost] 3480 XP.

If it can only be used 3 times per day, the price would be 87,000 gp (cost would be 43,500 gp and 1740 xp).

Debby

Knaight
2010-06-13, 03:40 PM
Glyph of Purification
The Glyph is a humble article, a large sheet of waxed paper with a circle on it, and various lines.
Any liquid or soil placed on the glyph separates into its component parts. For instance, if a handful of diamond dust and sand were placed on the glyph, a pile of diamond dust and several piles of different sized sand would be sorted out.
Cost: 500 gp
Aura: Slight Abjuration(The Glyph is intended for poisons.)

Lysander
2010-06-13, 04:28 PM
From that random item generator above:

Magical Weapon Generator Forge new Weapon
Weapon: saber
Alignment: lawful
Wielded By: those the weapon chooses
Look: carefully crafted of expensive materials
Fame: known in certain circles
Quirk: none
Main Effect: is indestructable
Secondary Effect: allows the wielder to read emotions
Restriction: causes the owner to become obessed with it
Current Status: locked away
Created: to win a war Draws Power

King's Sword

This +1 mithral blade is affixed to a golden jewel studded hilt. The sword's magic renders it utterly invincible from all forms of harm. Dispel magic or an anti-magic field can suppress the blade's other properties but not this invincibility. The blade can be disjuncted but any attempt to do so only has a 1% chance of success per caster level.

In the hands of a lawful person the blade instead functions as a +3 longsword and allows them to magically sense the emotions of those around them at will. This arcane magic functions like the empathy psionic power.

Each day the blade is used its wielder must make a DC25 Will Save or become obsessed with the sword. When obsessed a wielder must always attempt to keep the sword on their person.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-13, 05:34 PM
Would it be kosher to post links to already-made creations?

Do artifacts count?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-06-13, 05:38 PM
Prices would be nice...

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 03:54 AM
Serpentine: I'd set the price for the Jack-in-the-box at 145,000 gp (spell level 6 x caster level 12 x 2000 for continuous use plus 1000 gp as spell component).
Cost is 73,000 gp [and includes the 1,000 gp spell component cost] 3480 XP.

If it can only be used 3 times per day, the price would be 87,000 gp (cost would be 43,500 gp and 1740 xp).

DebbyCool, thanks for that. I'm not so good at the pricing stuff.

Cunningtub
2013-12-10, 09:29 PM
Magic scissors that can be used to cut portals into a solid surface.

Probably a level 6 or lower magic item do to set rules like use, limitations, and other things that would affect its usefulness.